View Full Version : Want to remember/Hope to forget: 11-17 November 2007

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Today is Remembrance Day, so....

Want to Remember: Might have a new lift although we haven't tried it on ice yet. Really should have worn a skirt & tights, not trackie bums, if we were going to work on our lift. Husband's programme is going well.

Hope to forget: Husband had a nasty fall on a loop jump and winded himself. Neither of us was skating really well, as we both have colds. I do not like the coach's new exercise designed to stop me pushing him away!!!

Sessy
11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Wait... do you have two remembrance days in a year? Is there somewhere a list of holidays in the USA available? I thought you had thanksgiving somewhere right about now? *confused*

Wanting to remember:
- The coach who kept telling me my spins were bad because they were slow, said my 1-foot looked good! (I pulled in as hard as I could, started spinning so fast it scared me and I stiffened up - this only helped to speed up and center the spin, it was *perfectly* centered, wow!!! Usually when I have to show a spin it goes worse than average.)
- I did some bunny hops and some *tiny* waltz-jumps landing on RIGHT! That's my injured ankle. And I think it's holding up!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
- I figured out why my back inside edges were falling apart as soon as I was trying to point the toes. FINALLY, it only took oh a half a year or so. :roll: The 'funny' thing is, I was told about that error when I just started learning them already, except then I didn't understand what the coach meant.

Wanting to forget:
- Focussing on pulling in I started looking down again on the spin. Nasty habit, must quit!
- Backspin was totally gone
- Fell on every sit spin I tried

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Wait... do you have two remembrance days in a year? Is there somewhere a list of holidays in the USA available? I thought you had thanksgiving somewhere right about now? *confused*Well, they do in the USA, but I'm English! And even in the USA they celebrate Remembrance Day, which I believe they call Veterans' Day. In France, 11 November is a public holiday, or used to be.

jskater49
11-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Remembrance Day or Armistice Day commemorates the ending of World War I on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 and is observed by many nations involved in that war (Not sure if the losing side ever observed it however). A few years later, it was expanded to honor all veterans in the US so here it is Veterans Day.

j

Sessy
11-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh, okay. 8-)

Skate@Delaware
11-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Want to remember...what's it is like to skate without pain! I'm slowly getting there but I know it will take time! I did manage to skate in short bits today, 15 minutes then sit for 5-10 until the pain subsided. Did 3-turns, edges, and worked on that darn backspin! Managed to barely get one from a pivot. Not progress compared to where I was before, but, hey, I'm skating!!!

I had a therapeutic massage a few days ago and it was awesome! She hit so many areas that are bound in cramps/spasms....I can't wait to hear what the physical therapist says tomorrow when I go for my evaluation.

Hope to forget...jumps so shaky! I only kept to the waltz and toeloop and they were really bad! In show rehearsal those are the ones I do and I even managed a one-foot spin and it was ok. But not 3-turns on my left leg.

I weighed myself this morning and have gained 5 pounds. While that might not seem like much to most people...it's a lot for me. I've tried hard to maintain where I am and not being able to hit the gym like I want to is really killing me! I'm starting to lose muscle tone...

But I CAN FEEL MY TOES!!!! YAY!!!

double3s
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Want to remember: Passing Bronze Moves, Rhythm Blues, and ChaCha in one day.

Want to forget: How poorly I skated Bronze Moves, especially Power 3s!!!

sk8pics
11-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Congrats double3's!

As for me: Want to Remember: I skated today for about 30 minutes and felt pretty great. I hadn't skated in a couple of weeks, but my ankle feels the best it's felt since before I broke it, and finally I feel like I have just about all my strength back. Each time I skate, I try to add one thing and today I was able to do my normal jump entry (without the jumps, of course!). So, I skated forward then stepped on my right foot, extended the left, then pushed into the turn on my right foot and did the FO3. It felt totally normal, which really amazed me. I even checked properly. Hooray!

FO3's on my left foot are still weak, but coming along. Backward one foot glides are solid. So, I'm ready for another lesson and my coach and I actually talked today and I have a lesson scheduled for the week after Thanksgiving. In fact, he said I could have that slot weekly if I want. We'll see. I don't know if I need or am up to a weekly lesson yet, but we'll see!

So, a good day!

Happy skating everyone!

jskater49
11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Congratulations Double3s -couldn't have been that bad if they passed you!

Want to remember - This just makes me think that I have to remember to keep my head over my skating foot and lean outside the circle for both crossovers and 3 turns

Tried to forget but we had to do them in our adult class today -- Alternating 3s. Ugh. They are the reason I took my pre-bronze FS way back so I could get myself grandfathered in back when these were in pre-bronze moves. If I hadn't done that and they hadn't taken them out of that test I might very well have quit skating, that's how discouraged I was.

Funny thing, I was just thinking about them the other day, along the lines of "I'm so much better at 3 turns now I bet I could do those now" And then today we work on them. Guess what? I can't do them.:( Guess I'm not that good at 3 turns. I just don't have enough control of the exit edge to position myself to step on the next outside edge. oh well.

More want to forget --tried to do cross strokes correctly - I can sort of slide my foot over but I totally loose any speed. Frustrating frustrating frustrating.

But I will remember --on to mohawks and my goodness I have so improved on those. and in practice, I did them in the Swing dance - no music and I have slow down way too much to keep in time, but I did them! Progress!

j

Skittl1321
11-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Wait... do you have two remembrance days in a year? Is there somewhere a list of holidays in the USA available? I thought you had thanksgiving somewhere right about now? *confused*

Veterans Day is November 11th in the United States, as jskater posted it used to be called Armistice Day, and in the UK is called Remembrance Day. Veterans Day commemorates all veterans here. The other day you might be thinking of is Memorial Day, which is the last Monday in May. It commemorates all those who have died in military service, and used to be called Decoration Day.

Other holidays:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holidays_of_the_United_States
(Many of the Federal holidays are not "days off" though. If today were a work day, I wouldn't get the day off for Veterans Day, though Federal employees do)

Skating-wise
Hope to Forget I have a horrible pain running down the side of my left leg. Like shinsplints, but on the side. Not happy.

Need to get my blades sharpened.

Want to remember I think the power class is helping. I'm definetly not the slowest anymore, and spend a lot of our christmas show number at half speed, as I'm "last in line". We were originally fastest to slowest, but I should be in the middle of the line. However since I have to remember to start a few things, the instructor asked me to stay there (he is the front of the line. Not sure if he will perform?) The routine is mostly follow the leader.

Kim to the Max
11-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Want to Remember: Brackets...went well tonight...actually, overall my moves were quite nice tonight. I wish I would have skated this way on Friday!!

