View Full Version : double 3s

peanutskates
11-19-2007, 02:50 PM
heeelp!
in my program, I have two mohawks (well, barrel rolls, really) followed by a RO double 3. it's pretty much 50% successful... but what I'm really looking for are tips to make it smooth and confident, because right now I'm throwing myself in (figuratively speaking...) and hoping I won't trip and fall:roll:

thanks

blackmanskating
11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
This one is tough. I have some double 3's in my Bronze Free Test program and I struggled with them initially. RBO double 3's are the easiest for me because I use them for my entry into my loop jump. It helps to keep your free leg close to your body while doing the 3's. When I first started them my leg was everywhere. In order to make my double 3's smoother I had to treat them like single 3's at first. What I mean is once I did the first RBO 3 I would let the RFI edge ride for a second and then do another 3 to the RBO again. As I got comfortable, I gradually started decreasing the pause between the 3's. Deep edges also make it smooth too. Get down in your knee and deepen the outside edge until it sounds like the ice is crunching under your blade. My coach loves that sound. It really makes it a bit easier to flow out of the 3 so that you have enough speed for the second one. Footwork is tough man. I think it's harder than jumps.

BlackManSkating

Kim to the Max
11-19-2007, 03:34 PM
These are on the US Juvenile (FO and FI) and US Intermediate (BO and BI) Moves in the Field Test...they are also somewhere on the adult track...

But, for me the key is where I put my leg, and making sure it's not swinging around wildly (which for me a good point of the toe works very well), watching my upper body to make sure that's not all over the place (basically, I'm saying you've gotta' have some control :) ), and finally, the timing...if you look at the patterns, (http://www.denverfsc.org/moves/juv4.html and http://www.denverfsc.org/moves/int4.html) you will see that the turns are pretty much on either the 1/3s or in the case of the back double3s, they are on the 1/2 and a little after the 1/3. I would suggest trying these like you would regular 3turns on a 1/2 circle. Right now, I'm working on the BO and BI, and for the BO I actually am trying to increase my time between turns so make sure I'm getting the timing right, and with the BI, I'm doing something funky with dropping my shoulders which makes me crank through the turn, which makes my coach a little nervous :)

peanutskates
11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Footwork is tough man. I think it's harder than jumps.

and the falls you take from tripping up on footwork are so much worse than from jumps! ugh.

peanutskates
11-21-2007, 02:39 PM
thank you everyone for your help!

I can now do RO double 3's!

yay! :)