View Full Version : Harlick skates question

emkayy
11-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm currently skating in Klingbeils, but having sooo many problems with them. I took them to a pro shop and had the woman fit me for other skates so I could buy some used ones while I send my Klingbeils back to New York. (My old skates are basically unuseable they were that bad.) She found a lot of problems with my *custom* Klingbeils; they're too narrow in the ball and too wide in the heel which is causing me blisters, something is going on where there is too much pressure being put on my outside left ankle bone and causing me to limp when I walk (and the pain has spread up my leg), and on one the toe seam is out of line. She also thinks the person who originally fitted me for them didn't mention my heel goes straight up instead of curving.
Anyway, I'm looking at used skates both at her shop and online. I have the option of skateable but broken down Hi-Tester Harlicks or a little used but perfectly fine Finalist Harlicks. I'm 5'6, 110 lbs, and working on (but far away from fully rotating) my axel and 2sal. What do you guys think? I have one friend in the Hi-Testers working on 2loops and another in Finalists working on the same thing, so I don't know which to choose. My coach doesn't really know anything about Harlicks, I told her there is the Classic, Competitor, Hi-Tester, then Finalist so she says either of the top 2 but isn't really sure either. I searched on Google for information since the Harlick site has no helpful information, and found one place that says the Finalists are like cement blocks... but, that came from only one person and these are used, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes.
Thanks to anyone who can help me!

ibreakhearts66
11-15-2007, 01:31 PM
i skated in custom harlicks for years, and i had the hi-tester strength. those were great for me, and i was working on double axels in them. the finalist may be too much boot for you, but i would say both would be fine.

just a word of warning tho, you mentioned that your klingbeils were too narrow in the balls of your feet--harlicks are quite narrow through the balls of the feet and into the toe box. just thought i'd mention that to you...

emkayy
11-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks :) I talked more to the woman who's selling the Finalists, and she said her daughter wore them doing doubles for about 6 months. I asked about the strength and she said that since they are used and have been skated in doing the elements her daughter was doing, the strength is probably more to a Hi-Tester level now anyway. Which is great for me, and the Finalists she is selling for cheap so I'm going to go with those.
Also, I do know about the Harlicks typically narrow, but they fit my feet completely... does that make sense? My own customs don't feel like they're gloves on my feet, but the Harlicks in this certain size certain width feel exactly right. So I'm really excited to get them!! :D