View Full Version : Rinks in San Francisco

Emberchyld
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

I'm going on a week-long business trip to S.F. shortly and wanted to know if anyone can give me any info about rinks in the city. I will be staying near Union Square and will not have a car, so I'd ideally like to be able to walk or take (straightforward) public transportation to the rink. I won't have a lot of time to skate, but if I can eke out at least 1 freestyle session, I'll be happy.

Thanks in advance for any rink advice!

Isk8NYC
11-19-2007, 05:42 PM
You do know about the main "find a rink" sites, right?

www.arenamaps.com (http://www.arenamaps.com)
www.rinkfinder.com (http://www.rinkfinder.com)

There's one for Southern California specifically, but I don't have the link handy - anybody?

emkayy
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
SF is in northern CA not southern so that site won't really help them :) When I was in SF I went to the Yerba Buena rink, and it's super nice! I'm not sure how far it is from Union Square or anything, but if you can get there I definitely recommend it! They also have tons of public and freestyle times basically any time of any day.

http://www.skatebowl.com/

icedancer2
11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
The Yerba Buena rink is not that far from Union Square - it is on the other side of MArket Street from Union Square and further towards the bay but it is probably within walking distance.

Where is jazzpants when you need her - I am quite sure she skates there!

Emberchyld
11-19-2007, 07:59 PM
8O OMG, I sooooooo want to skate at Yerba Buena. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Hmmm, from the Mapquest map, it doesn't look toooooooooo far from my hotel. I'm sure I can pester the concierge to get me proper directions there.

Thank you!

Now... off to figure out how to pack my skates in my suitcase without making my business suits smell like feet :mrgreen: :halo:...

jazzpants
11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Where is jazzpants when you need her - I am quite sure she skates there!She's RIGHT HERE!!! :mrgreen: :lol:

Union Square is a short walk to Yerba Buena! Assuming you're at Stockton and Geary... you walk a couple of blocks from there to Market, cross Market St. to 4th St. Then go three blocks to Folsom, turn left (no need to cross the street where the Subway is...) and take the elevator up to the 2nd floor to the rink.

If you're feeling lazy, take the 30 Stockton from Stockton and Geary and get off at Folsom and 4th St.

Website is here: http://www.skatebowl.com

When are you planning to skate? Perhaps I might get to meet you and say hello. (I take lessons Wed. mornings at the 7:45am session. Just look for purple figure skates...)

Emberchyld
11-19-2007, 09:13 PM
When are you planning to skate? Perhaps I might get to meet you and say hello. (I take lessons Wed. mornings at the 7:45am session. Just look for purple figure skates...)

I'm flying in on Tuesday, so if my flight isn't too delayed, I'll probably skate one of the afternoon freestyles (I'm coming in too late for public. Darn). But once the conference starts, I probably will only be able to get away with a morning freestyle (since I'm working 6:30 some mornings and 7:30 others). Is it safe enough to walk around early in the morning or should I be lazy at that point?

BTW, that rink looks absolutely lovely!

AnnM
11-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Is it safe enough to walk around early in the morning or should I be lazy at that point?

I used to take lessons during 7am sessions at Yerba Buena and then would walk to work near Union Square. The walk is totally doable, maybe a 1/2 a mile or so depending where exactly in Union Square you are. I always felt safe that early in the morning. It was actually enjoyable to walk around that part of the city when things were still relatively quiet and uncrowded -- like seeing the city waking up. 8-)

jazzpants
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm flying in on Tuesday, so if my flight isn't too delayed, I'll probably skate one of the afternoon freestyles (I'm coming in too late for public. Darn). But once the conference starts, I probably will only be able to get away with a morning freestyle (since I'm working 6:30 some mornings and 7:30 others). Is it safe enough to walk around early in the morning or should I be lazy at that point?Yes, it's safe to walk around in the morning. The trouble I usually have with that neighborhood is usually evenings and weekend afternoons... sometimes weekday late afternoons too. You get a few homeless guys in front of Whole Foods nearby. (Yes, there is a Whole Foods if you like their stuff. It's certainly one of my saving graces!!! :halo: ) Since you're not driving there, you won't have to worry about car break-ins either.

BTW, that rink looks absolutely lovely!Then you will definitely enjoy skating in it! The ice is wonderful (usually... :halo: ) too. Good figure skating ice!

kander
11-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Yes, it's safe to walk around in the morning. The trouble I usually have with that neighborhood is usually evenings and weekend afternoons... sometimes weekday late afternoons too. You get a few homeless guys in front of Whole Foods nearby. (Yes, there is a Whole Foods if you like their stuff. It's certainly one of my saving graces!!! :halo: ) Since you're not driving there, you won't have to worry about car break-ins either.

