View Full Version : Rock Ice Pavillion and nearby skating rinks?

tidesong
11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi, my mum found this rink near her where I am going to visit soon. They don't seem to talk about private lessons on the website. Does this mean it is not offered there? She went there but they said we have to look for prices online. Sounds bad to me already.
http://www.therockice.com/

Any other good skating rinks near it? Thanks.

2salch0w
11-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Rock Ice is a nice little rink and it doesn't get too crowded. I taught there for a number of years when I used to live in Dunellen. But they are very focused on hockey and offer few public sessions and no freestyle times. For this reason, they don't have many instructors (other than hockey) on staff there. Last season there were a couple of group lessons on the weekends, but not a robust program by any means.

Also nearby:

Bridgewater Sports Arena (bsaarena.com) on Route 22 west bound just before Route 287. Take Frontier Rd up the hill.

Princeton Sports Center in Monmouth Jct, NJ. Off Route 1 on northbound side, about 15 minutes south of New Brunswick. Very big group lesson program and many instructors.

Mennen Arena in Morristown, NJ

Floyd Hall Arena in Montclair, NJ

The Vault in Wayne, NJ

Iceland in Hamilton, NJ (near Trenton)

And opening soon, outdoor rink at Roosevelt Park, just behind Menlo Park mall. Also a very big lesson program there.

Tim

tidesong
12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Are any of them accessible by public transport?

2salch0w
12-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Are any of them accessible by public transport?

Princeton Sports Center, Iceland, Mennen and Bridgewater should all be within 15 minutes of a train station. (Perhaps the others as well, I just don't know.) But I don't know if that's helpful - to have to catch a cab after the train.

For Roosevelt Park (the seasonal outdoor rink), it is only about a 5 minute cab ride from either Metuchen or Metropark stations.

But Dunellen (the Rock) is a 2-block walk from the Dunellen train station. So if you can find a session there that works for you, this is probably your best bet.

Tim

tidesong
12-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks, my parents can probably drive me around at night. But I'm not sure if there are ice times then. Hopefully, I can find a good balance. How safe/expensive are cabs?