View Full Version : New to Ice-skating

Bianca
11-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Hey everyone!

Well I've been travelling and moving around alot over the past nine months. I'm now in France and have just recently (This Saturday) found an ice-rink close by. I haven't been ice-skating in eight months but was great to just get on the ice and go. I can only do the basics... skating foward and doing simple turns.

I went for 4 hours and have decided that I'm going to go every Saturday possible. I'm 13 and 8 months and don't want to do figure skating more just tricks and skids on the ice. What shoes are best? Most of the girls there wore the white leather figure skates and I didn't see any in the hockey skates that the guys were wearing, but they look so much more comfortable. Can girls wear hockey skates just to skate on, is it better than figure skates?

I went onto a few websites and one says "It can take 15 minutes or several hours to properly fit a skate, so don't go to the Hockey Shop to buy skates unless you have some time to do it right. Skates also don't come sharpened so don't expect to walk out of the store with a properly fit and sharpened pair of skates without spending some time."

How do you sharpen a skate and how do you do it correctly. I'm size 39 (French size sorry not sure on European or American)... I think it could be size 5 or 6... if it helps I am 5 ft 2.

When I go this Saturday I want to get on the ice, which hardly had any people on it last time, and learn some stops... since I only ever slow down or ultimately whack into the barrier. If it's possible could someone also please describe how to do cross overs and how to skate backward.

Wow, I'm really sorry that this is so long!
All help appreciated! And if anyone knows of any good shops in SOuth-West France (Castres) to buy skates from I'd be really pleased :).

Thanks again!

- Bianca

EDIT: How is a skating blade sharpened?

The skate is sharpened with a rotating grinding wheel. Prior to sharpening, the wheel is "dressed" (using a special diamond-tipped tool) in such a way that it has a circular cross-section (whose radius is the Radius of Hollow). The skate blade is clamped into a holder, which holds its bottom surface perpendicular to the grinding wheel. Your friendly skate sharpener moves the clamped blade along the rotating grinding wheel to refresh the hollow in the bottom of the skate. The sharpening machine has a special guide to keep the blade perfectly aligned with the grinding wheel.

The goal of the sharpening is to remove just enough metal from the bottom of the blade to renew the edges. A steady hand is required, so that no part of the blade is ground more than another.

Following a link from "Flo" on this site, I found this but who does this? Sorry to be such a noob >.<

EDIT 2: Okay sorry again, I just thought of another question. On Saturday when I went ice-skating I noticed that my feet turn inward was it because of the shoes or does everyone do this? Sorry again >.<

Mrs Redboots
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
The only silly question is the one you don't ask! You ask at the shop where to get your skates sharpened - they may well do it in-house. If and when you start taking lessons (and do, even if it's only group learn-to-skate classes), your teacher will know a good place to get them done.

Bianca
11-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Well then thank you. Any tips on where to put the pressure when stopping or turning?

Thanks

- Bianca

Sessy
11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Good figure skating shoes for a beginner are Davos, Libra, ProStar (I started on these myself) - or, if you want a notch higher up - Risport Etoile.
There's also good models by Jackson, Edea, Harlicks, SP Teri and other brands, I'm just not sure which of those models will suit you best. I believe we have recently had a topic on good skating shoes for a beginner with some excellent advises given!

If you wish to do figure skating, you need blades with toepicks and a small curve in it, you also need leather boots. If you wish to do hockey, you need blades with no toepicks and a hockey shoe.

For a backwards stop on your toepicks, you just get up on the toepicks as you slide backward (that's the easiest, although it's not an official stop I think). For a forwards stop, put some pressure on your middle foot part and heels and point your toes inward as you try to push your heels apart - much like in mountain skiing! Make sure to bend your knees.
A little more advanced but it'll work if you're good at mountain skiing or if your blades are very dull, you could try a 90 degree turn with a skid down the ice, a stop much like the one hockey players make lots of "snow" with, it feels much like turning a curve while mountain skiing. :)

Your feet turning inward: you mean your ankles sagging through? That means your shoes don't fit or the leather of the shoes doesn't offer enough support, or the blades are mounted too far outside for you. It's got to do with technique as well, but good skates will go a long way in fixing it.

