View Full Version : I cannot belive my luck: new skates

Skittl1321
11-20-2007, 07:58 PM
So i'm sure most people here are aware of my "need new skates" drama. My skates have been too narrow in the toes and generally cause me to lose all feeling and lately have been turning my big toe completely white.

BUT everything else about them is perfect, and I'm so scared to buy new ones because it's a LOT of money- and well, what if they don't work?

My coach called me to tell me he had a used pair of Jackson Freestyle skates for $50.

I was in competitors so it seemed like a step down. I go to try them on: they are competitors. It's the exact same skate I have, but in a D width, where i have a B.

I tried them on- they kind of feel the same, then I skated in them. The boot feels really nice. The right one actually feels a little short, but the width is better. The skates are really beat up, but still have all their support and no creases, just lots of cuts from what looks like backspins and jumps. The blades have a teeny bit of rust on the side- but it looks the same as my current blades, so I don't think it affects them.

BUT the blade is different- at first, I can barely stroke, it's such a difference. After about 10 minutes I did tenative turns, spins and a waltz jump.

The skates aren't 100% better, but they are a lot better. I decide I'm going to take them. I look at the blade- to see what it is. Hmmm? That name looks familiar. That's a way "better" blade than what I have.

So I ask my coach- do you think this blade will work for me? He tells me it's a huge upgrade, but it shouldn't hinder me, and should really make everything even better once I get used to it.

So, after checking to make sure $50 was really the price, it seemed to good to be true. I wrote a check and brought the skates home.

Then I looked up the price of the blades. The Gold Seals on my new skates usually sell for over $500.

Yep- I now have Gold Seals.

kimberley801
11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Holy cow!!! that is a great deal!!!!! Not only used Competitors for $50, but Gold Seals too!!! Someone is definitely looking out for you.

How would you compare the fit in the heel between the B and D width? I ordered some Competitors in D width due to my wide feet, but I'm afraid my heel might slip. Is there a huge difference in the sizes?

Skittl1321
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Holy cow!!! that is a great deal!!!!! Not only used Competitors for $50, but Gold Seals too!!! Someone is definitely looking out for you.

How would you compare the fit in the heel between the B and D width? I ordered some Competitors in D width due to my wide feet, but I'm afraid my heel might slip. Is there a huge difference in the sizes?

Honestly, it's kind of weird. When I'm not skating I don't notice the difference in the skates at all. They felt exactly the same. When I'm skating the D is more comfortable. My heel already slipped a little in the B width, and did a little in the D width, but I didn't notice a huge difference. (I also wasn't jumping due to the blade difference, though).

My coach tells me that the toe width is what's important. Padding and tighter lacing can fix the heel. Don't know how true that is though.

Debbie S
11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Padding and tighter lacing can fix the heel. Don't know how true that is though.Well, I've heard of skate fitters putting pieces of cardboard or similar material under the heel pad to fill up extra room, but I don't know how successful that is. As for tighter lacing, if you are already lacing them properly (snug through the instep and tying the 'knot' at the ankle area before lacing through the hooks), then the only thing tighter lacing will give you is numb feet and red ankles (and possibly blisters).

I'm not convinced you got such a good deal - I guess for $50, you don't really lose much, and if these skates last you a few months and give you time to save up money for new skates, then fine. But Jacksons are a wide boot, and if your heel slipped in the B widths, it will slip even more in D widths. When you start jumping in them, you will really notice the difference. And as for the blades, I don't know what blades you had before, but if you're like most people and started with a 7' rocker, this is a big adjustment - Gold Seals are 8', which means spinning will be much harder. Plus, someone at your level does not need that blade - elite skaters (Sasha Cohen, for example) wear Gold Seals. If I were you, I'd have your old blades mounted on your new skates. In addition to the blades being beyond your level, they are also a serious mismatch with the boots - generally, you want the boot and blade to be designed for the same level of skating.

