View Full Version : injury update thread

ibreakhearts66
11-27-2007, 08:41 PM
seems like there are lots of injuries among us right now, so i thought i'd start a thread for them.

i'll go first.

saw the doctor for my ankle today. i had surgery on it last march, and the pain was ok for a bit, but for the past 3 or 4 months its been really bad. finally went to the doctor. he gave me an injection, i'm not sure of what. i think it was a mixture of cortisone and lidocane. because my ankle still hurt after the injection, we're afraid its a peroneal tendon tear. i'm trying not to think about what will happen if it is torn, as i cannot think about ANOTHER surgery. so, I'm having an MRI done tomorrow, and hopefully it'll turn out to be something minor and fixable.

how is everyone else doing?

mandypants
11-27-2007, 11:29 PM
awwwwww I'm really sorry you're having so much trouble right now.. I really hope your current issue is minor and that you feel better fast.

Sessy
11-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Well, I'm just going out of my mind with boredom - no wait that's not the right word - cuz I can't do much of anything.
Boredom isn't the right word because I do have stuff to do. I just can't focus, can't sit still. I need that exercise to feel focussed. :(

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2007, 06:21 AM
Well, I'm just going out of my mind with boredom - no wait that's not the right word - cuz I can't do much of anything.
Boredom isn't the right word because I do have stuff to do. I just can't focus, can't sit still. I need that exercise to feel focussed. :(

Frustration may be the word you are looking for?

::Hugs:: Poor old you.

Husband's knee is better (he forgot to take his glucosamine tablets with him at the weekend, which didn't help), but he is still banned from jumping (by me) for at least another week. Plenty of other stuff he can do instead.

Sessy
11-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Well you're right about that plenty of other stuff thing, that is the one good thing about this ankle thing with me. My spins improved at a rate I didn't think possible. It's good to keep that in mind at times.

Did you have the mri yet, Ibreakhearts?

Morgail
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm actually doing well! Going skating again tonight, and will just stick to stroking & basic stuff. My ankle keeps swelling though. It doesn't hurt much (it gets stiff sometimes), but it swells like crazy. Monday, after work, it was huge! Yesterday I wore boots, which compressed my ankle - it worked, except that it forced the swelling up highter into my calf. My leg looked deformed last night when I took the boots off. Wearing a different pair of boots today, so I'll see how that works.

Hope your MRI turns out okay, ibreakhearts!

ibreakhearts66
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
thanks. i had the MRI today, just got back in fact. hoping to get the results by friday.

i skated today anyways. loops actually hurt more than double loops, and back scratches are no fun, but for the most part i'm able to skate through it. although, at one point i landed a double loop on an inside edge and that KILLED.

sessy-i hear ya on the boredom, or frustration, or whatever you can call it. just keep reminding yourself how much better you will be able to skate when your ankle feels better!

morgail-i figure you will get this when you get back from the rink and not before you leave, so good luck! and just so you know, the swelling will probably last for a while. sometimes the smallest things will just make it puff up. go ice!

Skate@Delaware
11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I'll pipe in with mine...mid-september I "strained" my back moving furniture at home...then a few days later it really hurt and I could barely sit or straighten up. So I went to my chiro and he helped me out. I had a 2 month wait to see my regular doc. In the meantime, the back slowly healed (muscle strain I mean) but the pain went down my leg-major sciatic pain! After 1 trip to the walk-in clinic, 1 to the ER and many muscle relaxers and pain pills, and barely any skating (because my leg was numb from the knee down...felt like wood). I saw my doc and he ordered an MRI.

Diagnosis: herniated disc between L4 & L5. Right where the sciatic exits. Yeah, my dumb luck. So, more chiro, physical therapy, and possibly some sort of injections in the near future.

The good news: some days I can skate and feel my leg/toes...others forget it!

The bad news: with the numbness, I have experienced some muscular weakness and loss of muscle tone in my left leg already. So I have been ORDERED to do barefoot exercises 3-4 times per day while at my desk (I will keep my socks on just to be proper and because I haven't had a pedicure).

The good news: I'm grateful I can skate, walk, etc. I'm trying to remain optimistic. It sucks that I've missed one competition, tho. But I have a big show coming up and it is always nice to look forward to that. My coach said we will start choreography for my competition routine (spotlight) after the show.