Bianca
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you very much Sessy! This has really helped me out alot :). I will definitely try it out on Saturday... before anyone gets to the ice rink so they don't see me falling :P.

Will tell you how it goes :D

Thanks again.

- Bianca :D

Sessy
11-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Oh I remembered another that I used to do when I just started skating, it's technically incorrect but it'll get you to stop: just glide forwards on your left leg, keep your right foot behind your left foot so your feet form an upside-down T shape, your right toe turned out to the right, and then gently put your right foot down and drag it behind you. It's not a powerful stop but I remember I used to think it was easier than the V-shaped stop. You could also glide on the right and drag left foot behind you, turning your left toe out to the left.

If you can get classes I'd greatly recommend it by the way :) Even if it's just once a week. You'll quickly discover it's mostly the best figure skaters in a club who fall the most (and have padding for this reason), falling usually happens when you learn something new :)

sk8tegirl06
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
What Sessy is describing is technically correct (at least in the US). That is called a T stop in the USFSA Learn to Skate levels. It isn't very powerful or in my opinion secure, but it does the job. My other advice would be to learn to fall and get up properly. At a public session yesterday, I had to teach this big hockey guy how to get up properly. His friends were trying to pull him up which wasn't working because his feet would never stay under him long enough for him to get his footing. Happy Skating!

flippet
11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
What Sessy is describing is technically correct (at least in the US).

No, it isn't. A T-stop is NOT done by "dragging the foot behind you".

As Sessy said, it's not correct, but it will stop you...sort of. If you get the pressure wrong, though, you can open yourself up to injury. I've seen people swung around by doing that, and straining a knee. (And I've done it myself.)

To do a T-stop, you need to deliberately push the free foot down, and use the OUTSIDE edge to dig into the ice. If you're just dragging that foot, you're using the inside edge.

dbny
11-12-2007, 08:11 PM
For a forwards stop, put some pressure on your middle foot part and heels and point your toes inward as you try to push your heels apart - much like in mountain skiing! Make sure to bend your knees.

This is called a snowplow stop. Before you try it, stand with your feet shoulder width apart, bend your knees, and stretch your arms in front of you, over your knees, but about waist height. In this position, scrape the ice with one foot, away from you to the side, applying pressure as Sessy described. If you can scrape, making snow with your scraping, then do the same with the other foot. After you have got them both one at a time, try both at once. This is a snowplow stop while standing still. If that works OK, then take a few steps and try it moving slowly. If you bend forward at the waist, you will fall forwards, so just keep those knees down.

What Sessy is describing is technically correct (at least in the US). That is called a T stop in the USFSA Learn to Skate levels. It isn't very powerful or in my opinion secure, but it does the job.

It's not really a T stop. It's an incorrect imitation of a T stop, which is done by applying pressure to the outside edge of the trailing skate, not by dragging the blade on the ice. The T stop is not easy, but I think it's even harder to learn if you've been doing it wrong.

Bianca
11-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks so much all of you. I was supposed to go ice-skating today but it was closed >.<

Only open on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. So going tomorrow :giveup:

:P Can't wait. Will definately try all of the tips that you've all sent me :). So thanks a million.

Today I also went to a few sports stores and looked at hockey skates but you have to get the shop to order them in >.<

Anyway thanks again.

Sessy
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah I know I'm just like... Not clear on how well Bianca skates, or doesn't. What I see around here a lot are people who have NO idea how to stop because they never had lessons, and crash into boardings or simply grab on to people to stop.
So I was trying to offer some easy alternatives to the boarding-method of stopping which I see used *a lot*. I'd still prefer if she learned the V-shaped stop if she can because it's way more effective, I thought I mentioned it, didn't I mention it?