Hope to Forget: Ugh...I need to work on my endurance...even just running through my program without music and no jumps/full spins, is getting me winded. :( I need to add some cross training somehow...maybe some running or something in the mornings before work, although, I do hate the treadmill/elliptical machine with a passion, and living in an area where it gets cold and it snows doesn't really allow me to run outside until, if I'm lucky, May...hmmm...maybe it's back to my old standby of climbing the stairs in the 20 story building I live in...

*JennaD*
11-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Want to remember:

MY DOUBLE SAL IS BACK :D:D:D
I had lost it for a while but I was able to land a bunch on saturday and they were really high!! I'm not sure if they were clean, but if they weren't, they were close enough for me :) lol

Hope to forget:

I...hate...brackets...

quarkiki2
11-12-2007, 08:40 AM
hehe, Jessi, he WILL perform. Always does with that group because he generally doesn't get to do a number of his own as he's not a club member.

Me? I'm happy to perform with our team and that's about all I need. I wouldn't mind helping the tots, but the extra rehearsal time is not good for me right now -- next year when Violet isn't nursing is a better option.

Bill_S
11-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Congratulations double3s! That's a lot of testing for one day. Must feel good to be done with it all!

Hope to forget: Practically all of this morning needs to be wiped from memory. It was a disaster, and it started with my ongoing issue with my right boot. Because it's slightly too large (left boot is fine), a coach recommended putting a heel wedge in the boot to take up space.

I bought these:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/images/heel_wedge.jpg

I bought a woman's size because skating boots are fairly narrow. It fit inside nicely. but today I REALLY splatted doing things I normally take for granted.

Coming to the boards, I attempted an easy hockey stop. The right blade rolled under, and BAM!... into the boards.

Then I was attempting a deep CW turn, and somehow the right edge wouldn't hold. I slid out on the low side. I got up and tried it again. Slid out again. I don't understand the mechanism at work where a wedge in the heel would cause a deep right edge to slip where I've always had confidence.

OK, enough!!

Out comes the wedge. At least I didn't fall any more after that. But OW!.. I've got lots of sore spots now.

Caris
11-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Want to remember I passed my gold passport today :D

Hope to forget Will the shop ever be open so I can get my skates sharpened, they started sliding out a little today so the NEED doing!

jskater49
11-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Congratulations Caris

Want to forget - power class at 6 am. We have a new coach--same one who teaches my adult group class and so we did some of the same things. So in my adult class, I am so much faster, everyone else is eating my dust. In the power class with my daughter and another girl, I am definately eating their dust. It's good to be in different groups so you don't get a warped view of yourself compared to others. It's all relative.

Want to remember - I did the Swing to music. I was quite off in the time BUT I was able to do the mohawk in the dance, and keep going. This is major progress - a few months ago I would come to a complete standstill when faced with the prospect of doing a mohawk while moving.

j

Sessy
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Congratulations everybody :)

Todays' public ice was very empty, so I got to practice my camel spin a lot and the elements to the MIF I wanna take.

I also discovered I can do a... What's it called? Right forward inside edge with the left arm front, then sort of a 3-turn like thing except not to the outside edge but to the right back inside edge, stepping out onto the left back outside edge after a moment? I can't do it in the CW direction though. And for the first time in my life I WASN'T looking down while trying something new! :mrgreen:
I also discovered I can do all mohawks and 3-turns without looking down. I don't know where that all came from and when.

I did *one* good sit spin today (good as in, not raising the right hip and keeping square) and it went deeper and faster right away. It's just those two mistakes that make me fall out of my sit spin before I even do one basically, but they're SO hard to fix! *sigh* (well and then there's a million small mistakes)

My backspin is still meh.

Kim to the Max
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh! I forgot to add to last night's post...

I was able to do a scratch/back scratch combo!! I was soooo excited!! Especially after them not being very pretty on Friday...

doubletoe
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Want to remember:

MY DOUBLE SAL IS BACK :D:D:D
I had lost it for a while but I was able to land a bunch on saturday and they were really high!! I'm not sure if they were clean, but if they weren't, they were close enough for me :) lol

Hope to forget:

I...hate...brackets...

Congratulations!! What did you do differently on Saturday that made you start landing them?
Trade you my brackets for your double sal, LOL! (Disclaimer: brackets should not be mixed with nerves)

Hope to Forget:
- How many aborted and/or failed attempts it took just to land 2 axels yesterday. How embarrassing.:roll:

- " " " " just to do two decent back sitspins " " . I don't know why I have so much difficulty with that RFI edge entrance. On the rare occasion when I get the entrance right, the spin itself doesn't seem to be a problem. Aargh.

- The way I can consistently do everything perfectly on my double sal except land without pitching forward and putting my hands down on the ice. I'm suspecting the problem is that my landing leg isn't straight in the air, but when I try to think about straightening it, it makes my brain go haywire and I spazz out in the air. It seems that I can't think once I've left the ice; my brain just goes blank.

Want to Remember:
- My spirals are still there after 2 weeks of not doing them.
- " pancake spin " " " "
- When coordination fails, there's always flexibility. . . In hopes of achieving something that would allow me to leave the rink with a sense of accomplishment, I decided to finally try doing the splits on the floor (I have only been doing them on the ballet barre, since I pulled a hamstring last time I tried it on the floor, about a year ago). I went into it very slowly and methodically, making sure to keep my hips squared this time, and I ended up actually doing the splits on the floor in both directions for the first time in my life. Yay! I feel like I can finally try out for the cheer leading squad now, LOL!

liz_on_ice
11-12-2007, 02:13 PM
want to remember - my program, as in what goes where, after we made changes. Couple of public skate practices this week. I haven't been to a freestyle in weeks, my cold has me sleeping in. Actually remembered things coach told me to do and landed a couple of nice sals today.

Hope to forget - this blasted cold. I'm tired of it, tired of coughing myself awake, feeling blah, spinning like crap.

Sessy
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Congrats on the full splits, doubletoe! When you gonna try a charlotte spiral? :bow:

doubletoe
11-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Congrats on the full splits, doubletoe! When you gonna try a charlotte spiral? :bow:

Next lifetime, I think! I understand now that there's a very big difference between doing a split very gradually with gravity helping you and just pulling your leg all the way up by yourself. I'm not even anywhere close to doing an upright split using my arm to pull my free leg up in front of me. Noooowhere close, LOL!

