View Full Version : What's the story behind your username?

doubletoe
11-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I know this has been asked before, but it's been awhile, and "Vesperholly" just got me wondering, LOL!

What's the story behind everyone's username? I chose Doubletoe because I was hesitant on the jump and was hoping I would feel more "at one" with it if I made it my username (it hasn't worked yet, but I haven't given up!)

Scarlett
11-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Mine is two-fold:

1. I had auburn hair when I was younger (very striking when you are black) and

2. I was always told I had Scarlett O'Hara's personality. I come off very quiet and proper but I definitely have a determined streak.

jazzpants
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Way back when I was a budding FS skater, I had a thing about wearing skating dress (as in "I HATE it and why are we required to wear those God awful things anyway!?!?! It's too COLD!!!") I hated the fact that skating dress make you look either too young or too old. I basically said back then "Except for tests and competitions, I'll wear a skating dress when pigs fly!!!" :twisted:

So my username pretty much describes what I usually wear to skate to practice. And of course, since then I have relaxed that rule a bit and wore a skating dress ONCE to practice for a test or a competition. Otherwise, chance are good you won't catch me wearing a skating dress!!! :twisted:

FSWer
11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Mine is short for our old chatboard. Figure Skating World= FSWer. When we changed I just kept it.

dbny
11-12-2007, 07:51 PM
My initials and where I live. Not very imaginative, and I've often wished I'd put more effort into choosing my user name, but too late now :roll:.

Clarice
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Mine is for CLARinet and ICE skating, which is how I spend most of my time. It is not in any way related to my real name, or to The Silence of the Lambs.

Kim to the Max
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
"Kim to the Max" was a nickname a student group I advised in grad school gave to me and it kinda stuck. :D :D :D Even the students I work with now, tend to call me that...

jskater49
11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Mine's not so original...and now I'm 50 and can't really change my username every year..

j

slusher
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
....filling in the toepick holes at competitions......

tidesong
11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I made mine up a long time back (along with a good number other names) and this one I ended up using the most, so I stick to it whenever I can. Of course some places its taken up so I use the other nicks I created. This is quite obviously tide and song and it just came from wanting to make a nice nick that related to the sea, esp since I live on an island...
Its wierd though because alot of people tell me this nick sounds rather masculine... hehe

SynchroSk8r114
11-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Well, mine's pretty self-explanatory. I am a synchronized skater on my university's intercollegiate team (SynchroSk8r) and my birthday is November (11) 4th (4). So, SynchroSk8r114...;)

sk8tmum
11-12-2007, 09:40 PM
defines my skating life: I'm "mum" whenever a kid needs to get the arena; crashes on the ice; needs new skates; or needs new attire.

(I'm MMMMMUUUUUMMMMM!!! every time I embarrass them with my lack of knowledge of/ability to, skate).

And being of British extraction, mom/mommy just doesn't work for me:D

icedancer2
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
icedancer was the screen-name I had for the first skating board I joined. When I joined skatingforums, there was already an icedancer and so I chose icedancer2 - but I've always suspected that I was the original "icedancer" on this forums also...

I would actually like to change my screen-name - can that be done?

double3s
11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
My LJ username is 3turn and I chose it because they were so difficult for me to learn. But when I changed my email over to google, and when I signed up here, 3turn was too short for a username - so I chose double3s, which is one of the many things that I currently struggle with.

chowskates
11-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I suppose my current username is pretty obvious... I'm Chow, and I skate!
What's funny is that "chow" sounds like "smelly" in one of the Chinese dialects... "good play on words", a friend of mine said.

For years, I have also been using the username "salchow" - that started in my second competition ever - after I came off the ice at the end of my program, I asked a friend whether I remembered to do the salchow. "Of course", she said, and they started calling me sal-chow.

Sessy
11-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Sessy comes from Seska, a character in Star Trek Voyager, in the first season mainly. She's a spy amongst the crew.

The funny thing is that it's an old nickname, I've used it ever since I came online, and that people would just *not* believe that I was female at first. Of course ever since the female population of the internet multiplied by 10 compared to the male population, and I stopped playing 1st person shooters.