Skittl1321
11-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, I've heard of skate fitters putting pieces of cardboard or similar material under the heel pad to fill up extra room, but I don't know how successful that is. As for tighter lacing, if you are already lacing them properly (snug through the instep and tying the 'knot' at the ankle area before lacing through the hooks), then the only thing tighter lacing will give you is numb feet and red ankles (and possibly blisters).

I'm not convinced you got such a good deal - I guess for $50, you don't really lose much, and if these skates last you a few months and give you time to save up money for new skates, then fine. But Jacksons are a wide boot, and if your heel slipped in the B widths, it will slip even more in D widths. When you start jumping in them, you will really notice the difference. And as for the blades, I don't know what blades you had before, but if you're like most people and started with a 7' rocker, this is a big adjustment - Gold Seals are 8', which means spinning will be much harder. Plus, someone at your level does not need that blade - elite skaters (Sasha Cohen, for example) wear Gold Seals. If I were you, I'd have your old blades mounted on your new skates. In addition to the blades being beyond your level, they are also a serious mismatch with the boots - generally, you want the boot and blade to be designed for the same level of skating.

Well for $50 it's definetly worth a try. I can't get split widths- as they are non-returnable, so it's either too narrow in the front or too wide in the back. The too narrow in the front was a HUGE problem. I'll see what I can do with too wide in back.

I know I don't need gold seals at all, which is why I'd never pay for them- honestly I was a bit hesitant about going up to a Protege because the Mirage worked fine, and it seemed silly to spend the money- but my coach said it shouldn't hinder any progress, and he thinks they'll work fine for me. The blade I have now is an Ultima Mirage and it's an 8' radius , so that's the same. (Although radius can refer to two things- right? Maybe I'm wrong with that) I'm keeping my old boot/blade set- so I can mix match whichever components work.

And if my heel really does slip too much and i have to go back to the boot that was causing me to lose feeling in my feet, well I can keep the wide boot for teaching- that will be 2 more hours a week that I can feel my feet!

And if they absolutely don't work- I'm sure I can resell them for at least the $50.

dbny
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
The blade I have now is an Ultima Mirage and it's an 8' radius , so that's the same. (Although radius can refer to two things- right? Maybe I'm wrong with that) I'm keeping my old boot/blade set- so I can mix match whichever components work.

I think you got a great deal and the Gold Seals won't be a problem. My daughter went to Gold Seals from Coronation Aces when she started working on doubles (I got an even better deal on them - $15 on ebay - new!), and she loved them from the first time she jumped in them.

Radius can indeed refer to two things. There is the radius of hollow, which is measured in fractions of an inch and describes the depth to which the blade is ground when sharpened, and there is the radius of rocker, which is the arc of which the bottom of the blade is a part. The way to keep from getting confused is to not used the word "radius" at all. Just use "hollow" and "rocker". You are using it to mean "rocker", and you are correct that since you haven't changed rockers, there should not be a lot of adjustment necessary. Changing hollow can also require adjustment, however. The Gold Seals may well have been sharpened to a 3/8" hollow, and you would feel that if you have been using 1/2". The blades would seem to bite more, and it would be easier to both hold a deep edge, and to catch an edge.

Good luck with these skates, and congratulations on finding them and buying them!

Skittl1321
11-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Good luck with these skates, and congratulations on finding them and buying them!

Thanks, and thanks for the great explanation of the term radius!

I'm just so exicted to have the opportunity to try a good blade. I was thinking it would have a club 2000 or Mark IV or lower on it, because the girl I bought them from is actually a level lower than me. Guess her parents have a bit of expendable income!

The only problem comes when I wear them down. Gold Seals will not be the next blade I buy! But after having skated in them, I can probably justify the $150-200 range blade better, rather than go back to Mirages!

Sessy
11-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Wow, if that doesn't prove there is an Angel of Figure Skating, I don't know what does...

Skittl1321
11-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Wow, if that doesn't prove there is an Angel of Figure Skating, I don't know what does...

Probably this:
(I got an even better deal on them - $15 on ebay - new!),

:)

May cheap skates shine down upon us all!

myste12
11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
What a great deal! My coach goes on and on about how great gold seals are and how they have the smoothest run of any blade she's ever seen. (She'll never get me to give up my Phantoms though!)

