View Full Version : where to go next!?!?!

jimjamiejames
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
hi

ive not posted here for some time but still keeping up with skating and enjoying it very much. im currently on skateuk silver award with gold still to come but im wondering what to do after this. are there further levels to learn? whats the next step? i know the kids at my rink (ice sheffield) have a good academy program but at the age of 23 i dont think the rink offers anything past gold hhhmm i really want to go as far as i can, any advice please?

thanks

SynchroSk8r114
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
I know nothing about SkateUK, but as with any program, you can always try private lessons.

fsk8r
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
SkateUK finishes at gold. So you'll probably have to switch to privates. There may be also adhoc group lessons with people your own standard which aren't necessarily organised by the rink but amongst the adults and coaches.
I switched to privates when I got to about gold level (or a bit beyond) and now do a mixture of free and dance and am loving it. In doing privates I discovered a whole new world of skating going on at the rink and now get invited to odd group classes that you wouldn't know existed otherwise, or if you did know exisited wouldn't know how to join.

Good luck and keep skating

jimjamiejames
11-20-2007, 01:16 PM
thanks for the bit of info. i quess i'll have to ask about at my rink and see if i can arrange some private lessons although having tried this once b4 i know most coaches are very busy

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks for the bit of info. i quess i'll have to ask about at my rink and see if i can arrange some private lessons although having tried this once b4 i know most coaches are very busy
They are, but there are some terrific teachers at iceSheffield. Worth asking your favourite group instructor if s/he has a slot for you.

After your Gold Passport, the next step is Level 1 Elements, Free and Moves. Plus, of course, compulsory dance, free dance and variation dance (this one turns into an original dance at or after Level 3, I believe). There are, I think,
8 levels in all, plus the various tests for elite skaters. Most people drop either dance or freestyle by about level 4. You need a full level 6 in any one discipline to train as a judge, and it's preferred if you want to train as a coach, too, although it is possible to train with fewer tests, but it takes a lot longer.

Ice Dancer
11-21-2007, 04:36 AM
You could always speak to coaches now about going on a waiting list. That way when you are ready one may have a slot for you. I done that when I wanted extra lessons to boost me up while doing the lower skate uk levels, and as it happened stayed with them and ditched group lessons!

Good luck! I am sure you will find one with a slot, even if it is on a cancellation basis. You'll probably find that one will come up with a permanent spot very quickly as people do change around their lessons.

fsk8r
11-21-2007, 12:53 PM
once on any waiting list, keep asking the coaches. Sometimes they get cancellations or slots and don't necessarily go to the waiting lists, so they've got to know you want a slot and are therefore on their mind when they're rejiggling. And sometimes you get lucky that way. I've been after a slot since january. got one in september, by asking a coach on the off chance she had a slot. She did and i'm delighted. I ended up with a 30min slot although I was after only 15mins, but after moaning for so long it was sooo difficult to get one, I took what was on offer. I'm glad I've got 30mins now as I still don't have enough time to get through everything!
Also in pestering the coaches for a slot, sometimes, they can make a slot, by taking 15mins off their breaks, etc.