By the way there's another Sessy from Russia with a weblog, and she has nothing to do with me. And tons of people from Japan or something like that, apparently Sessy is also some japanese cartoon or movie character or something.

airyfairy76
11-13-2007, 02:21 AM
Nothing to do with any lightness or poise across the ice . . . :twisted:

It was from another forum about some very complicated cross stitch I was doing - of a fairy. And the 76 is my year of birth.

It kind of stuck, and I have used it ever since.

It is also a little suitable as I tend to daydream somewhat . . . .

singerskates
11-13-2007, 02:37 AM
I've had nicknames all the way back to before the internet back in the 70's when I was using CB radios as a teen. Back then I didn't skate nor did I know of skating and on the CB's I was known as singingstrings because I was (still am) a singer and I played guitar.

Since taking up skating at the age of 38, I went with singerskates because well I'm a singer songwriter who skates. I've had some of my singing on radio and TV. I've also had some of my songs recorded by other music artists. I've been competing in skating since I've been 39 and have been at 3 of the 4 Skate Canada Adult Championships so far. This is why I'm known all over the internet as singerskates.

SkatingOnClouds
11-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Goodness knows where Skating On Clouds came from! Not sure if I meant like drifting gracefully across the ice, or that my ability to drift gracefully across the ice was a daydream, head in the clouds :)

When I joined the forum I was using the id Celliste, which came from a cello player forum. As I no longer play cello, it just didn't seem appropriate anymore.

Mind you, I've been thinking of asking a forum moderator if they could change mine again for me, as SoC isn't feeling right these days.

Maybe all the people here who picked something quickly and don't feel it applies anymore would like to do the same. Maybe we should have a bulk name change - I'm sure a lot of us can come up with some interesting new monikers that could raise a few laughs.

twokidsskatemom
11-13-2007, 03:00 AM
twokids that skate;) :o

Bill_S
11-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Mine is farily obvious, but I wish I had used my FULL name instead of being so chicken.

I used my full name in the old days of the RSSIR skating newsgroup (as had many others), but came here and saw all the nicknames being used. Feeling a bit unsure, I created this hybrid, not-quite-nickname to use. In hindsight, that was cowardly.

Now I'm going to my corner to sulk...

BuggieMom
11-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Ever since my dd was a baby, I called her my "love bug"...I know, so original. Over the years, it has shortened to "bug" or "buggie". Hence, I am...BuggieMom....(trumpet blast) super skate mom and defender of the universe! :bow:

I also have this for one of my email addys.

I guess my life quite literally revolves around her. That's gonna need therapy someday!

SkaterBird
11-13-2007, 08:22 AM
My nickname for my beautiful hockey-playing daughter is "Bird" or versions of bird, because her Chinese name means "Young Spring Bird." I called her my skaterbird one day and she told me that she is the hockeybird and I am the skaterbird. Hence the username.

flo
11-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm with doubletoe's thinking - I wanted to flow.

Airfairy - let's see the cross stich!

momsk8er
11-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, obviously I guess, I'm a mom and a skater. My daughter skates too, and much better than me.

coskater64
11-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Not creative at all I live in Colorado, CO--I am a skater, and I was born in 64. Currently it should be changed to CO, walker and XX since I am at the point in my life where I no longer like to reveal my age.

Leslie:D

cherriee
11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
my username is my real name with an "e" at the end. No special story behind.

Isk8NYC
11-13-2007, 09:34 AM
In the 1970's and 1980's, New York State had a tourism campaign with the slogan "I LOVE NEW YORK." Catchy jingle - they still use the tune around this time of the year.

I sk8 NYC = "I SKATE NYC" (What a great adventure.)
I think that, with the exception of Chelsea Piers, I've skated in every rink in New York City. Then again, I skated at the "real" Sky Rink - when it was actually in the sky....

Our very-generous board owner had put up an announcement some time ago, saying that he couldn't do anymore name changes.

3skatekiddos
11-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Hmmm. I wonder if mine is self expainatory ????
On a few other forums I am 1mouse1muffin1monkey which are my kids nicknames. I am happy that I am not the only mom on here that has her kids as part of their user name !