Still, I think if we had your back and my hamstrings, we'd have a serious Biellmann, LOL!

vesperholly
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
doubletoe, your double sal might be off from dropping your shoulders forward. I know my legs are slightly bent in the air on the axel, which while not technically the best, doesn't seem to pitch me forward on the landings at all. Usually when I have one of those, I call them illusion-style landings :lol: , it's because I did something wrong with my shoulders on the takeoff, like yanking the left shoulder back too early.

Hope to forget:
Landed the first axel I tried very nicely, then biffed the next four or five before I got another one off. Gar. Couldn't manage the last camel spin in my program.

Want to remember:
When done in sections, program is pretty strong. American Waltz also felt better today.

doubletoe
11-12-2007, 07:24 PM
doubletoe, your double sal might be off from dropping your shoulders forward. I know my legs are slightly bent in the air on the axel, which while not technically the best, doesn't seem to pitch me forward on the landings at all. Usually when I have one of those, I call them illusion-style landings :lol: , it's because I did something wrong with my shoulders on the takeoff, like yanking the left shoulder back too early.

Hope to forget:
Landed the first axel I tried very nicely, then biffed the next four or five before I got another one off. Gar. Couldn't manage the last camel spin in my program.

Want to remember:
When done in sections, program is pretty strong. American Waltz also felt better today.

Thank you! I felt like I was keeping my left arm/shoulder checked forward on takeoff, but we all know how wrong those feelings can be, LOL! I"ll have my coach look at it carefully in my next lesson.
Hey, your axel sounds like mine! I landed the first one I went for, but then took forever to land another one. :roll:

Skate@Delaware
11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Hope to forget...getting clipped today while teaching! I was teaching a raw beginner and was taken out by a kid in a neighboring class! I went down on my lower back and it knocked my breath out-I could not breathe and it was scary as I started graying out.

This happened on the same day I started PT for my previous back injury, have shoulder/neck spasms, AND having a migraine. Well, grandma always did say things come in threes. Now I have to ice my butt crack....luckily I don't think it's broken!

It must have looked spectacular because EVERYONE was looking and asking if I was ok.

want to remember...off ice class was jumping-leaping and stag jumps (simulated mohawk entry). It was nice and I'm feeling the "right" position more. We also did some rotations into landing positions and altho I took my migraine meds and was somewhat off-balance, it wasn't that bad!

chowskates
11-12-2007, 11:57 PM
My backspin is still meh.

Pardon my ignorance, but... what does "meh" mean?

ibreakhearts66
11-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but... what does "meh" mean?

meh basically means not so hot, OK, whatever, etc.

want to remember
jumps were nice today:)
landed a beautiful double toe. the flow felt great. i really WANTED to put a hand down, but i didn't :P

getting closer to hitting the outside edge on the camel spin. its so hard! i'll hit it for like one rotation, but then its gone.

had a really good lesson today. worked reeeaaally hard. it took a lot out of me, but we got a lot done. worked on some new spins, one is especially crazy. my coach wants me to take a corkscrew and lower it into a sit-spin type move but with the free leg behind me so its like a hydroblade.:!: :!: :!: she showed me what she wanted to do an i just laughed. i'm workin on it, but maaaaan its hard

after the lesson me and some of the other skaters just had fun. it was really crowed and the ice was terrible, so we just messed around.

hope to forget
ahh my coach was like "how about some camel jump camels? do you know how to do those" i was like "uhhh i think i learned like five years ago?" yeah soo not pretty. but i'll work on it.

Sessy
11-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Next lifetime, I think! I understand now that there's a very big difference between doing a split very gradually with gravity helping you and just pulling your leg all the way up by yourself. I'm not even anywhere close to doing an upright split using my arm to pull my free leg up in front of me. Noooowhere close, LOL!

Still, I think if we had your back and my hamstrings, we'd have a serious Biellmann, LOL!

LOL the worst part is, I know a Korean girl about my age who has both and she's not even stretching to be that flexible. She's the new favourite toy of our ballet teacher, I think one of these days he'll put her in a double knot.
She'd never seen the "Kayla Catch" spin position, but when I explained it, she went and folded herself that way, though right now she doesn't have the balance to try it even as a bielman yet.

BTW something that maybe might help, our ballet teacher puts us against a wall (with the bum) standing upright, then take a step forward and put your hands on the ground in front of you, your nose kinda pointing to your knee, and the free leg stretched all the way up against the wall. Stretch both knees through, obviously, your leg will get pushed up along the wall stretching closer to a full split. The closer to a full split you get the closer you get to the wall. And here's the last trick, straighten your back and arms up to spiral position, then put your hands back on the floor, straighten again, and repeat a dozen times or so. SO heavy!!!

But okay then, when are you gonna be doing those fancy splits where people put one foot on one chair, the other on another, and then just hang their crotch inbetween those chairs, almost at floor level? LOL :mrgreen:

BatikatII
11-13-2007, 07:48 AM
hope to forget nearly taken out by a teenager whizzing round the rink wituout looking while I was in lesson with my coach:(

want to remember
survived the above close encounter and most of today's lesson was good.

Jumps not so good in practice but on second run through of my programme landed both the loop-loop and the flip well, which was nice especially as same teen happened to be watching at the time. It's nice to show the kids we 'oldies' can do some good stuff. When they work, both these jumps feel so easy but I still dont' seem to be able to get that consistently.

Also did one pretty good backspin at end of lesson. Might just get to put in for level 2 elements pretty soon. Would put in for level 2 free but havent' chosen any music for it yet and coach wants to make a seperate 'test' programme.

First rehearsal for our christmas panto on ice number tonight. I hope it will be fun - we get lovely costumes for a change - but the music is 'meh' as daughter would say (i.e not great)

Laura H
11-13-2007, 08:38 AM
From my group lesson yesterday evening! Heavy focus on crossovers, forward and backwards (every now & then coach likes to go "back to the basics!!) and then on to jumps - waltz, salchow and toe loop.

Want to Remember: Crossovers merited a "good!" comment from coach after some minor corrections. My weakest (front crossovers - left over right) were actually not too bad at all, amazingly. Finally muscled out a non-wimpy waltz jump after many attempts which fell under "hope to forget." Got some good salchows too, which were actually witnessed by the coach, which is a miracle in and of itself . . . ;) and some NON toe-waltzy toe loops . . yay!

Hope to Forget: We didn't bother setting out cones to separate our class off from the public session, which led to quite a few "abort abort!!" moments for me on jumps.

Stupid free leg - still not coming through on waltz jump . . .grrrrr!! (I told the coach . . I KNOW what I'm supposed to do - my body's just not cooperating!!).

And why is it that I have to fight not to SPIN on Salchows, and then have problems with my spin entrance not spinning? Maybe if I just tell myself I'm doing a salchow and slack off, then I will have a good forward spin?? :giveup: Is it too late to trade my body in for a more coordinated one?? LOL!!!

