View Full Version : what are you getting your coach for xmas

littlekateskate
11-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Just thought it would be fun to list what you are getting your coaches for xmas and how much you are spending..

flo
11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Hmmm - Probably make him something in glass. Have to start thinking.

Skittl1321
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
My gift (chocolate) is more a small thank you, so it's not very expensive.

doubletoe
11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Now Flo has a great idea! I'll get mine some rose colored glasses! :lol:

jenlyon60
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM
A couple boxes of fancy teas plus a self-knitted headband/ear protector.

jazzpants
11-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Now Flo has a great idea! I'll get mine some rose colored glasses! :lol:ROFLMAO!!! :twisted:

Secondary coach: Gift Cert. for Starbucks! (She says she LUUURVES her Starbucks!!!) :P

Primary coach: Gift Cert for one of the local chain supermarkets, b/c he says he needs groceries more than he needs Starbucks!!! :roll: (Oh, and if I could find another much BIGGER tiara to replace the one I got him a couple of years ago as a gag gift for his b-day... :twisted: )

doubletoe
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
ROFLMAO!!! :twisted:

Secondary coach: Gift Cert. for Starbucks! (She says she LUUURVES her Starbucks!!!) :P

Primary coach: Gift Cert for one of the local chain supermarkets, b/c he says he needs groceries more than he needs Starbucks!!! :roll: (Oh, and if I could find another much BIGGER tiara to replace the one I got him a couple of years ago as a gag gift for his b-day... :twisted: )

Actually, for my main coach I'm thinking a gift certificate for his favorite local breakfast cafe, for my MIF coach a gift certificate to Target or some other practical store, and for my secondary coach a big stocking stuffed with doggie treats (she has 5 dogs!).

jskater49
11-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Now that I know both of them like Panera, I'm getting them a gift card for there.

j

Kim to the Max
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm probably going to knit a nice hat since our rink is kinda' cold!

Skate@Delaware
11-12-2007, 02:58 PM
I've been looking for some 100% real woolen mittens. I am too slow at knitting....yeah. She always wears mittens when she coaches.

Helen88
11-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Ahhh do I need to get her a present!? *Panics* I've only had two lessons!! :giveup:

hepcat
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Ahhh do I need to get her a present!? *Panics* I've only had two lessons!! :giveup:

Something small is nice even if you're new to that coach.

We sell Girl Scout nuts & candy at Christmas so she'll undoubtedly get some of those items, but I'll throw some gift cards or maybe some movie tickets. She's young and has a life, so a bottle of wine would probably be more appropriate.:P

pille
11-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Well, my presents are kind of predictable, but practical. :roll:
I have 3 coaches, and I went out and found some fabulous animal print fabrics (3 different patterns).

I made each coach blade covers and matching blade towels. I went the easy way and got some matching pre-made hand towels and then I sewed a strip of the animal print fabric on it. That kind of made a "set" with the blade covers.

I'm thinking of maybe including a Starbucks gift card for each of them as well.

SynchroSk8r114
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Haven't quite decided yet, but I'm thinking...
Freestyle coach: Something from Bath & Body Works, like a Christmas-scent gift set, and possibly a Starbucks gift card...
Dance coach: Cute mixed drink-themed pajamas (inside joke with her) and probably a Bath and Body Works gift set for the holiday season...

Last year was my first year with them following a switch from my old coach who I was with for eleven years. I got both my dance and freestyle coach a Lenox Christmas lamp from Macy's. I ended up spending close to $35.00/lamp, so that was sufficient enough, especially considering I'd only been with them about two months.

vesperholly
11-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I always get my freestyle coach gift certificates to Tim Hortons and a pretty Christmas tree ornament. I now have a dance coach, but she doesn't like coffee, so that present's out the window. Hmm.

Stormy
11-12-2007, 06:58 PM
This Coach keychain:

http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=10423&category_id=120

It's so adorable with the little skates and hats!

GordonSk8erBoi
11-12-2007, 07:08 PM
This Coach keychain:

Well, yes, but... $48!! sheesh!