TreSk8sAZ
11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Tre is one of my many nicknames, but one I prefer.

Sk8s, well, I'm a skater

AZ b/c that's where I'm living now, and I truly do skate just about everywhere there is a rink in AZ (I regularly skate at 3, test at a 4th, skate at a 5th when I'm visiting my parents, etc.)

airyfairy76
11-13-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm with doubletoe's thinking - I wanted to flow.

Airfairy - let's see the cross stich!

. . . and even now, it's still a work in progress :oops:

I have done a little more since this picture was taken, but this is the last one I took. Some of her wings have been done and a little more beading than is on the pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=406091229&size=l

flo
11-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Wow! That's beautiful. You must have such patience!

airyfairy76
11-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow! That's beautiful. You must have such patience!

Thank you. :)

Hasn't been so much patience that has been required, as a magnifying glass to do her arms and face, as the stitches are so tiny! Of course, the pattern has regular size stitches, but me being me, decided that I wanted to do the tiny stitches to get nice skintone . . . :D Still, the overall effect was worth it.

Rusty Blades
11-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I was away from figure skating for 36 years and started my "come-back" at the ripe old age of 56. The handle just seemed SO appropriate! :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm with doubletoe's thinking - I wanted to flow.I always thought it came from your surname!

Not creative at all I live in Colorado, CO--I am a skater, and I was born in 64. Currently it should be changed to CO, walker and XX since I am at the point in my life where I no longer like to reveal my age.

Leslie:DOh, Leslie, you're only a baby - you're only a year older than my baby sister! Well, I suppose you could be 18 months older if your birthday's in January, but that's the most it could be.

As for me, when I first started skating I bought a pair of red boot-covers, because I reckoned that it might take awhile before people knew my name, and I wanted them to think of me as "The woman with the red boot-covers", rather than "The fat woman who can't skate".

One of the coaches, who knew that story, started to call me "Mrs Boots", and one day, not sure where from, I said "That's Mrs Redboots to you, dear!" and liked it, and have used it as a screen name ever since. At first just for skating, and now everywhere.

Incidentally I no longer have that pair of boot covers, they having fallen out of my skate bag on a trip to the hair-dressers, but kind DBNY replaced them for me, and I value those ones even more!

vesperholly
11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I know this has been asked before, but it's been awhile, and "Vesperholly" just got me wondering, LOL!
Oh! :lol: "vesperholly" is for the Lloyd Alexander character, Vesper Holly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Alexander). I loved the books as a kid and still do, and especially I idolized her feisty, resourseful and beautiful character. Plus, it's not commonly used, so I can be "vesperholly" at almost any site.

sk8er1964
11-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Not creative at all I live in Colorado, CO--I am a skater, and I was born in 64.

Gee - can anyone figure out mine? :lol:

Actually, I was using my real first name on the first message board I ever posted on, which was US Figure Skating's. Someone else started posting some nasty things about a skater using the same name (this was before they had unique names), so I changed mine because I didn't want to be associated with that other person. Unfortunatly, I was not at all creative. :roll:

vesperholly
11-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Thank you. :)

Hasn't been so much patience that has been required, as a magnifying glass to do her arms and face, as the stitches are so tiny! Of course, the pattern has regular size stitches, but me being me, decided that I wanted to do the tiny stitches to get nice skintone . . . :D Still, the overall effect was worth it.
Wow, that's gorgeous! The tiny stitches were worth it. :bow:

blackmanskating
11-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I think my user name is pretty self explanatory. LOL 8-) I would like to see more of us out on the ice but I'm proud to be one of the few of us trying this skating thing out!!!

BlackManSkating

doubletoe
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the great stories, everybody!

Maybe we SHOULD all change our usernames at once and see who can guess the most new usernames correctly! :lol:

AiryFairy, your cross-stitching is beautiful!