Laura H
11-13-2007, 08:50 AM
(hey, already forgot about it!) One more for "hope to forget" . . . managed to get a particularly spectacular bruise on the middle joint of left hand middle finger . . . not sure when it happened though! I guess it must have been on one of my falls (sat down on a sal and also on a toeloop). Neither was particularly bad and I just hopped up and tried again . . . I didn't even know I'd hurt myself until driving home and my finger kept hurting when I bumped it!

oh yeah, and one more that is totally "want to remember" . . . part time employee at work who comes in from time to time when we need her to work on special projects - was in yesterday and asked if I had lost weight . . . says I just look skinnier every time she sees me . . . hee hee . . . what can I say . . . "skating has been very very good to me!!"

momsk8er
11-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Want to remember - I've been pretty pleased with my skating recently, everything has improved so much. I am getting ready to test pre-bronze moves, and everything except the inside 3 turn move feels fine, coach says the inside 3's are fine, but I don't feel fine with them. Jumps gaining altitude. Camel has a couple of revolutions, maybe 3. Sit spin getting lower.

Hope to forget - but everytime I try to do my freestyle stuff for my coach, it stinks. I think I try to show off for him, and then I rush - not keeping leg back in spin entrances and rushing the takeoffs on jumps. I don't do that during practice. Very frustrating.

Really hope to forget my backspin still. I keep asking coach to work on it with me, but he never does. I hope he doesn't think I'm hopeless.

Really really hope to forget test anxiety. I know if I freeze up for that right inside 3, it is not going to work. Have to relax.

peanutskates
11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
wanting to remember
great-feeling loops, at really fast speed! also did some from back takeoff.
one sitspin which rotated (wow!) for about 2 or 3 revs, then I fell... mehhhh
program! it is soo pretty.

coach's comment... (after he changed the intro for my program completely!) "i'm changing it because I know you can do a better and harder one..." :) (and also, we wouldn't want you to got to competition like someone from a village.. (it sounds better in russian, sorry))

hoping to forget
LOADS of sitspins on which I fell...and totally beat off my fingers with them...
scratch spins. dull blades. I got ONE good tracing in a session that lasted 3 hours. otherwise, it's drawing clouds for me... BUT,

wanting to remember
even though they travel, my scratch spins are soo fast now! all I see is a big blurrr of the rink.

also, catchfoot spirals. they feel so pretty and confident. thank you sessy, now I think of keeping my weight back on the blade every time I do these, and they are balanced perfectly, to the point of me being able to stretch them almost as far as when I have a barre.

waltz-loop combos from a standstill are working! in fact, my loops feel better in this combo than they do on their own?? sometimes, anyway.

and wednesday should be a great session, on newly sharpened blades!!

Rusty Blades
11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
To Remember: Had a good workout on the ice this morning, pushed FXO's to the limit, backwards, spins, and even Waltz jump and Toe Loop - actually landed a couple of almost full blown toe loops in front of my coach :mrgreen:

Had a short lesson and worked on footwork and a couple of program run-throughs.

Better Forgotten: With only 3 skater and 2 coaches on the ice, how come everybody congregates in the one corner where my program takes me right to the boards? :roll:

Two more practices/lessons before competition. 8O

To Remember: At the end of the session, as she was leaving, my coach turned and said "Good job!" Sure it was, I know it! :halo: (And I am modest to!)

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Want to Remember: Not a lot. We ran through the Willow Waltz, the first one of which was poor as Husband flattened off his Mohawk too much and was in the right place which I didn't actually expect, so that threw me! Then we did the Fiesta, and the first one was dire as I two-footed our start pattern to avoid a passing 7-year-old. It got better after that, and we worked on placing the pattern slightly better on the ice, but I don't have the power to get those back edges more than between the red hockey dots. Husband can, but not when he's dragging me along behind him (or, more properly, pushing me ahead!).

Hope to forget: Dreary exercises to finish with, but we did them okay in the end. But I do not like plain vanilla stroking in Reverse Kilian very much, especially when I'm supposed to be on an edge.

Sessy
11-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Great to hear about your spirals Peanuts! You'll be making video's wont ya? :)

So the coach switch was successful huh? :twisted:
You're right, it sounds best in Russian - crawling out from under a rock is the closest English synonym I can think of, "looking like a village idiot" the only approximation involving a village...
Although I could totally see where some Russian expressions might be funny for figure skaters... "Tebe pamiat' otshiblo?", "Nu ti zhe ne s luni upala!", or, "Koniok-gorbunok!" if someone's not keeping their back straight...

(Note to self: Sessy, stop hanging out at forums, you have work to do...)

Isk8NYC
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Want to Remember:
Jumps were good, even the wandering salchow. lol
MITF patterns were better, but my FO threes are klutzy.
Forward and backward power pulls are much stronger and even.
Crossovers are so much stronger now that I'm not falling to the inside.

Hope to Forget:
Can't get used to spinning on these revamped blades-and-boots. I keep rocking onto the toepick and double-tracking all my spins.

Right ankle is kind of stiff during crossovers and three turns .
All my stops, except for the t-stop, are awful now that my blades are level.

Isk8NYC
11-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Yay! I feel like I can finally try out for the cheer leading squad now, LOL!http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif

doubletoe
11-13-2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/perky1.gif

ROFL!!

Tuesday - Want to Remember
Umm. . . Nothing? Can I just go back to bed and start over? Where's the Haitian to wipe my memory clean for my own good? (apologies to those of you who don't watch "Heroes" and are going "huh?").

Hope to Forget
I hope to forget what sheer mental and emotional torture it was stepping back onto the same ice I tested on last week and actually having to have my weekly MIF lesson this morning! My confidence was shot, I was haunted by the failure and these moves were the last thing in the world I wanted to do today. I was a mess, and it showed. :cry:

Muskoka Skater
11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Monday Night

Want to Remember:

-My double loops are finally back
-My death drops were super high and beautiful
-My artistic is outragisly funny with my expresiens and funny yet creative moves (wish everybody could see it)
-My Paso it awesome but I'm not testing it next month
-My solo is finally back after my skates getting sharpened

Hope to Forget

-Had a bruise on my right leg and did a double flip and fell on it and it hurt so much
-I did something to my finger that made numb for the last 15mins of skating

vesperholly
11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Want to remember: OMG, the American Waltz is a zillion times easier with a partner! I fairly floated around the rink for two patterns. Solos make me want to die by the time I reach the restart. My coach has been all over me to present the dance and smile, so I started grinning and saying, "Shut up!" and "Go to hell!" from behind the grin. :P She approved. :lol:

Hope to forget: I'm having trouble controlling some of the choreography in my program - rush rush rush. I like going fast, what can I say? :oops: Plus, with two dance lessons today, I didn't have time to run through my program with the music, so I just did it in sections, which is no good for practicing stamina. Tango was a bloody mess, too.

