View Full Version : Been outdoor skating yet?

kimberley801
11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Winter is almost here! And I know lots of outdoor rinks are starting to open up. The one in downtown SLC opened up last friday. It was so much fun!!! The ice, once it was zambonied, was nice and glossy.

Anyone else been outdoor skating yet this season? If so, where at? And how was the ice??

kander
11-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I've been to the Winter Lodge in Palo Alto. It was in september and the ice was pretty bad. I'm sure I'll be back at least once or twice before the season is over. I love skating outdoors, especially under the stars on a cold, clear night.

Kevin

Award
11-19-2007, 11:38 PM
I've been to the Winter Lodge in Palo Alto. It was in september and the ice was pretty bad.

That's amazing. I didn't even know it got that cold in palo alto to have an outdoor rink, like cold enough for the surface to stay alright hehe.

kander
11-19-2007, 11:46 PM
That's amazing. I didn't even know it got that cold in palo alto to have an outdoor rink, like cold enough for the surface to stay alright hehe.

You can put a rink pretty much anywhere. It's just a matter of how much money you're willing to spend. The outdoor rink at Squaw Valley is open during the summer where it gets into the 70s.

Kevin

jazzpants
11-20-2007, 12:13 AM
I've been to the Winter Lodge in Palo Alto.Yet another rink I haven't been to in QUITE a while.

Aside from the Embarcadero rink, I'm off to a very slow start on outdoor skating this year. I'm on a mission to get my bracket exercise and a couple of jumps by the time I go on my trip to NYC.

kander
11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Yet another rink I haven't been to in QUITE a while.

Aside from the Embarcadero rink, I'm off to a very slow start on outdoor skating this year. I'm on a mission to get my bracket exercise and a couple of jumps by the time I go on my trip to NYC.

The Winter Lodge is a good adult figure skater rink on wednesday nights. There's a pretty good group of people there. You can usually get some work done too.

wasabi
11-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm waiting for our pond to freeze over. With the warm fall/winter we've been having, I'll probably have to wait a long while, though.

Morgail
11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
No outdoor rinks where I live! :( We used to have one, years ago, but I barely remember skating on it. I think there used to be Christmas shows on it. At least, my mom has pictures of me dressed as an elf, ready to skate at that outdoor rink. :lol:

The only outdoor skating I actually remember doing was in Michigan about 15 years ago. I was appalled by how bumpy and snowy the ice was, and I couldn't do anything but skate around in circles. I had been spoiled by indoor, Zambonied rinks.

TimDavidSkate
11-20-2007, 11:05 AM
At Lasker Rink - I hate it when Im going for a jump and the wind blows - I have to bail out of it :halo:

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Probably won't go to skate - skating on a hyper-crowded public session on a half-sized rink? I don't think so! Might go to an exhibition if I hear of one happening in time. And Husband and I want to visit the [url=http://www.hydeparkwinterwonderland.com/]Hyde Park Winter Wonderland[/quote], perhaps next weekend - Christmas markets are always good fun!

Sessy
11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Well winter isn't almost here over here! I saw a blooming dandelion today. 8O
C'mon people it's almost Saint Nicolaus, it's supposed to be, well, hot chocolatemilk weather!

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Well winter isn't almost here over here! I saw a blooming dandelion today. 8O
C'mon people it's almost Saint Nicolaus, it's supposed to be, well, hot chocolatemilk weather!
Hop across the Channel - it is, here in London!

I'm glad to hear it's warmer in Europe, though, as we are off to Dunkerque on Thursday, and it's normally absolutely FREEZING there, and even colder inside the rink!