And Jskater49, how conveeeeeenient that you decided not to update the number the following year, heh heh. ;)

R D Lite
11-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, I've been a lurker up 'til now, but this seems like a good thread on which to introduce myself. :)

R D Lite was the Jockey Club name of my wonderful horse, Reuben. I'm new to skating, but I have been riding dressage for about 12 years. Last Christmas, I made the difficult decision to put Reuben down at the age of 9, after a year-long battle with a rare autoimmune disease. I'm recently out of college and don't have the resources to get another horse yet, and I haven't been able to ride much since losing Reuben. I needed something else to keep busy, and on little more than a whim I decided to sign up for figure skating lessons. Lo and behold (and no surprise to anyone here, I bet), I was hooked. I've been surprised by how similar dressage and figure skating are, in some ways--though I'm much more graceful on a horse than on the ice, though hopefully that will change with time--and I have already met some wonderful people in my new sport.

Laura H
11-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Like Bill S, mine is pretty self-explanatory. Although, I was threatening to change it to "Iceless in SC" when our rink closed earlier this year . . fortunately it has since reopened under new management!

GordonSk8erBoi
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Mine started as kind of a joke, because I started skating and it started to take over my blog and I said "hope this doesn't turn into Gordon's Sk8er boi blog!" and then I decided that was slightly clever and went with it.

doubletoe
11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, I've been a lurker up 'til now, but this seems like a good thread on which to introduce myself. :)

R D Lite was the Jockey Club name of my wonderful horse, Reuben.

Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry about your horse. I can only imagine how difficult that must have been. Looking forward to a lot more posts from you!

Morgail
11-13-2007, 02:29 PM

Welcome:) I'm sorry about your horse. That couldn't have been an easy decision to make:(

My screen name is a combination of my first name and the name Morgan (I've always had an interest in Arthurian legend). I use it a lot on forums...it never seems to be taken by anyone else;)

montanarose
11-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Nothing terribly creative here: I grew up in Montana, and Montana Rose was a country rock band of more than a few (cough, cough) years back.

Ellen

Muskoka Skater
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
My name is Muskoka Skater because I live in Muskoka which is in Northern Ontario and I'm a Skater so put it together Muskoka + Skater = Muskoka Skater!!!!

kayskate
11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Kayskate

Nickname is Kay on my web site and I skate.

Kay

kateskate
11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Well my name is Katherine and Kate is from Katherine and Kate is in the word Skate - and of course I love to skate :D so we get kateskate (sometimes I have kateskate80 if kateskate is taken - 80 being year of birth)

People often therefore think my name is Kate when actually I am a Katherine or a Kath.

(My other username on other sites is KatieScarlett as my dad used to call me that when I was little and I love Scarlett O Hara.)

miraclegro
11-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Needed a name - saw the Miraclegro bag near my computer, thought it was a good fit; it is a MIRACLE when i grow in this sport! And it feels great when i actually have something miraculous happen!

jazzpants
11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, mine's pretty self-explanatory. I am a synchronized skater on my university's intercollegiate team (SynchroSk8r) and my birthday is November (11) 4th (4). So, SynchroSk8r114...;)SAME BIRTHDAY as ME!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Happy Belated b-day, BTW...) ;)

FallDownGoBoom
11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
FallDownGoBoom=Spaz monkey

altamaleskater
11-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Alta - abbreviation for Alberta (my home province);

male skater - self-explanatory.

Pretty unoriginal, I know....but as easy as I could make it.

samba
11-14-2007, 03:03 AM
One of my cats is called Samba, named before I got her, it is also my favourite dance to watch although mine is dreadful. Come to think of it, its a bit daft being as I am mainly a free-skater, ah well too late to change.

expo86
11-14-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm from Vancouver, home of Expo86, the World's Fair in 1986. I also chose it because it's gender-neutral. My username in some other places is YVR2010 and I think we all know where that comes from.;)

mintypoppet
11-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Poppets are a type of candy in the UK - the mint ones are small round fondants covered in dark chocolate, and I'm very fond of them.

I have a dreadfully sweet tooth, which is one of the many reasons I *need* to skate :D

herniated
11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm herniated because I 'used' to have a herniated disc. I just found out that the disc has reabsorbed! Now I have degenerating disc. Lovely.