I used to have problems with my heels slipping, and I found that sticking a round make-up sponge under the insole in the heel of the skate really helped. It pushed my heel up and into the padding so that it didn't slip as much.

Enjoy the new skates!

patatty
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
That is a great deal. I went from Coronation Aces to Gold Seals and my skating improved a lot. The biggest improvement was in my spins. I found them easier to spin on, even though they have a larger radius.

Skittl1321
11-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I skated on them yesterday for about 30 minutes. The boots feel much better on my toes- but my archs hurt a lot. The ice was horrible, and lots of people said their feet hurt, so it might have been that.

My spins are still not as good as they have been. But I don't think it's the radius, so much as the toe pick is different. I still need to find the right stop. My turns felt really good though, and just regular stroking felt so fast- even on horrible ice. My jumps are about as they were, but the toe jumps were really akward. I don't think I like the cross cut pick yet.

Overall- I like them, I think these will work for $50- definetly don't squish my toes! but I won't buy them when I need new ones..

Morgail
11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Overall- I like them, I think these will work for $50- definetly don't squish my toes! but I won't buy them when I need new ones..

Wow! What a great deal. I'm glad they're working for you. They sound a LOT more comfortable than your old skates.

doubletoe
11-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I skated on them yesterday for about 30 minutes. The boots feel much better on my toes- but my archs hurt a lot. The ice was horrible, and lots of people said their feet hurt, so it might have been that.

My spins are still not as good as they have been. But I don't think it's the radius, so much as the toe pick is different. I still need to find the right stop. My turns felt really good though, and just regular stroking felt so fast- even on horrible ice. My jumps are about as they were, but the toe jumps were really akward. I don't think I like the cross cut pick yet.

What you are feeling with the spins and toe jumps might be the different rocker shape, rather than the rocker radius or toepick shape. Regardless of rocker radius, each type of blade also has a different rocker shape. The Gold Seal rocker has a very full, round bulge that starts right behind the toepicks, and that will put your sweet spot farther forward on the blade, possibly putting you onto your toepick if you aren't used to it yet. The fuller rocker right behind the toepick will also mean you'll need to point your toes more when you pick for a pick takeoff or you could miss your pick. On jump landings you may also need to point your toes more and then push your heel down more to get a solid landing edge. If any of these things sound familiar, it might just be that the rocker shape is different from the blades you are used to.

blackmanskating
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
So i'm sure most people here are aware of my "need new skates" drama. My skates have been too narrow in the toes and generally cause me to lose all feeling and lately have been turning my big toe completely white.

BUT everything else about them is perfect, and I'm so scared to buy new ones because it's a LOT of money- and well, what if they don't work?

My coach called me to tell me he had a used pair of Jackson Freestyle skates for $50.

I was in competitors so it seemed like a step down. I go to try them on: they are competitors. It's the exact same skate I have, but in a D width, where i have a B.

I tried them on- they kind of feel the same, then I skated in them. The boot feels really nice. The right one actually feels a little short, but the width is better. The skates are really beat up, but still have all their support and no creases, just lots of cuts from what looks like backspins and jumps. The blades have a teeny bit of rust on the side- but it looks the same as my current blades, so I don't think it affects them.

BUT the blade is different- at first, I can barely stroke, it's such a difference. After about 10 minutes I did tenative turns, spins and a waltz jump.

The skates aren't 100% better, but they are a lot better. I decide I'm going to take them. I look at the blade- to see what it is. Hmmm? That name looks familiar. That's a way "better" blade than what I have.

So I ask my coach- do you think this blade will work for me? He tells me it's a huge upgrade, but it shouldn't hinder me, and should really make everything even better once I get used to it.

So, after checking to make sure $50 was really the price, it seemed to good to be true. I wrote a check and brought the skates home.

Then I looked up the price of the blades. The Gold Seals on my new skates usually sell for over $500.

Yep- I now have Gold Seals.