Stormy
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
My coach is worth it, believe me!! :bow: She and are very close friends outside of the rink as well.

dbny
11-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I haven't even thought about it yet, and I have no time to think or shop 8O, but I must do something. I really don't know what my coach likes or doesn't like. Will ask a friend whose daughter is her student also.

:lol: That's what I should get too!

This Coach keychain:

Love it, but too pricey for me.

littlekateskate
11-12-2007, 09:21 PM
The keychain is fabulous but since i have a total of 4 coaches with my kids.. its a bit much.. So i guess my next question how much do you spend. Is there a price that is too little and an insult? Or is even a little something better than nothing? Or should you really spend the same amount as one lesson?

SynchroSk8r114
11-12-2007, 09:34 PM
This Coach keychain:

As a coach myself, I'd love this! But I agree, the price is a little steep for a keychain...

sk8tmum
11-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Booze (wine) and upmarket chocolate for the ladies; beer or wine, depending on the preference, for the gentlemen.

figure that they need it after yet another year of surviving my kids.

Budget? Bigger "basket" for the primary coaches, smaller for the secondary coaches.

(also do the Easter Bunny at Easter!)

PatSkates
11-13-2007, 07:38 AM
I always give chocolate (expensive kind). I found this really cute "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate there, too" T-shirt on www.adultpairskating.com
So, I'm going to give her the T-shirt and chocolates this year. Last year I gave money in a nice card, and she seemed to like that, too!

Skittl1321
11-13-2007, 07:49 AM
So i guess my next question how much do you spend. Is there a price that is too little and an insult? Or is even a little something better than nothing? Or should you really spend the same amount as one lesson?

I would say a well thought out little something is always better than nothing. If they are insulted you didn't spend enough, well than that person has never been taught manners and how to accept a gift!

jskater49
11-13-2007, 08:11 AM
The keychain is fabulous but since i have a total of 4 coaches with my kids.. its a bit much.. So i guess my next question how much do you spend. Is there a price that is too little and an insult? Or is even a little something better than nothing? Or should you really spend the same amount as one lesson?

I spend what I can afford and what it takes to get the gift I think the person will enjoy That's true for any gift giving - from the church secretary to my own kids. The price really doesn't matter. An expensive gift that does not reflect any thought about who the recepient is is worthless and a gift that shows you really thought about who the person is and what they would enjoy but cost you little or nothing is priceless.
j

flo
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
For the keychain, make it yourself. It would require a trip to Michaels and a basic jewlery skills. And you would have made it!!

WeirFan06
11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
I am getting my coach a PACK OF SOCKS!!! Because she always wears open-heeled shoes with no socks and sits there in the rink for hours! It bugs me! Plus she's always sick. Well duhhh! :roll:

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I think I'll tell mine that's what I'm giving him, 'specially after his comments today!

I wouldn't have thought so, not this year. A card would be nice, though.

Coach1 will get a bottle of red wine, not sure what we'll get coach2, probably hand-made soap. I usually buy some sweets for their children, although I know they get masses so don't always bother unless I see something really nice in France that you can't get here.

Sk8Dreamer
11-29-2007, 07:21 AM
I know a coach who said he got 60 bottles of wine last year--and he's not even much of a wine drinker. One of his adult skaters got him the kind of wine he does like, so that was apparently appreciated, but he feels gifts are overdone. My coach would probably appreciate money, but I feel that's so impersonal. So...it's back to the drawing board every year. I've heard that the rule of thumb for a gift is to spend the equivalent of one lesson, so that's pretty much the rule I've followed. No idea what I'll do this year. I feel like it'd be easier to get something for a woman coach. Oh well... I wish I could think of something that would show how much I appreciate his patience, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Isk8NYC
11-29-2007, 08:16 AM
I found this really cute "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate there, too" T-shirt on www.adultpairskating.com (http://www.adultpairskating.com) That's a lot of money for a t-shirt with a photo of someone's beanie babies.