Skittl1321
11-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah I know I'm just like... Not clear on how well Bianca skates, or doesn't. What I see around here a lot are people who have NO idea how to stop because they never had lessons, and crash into boardings or simply grab on to people to stop.
So I was trying to offer some easy alternatives to the boarding-method of stopping which I see used *a lot*. I'd still prefer if she learned the V-shaped stop if she can because it's way more effective, I thought I mentioned it, didn't I mention it?

Sessy- I don't think anyone was refuting that the method you provided would get a recreational skater to stop. I think it was merely a discussion based on a later comment that it is a "T-stop"- which it isn't, as well as a warning that dragging your inside edge might cause knee troubles.

But you are right. If you are a "go round the rink" recreational skater, the method you provided will cause you to stop and it probably better than running into the wall (though I still use that method as it's sometimes easier than a t-stop or snowplow... but I also don't skate out of control) and MUCH better than running into someone else!

Bianca
11-13-2007, 02:25 PM

I think this is helpful! :D I'm going to try memorise everything that you've all said and give them a go tomorrow. My friend was saying that this is an easy stop to do but not really right as well :P.

I can skate well but do no tricks or stops. If I'm coming up to a barrier and have no other way of stopping then yes I generally will whack into it :P. But if I'm in the middle of the ice I won't grab someone, I'll just stop moving my legs and start turning to slow down... if this makes any sense at all :S.

Thanks again everyone!

sk8tegirl06
11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Maybe that is why I never liked doing what I thought was a T stop...:giveup: I always thought it was a glide on the left foot with the right foot "dragging" perpendicularly behind it. In all honesty, I can't visualize how it is anything but a right inside edge that does the stopping.

Sessy
11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Uhmmm yeah I kinda had that problem, till I learned to stop like hockeyers.
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1229205/2/istockphoto_1229205_hockey_stop.jpg

Now, that T-shaped stop, the way we were allowed to do them for testing at our club and the way I learned one (I'm not sure if it is really the T-stop the Americans mean!), is if the leg on the right (the guy's left leg actually) would turn out 90 degrees to point forward, with the toe towards the puck in the photo. A stop like that does not have the weight on the gliding leg, it has the weight on the leg in the back, the one that does all the snowscraping, the one on the outside edge, I even learned to lift the front gliding leg after a while (though I haven't done that in a while because I'm not sure what it will do to the weak ankle). Again, I'm saying, that's the way I was allowed to do one. I'm not sure if it's the official T-stop or what it is.

If you've been on ski's, I think it feels very similar when you brake in a curve (as opposed to like, if you get off that edge, you'll start slowly sliding down the mountain sideways).

Skittl1321
11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Uhmmm yeah I kinda had that problem, till I learned to stop like hockeyers.
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1229205/2/istockphoto_1229205_hockey_stop.jpg

Now, that T-shaped stop, the way we were allowed to do them for testing at our club and the way I learned one (I'm not sure if it is really the T-stop the Americans mean!), is if the leg on the right (the guy's left leg actually) would turn out 90 degrees to point forward, with the toe towards the puck in the photo. A stop like that does not have the weight on the gliding leg, it has the weight on the leg in the back, the one that does all the snowscraping, the one on the outside edge, I even learned to lift the front gliding leg after a while (though I haven't done that in a while because I'm not sure what it will do to the weak ankle). Again, I'm saying, that's the way I was allowed to do one. I'm not sure if it's the official T-stop or what it is.

If you've been on ski's, I think it feels very similar when you brake in a curve (as opposed to like, if you get off that edge, you'll start slowly sliding down the mountain sideways).

Sessy, it sounds to me what you are describing is a T-stop. Gliding on your left foot you would put the right foot down very close to the blade, perpendicular to the left, on the outside edge, and scrape to a stop.