Wasn't there a couple of fatal shootings right outside the Metreon the last few months? Normally it's a relatively safe area, but I'd be leary of hanging out around the Metreon or YB late at night

Kevin

jazzpants
11-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Wasn't there a couple of fatal shootings right outside the Metreon the last few months? Normally it's a relatively safe area, but I'd be leary of hanging out around the Metreon or YB late at nightSadly there was a shooting that happened just last week (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/15/BA43TCPCS.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea). Totally senseless too! It was all over an argument over someone not going down the escalator fast enough. (Since when do we walk DOWN the escalator anyway, never mind have a speed limit for not going down the stair fast enough on an escalator? I mean, if you can't walk it, just step aside and let people thru already! Sheesh!!! STUPID KID SHOOTER deserves to be tried as an adult!!! :evil: :roll: )

Emberchyld
11-21-2007, 07:49 PM
Eesh. Okay, so I won't be trying to sneak away to the evening public skate8O .

I'm staying at the Palace Hotel (I couldn't remember where, except that it was near Union Square), so I'll guess it's still an okay walk. Would my Zuca scream "mug me" if I drag it through the streets (and would I be better off with my old-fashioned saddlebag?)

Thanks for the heads up about Whole Foods, Jazzpants! Convention/Meeting food (especially breakfast, as we shovel it down at the booths) is notoriously fatty and over-carb-y, so maybe I'll pick up some fruit and oatmeal on my walk back.

My coworkers already think I'm crazy for having scoped out a rink (while they're on the hunt for the best bars), but I'm excited. This may be the first convention where I won't have to fight for a treadmill or gain weight:D

jazzpants
11-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Eesh. Okay, so I won't be trying to sneak away to the evening public skate8O .Well, if you're in Monday night, I can give you a ride back to the hotel so you wouldn't have to walk back, but we (hubby and I) do leave like 10-15 minutes before the session ends. (Hubby walks me to my car but we drive separately in our respective cars. Yes, isn't he nice? He comes all the way to the rink and spends money on parking just to walk me to the car to make sure I'm safe from muggers.) You can meet "Michelle Kwan" (aka my primary coach) then!!! :P

I'm staying at the Palace Hotel (I couldn't remember where, except that it was near Union Square), so I'll guess it's still an okay walk. Would my Zuca scream "mug me" if I drag it through the streets (and would I be better off with my old-fashioned saddlebag?)You're probably better off with the saddlebag, though both would scream "mug me." (Those Jansport backpacks are more likely to not scream "mug me.") Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's only 3 blocks and if you stay on 3rd St. you're fine. (I see that you're on New Montgomery... you are definitely between Union Sq. and SOMA.)

Thanks for the heads up about Whole Foods, Jazzpants! Convention/Meeting food (especially breakfast, as we shovel it down at the booths) is notoriously fatty and over-carb-y, so maybe I'll pick up some fruit and oatmeal on my walk back.And they do have fruit and (precooked) oatmeal there at the hot foods section. (Which is NOT the precooked self-serve section -- you have to ask someone for oatmeal.) Of course, if you mean the dry pack oatmeal that you put in your pocket, they have that too, among other options...

My coworkers already think I'm crazy for having scoped out a rink (while they're on the hunt for the best bars), but I'm excited. This may be the first convention where I won't have to fight for a treadmill or gain weight:DBars... skating rinks... what's the difference? Both will bring you satisfaction in the end! (Only difference is that one of them legally requires you to not get behind the wheel afterwards.) :twisted: :P :lol:

Emberchyld
11-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, if you're in Monday night, I can give you a ride back to the hotel so you wouldn't have to walk back, but we (hubby and I) do leave like 10-15 minutes before the session ends. (Hubby walks me to my car but we drive separately in our respective cars. Yes, isn't he nice? He comes all the way to the rink and spends money on parking just to walk me to the car to make sure I'm safe from muggers.) You can meet "Michelle Kwan" (aka my primary coach) then!!! :P

Unfortunately, I'm only flying in on Tuesday at around lunch, but thank you for the offer! Your hubby sounds so nice (I've gotta get me one of those skating supportive guys!).

You're probably better off with the saddlebag, though both would scream "mug me." (Those Jansport backpacks are more likely to not scream "mug me.") Meh, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's only 3 blocks and if you stay on 3rd St. you're fine. (I see that you're on New Montgomery... you are definitely between Union Sq. and SOMA.)

Backpack it is. :D

And they do have fruit and (precooked) oatmeal there at the hot foods section. (Which is NOT the precooked self-serve section -- you have to ask someone for oatmeal.)

Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that I'll be able to have a real breakfast and won't be tempted by copious amounts of danishes and chocolate ship muffins :twisted: when I get back to the hotel. (You would think they'd serve healthier things at a medical conference, but noooo... they never do!)

Bars... skating rinks... what's the difference? Both will bring you satisfaction in the end! (Only difference is that one of them legally requires you to not get behind the wheel afterwards.) :twisted: :P :lol:

:lol: And you have the potential of being carried out of both!

Thanks so much for the help jazzpants! (and all of the other SF skaters!) I'm really looking forward to this!

Emberchyld
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help in finding a rink last week! Yerba Buena was beautiful-- I was able to skate there twice, and found the ice great and the skaters and coaches really nice. What a great suggestion!

Thank you all!