The original SkateDevil shirts are reasonably priced and excellent quality. I wear my shirt regularly and it always gets compliments. www.skatedevil.com (http://www.skatedevil.com)
(Site is owned/operated by an adult skater whom I have no relationship with at all. I just liked the shirt.)

Virtualsk8r
11-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the link! Great idea -- but do you think the shirt would be okay to give skaters who will wear it on the ice for practice???

Do you ever get any comments about the 'hell' word (you never know when someone might get ticked off....hey, at our rink a new coach got upset with the music the senior skaters were using and said they should be listening to motivating classical stuff.....and then she criticized ther tights with holes, Se_ku type skating pants and tops, saying they should be in respectable dresses.....Let's just say she has been out of the loop and has no high-level skaters).

I love the sweatshirt - Do you know how it fits?

Virtualsk8r
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Good gift ideas I've found are:

1) Starbucks card - loaded with enough for a couple of cafe lattes!
(Buy your coach a coffee - great for one-lesson a week skaters)

2) Starbucks Christmas Coffee - you can get a gift pack with leaded and unleaded beans (reg and decaf)

3) Starbucks coffee mug - I know everyone has one, but usually leaves them somewhere...can never have too many and they are reasonable.

4) Warm fuzzy mittens - Walmart, Dollar store - or Saks -- always appreciated

5) Godiva - doesn't have to be a huge box of chocolates. Try their hot chocolate, individual coffee packs, small chocolate bars, etc.

Every coach seems to appreciate gift baskets you make yourself with inexpensive items like tea, a dollarstore mug, magic markers for the ice, colorful kleenex box, pair of dollarstore fuzzy socks, bath bombs, hand cream -- you get the picture. Stuff they can leave in the coaches room or in their skate bag. Oh - and those instant hand warmers!!!

Oh - and when all else fails for the older male coach ------seems that hard liquor never fails...(somehow they haven't heard that rum and coke, or rye and ginger is a thing of the 70's)

Since I have used all these ideas - I am now stuck and looking for new ones.

Isk8NYC
11-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Do you ever get any comments about the 'hell' word (you never know when someone might get ticked off....Only from my DH, who rolls his eyes every time because he thinks it's inappropriate. Someone said "H-E-double hockey sticks" would be appropriate and even funnier! Then again, the arenas I wore it in last year were in NYC and NJ, where people wear more risque sayings than that. (I don't wear it when I teach/coach - too many little kids.) Since the word 'hell' is on the back, you could just wear a jacket if you're worried about comments. The front saying of "Skating is heaven on earth..." is a nice sentiment by itself.

I love the sweatshirt - Do you know how it fits?I have the t-shirt and it runs true to size. It didn't shrink in the wash, which was nice. You could send them an email and ask about the sweatshirt.

Here are some threads from prior years about coaches' gifts:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22302&highlight=gift+coach
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18279&highlight=gift+coach

flo
11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Starbucks cards are always appreciated. I usually make my gifts, a painted silk scarf or one year I bought an old Christmas album at the good will. I stuck it in the oven over a bowl and shaped it slightly when it came out. I filled it with cookies, and there was a fun, unusual gift under $5. I've found other albums with music from our programs or shows.

One year I bought him a flask, and another year a great book on music as he was taking his master PSA tests.

Skittl1321
11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Oh - and when all else fails for the older male coach ------seems that hard liquor never fails...(somehow they haven't heard that rum and coke, or rye and ginger is a thing of the 70's)

Since I have used all these ideas - I am now stuck and looking for new ones.

Wait? What's wrong with rum and coke?

I thought about a bottle of wine, but living with a wine drinker I know it's so personal what they like. I know one of my coaches really likes Martini's- can I get him bottles of gin and vermouth? (Unless he drinks vodka martini's. You never know.) Actually the reason I nixed wine was we skate in a mall, and it seemed weird bringing alcohol there.