I think the confusion was "drag your leg behind you" in which many people will put inside edge down, maybe a foot away from the blade and drag, which causes you to stop from the pressure, but puts a lot of pressure on your knee. (Think a really bad lunge- no bend in the forward knee, but the inside edge of the back leg scrapping)

Sessy
11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
No actually I meant it like inside-edge in the first post, that's why it'd technically be incorrect what I discribed, and why it's not the effective way (and apparently dangerous too as somebody mentioned above so just stick with the V thing)

With the photo I was just replying to the poster above me who had trouble learning it, suggesting a different way of thinking about it that clicked it for me, hoping it'd click for her too.

Bianca
11-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey all!

I'm back from ice-skating. Muscels very painful. I fell 3 times, hurt my knee, my elbow and my side :oops: But they should be okay to get back on the ice on Saturday :mrgreen:

I tried different leg movements and even tried out wearing hockey shoes! Very comfortable, a little slippery for the first 10 minutes or so though. I can do the stop now using the heel of my right foot and gliding with my left. Can also make one footed turns as well :D

Didn't quite get the courage to try take on the T stop, more people there on a Wednesday than I thought there would be... I guess it is France :P.

Going for a good 4 hours on Saturday (only stayed 3 today) so will try the T stop (or whatever that side stop is that there's been some confusion about) then :)

Talk soon!

- Bianca

Skittl1321
11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Glad you had fun!

Is there any chance you could take a couple lessons? You'd probably really enjoy them.

Bianca
11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Glad you had fun!

Is there any chance you could take a couple lessons? You'd probably really enjoy them.

Yes but they started in September and end in May. The problem is that the teacher (and sudents) would speak French! Don't know if I'm ready for that yet! And/Or if I can start now that the lessons have already began >.<.

I will try find out on Saturday though :) or persude one of the pros that skate there often to show me a few tricks :P

- Bianca

Skittl1321
11-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Yes but they started in September and end in May. The problem is that the teacher (and sudents) would speak French! Don't know if I'm ready for that yet! And/Or if I can start now that the lessons have already began >.<.

I will try find out on Saturday though :) or persude one of the pros that skate there often to show me a few tricks :P

- Bianca

Well, if it's any consolation, I don't think most of my students listen to me anyway :) If you're a visual learner, I bet you could do it- plus it might a be fun immersion language learning exercise.

I'd ask if you can start midway. I don't know their system, but we have new students joining every 8 weeks. (And in general are very willing to start people in the middle of those weeks as well!)

Good luck!

Sessy
11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
If you continue falling and hurting the same places you should consider protection gear.

BTW I got into the group classes in mid october last year when they had started in late august too, so... You could do it I guess.

Bianca
11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, if it's any consolation, I don't think most of my students listen to me anyway :) If you're a visual learner, I bet you could do it- plus it might a be fun immersion language learning exercise.

I'd ask if you can start midway. I don't know their system, but we have new students joining every 8 weeks. (And in general are very willing to start people in the middle of those weeks as well!)

Good luck!

Teehee! Thanks :D

Will keep this in mind if I get the opportunity! Need to do it this year though bcause they don't give lessons to 14+. Don't ask me why :-S

Here's the patinoire (Ice-rink) website http://www.larchipel.fr/html/archipel_pat.htm

It's in French though... :P

- Bianca

Sessy
11-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Also keep in mind Bianca, staying longer increases your chances for injuries dramatically because muscle tone and coordination diminish when you're tired.
At least take a break inbetween, take your skates off and relax for a quarter hour or so.

Bianca
11-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Also keep in mind Bianca, staying longer increases your chances for injuries dramatically because muscle tone and coordination diminish when you're tired.
At least take a break inbetween, take your skates off and relax for a quarter hour or so.

Thanks very much! :D

A lot of people do this but it's just so difficult to persuade myself to get off the ice! :roll:

I will definately do it on Saturday because you're right I fell most of the time to the end and only once during the beginning when I was trying new things out.

Thanks again! :)

- Bianca