Terri C
11-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Want to Remember:

All my freestyle elements, especially when done in my freestyle program.
Coach says now I need to "present" the program and not look scared shi#$less when I do my elements.

Hope to Forget:

Last week, we received word that one of the judges for our test session next month had to cancel, as they are having cataract surgery at that time. While there is about one month to go, our test chair is struggling to secure a replacement judge with no luck so far. I want my Bronze free damnit!! :evil: :(

Skittl1321
11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Want to remember During group class today we did moves. I got complimented on my back crossovers to back outside edges (but need to work on my posture). I think that might have just been in comparision to the class, rather than as a master of the move, but I'll still take it. I also got complimented on my forward outside spiral pattern. They are really improving. But I always feel like my leg is so much higher than when I see it in the glass :( I love doing moves. It was a really nice change.

Hope to forget But it was difficult to do in this class. The other kids didn't have a good understanding, so we spent a lot of time waiting for our turn while listening to "no your outside. That's your inside. You should know the difference by now. NO, your outside" And it was more like "dodge in the field", still it was nice to have the moves be seen by a different coach.

The last 5 minutes of class we did scratch spins. All the progress I had made is completely gone. I'm traveling like crazy. Makes it easier to count the 10 rotations I'm now able to get I guess. The worst part- for the first time ever, I'm getting dizzy. It's been 45 minutes and my head is still spinning and I am so naseauted. I think I might have an ear infection, because this vertigo is excessive.

Fits neither category So our instructor introduced change edge spirals, which was a bit suprising seeing how bad the spiral pattern went for the class. With my leg in more of an "ugly airplane" position than a spiral, I'm sort of able to do inside to outside, but I can't do outside to inside at all. Still, these are pretty neat and I hope to add them to my skill list soon. We started at the wall where he told us about how to swing our leg behind or open to control the edge, then to demo the instructor built up speed starting all the way across the rink, came on an outside edge, switched to an inside edge and then while going VERY fast almost rammed into the wall. At which point he swung his leg quickly to deepen the edge to not hit the wall. After he stopped and we started on it, he gave me a look and said "wow that was close", I nearly went down on that one. It was an EXCELLENT demonstration on how to use your leg to control the exercise, but I think repeating it might be too sink or swim for me :) (Okay students, head straight for the wall. If you are able to do it, you won't end up in the hospital)

Teaching went really well today too. We sang lots of new songs, and the kids had fun. I had my SS1 kids doing one foot glides, which was fantastic!

jazzpants
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Sunday:

Want to Remember:

Trying out secondary coach's flip drills. I had an added incentive to learning this. When I brought up the subject of "Hmmm? Any chance I migh actually land a LUTZ by the end of the year?" to both my coaches (via email), secondary coach's response was "That's one of the reasons I've been working you on the flip this week..." ;) (No response from primary coach...)

Hope to forget:

After one loop, the rest of then went bad!!! My lower back and hip on my landing side started hurting again and I ended up doing anything BUT jumps afterwards! :cry:

Monday:

Hope to forget:

Lower back STILL hurts! MUST...GO...TO...CHIRO.... NOW!!! :evil: (Even the flip jump sucked now!!!) :giveup:

Want to remember:

My camel spins!!! They were pretty good "for me" anyway!!! I got up to 3 rev. and I did try for a camel-sit and ended up with a decent 3 camel-2 squat combo. :P :twisted:

I've sent my team over to cheer doubletoe up to keep at those Intermediate Moves... ready???

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c020.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/sportlich/c025.gif

(And when you feel better, you can show my team your new splits too! LOL!!! :P )

doubletoe
11-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Want to remember:

My camel spins!!! They were pretty good "for me" anyway!!! I got up to 3 rev. and I did try for a camel-sit and ended up with a decent 3 camel-2 squat combo. :P :twisted:

I've sent my team over to cheer doubletoe up to keep at those Intermediate Moves... ready???

(And when you feel better, you can show my team your new splits too! LOL!!! :P )

Awwww, SWEETIE!! :D Thank you, I'm all better now! And I'm doing a cheer here for your camel combo! Don't forget, even a camel for 2 revs into an upright spin for 3 revs counts as a combination spin! Woo hoo! :bow:

My coach has been all over me to present the dance and smile, so I started grinning and saying, "Shut up!" and "Go to hell!" from behind the grin. :P She approved. :lol:

ROFLMAO! :lol: I should try that when I re-test my MIF next month. . .

BTW something that maybe might help, our ballet teacher puts us against a wall (with the bum) standing upright, then take a step forward and put your hands on the ground in front of you, your nose kinda pointing to your knee, and the free leg stretched all the way up against the wall. Stretch both knees through, obviously, your leg will get pushed up along the wall stretching closer to a full split. The closer to a full split you get the closer you get to the wall. And here's the last trick, straighten your back and arms up to spiral position, then put your hands back on the floor, straighten again, and repeat a dozen times or so. SO heavy!!!

But okay then, when are you gonna be doing those fancy splits where people put one foot on one chair, the other on another, and then just hang their crotch inbetween those chairs, almost at floor level? LOL :mrgreen:

Thanks for the details on that wall split. I've seen girls doing it but wasn't sure the exact process. It sounds like the same general process I use when doing the split on the ballet barre, i.e., chest down to thigh of standing leg, push back, then bring torso up and push pelvis down/back. I think that will be the next thing I try, but not until I'm more confident that I won't land on my head, LOL! And curse that girl who's flexible without even trying. I secretly take comfort in my physical therapist's claim that people who are overly flexible are more prone to spinal injuries. . .:twisted:

SK8RX
11-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Want to Remember: I passed my Gold Moves and Free tonite. It was a long day, but it ended on a perfect note! 8-)

ibreakhearts66
11-14-2007, 12:42 AM
want to remember
double toes were nice today. haha they must be so funny to watch tho. i am still so surprised when i land a jump that i kinda look around and i'm like "wait, am i standing? really?" and want SO badly to put a hand down

axels were pretty nice today too. i think i may finally be getting over that mental hump

me and two other skaters were playing the "add-a-spin" game (one person does a spin, next person adds a spin, next person adds another, first to fall loses). first was camel, second was sit, and i added a broken leg. i didn't expect it to be very nice, but all of a sudden two of the moms were calling me over and telling me how nice the combo was! they even asked me to do it again :D

ah and i got the ultimate compliment from one of my friends. she said my camel spin looked like our coach's :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

oh and i'm getting better at the crazy hydroblade-corkscrew-like spin my coach wants me to do

want to forget
more pathetic attempts at hitting the outside edge on a forward camel. its so hard! took a really nasty fall out of one of those, reeeally good thing i was wearing my diaper. i mean, butt pads.