CanadianAdult
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
What are manners for accepting a gift? I really don't know. I'm very old school, I still write thank you notes if it's not opened in front of the person who is then thanked profusely for the most ugly gift I've ever received :mrgreen: And then I thank them again for being so thoughtful ;)

I'm liking that key chain, it would be appropriate for my new coach, but I'm going to take the suggestion of do it myself from Michaels.

Skittl1321
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
What are manners for accepting a gift? I really don't know. I'm very old school, I still write thank you notes if it's not opened in front of the person who is then thanked profusely for the most ugly gift I've ever received :mrgreen: And then I thank them again for being so thoughtful ;)

I think that's still what it is. But people who actually will send thank you notes are very few and far between.

I actually try to give my gifts at a time where they can't open it in front of me. I hate when I have to wonder if they are pretending to like it or not. And then, for an informal gift like this, as long as they say "thank you" when I give it to them or the next time they see me- I think that's good enough.

doubletoe
11-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Wait? What's wrong with rum and coke?

I thought about a bottle of wine, but living with a wine drinker I know it's so personal what they like. I know one of my coaches really likes Martini's- can I get him bottles of gin and vermouth? (Unless he drinks vodka martini's. You never know.) Actually the reason I nixed wine was we skate in a mall, and it seemed weird bringing alcohol there.

I sometimes give my coaches a bottle of champagne/sparkling wine because even if they don't drink it themselves, it comes in handy if they are going to a holiday party or new year's eve party and need something to bring. :)

jenlyon60
11-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm getting mine a selection of different fancy teas and knitting her a scarf.

lshattuck
11-29-2007, 02:11 PM
I always give chocolate (expensive kind). I found this really cute "When Hell Freezes Over, I'll Skate there, too" T-shirt on www.adultpairskating.com
So, I'm going to give her the T-shirt and chocolates this year. Last year I gave money in a nice card, and she seemed to like that, too!

I do hate to be a party-pooper, but the "When Hell Freezes Over..." t-shirt being sold on adultpairskating.com is illegally using a trademarked slogan. I'm sure that the person who made them did not know, but they have been asked to stop selling the merchandise immediately, under Federal trademark law. If you want a legal shirt, you can go to www.skatedevil.com (http://www.skatedevil.com).

Isk8NYC
11-29-2007, 02:47 PM
What are manners for accepting a gift?I try to open gifts right in front of the students if it's in a bag or I'm off the ice (hate picking up paper from the ice.) I won't hold up my next lesson to do that, though. I do thank the giver regardless.

I write thank you notes for every gift. I figure it sets a good example. Sometimes I give them to the student at the next lesson, but at the end of the season, I just get the address from the office and mail them since people sometimes stop coming after the Show.

Last year, one of my private students had a beautiful routine set to chinese music. We both worked hard to make a really strong program that received a very loud round of applause. The family gave me a beautiful porcelain doll dressed in a kimono as an end-of-the-year gift. It's really lovely and makes me think of the girl and her program when I look at it.

Take note of what kinds of coffee/tea your coach drinks. Some prefer Dunkin Donuts to Starbucks or Earl Grey tea to coffee. Better to give something that will be appreciated.

Muskoka Skater
11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm probably going to make my coach a necklace, bracelet, and earrings jewelry set.

GordonSk8erBoi
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Sonya, if you're reading this, shame on you!

My coach is an avid skier, so I'm getting her a gift cert for her fave place to ski.

miraclegro
11-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I know, as a part-time coach - just getting ANYTHING is a treat.

So, i just am getting a few little things and wrapping them up. I found some cute skate socks (believe it or not at the $1 store), and will probably get some jewelry or chocolate or gift card.

I don't spend a lot - i'm already broke with skating! But i am very creative and make things look very NICe when i give these gifts.

A little girl i know who is progressing VERY nicely (not a student of mine) i got her the CUTEST figure skate stocking from J.C. Penney's and am filling it up with lots of neat things for her.

