View Full Version : Appropriate jackson model?

Sessy
11-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Guys, what would be the most appropriate Jackson model for a 150-160 pound adult skating 1 times a week 6 months a year, doing waltz jumps, salchows and having the ambition for some single jumps for the upcoming years? Mystique, Artiste, Classique?
(harder than that isn't sold here anyway, reason I'm asking is cuz local stores have the tendency to push for more expensive models than needed).

FallDownGoBoom
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
The Jackson Competitor isn't an option? That's my suggestion.

Sessy
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
No, otherwise I'd have gotten Jacksons for myself too. Classique is the hardest one sold unfortunately. Will it hold her, you think?

BTW this skater hasn't been able to break in Risport RF3's *at all*.

Skittl1321
11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
I was going to recommend competitor until you said it wasn't available.

If Classique is the stiffest boot sold- then that's probably the only option for Jacksons. I know kids do jump on those- as long as she's not doing GOOD waltz jumps, it might be okay.

Can the blades be changed? I think that would be the biggest problem with these models. The blades are really really bad.

Sessy
11-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Yeah she's already got coronation ace blades.

Okay then :) Thanks.

kimberley801
11-24-2007, 09:14 PM
I recommend Jackson Competitors. I'm in that weight range and that's what my boot fitter suggested. The Mystique, Artiste, Classique will likely break down quicker since they are not as stiff. Plus they probably won't have enough support for an adult skater to do jumps. If you absolutely must order one of the three, go with the Classique. It is the stiffest out of the three.

Remember, there is always the Internet (Ebay)...just be sure to have your friend fitted properly before ordering online.

Rusty Blades
11-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I weigh a bit more than that and I couldn't get enough flex in Competitors or Elites so I used to skate with the top lacing loose which caused ankle problems so in May I switched to ProFlex.

The ProFlex is pricey and they look a bit clunky but they provide lots of support and allow as much ankle bend as you want/need. Speculation is that because of the hinge they will not break down like conventional boots. I know a couple of high level skaters in ProFlex and I haven't heard of anybody replacing them yet.

For me, a number of my elements improved right away because I could get the ankle flex without breaking in the boots and my ankle problems went away because I was getting proper support. You do find a couple more muscles that need to be conditioned when switching to ProFlex because you can not "lean on the cuff or tongue" like many people do but it took me only about 2 weeks to make the complete transition.

If I had to replace my boots for any reason, I would go straight back to ProFlex.

Skate@Delaware
11-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I started in Competitors (I weighed 200+ lbs at the time) and now have Elites (weigh 140 lbs). I would be hesitant to go with anything lower than a Competitor...because they would break down quicker. As for breaking them in-yes the higher up you go the longer it takes. If you can't get them locally, use the internet. Otherwise by buying a less-stiff model you will be buying a new pair every year!

Sessy
11-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Only skating an hour a week for 6 months a year? That's only about 24 hours every year (which kinda explains why she's not broken in the rf3's at all in several years).

Anyway thanks I'll pass on everybody's concerns. :)

blackmanskating
11-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Guys, what would be the most appropriate Jackson model for a 150-160 pound adult skating 1 times a week 6 months a year, doing waltz jumps, salchows and having the ambition for some single jumps for the upcoming years? Mystique, Artiste, Classique?
(harder than that isn't sold here anyway, reason I'm asking is cuz local stores have the tendency to push for more expensive models than needed).

I agree with some of the other posts. Jackson Competitor or higher. Put a Coronation Ace on it and you should be golden.

BlackManSkating

Skittl1321
11-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Sessy- why does she want Jacksons? It seems that only the recreational models are available in the Netherlands- so is there a more appropriate brand available to you all?

Sessy
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Cuz Risport and Edea, the only other brands available, don't suit the shape of the foot - in even the narrowest Edea she can fit 2 feet she says, Risport doesn't fit well anywhere on the foot at all.
Of Graf only Davos and Edmonton are available with nothing inbetween (which is how I got edmonton in the first place), of Wifa only small children's sizes.

So to order anything other than jacksons would mean ordering a skate you can't try on, with no money-return policy or exchange-policy.