oh the drama! one of the coaches has been saying not-so-nice things about my coach's skaters (team tard, don't ask lol). so apparently before southwest, she asked one of the skaters if she was competing, then told her not to expect to place much better than last in her group. well, she came in fifth and almost made final round...but then, yesterday i guess, she told one of her students how stupid our (team tard's) group number was and yada yada yada. she was also talking sh** about that same south west girl. understandably, her mom, and all of us really, is pissed! so yeah, that was the drama for the day

ibreakhearts66
11-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Want to Remember: I passed my Gold Moves and Free tonite. It was a long day, but it ended on a perfect note! 8-)

ahh congrats!!!! that's amazing!!!!!

jazzpants
11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Congrats to you, SK8RX!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: TWO GOLD PINS for 'ya!!! :mrgreen: (So do I assume that you'll be making your first Championship Adult Gold debut this year at Lake Plastic? If so, I will watch for 'ya live... cuz I'll be there this year too making my Bronze debut!!! We'll be Rock Stars in our own rights!!! 8-) )

singerskates
11-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Tuesday: went to the public adult ice session.

Want to remember:

Most of the ice was not chewed up except for the edge where the edger was run sometime before the session.

The ice was pretty much empty. Only two other skaters were on the ice.

Warmed up my spins that I have in my program and they were for the most part what I call centered (circles ontop of each other).

Warmed up only the waltz, toe and salchow before going into my program.

Was able to skate my program 80% of the way even though I didn't take my inhaler without stopping. Last Saturday, I could only make it just past the half way mark. My stamina is improving even when I don't take my inhaler.

I had the last half of the session to myself.

After fixing the inside of both of my skates, I'm now able to get better outside edges, I can do my forward 3 turns on all edges even in footwork. I can even do double threes inside and out on right or left. My landing edges are much much better.

I actually got a forward scratch with 16 revolutions and it only felt like 8. I counted the markings on the ice afterwards.

Hope To Forget:

I had no energy to get the flip or lutz up into the air today never mind fully around.

Wonder?: Why is it that after landing a jump correctly I do a RBO3? I just don't understand why my body does this? It doesn't matter how long I hold the landing edge, at the very edge of the landing I do a RBO3.

singerskates

Skittl1321
11-14-2007, 06:12 AM

Congratulations!

SynchroSk8r114
11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Want to remember: I landed three clean double loops today for the first time ever and fell on some that were all the way around during my lesson with an 1980s Olympic gold pairs medalist. I could not believe it! :mrgreen: I've never landed a double loop before - I usually just end up tie-toeing the landing - but this coach forced me to stay in position longer and somehow it just happened. She was really nice...kept saying, "Jessica...you are not trying to land this jump." Haha, so then I did committ to trying to land and I did it!

She also worked my double sals and axels, which she said she was surprised at how quickly I fixed them. With my double sals, the problem came because I was trying to jump/rotate to soon and I was ending up dropping my right shoulder on the take-off. I fixed the timing and really pushed through off of my left toe and it magically worked. Yay! :D

My axels, the skid...well, this coach managed to get rid of that too. Problem was, as she explained, that I was flying into the jump at top speed and then scaring myself, so I had no choice but to skid. She wanted me to try to get rid of that because it doesn't go with the flow of the program - like, I'm moving and flying down the ice and then I suddenly come to a dead halt and jump. And, I agree: it does look awful. I saw another girl at one of the intercollegiate competitions I was at doing the same thing for a double axel, and it looked so weird. So, yes...no more of that skidding! ;)

Finally, this coach managed to fix my flying camel, which mainly was difficult because I wasn't turing my free foot's toe out and that was causing my free hip to drop resulting in my having to struggle to hold the spin. We did maybe five or so of the flying camels, one of which was nearly 8-10 revolutions! I've never held one that long...I'm lucky if I get the required five, haha! ;)

Today was such an amazing lesson...too bad my regular freestyle coach wasn't there to see it all. Then again, if she was, I wouldn't have been able to work with this other coach, so I guess it all works out.

Hope to forget: Well, I actually wish I remembered my Bunga pads because I skated from 6:00-8:30 this morning without them and nwo I'm suffering horrible lacebite. It's so bad in fact that I all the dead skin around the front of my ankle somehow blistered and peeled away leaving me with this awful fresh red skin that hurts when anything touches it. Sucks for me because my synchro team's skating an exhibition tonight at the outdoor rink downtown and I'll be in my skates for at least another two hours. :( Oh well...I guess that's what band-aids are for right? :roll:

** I've got a really busy evening with the exhibition tonight and all, but I'll try to write more about my absolutely amazing day in my blog later on... **

jskater49
11-14-2007, 09:03 AM
I did forget and was reminded - How many pushes in the power 3s? My old coach from several years ago covered this, but not my most recent one...first question from my freestle coach who is now also workng with me on my moves. Answer 4 - 1 on the 3 turn, 1 on the rollover, 2 on the crossover. I left out the last push. Between that and making sure I was looking the right way to make sure I was staying on my axis, I made a LOT of improvement in both my power and my pattern on these.

Also had to fix the pattern on back crossovers, back edge moves too. Because as my coach said "If you don't get these on pattern, you are gonna be screwed"

j

Isk8NYC
11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!

doubletoe
11-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Want to remember: I landed three clean double loops today for the first time ever and fell on some that were all the way around during my lesson

WOW!! Congratulations!!!! And congratulations on fixing your double sal, axel and flying camel! Amazing!!

YAY!! Don't think you'll get away with withholding all the juicy details, though! :mrgreen:

liz_on_ice
11-14-2007, 01:12 PM
want to remember - Everything coach told me in lesson today. It was an hour long, because she had a cancellation in the slot after mine, so I took it. Wow am I tired now. I wrote down notes as soon as I could but I'm sure I've missed a few things. Coach thinks I can be ready to test FS3 sometime in January, but I'm skeptical with the holidays coming

hope to forget I'm blaming my sucky spins on the remnants of my 2 week cold. Was also pretty weak on jumps, although a couple of salchows at least came off nicely after we worked on them. I had my program memorized until we made more changes :roll:

Morgail
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Want to Remember:

(Not exactly skating yet, but preparation to start skating again.)