I was hoping to have time to make blade guard covers and such, my my time is running out.....

teresa
11-29-2007, 10:14 PM
I made a nice surprise.

teresa

sk8_4fun
11-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I decided that I would try and stick to what I would spend on a weeks lessons as guide for my main coach. She loves anything sparkly so I had no trouble choosing, wont post it here though just in case ;)

Skittl1321
11-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, after careful consideration of a starbucks card, I decided to get a walmart card (we have a walmart with a grocery) because with the number of students my coaches have I figured they'd get more than enough coffee. Most people can find something to buy at walmart- though I hate giving walmart cards for some reason. (I find that I never get them either- though I'd really probably use it more than any other card. I always get Target- but I can't buy groceries there!)

So chocolate and gift card for my coaches

dbny
11-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Although I would never use a Starbucks card myself, I just ordered a customized card for my coach, who admitted she does really like Starbucks. Unfortunately, they don't offer a figure skate or any skating scenes, or allow one to upload an image. I picked a snowflake background with a hot to-go cup image. They also did not allow the amount I wanted to give, so I gave a smaller amount and will supplement with a Starbucks mug (thank you, Virtualsk8r) and some skating design socks in it. TJ Maxx has cute socks for $2.99. Maybe I should have looked harder at the dollar store!

babyrabbit
12-01-2007, 07:48 AM
I let my 4 year old pick out her own coaches gifts. AHH

But at least it is truly coming from her. She picked them out cute icepacks that are characters and have fuzzy covers. She got them each an ornament she thought reminded her of them. And then some carmex lol.

So i am sure all in all its not a complete wasted gift as they are both still active competitve skaters i am sure they will use the ice packs.

je
12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Not sure what I’ll do this year. In the past, I’ve given my longtime coach things like candied nuts (that I made) in a glass jar, a CD of the chorus I sing with, a shirt with an iron-on transfer that said [Coach’s name]’s Advice, and then a list of everything I tend to forget. Last year, I stole Mrs. Redboots’ idea and gave both coaches soap I’d made. I carved the soap into little skates.

Last year was the first year I gave my dance coach something, and I got the distinct feeling he would rather I didn’t. (During a lesson, after I did something well, he said something like, “That was the best present you could give me!” This was right at holiday time), so I may just give him a card this year. Or maybe bake something.

And a little story about a gift my longtime coach gave me: Last year, she told me that when she was learning to skate, one year, her coach gave her one of her own (the coach’s) skating pins. And that she had always treasured that pin. So my coach gave me one of her pins. I was really touched.

Johanna

jskater49
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
You might want to ask before assuming a starbucks would be appreciated. I'm a big coffee drinker, grind my own beans but I absolutely HATE the burned taste of starbucks beans. I prefer Gloria Jeans coffee ;-)

j

dbny
12-01-2007, 08:40 PM
You might want to ask before assuming a starbucks would be appreciated.

Not sure if that was for me, but if so, you missed an important part of my post:

... I just ordered a customized card for my coach, who admitted she does really like Starbucks. ..

jskater49
12-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Not sure if that was for me, but if so, you missed an important part of my post:

Actually there were a lot of posts talking about getting their coaches Starbucks so I just thought I'd point out that not all coffee drinkers worship at the altar of Starbucks.

j

SynchroSk8r114
12-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Actually there were a lot of posts talking about getting their coaches Starbucks so I just thought I'd point out that not all coffee drinkers worship at the altar of Starbucks.

j

I like Starbucks, but I love Caribou Coffee...and even the occassional McDonalds coffee at the one near my rink, LOL! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
12-02-2007, 10:04 AM
You might want to ask before assuming a starbucks would be appreciated. I'm a big coffee drinker, grind my own beans but I absolutely HATE the burned taste of starbucks beans. I prefer Gloria Jeans coffee ;-)

j
And, indeed, not all coaches even drink coffee - ours far prefer tea! And we don't have a Starbucks near the rink (thank goodness!); there is, however, a hole-in-the-wall shop by the station (2 minutes' walk away) that makes lovely coffee, much nicer than Starbucks. Don't think they do gift vouchers, though.....

