View Full Version : A question about Synchro.

FSWer
11-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Say,I have a question to all Synchronized Skaters out there who may be able to answer this. What I was wondering is this...when your on a Team and someone asks you your name,from what I understand your not supposed to give out your name. Yet I know a lot of famous Teams when they put up a website post the Roster of skater's names right up there on the site, were the entire world can see it. Does anyone happen to know what makes the Internet exempt from not posting names? Thanks.

SynchroSk8r114
11-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I know for my team, we're not supposed to discuss our team name on forums like SynchroBoards, or even ones like this, really. I mean, it's okay so long as we are fairly anonymous and keep all information about our team in a minimum or make it very vague, but we aren't supposed to be making predictions about other teams, gossiping, revealing programs or information about our season, etc.

For instance, I couldn't say that (insert my team name here) is skating to (insert our music here) while wearing (insert dress description here) with (insert how many skaters we've got) and that we're hoping to beat out a certain team; however, I can put that "my team is skating open-collegiate this year and will be attending competitions X, Y, Z..."

I've also heard of team who aren't supposed to post at all on skating forums, Facebook, MySpace, etc.; however, my team's coach isn't that strict yet - we haven't had any instances where people have pushed the limits on revealing team info.

Rosters, however, are fine. Many teams have websites where they list information about their skaters, such as name, year, major, synchro/skating background, etc. I guess it all depends on that certain team's rules or (if affiliated with a college/university) their school.

FSWer
11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I know for my team, we're not supposed to discuss our team name on forums like SynchroBoards, or even ones like this, really. I mean, it's okay so long as we are fairly anonymous and keep all information about our team in a minimum or make it very vague, but we aren't supposed to be making predictions about other teams, gossiping, revealing programs or information about our season, etc.

For instance, I couldn't say that (insert my team name here) is skating to (insert our music here) while wearing (insert dress description here) with (insert how many skaters we've got) and that we're hoping to beat out a certain team; however, I can put that "my team is skating open-collegiate this year and will be attending competitions X, Y, Z..."

I've also heard of team who aren't supposed to post at all on skating forums, Facebook, MySpace, etc.; however, my team's coach isn't that strict yet - we haven't had any instances where people have pushed the limits on revealing team info.

Rosters, however, are fine. Many teams have websites where they list information about their skaters, such as name, year, major, synchro/skating background, etc. I guess it all depends on that certain team's rules or (if affiliated with a college/university) their school.

Can someone also please give me an example of a VS. is ok to say. Along with what was just posted?

Summerkid710
11-15-2007, 01:53 PM
It also not good to say...."I heard that Team XYZ is skating to Carmen and they have a traveling iron lotus pamchenko." Like SynchroSk8r114 said, you just never want to reveal details of yours or anyone else's program.

I personally think it is a bad idea to have rosters on public websites. It's privacy issue and especially important to never reveal kid's names online. It would be very easy to find out when a practice was and go to the rink.

FSWer
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Is there anything on-line that list something like the Code of Effist (I know that last word is spelled wrong,LOL) for when your a Synchro. Skater? That is....is you can use it in that contex. I also personally think for example that if a Skater from one Team is to speak with a skater from another Team,that I hardly think the rival Team is going to come bustin' down the door killing THAT Team so that they can win. LOL.

SynchroSk8r114
11-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Is there anything on-line that list something like the Code of Effist (I know that last word is spelled wrong,LOL) for when your a Synchro. Skater? That is....is you can use it in that contex. I also personally think for example that if a Skater from one Team is to speak with a skater from another Team,that I hardly think the rival Team is going to come bustin' down the door killing THAT Team so that they can win. LOL.

I agree that a rival team would probably not try to "kill" a rival team; however, this sport is highly competitive, so you have to be careful in other ways. You wouldn't want another team to find out the contents of your program, for instance, which may cause them to up the difficulty of that team's program so that they can beat you by earning higher scores.

As for a Code of Ethics, I googled around and found some various examples from synchro teams across the U.S. This one (http://www.geocities.com/kincardineskatingclub/synchro.html) is a pretty good example regarding team expecations and commandements.

FSWer
11-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I agree that a rival team would probably not try to "kill" a rival team; however, this sport is highly competitive, so you have to be careful in other ways. You wouldn't want another team to find out the contents of your program, for instance, which may cause them to up the difficulty of that team's program so that they can beat you by earning higher scores.

As for a Code of Ethics, I googled around and found some various examples from synchro teams across the U.S. This one (http://www.geocities.com/kincardineskatingclub/synchro.html) is a pretty good example regarding team expecations and commandements.

What's an example of how they can find out? They can't spy..it's ilegal.

SynchroSk8r114
11-16-2007, 08:35 PM
What's an example of how they can find out? They can't spy..it's ilegal.

No, not by spying. Perhaps by reading comments on skating forum websites, especially like SynchroBoards.