SynchroSk8r114
11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
SAME BIRTHDAY as ME!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Happy Belated b-day, BTW...) ;)

Haha, why thank you! Hope you enjoyed your special day. I spent mine...what else...skating at a competition. :halo:

jazzpants
11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Haha, why thank you! Hope you enjoyed your special day. I spent mine...what else...skating at a competition. :halo:Well, I was at a competition... but I had already skated my last event at said competition a couple of days before. :halo: (And yes, I had a very nice quiet dinner!) :yum:

patatty
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
My screen name is taken from my job - patent attorney. My dad was a patent attorney too, and in the 70s he had a vanity license plate that said PATATTY, and the name kind of stuck with me.

doubletoe
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm from Vancouver, home of Expo86, the World's Fair in 1986. I also chose it because it's gender-neutral. My username in some other places is YVR2010 and I think we all know where that comes from.;)

Hey, I went to Expo 86!! It was awesome!! I had graduated from college in Seattle one day before and I was depressed about having to start life in the real world. Some friends of a friend were headed up to Vancouver for the Expo, so, on a whim, I decided to go up with them. I slept in the back of their pickup truck as they drove up during the night, then we spent all the next day at the expo! What a blast! See you in Vancouver in 2010! :D

Emberchyld
11-14-2007, 08:58 PM
My name all started with a parody I wrote (and shared with classmates) of an awful story running in our college paper. My "Mary Sue" character was named Ember, so when AIM hit our campus and replaced WinPopup(showing my age here), I thought it would be a cute username.

But since Ember was taken, I thought... well... just add something freakishly misspelled and noone will have it. So, Emberchyld was born.

Stormy
11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
I used to skate on a synchro team named The Storm.

lov2sk8
11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
lov2sk8, pretty obvious. It's what I love to do.

SilverSprings
11-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Silver Springs is one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs (especially The Dance version). I'm also SilverSprings90 if it's taken, 90 being my birth year.

dippytrout27
11-15-2007, 04:27 AM
There's quite a long story attached to my username. A few years back a friend and I were setting up email accounts and wanted to have original names. She thought of jam_sandwich@... which I really wished I had thought of myself! I then spent about 2 hours trying to come up with something good, suggesting some really odd names in the process. Eventually her boyfriend got fed up with my and said 'god you're a dippy trout you are' and there it was - a really original username, or so I thought. When I came to set up the email account someone else had dippytrout@...!!!!! So I added the 27 as that's the date of my birthday.

BlueIcePlaza
11-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I skate at "Solihull Ice Rink @ Blue Ice Plaza" , hence the name.

w.w.west
11-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Wicked Witch of the West!

jazzpants
11-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Wicked Witch of the West!Do I assume that you're going to AN this year? If so, you finally get to meet me, my pretty... and I'll bring my little dog too!!! :P (Well, okay! I don't have a dog to bring with me, but I'll bring my primary coach... :twisted: :P )

2loop2loop
11-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Mine is one of my trademark moves. On a good day I can do 4 2loops in combination, but two is enough to worry about in competition:P

w.w.west
11-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Do I assume that you're going to AN this year? If so, you finally get to meet me, my pretty... and I'll bring my little dog too!!! :P (Well, okay! I don't have a dog to bring with me, but I'll bring my primary coach... :twisted: :P )

Not 100% sure about AN yet. But if I do go, meeting you will be on the top of my list! :D

Tell your primary coach that the cookie dough fundraiser is going on now! How much does he want?? If I don't come to LP...I'll send a monkey with it. ;)

kander
11-17-2007, 12:31 AM
kander = Kevin + Anderson (the one in California, not Arizona)

abbi_1990
11-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi BlueIcePlaza, we skate at the same rink.

Whats your name?

Isk8NYC
11-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi BlueIcePlaza, we skate at the same rink.
Whats your name?
Take it to PM's please!

SJacklčne
11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Sara is my first name so that is where the S came from and Jacklčne is my middle name. :P :D

abbi_1990
11-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Sorry Ik8NYC

RareCareBear
11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Well, this is my username on another forum. And I like it a lot, so I used it here. :D

Imo
11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Back in the old ISU chatroom (in 1995-ish...?), I used the first half of my email address to log in. Since it was kinda long it quickly got shortened to just Imo. It stuck and I registered at FSW and, later, here with it... I don't really use it on non-skating sites though.