View Full Version : music times cutting

littlekateskate
11-12-2007, 09:39 PM
okay so i am trying to cut music for my child because i dont want to pay my coach to do it :(

However I am curious as to seconds of leeway? (sorry spelling)

Anyways.... I know for Alpha-Delta it says 1 min.. but i also noted on my childs previous cd the coach made (tot level) it said 1:03. Do they allowe you to be a second or to short or over?

chowskates
11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
okay so i am trying to cut music for my child because i dont want to pay my coach to do it :(

However I am curious as to seconds of leeway? (sorry spelling)

Anyways.... I know for Alpha-Delta it says 1 min.. but i also noted on my childs previous cd the coach made (tot level) it said 1:03. Do they allowe you to be a second or to short or over?

For ISI, you can be 10 seconds plus-or-minus the required time.

singerskates
11-13-2007, 02:16 AM
If you're in Canada and it's a child skater, yes you can have anywhere from -10 seconds to +10 seconds. CanSkate FS requires a 1 min program which means the music can be anywhere from 50 seconds to 1:10. But the best thing to do is to get the music cut as close to the one minute mark as you can. Generally it is best not to go beyond 1:08 so that if your skater/child is late ending with the music, they won't go over time. Also, you don't want to go less than 55 seconds in case your child's nerves get the better of them and they end up skating faster than expected.

The above is true for all levels not including adult skaters, as our event times have Max Times. In Canada last year the Max Time for Adult Bronze (Prelim) was 2 mins 40 secs. Most of us kept our programs to 2 mins 30 secs or less so that we didn't go over the allowed time.

When burning the skating music to CD, use a Sharpie and only write your child's name on it and the music time. Let your child's coach write the other needed information on it. Make at least three CD's; one for the rink, two for competition. Also, make a tape from the CD as some competitions require tapes as backups or some of the competitions have old systems and can't play music CD's created on computers.

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
For NISA competitions (just for the sake of completeness!) it's normally plus or minus 5 seconds. But read the instructions for the competition, as it is almost always stated in them.

Tennisany1
11-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Be sure to check the volume, I believe there is usually information in the competition package (at least here in BC,) because there is nothing worse that music the won't play loud enough in the arena. The lead in time may also be specified so you should look for that as well. I would make one copy and take it too the rink to check out how the volume and any cuts sound before you make the extras. Finally, check out each copy at a practice session so you are sure they all work perfectly.

Isk8NYC
11-14-2007, 07:07 AM
For ISI, you can be 10 seconds plus-or-minus the required time.Use a regular player (not the computer) and time it with a stopwatch. Not every ISI competition uses a laptop for music & timing.

Timing starts when the music begins playing and the skater makes any movement. (Used to be just the feet)

Timing ends when the skater stops moving.

There's a duration grade markdown (aka: deduction) if the program is more than 10 seconds too long. The judges ignore anything after that time.

No penalty for having the program be too short, though!