View Full Version : Alternating 3's

momsk8er
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Any advice for outside alternating 3's? My coach wants me to learn them, even though they are not on the adult test anymore. I can do the inside fine now, despite my long struggle with the right inside 3 (I'm CW). But the outsides I can't keep checked. I need to turn my back to the center in order to stay checked, and then I can't make the turn to the next foot. This is so frustrating. I've been working on them for 6 months and it doesn't get better.

If my coach just takes my little finger for a second after I do the turn, I'm fine and can do them perfectly. But that little second of extra stability seems essential.

BTW - I have no issues with back edges, mine are strong and steady.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

double3s
11-20-2007, 11:03 AM
The thing that has really helped me with checking/controlling the FO3s for the step forward is to concentrate on keeping the free leg pulled back and up - don't let it start drifting around. Also to remember to stay upright - no breaking at the waist.

The are really hard; I've been working on them for months also!

kayskate
11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Alt 3s are a really good way to learn control. I assume you are learning them on a hockey line. Are you learning them to test? As I understand 3turns on the hockey line are no longer part of adult testing. There is another pattern that you can see on the USFS web site.

pattern:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultvideos/Moves%20Diagrams/PreBronze%205.pdf

video:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultvideos/Videos%20for%20Web/PreBronze%205.wmv

general page w Adult MITF info:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

Kay

momsk8er
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks, I think maybe breaking at the waist might be an issue with me.

I am not learning them to test, my coach thinks they are good for control, and wants me to master them for that reason.

Isk8NYC
11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I hate alternating threes. Yuck. Still, they are a good exercise, if you don't mind being frustrated. lol

Try two things:

1) do a "figures" change - your skating foot shifts to stop on the line (inside edge,) then you push off that edge onto the other foot. The tracing will show the BI edge curve, then a straight line at the change.

2) think about doing a side toe hop when changing sides. For some reason, it helps keep the free hip up (usually why we touch down) and put the foot in the right position to step onto with the new lobe.

BatikatII
11-20-2007, 04:35 PM
I had to do these for UK interbronze field moves test and one of the things that helped me to check and yet still be able to put the foot down in the right direction to push off for the next one was this: If you do them down the length of the rink, try and find a spot at the far end to keep your eyes focused on. This helps to prevent you going too far round in the check. The body turns but the head stays focused.

We had a chocolate bar advert at just the right place for this and coach used to tell me to imagine I could have that chocolate bar if I didn't lose sight of it!:lol:

eg. If you are starting with LFO 3 you start facing barrier arms out and look along left arm to your spot (choc bar!). Now push off keeping the weight firmly over the skate and body upright with left arm leading. As you do the turn keep your eyes on the prize! You will end up looking more or less along the right arm at the chocolate. Keep right shoulder back to check rotation and you should be in position to step onto right outside edge. (foot is on back inside edge before the push onto other foot but chest is aligned with the long axis and head facing down long axis).The push off's are more or less at right angles to the long axis and the edge takes you round. The hard part for me was trying not to pull the inside edge round after the turn.

I was told to practice very big round half circles with the turn as close to top of lobe as possible to start with and practice the control of the upper body on the back inside edge and keeping weight over the skate which is key.
Once these were mastered we worked on getting a lot more flow and making them a little less curvy to progress down the rink faster.

For me going from RFO3 to LFO3 is easy now but I still struggle to make the left to right transition smooth (though I did pass the test!) as it is harder to turn the foot out in this direction for me.

edited to add:
Hmmm just looked at video from kayskate and that is something different altogether so not sure what you are trying to do now. My advice was for alternating consecutive outside 3's i.e LFO3, RFO3, LFO3, RFO3 etc no crossovers or changes of foot between but maybe that's not what you wanted?

jwrnsktr
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I also struggle with getting "back to the line." What is making a difference though, is where my head is and what I'm looking at. Your head weighs about 12 pounds, so if it's not where it needs to be, it will pull you off. If I'm doing a left forward outside 3, I start with left arm in front, change arms down and close to my body and I look at something on the wall - the clock, a sign, whatever, and keep looking at it as long as I can after I've turned. Try to turn under your arms, if this makes any sense. Also, concentrate on pressing into the ice by isolating the feeling in your inner thigh muscle. It's weird I know, but a coach told me this once and it helps.

doubletoe
11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Great suggestions here so far! I like the one about imagining a side toe tap between the two 3-turns.

What I remember working for me was really looking inside the circle in the direction of travel on the exit of the 3-turn, and keeping the free side shoulder and hip way back and opened out. So for a RFO 3-turn, look over the left shoulder on the exit and keep the left shoulder and free leg way back and opened out. Then do a deep knee and ankle bend as the feet come together in a T position, and push off to the 3-turn in the other direction.