I can't believe your luck either. My Gold Seals cost me almost 600 bones and you got a pair for 50 bux???? :bow: Wow!!! Hats off to you!!! Your coach is right!!! It took about a week to get used to but I noticed an immediate difference in my backspin. I switched from Ultimas to Gold Seals almost 8 months ago and I'm convinced that I don't want to wear another blade. They are really great for spins and still provide good stability in jump landings. The toepicks aren't enormous like Patterns and you can get some really deep edges on these things. No wonder most of the elite skaters use these now.

The only warning I can give about Gold Seals is that it may be tough to center your spins initially because the sweet spot on these blades is so huge. The first week all of my spins were traveling cross country. LOL Congrats on the awesome skates.

BlackManSkating

blackmanskating
11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
What you are feeling with the spins and toe jumps might be the different rocker shape, rather than the rocker radius or toepick shape. Regardless of rocker radius, each type of blade also has a different rocker shape. The Gold Seal rocker has a very full, round bulge that starts right behind the toepicks, and that will put your sweet spot farther forward on the blade, possibly putting you onto your toepick if you aren't used to it yet. The fuller rocker right behind the toepick will also mean you'll need to point your toes more when you pick for a pick takeoff or you could miss your pick. On jump landings you may also need to point your toes more and then push your heel down more to get a solid landing edge. If any of these things sound familiar, it might just be that the rocker shape is different from the blades you are used to.

I just noticed that Skittle was switching from Ultimas to Gold Seals like I did. And yeah I did have to point my toe more. My spins were traveling at first because I wasn't forward enough on the blade to center them. I didn't have problems with any toe jumps though. But for the axel, you have to rise all the way to your toe or you could miss your toepick. I really had to learn to take my time on jump entrances with these blades.

BlackManSkating

wasabi
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM

I've been skating for fourteen years, so I've been through 12-15 pairs of skates, and each and every time my arches hurt when breaking them in. Heck, even if I took a week or two off the ice, my arches hurt (and these are custom klingbeils with orthodics which feet my feet perfectly!). Remember that if they're not as broken in as your old skates, you shouldn't be tying them as tightly. It might be the ice, but if it happens again try retying your skates and loosening them a little (just below the ankle).

Skittl1321
11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I just noticed that Skittle was switching from Ultimas to Gold Seals like I did. And yeah I did have to point my toe more. My spins were traveling at first because I wasn't forward enough on the blade to center them. I didn't have problems with any toe jumps though. But for the axel, you have to rise all the way to your toe or you could miss your toepick. I really had to learn to take my time on jump entrances with these blades.

BlackManSkating

You are so far ahead of me skating wise! I don't even have a loop or a full flip yet! (Which is why the blades are much more suited to you.)

Remember that if they're not as broken in as your old skates, you shouldn't be tying them as tightly. It might be the ice, but if it happens again try retying your skates and loosening them a little (just below the ankle).
These skates are actually more broken in than my current ones. But I haven't been able to heat mold them yet. Our zamboni has been broken, so I still haven't tried them on nice ice. The arch pain is way less problematic than the "can't feel my foot" I was experiencing in my other skates.

quarkiki2
11-27-2007, 08:21 AM
WHAT??? THE ZAMBONI IS BROKEN AGAIN??? Man, I hate our zamboni...

stardust skies
11-29-2007, 09:23 PM
My coach tells me that the toe width is what's important. Padding and tighter lacing can fix the heel. Don't know how true that is though.

DEFINITELY not. You fit the heel, and then you accomodate the toes through punching out, stretching, whatever. Fitters at SP Teri have told me this, so has Phil Kuhn of Harlick. You don't fit the toe (in a stock boot). The heel can't be loose in skates, you risk getting serious injuries that way. Padding is pretty hard to redo once the boot is done, but if you're going to get it done- get it done right away. I assume you're talking about inner padding, if you're simply talking about stuffing the back of the heel with a pad under your foot or something, please don't do that, it'll just shift and not hold your heel in place.

Anyway, your coach has it backwards. Make sure your heel fits correctly, or don't skate in them.