Skittl1321
12-02-2007, 11:12 AM

j

The only reason I had thought starbucks is because there is one within site (and walking in skate guards) of our rink. Many coaches skate with a cup in hand. I don't drink coffee at all, but can find something to drink there if presented with free money :) We also have a panera but I haven't seen anyone with their coffee.

babyrabbit
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I agree. I grab milk or water at starbucks all the time even though i dont drink there coffee. So, I would be happy with starbucks even though i dont drink the coffee. I will take free bottles of water :) hehe

dbny
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Many coaches skate with a cup in hand.

This probably isn't really the right place for it, but I'm prompted to tell this story. Last Thursday, when I arrived to teach a 9 AM class, there was a huge coffee spill right at the entrance to the ice. No coach in sight, but an adult student on the ice told me right away "coach x" did it. Coach x returned soon thereafter, with a maintenance person in tow. Coach x, a two time Olympic competitor, had stepped on the ice with one guard on, which a lot of elite skaters do, and coffee in one hand - you can guess the rest :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Skittl1321
12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
This probably isn't really the right place for it, but I'm prompted to tell this story. Last Thursday, when I arrived to teach a 9 AM class, there was a huge coffee spill right at the entrance to the ice. No coach in sight, but an adult student on the ice told me right away "coach x" did it. Coach x returned soon thereafter, with a maintenance person in tow. Coach x, a two time Olympic competitor, had stepped on the ice with one guard on, which a lot of elite skaters do, and coffee in one hand - you can guess the rest :lol: :lol: :lol:.

oops...

I'm always amazed at the ones who demonstrate things like spirals while holding a cup of coffee.

jazzpants
12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
True. My primary coach once got a Starbucks card from me... then said something snippy like "I need groceries more than I need Starbucks..." to someone else regarding my gift. (I think it was WeirFan06 that he told, in fact!!! :twisted: )

The next year, I got him a gift card from Albertson's (now Lucky's again!!!) He was happy about that. This past May I wanted to get him the same thing, only to be told that Albertson's was changing over to Lucky's and they didn't have any more gift cards anymore b/c of the merger. So I got him a Gap card... which he did promptly use right away on a top.

He seemed happy with that one, so I'll keep that in mind the next time I get a gift b/c I have a Gap Card (not the gift card but the credit card. It's the one credit card I DO have since I shop at Old Navy and Gap a lot.) and I wouldn't mind acquiring more points on it. :)

Secondary coach exact words on Starbucks is... "I LUUUUURVE my Starbucks!!!" (Yes, she's often seen with a Venti cup from Starbucks in her hands. Someone from the rink always runs to get Starbucks for her and other coaches.)

Helen88
12-04-2007, 01:13 PM
oops...

I'm always amazed at the ones who demonstrate things like spirals while holding a cup of coffee.

That made me laugh REALLY loudly :halo:. I had to explain to my parents I hadn't totally lost it LOL.

vesperholly
12-04-2007, 04:31 PM
My coach was doing choreography for another student with coffee in hand. She gestured up and promptly dumped it all over her jacket. :lol: Good thing it was iced coffee!!

doubletoe
12-04-2007, 05:01 PM

j

Same here, but I worship at the altar of Peets. In fact, a search for the closest Peets was something I had to do today before booking my hotel in Oregon for Pacific Coast Sectionals, LOL! Hopefully, they will expand more beyond the west coast so I don't have to suffer at AN anymore. . . I just get my coach a gift certificate to the cafe near the rink where he always has breakfast between classes. I'm thinking I'll get my secondary coach some nice mineral bath salts. Heck, if I'm on the ice 6 hours a week and need it, I can only imagine how much I'd need it being on the ice coaching 7 days a week!

Luckster013
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Is it okay get your coach something bigger than they get you? My coach always gives each of her students a small present and I would like to get her something a little bigger,like a giftcard, but I don't want it to be akward if my gift is much bigger than hers.
Does that sound Stupid? Anyway, is it ok to get her something a bigger than she gets me? After all, she has a bunch of students and I only have one coach.

doubletoe
12-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Is it okay get your coach something bigger than they get you? My coach always gives each of her students a small present and I would like to get her something a little bigger,like a giftcard, but I don't want it to be akward if my gift is much bigger than hers.
Does that sound Stupid? Anyway, is it ok to get her something a bigger than she gets me? After all, she has a bunch of students and I only have one coach.