I can do half-rotation jumps (on two feet) on the floor!! And it doesn't hurt my ankle at all. Although my right knee is crackling and popping and just making awful sounds. My PT called it crepitation which just makes me think of "decrepit" and makes me feel about 90! When I go up the stairs, all I hear is CRACK POP CRACK CRUNCH. Ugh - it gives me the creeps!

Anyway, I don't have all the strength back in the ankle yet, but it's getting there:) The half jumps are tiny compared to what they used to be, but I'm making progress.

liz_on_ice
11-14-2007, 02:04 PM
So the coach switch was successful huh? :twisted:
You're right, it sounds best in Russian - crawling out from under a rock is the closest English synonym I can think of, "looking like a village idiot" the only approximation involving a village...

I think "just off the bus from X" (where X is someplace really rural but I won't risk naming an actual place ;) ) is closer in spirit.

sk8pics
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Want to Remember:
I can do half-rotation jumps (on two feet) on the floor!! And it doesn't hurt my ankle at all.

:D :D :bow: :bow: Keep it up!

jazzpants
11-14-2007, 06:31 PM
It's probably a "Want to Remember" but it sure feels like a "Hope to Forget":

I'm reworking my flip entry still. We are now working on straighting my 3turn entry so that my shoulders are squared and that my free leg is straight all the way thru 'til I pick.

The only weird part (but thinking about it, it's not so weird...) is that when I approach the flip entry as if I'm approaching it with the salchow, secondary coach is much happier with the flip entry. Go figure!!! :P (But now I have to figure out how to pick w/o slipping off the toe pick. :frus:

Why is it a "Want to Remember?" Because I think fixing this will make my learning a lutz a LOT easier!!! :D

Terri C
11-14-2007, 06:57 PM

Yay!!! Way to go SK8RX!!!

Today for me was a day I really, really want to forget.
I left my skate bag at home, but Dad was gracious enough to bring it to work for me.
Got to the rink and the session was crowded and the ice crappy!
I'm off work tomorrow, and will be getting a maintenance check and state inspection for my car and hopefully get my nails done before a afternoon lesson. Tomorrow should be better.

miraclegro
11-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Want to remember: I WANT to remember my footwork, but when the music plays, it helps me spazz so then i FORGET parts of it.

Hope to forget: How badly my rink is run; however, i was so mad on Tuesday about it, i did some amazing camel spins.

Mrs Redboots
11-15-2007, 05:17 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!

Sessy
11-15-2007, 08:02 AM
I think "just off the bus from X" (where X is someplace really rural but I won't risk naming an actual place ;) ) is closer in spirit.

LOL I hadn't heard that one yet. :) :) :)
(why not horsewagon?)

no training today, I was gonna go but my non-broken ankle decided to hurt today.
I'll have an extra long stretching session and hit the gym.

Rusty Blades
11-15-2007, 09:10 AM
We did the "simulated competition" today - 6 minute warm-up, first skater up.

It's DEAD - bury it and pave over the grave!: What a LOUSY @$#%$^ SKATE! 8O I found more ways to screw up my choreography than you can imagine! (And that was after running through it off-ice about six times!) Tried it again - another brain-dead skate! 8O Got half way through and had no @$#% idea where I was or what I was supposed to do next! Improvised to try to salvage something...... :roll: ***Stomp the ice, kick the boards! ***

Instead of taking a week's rest before the competition, coach is now talking about "Next week we will ...." I guess I have to stay after school to improve my poor grades :evil:

***SIGH***

CanadianAdult
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Don't worry! this is a good thing. It only counts in competition so, you've done a crappy skate and it can only get better. It can't get any worse, right, so look at the positive.

I worry, I really worry when I'm skating well before a competition and I worry even more when I hit everything in warm up. So.... onto

Want to remember:

I ran through my programs this week. I'm only skating in a club once a week, it's publics for everything else so I can only do programs once. I remembered the choreography mostly and did finish on time to the music. I left out an entire chunk of my freeskate. :oops: The coach noticed :oops: :oops: But, I'm ahead of schedule for competition which is coming in January so I am happy.

Hope to forget:

Flips and spins. I have so over-thought my flip that I can't do it. My arms feel weird on spins. I got so freaked out doing an upright because I felt the blood rush to my fingers as I entered the spin, it was the weirdest feeling.

doubletoe
11-15-2007, 12:45 PM

It's DEAD - bury it and pave over the grave!: What a LOUSY @$#%$^ SKATE! 8O I found more ways to screw up my choreography than you can imagine! (And that was after running through it off-ice about six times!) Tried it again - another brain-dead skate! 8O Got half way through and had no @$#% idea where I was or what I was supposed to do next! Improvised to try to salvage something...... :roll: ***Stomp the ice, kick the boards! ***

Instead of taking a week's rest before the competition, coach is now talking about "Next week we will ...." I guess I have to stay after school to improve my poor grades :evil:

***SIGH***

As my coach told me the week before I won Nationals, "Everyone always sucks the week before the big competition!" It was true. All week I could hardly even do my easiest spin! So don't worry, it will all come back just in time. :)

Muskoka Skater
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Wednesday Night

Want to Remember:

-my double loops
-my elements I worked on for the Jr.Silver test
-my death drops
-my footwork
-my double flip, double loop combo
-my axel, falling leaf, double loop sequence
-my slit jump, slit jump

Hope to Forget:

-my solo
-my double flip
-my double salchow

quarkiki2
11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Want to Remeber: How I skated pre-baby, LOL!

Hope to Forget: Was really feeling the effects of no core muscles last night. And the noticeable lessening of my power, grr! Also took a spill on our spiral/lunge pass-through when the lunger to my right took out my skating leg. Fortunately, I was paying attention and saw that we were going to collide, so I dropped my free leg and attempted to step over her instead of landing on my face when my skating leg was knocked out from beneath me. I ended up doing a very controlled fall to my knees, then slid on my hip a ways -- with no lasting effect, thankfully...

Missed Jessi last night!

jazzpants
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Today's is pretty much all...

Hope to Forgot:

I probably should have cancelled my lesson today, since I wasn't feeling particularly energetic. But I got a heavy schedule to get thru...particularly since next week is Thanksgiving and I have no lesson next week. :giveup:

First thing to do and it's becoming a "Mission Impossible"... the dreaded FO mohawks!!! I am have such a hard time turning out my feet (b/c I don't have open hip.) Of course, he tries to get one of his other Bronze students to show it. Frustrated, I told "Of course, she could do it! She has OPEN HIPS!!! :evil: "

I couldn't do more than a handful of loops. And forget about the flip and the toe loop! I just didn't want to jump! :giveup: We had to spend time on fixing my salchow so it it kicks through.

