View Full Version : Are you a Competitive or Recreational Skater?

FSWer
11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Say,I was just wondering what majority of skaters on this board are Competitive,and Recreational?

airyfairy76
11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Hope to be competitive next year! :)

Skittl1321
11-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm a test only skater (well, and I've done shows)- so I guess that makes me recreational. But I didn't vote because I wouldn't usually call myself that. I'd call myself a test skater.

To me a recreational skater is one who goes to the rink once or twice a year and skates around in circles, many of them can go backwards, do little spins, a non-technical hop, but that's about it. I skate to learn new moves and past tests. I enjoy doing it- and it's fun for me, but I'm wanting to pass! I guess it depends how you define recreational. I definetly skate "for fun" but I think even competitive adult skaters do it because they enjoy competing, not because they think they could land some lucrative endorsements, so "for fun" doesn't seem to be the best way to define recreational.

Then again, the synchro team competes- so I guess in that discipline I'm a competitive skater, but as of right now, I'm not sure if I will be competiting with them.

icedancer2
11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I cosider myself a recreational skater at this point - there is nothing about that that tells me that I just go to the rink occassionally and skate around - it just means I don't compete. I have competed in the past (one year of Synchro) but I don't think you can count that.

I have tested and may test in the future so maybe I am a test skater, but that wasn't a part of the poll!!;)

Rusty Blades
11-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Competitor fersure! I can't help myself, I can't stop myself 8O Less than 2 years since I took up skating and I have skated Nationals (in Canada) and one local competition. I hate coming in LAST but with my pathetic "skill" level, it is appropriate. One day I will actually BEAT somebody! :mrgreen:

renatele
11-27-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm a test skater, too - don't compete, but do more on the ice than skate laps ;) and do test.

Kim to the Max
11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I used to be a competitive skater, however, I hated the pressure of competing...I always froze and couldn't do jumps that I had been doing for years. I think in all of the competitions I entered, I maybe didn't come in last in 4-5 of them.

Now, I'm back skating, but I am a test skater. I am working on my pre-juv freestyle and my intermediate moves with the hopes that I can pass my juv freestyle by the end of the summer so that I can teach LTS lessons, but that all depends on me landing my axel consistently. We'll see if that happens!

flo
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Competitive.

SynchroSk8r114
11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Competitive: University's synchro & intercollegiate team
USFS tester: Intermediate freestyle and Pre-Gold/Gold dances (passed Senior MIF in 2005)

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I do compete but I also participate in shows. In fact, shows are my main focus of skating, this year more than any year because of my injury. I will be passing (maybe) on freestyle in favor of spotlight because of my injury. No great big deal now that I have accepted it. It's my "solo"-doing a spotlight competitive piece.
I skate in 2 major shows a year and have recently skated in the summer show (done on synthetic ice).

AND I DO IT BECAUSE IT'S FUN!!!!! So does that also make it recreational? I think it does!

kayskate
11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
I picked rec but I do more than just skate around. Hope to get back to testing. may compete in spins next season. I also coach. You should add "test skater" and coach/pro to your survey.

Kay

blackmanskating
11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm a soon to be competitor. I'm so excited I can barely contain it.

BlackManSkating

jazzpants
11-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Competitive now. Did take a hiatus for a while to complete my tests to go to Adult Nationals, but now I got those out of the way, I'm back competing again and having loads of fun. :mrgreen:

cecealias
11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
I have never "officially competed" but I don't consider myself a recreational skater by any stretch of the means. Like someone else said here, I think that recreational really means coming out a few times a year and having a spin on the ice. I think that anyone who trains consistently and has serious goals isn't recreational anymore. I believe the biggest competition is yourself. In other individual sports such as track and field, you compete against an absolute standard, such as a meter stick, or against the clock, in addition to competing against other people.

To me, consistently measuring yourself each day/week/month against your past performance is the true mark of a competitor.

I train about 4-5 days a week and up to 2 hrs a day. Also I think having tested all the way up to Novice Moves and being able to do jumps through doubles pretty much speaks for itself. A lot of people who have seen me skate are quite surprised I've never competed. I don't find testing very scary at all, so I'm willing to bet that competing should be less scary because perfection isn't required. One of these days when I have the time, I will find an opportunity to try competition against other skaters.

Scarlett
11-27-2007, 03:38 PM
If I had to choose I would say I'm more of a test skater. Recreational skater doesn't really fit the bill because the one time I competed I absolutely hated it. Right now I'm toying with planning a program for competition (we'll see) and testing the blues.

Sessy
11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Well I've competed and I'll compete again, and I only see tests as an access to certain competitions, my focus is definitely on those. Mom says I'm a little monkey who likes to show off and it's true.
But, let's get one thing clear, I'd keep skating even if I couldn't compete, because it's the best recreation invented by human kind. I'm not one of those skaters who don't see a point in skating if you can't compete. But I might have my focus differently in that case (like, I can dance the basic steps to the Samba - in latin dancing - on skates, karate-kicks on skates and some other stuff like that, but I don't care to work further on that because it doesn't get me anywhere competition or testing-wise).

Still, I agree - recreational skaters are the kind that are at a rink a few times a year, maybe can do crossovers or a shoot the duck but that's about it.

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2007, 06:09 AM
Technically I'm a recreational skater as I have no ambitions to be world-class (be pretty silly if I did!), but I do compete, and therefore consider myself competitive.

Helen88
11-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Definitely rec. I'm only on Skate UK level 7, but I'd love to compete one day. That's my dream :halo:.

coskater64
11-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Competitive. Albeit crippled at the moment, so only artistic,dance and figures this year. But...I shall return....:roll: :roll:

SkaterBird
11-28-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't really say I'm competitive, as I don't compete and cant even practice as often as I'd like with my current schedule. Oh, and I can't actually do anything at the moment apart from a couple of spins and a passable lunge. But as the LOC for Adult Mids was kind enough to open the Pre-Bronze events to no-test beginners and add a beginner artistic event as well, I believe I will be competing at least in spins and artistic in March.

teresa
11-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't know exactly what to call myself. I don't compete or test per say but I wouldn't call myself a recreational skater. I practice daily during the work week and have lessons twice a week. All my skills can always be better but I am trying gold moves and have inspirations to work on a double or two. I'm having fun but I'm serious about doing things well and always being challenged. I've decided not to test as I'd rather spend my skating budget on working with my coach or practicing what I know or what I want to learn. Competing as a skater isn't something that I desire to do. Maybe someday in the rink show but not yet.

teresa

Muskoka Skater
11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm a competitive skater and going to be taking my Pre.Novice in January. I'm also competiting on Saturday and my club is hosting the competition, can't wait!!

kimberley801
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I hope to test and compete. Gotta get the basics down first.
I run into a lot of people who assume since I'm an adult I only piddle around a rink once a week. Who says I can't compete and take skating seriously??!

pille
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Competitive as of this season. I'm very proud of my first bronze and gold. Now I want more medals!:lol:

tidesong
12-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Have been competing for many years now at ISI competitions. Have also competed at Nationals in the 'B' category (older skaters) at first, then adult category. Still plan to compete. Aim is to go to oberstdorf and do well when I am old enough.

icedancer2
12-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I may want to change from a recreational to competitive skaters - we're having Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals here this year and I aim to compete in at least one category - so I guess that makes me competitive!!

I hope someone else signs up for my event as I would hate to have it cancelled and go back to being a recreational skater!!