I personally think the gift to the coach should be bigger, since the coach has SO many students to buy for, but each student only has one or two (okay, in my case three) coaches to buy for. I spend about $25 on each of my coaches and I can't imagine they could afford to spend $25 each on 30 students!

babyrabbit
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
i agree the gift for the coach should be more indeed.. i would expect a student to buy a coach a gift. But never would i expect hte coach to get students a gift they have wayy toooo many

Skittl1321
12-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Gave my coaches their gifts today. I got them a box of hershey nuggets that I decorated using stamps and an address label and a $20 walmart gift card. Primary coach didn't open it. LTS instructor coach did open it and thanked me like 5 times during the night. I think he was suprised to get something, as most LTS students don't give their instructors presents- but I decided to since a) I've improved vastly and b) I don't pay for my lessons since I barter teaching for them, so it seemed like I should give him something.

All the other LTS instructors got chocolates, which everyone was appreciative of. I've co-taught with all of them but one, so I thought I should do something to say thanks, since they helped teach me how to teach!

jskater49
12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
i agree the gift for the coach should be more indeed.. i would expect a student to buy a coach a gift. But never would i expect hte coach to get students a gift they have wayy toooo many

I never expect it but many of my daughter's coaches have gotten their students gifts. It's usually something small, but personal, like a CD case (once her coach recorded their programs twice so they could all do back to back run throughs!) or hand made luggage tags. Certainly not to be expected but very nice.

j

FiguresForever
12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, if any of my students are reading this....I love Dunkin Donuts coffee! :lol:

Isk8NYC
12-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Well, if any of my students are reading this....I love Dunkin Donuts coffee! :lol:
Me, too! lol Welcome to the Board!

phoenix
12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
This year I have zero money, so not sure what I'll do. In the past I've designed/printed business cards for my coach, given guitar accessories (his hobby), tickets to a local renaissance fair for him & his son.

He's Russian & I always write out a card in Russian for him for both Christmas & birthdays (which takes me hours!), which he seems to like. So he'll certainly get that, & maybe just a gift card for Starbucks, though not for a whole lot.....:(

Rusty Blades
12-09-2007, 04:03 PM
My coach got married yesterday, her birthday is on Friday, and Christmas is just around the corner. I haven't got a clue what to get her but feel it's time for something special!

flo
12-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Phoenix - Your gifts are very thoughtful - and therefore priceless. Don't worry about the money.

mikawendy
12-11-2007, 07:37 PM
A pair tix to see this dance company (http://www.linesballet.org/) when they come to Baltimore in March.

sk8rxforxlife
12-15-2007, 08:05 PM
i got mine hot chocolate and the case can turn into an ornament and then new guards. i get her guards a lot.

jskater49
12-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I made a collage on photoshop of photos of my daughter and her coach, plus both of us skating programs she choregraphed - uploaded it to Target and picked it up the same day for a couple of bucks. Much better quality than my printer and probably even cheaper than the cost of my ink. She really liked it.

Did the same thing for dance coach that's leaving but we did it together with photos of her with all her students. Made her cry.

My secretary who came with me on a youth mission trip to Louisiana this summer is getting the same thing with photos from our trip.

j

coskater64
12-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I feel very bad for my new coach, when I finally became her pupil I was injured and then reinjured so...I got her a really nice gift because I felt so bad that she worked so hard to help me recover, she was so positive and then I had to have the second surgery. She puts up with a lot, and she taught me figures and will do it again, this year. I just hope sooner or later she can finally have a student who can actually try to do things without pain and issues that don't requires crutches, stitches or a general anesthetic.

I feel very lucky to have my coach, she puts up with a lot.:lol: :halo: :lol: