View Full Version : Mt Pleasant Ice Rink - Baltimore

mdvask8r
11-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Can anyone tell me the status of this rink? The website lists a disconnected phone number and an announcement that the Park & Rec took over from previous management last summer then closed down the rink. Is it open now? Anyone have a phone number?
They used to have a Sunday evening freestyle session. I need to find out if they are open again & still offer this session. Thanks for any info you may have!!

Debbie S
11-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, Mt. P is open, although it will be a seasonal rink from now on (unless things change) - latest is that it will be open from September through March. The new phone number is 443-984-4075. I believe they still have a Sun evening FS session, but I am not sure of the exact time. Word of warning: since the city took over the mgmt, people have sometimes had problems getting info about scheduling when they call. If you have problems, PM me and I'll give you an alternate number (the program director's home number, which for obvious reasons I wouldn't want to post online).

There is a new rink being built in Reisterstown in northwestern Baltimore County, right near the Carroll County line, accessible via I-795. It will open in either December or January.

mdvask8r
11-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks DebbieS!! The # worked -- got me thru to Ruthie, who was just full of information and enthusiasm. :D

mikawendy
11-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Sunday evening FS is 7:15 to 8:45, $15 for the session. Last week, it wasn't very crowded, especially during the last 45 minutes (2 people on ice). It was VERY cold there last week.

mandypants
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm sooo looking forward to trying the Reisterstown rink. Thanks for the info!

Query
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Yes, Mt. P is open...

I maintain a page listing the ice rinks within about 100 miles of D.C., and would like to update the info. Do you have the new web address, if there is one? The best I found so far is

http://www.ci.baltimore.md.us/government/recnparks

but that may not be the main page.

There is a new rink being built in Reisterstown in northwestern Baltimore County, right near the Carroll County line, accessible via I-795. It will open in either December or January.

Do you have a link or other info for this?

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Rumor has it that the Annapolis rink is open...but I believe you have to be military or a guest of a military person. But it has 2 sheets of ice and I'm told that it will be open in the summer!!!! Yay if you are able to use that rink!!

Debbie S
11-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Query, I just responded to your PM. :)

Query
11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Last week, it wasn't very crowded

That kind of comment posted to the whole world wide web may prove self-defeating.

I added what I could to my local ice rink list

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/dcicerinks.html

If anyone finds better info on them than what I've got, I'll be happy to add it.

Reisterstown, scheduled to open in January(?), thinks it can turn a profit under government control, which sounds a bit hard - I wish them well.

pairman2
11-27-2007, 07:17 PM
In my travels today I swung by the new Reistertown location and by the looks of the construction progress, I'd estimate at least 2 months or more until opening. The finish stages are barely started.

flo
11-30-2007, 09:28 AM
I went to Mt. Pleasant last night. It started 15 minutes late and the ice was really really bad! Hope they figure it out soon.

mdvask8r
11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Hmmm, this rink must have it's ups& downs like many do. The session I skated last Sunday was very nice -- on time, not crowded, & nice ice.

Debbie S
11-30-2007, 01:42 PM
It started 15 minutes late and the ice was really really bad! I was there last night for club ice (which also started late as the rink sessions had been pushed back) and the ice was terrible. The problem is they have people doing the resurfacing who don't know how to work the Zam, or drive it for that matter - before the session started, several of us were watching the guy go around and he kept missing large portions. Said the girl standing next to me: "Does this guy even know how to drive the Zamboni?" One coach told me that they are not shaving the ice before they put the coat of water down, hence all the bumps and why the ice is so thick that the dots and lines have all but disappeared. Last night, after the resurface before club, there was a huge pile of snow in the hockey circle area, near the Zam door, and the guy came out to try to sweep it away and he fell - it looked scary but he got up and said he was fine - and I don't know what the Zam did or didn't do to that particular area, but it was really bad - another adult skater remarked that it was like pond ice.

My coach suggested to the club board members that were monitoring at the club ice that we "kidnap a rink" - lol. It was definitely scary doing moves, particularly the 8-step and BI 3-turns. It annoys me, b/c I paid for this ice, and it's contract ice through the club, so it's not like I'll save money if I don't skate on it. I know it's not the club's fault - they're just as ticked off as everyone else - but I sure don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth when I can't practice at the level I should be.

I was in awe of the teenager who was working on Novice MIF and did the back perimeter pattern with the running 3's around the ends and the quick rocker end pattern at full speed. :bow:

flo
11-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Yup. I worked on my edges very early on then gave up and jumped the rest of the session.