Okay, I had ONE "Want to remember"...

I finally did one salchow at the very end where it not only kicked thru but popped up pretty high (for me.) I landed it clean but the landing was a bit shaky!!! Primary coach said "WOW!!! That had a nice pop up too!!!" Should see how gitty he got...

ETA: Okay, another "Want to remember" but not skating related...

Last night I was driving down Interstate 280 down about 35-40 miles to meet my husband. During the drive down, I spotted a license plate that has "SK8" on it. Being the AOSS person that I am, I look at the rest of the license plate AND the car and realized that I am driving alongside my SECONDARY COACH'S CAR!!! 8O

I caught up with her but I had to go 3 lanes to the side of her. I couldn't just wave or honk b/c she'll just ignore me! So...I picked up my cell phone and called her cell phone. (Of course, I have my Bluetooth headset and she's pre-programmed to be voice searched.) ;)

Secondary Coach: Hello?
Me: Hey! It's Jazzpants!
SC: Hi, Jazzpants! What's up?
Me: Just out of curiosity, are you driving on Highway 280?
SC: Yes! How did you know? 8O
Me: B/c I'm three lanes to the side of you!!! :twisted:

NOW I'm honking and blinking my high beams so she sees where I am!!!

SC: OMG!!! This is just too funny!!! LMAO!!!

(Now if I was on the lane to the left of her, THEN I would have said "Look at the car to your left!" :twisted: :lol: )

We went and talked for the majority of my trip to my destination to meet my husband.

dbny
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

Terri C
11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Want to Remember:
My entry to the sitspin when it's done right!
My loops today!

Hope to Forget:
The lousy slump I've been having with the salchow this week. I've missed it all week in program runthroughs. Arrugh!

Scarlett
11-15-2007, 06:35 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Want to Remember:

Did a perfectly centered forward scratch spin. My coach was in a lesson so when he finished. I dragged him over to look at it. I just wish I could have taken the tracing home.
Loops were solid.

Hope to Forget:

Toe loops- Still hate them. Not only do I somehow manage to skid my LI 3-turn but I then do a mightily impressive toe-waltz. I just can't convince my free leg to kick through while turned out.
Sit spins - Nuff said.
Flips and lutzes were landed about 50% of the time.

Kim to the Max
11-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Want to Remember: Jumps were good tonight...along with moves :) I was able to do the full patterns of my moves and hopefully they are good enough...I was also able to do a run through of my program without music, pretty much full out and I was barely winded! Yay!!! That means that my endurance is getting much better...however, tomorrow will be interesting during my lesson.

Hope to Forget: ugh...I couldn't do a spin to save my life tonight :( Don't know what was the matter with them, especially because they were awesome on Sunday...

And then a mom at the rink asked me how old I was and basically was advising me to test on the adult track rather than the standard track...:twisted: But, I started something and I'm going to finish it, which means that I'm staying on the standard track! I am THAT close to landing my axel which would mean that I could pass my juv freestyle, which means that I can teach learn to skate here. Which, for now, is the big goal :)

Oh, and having to pay for ice tonight was not the highlight of my week :(

ibreakhearts66
11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
want to remember
i skated fairly well today. i only had an hour and a half on the ice, but i still managed to get a lot done. only popped one axel :)

double sals were really nice and solid. i'm still having issues over-rotating. i'm finally trying to remember to bend my knees when i jump, but i rotate so easily (yes i know i'm lucky) that when i DO bend my knees i over-rotate. also, another problem that i am sure others would be jealous to have is that sometimes my jumps are too big so i cant absorb the impact of the landing.

i decided to try some stars into camel spins and they went very well!

i did a couple throw-axels! it was really fun. i wasn't really thrown very hard as i am the same size as the guy/boy who was throwing me, but it was still fun!

oh i also did some good corkscrew/hydroplane spinny things.

hope to forget
ack trying new variations on the back sit. did NOT work so well

had a lovely fall. i was doing prelim moves (forward outside 3s into back crossovers). i saw that i was close to a hockey player, went to stop, and caught an edge instead. it didnt hurt or anything, but it was really pretty amusing

vesperholly
11-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Want to remember: Landed every axel I attempted, even the wonky take-off ones, and I was feeling miserable today. Here to stay, I guess! Back camels were super fast and centered. Layback out of the program footwork was great every time.

Hope to forget: American Waltz runthrough to the music was horrible. Double sals have completely deserted me - I cannot transfer my weight to the right side for the life of me. Admittedly, I haven't been working on them at all between the American and Silver FS, but usually some vestige of rotation remains. Nada. Camel-layback out of program footwork was off balance almost every time, I think I'm going to have to rework the moves going into that spin.

singerskates
11-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Hope to Forget:
My slow arms during jumps. So far, I've been able to get away with not pulling in with my arms for jumps from half flip, half lutz, split, mazuka, waltz, toe loop and salchow but for the loop, flip and lutz I need to get them in our out in a hurry. My secondary coach, wants me to get one of those elastic stretchy rope things to work on my arm strength while working on arm positioning in jumps.

Want to remember:
The improvement of my jump landing edges. Better arm placement during landings, walta, toe and salchow.
Loop was landing on one foot 19 out of 20 times but I had messy arms because I just couldn't stop checking out what I was doing on the landing and somehow got my right elbow up with my left elbow down which caused me to lean forward and to the left which caused me to land on my right inside edge instead of my right outside edge (CCW skater).

What coach said:
Secondary coach told me that when I have my arms pulling in correctly, I'm going to have to be careful not to do double jumps because even without my arms coming in, I'm rotating my loop, flip and lutz all the way around. He also said that for most it's really difficult to rotate jumps without pulling the arms in. Secondary coach has his Level 3 NCCP here in Canada. I don't know how that relates in the US but over here Level 3 means you can take a skater to Reg. Canadians and ISU events.

singerskates

Sessy
11-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Well my Y-spiral is somewhat coming along in the sense that I can stretch both legs through, although the height is miserable (still, people during public session point and say "check that out" so that's always fun to hear) and I can now do my 1-foot spin centered under pressure (meaning when somebody's watching, pointing, or even asks to show it). Okay, semi-centered.
I also did a VERY fast (everything was just 1 blur) absolutely SILENT 1-foot spin today. I don't know how come it was absolutely silent but it was, and the circles on the ice were also extremely tiny.

Other than that it went pretty miserable, right down to the crossovers.

Mrs Redboots
11-16-2007, 04:11 AM

It's DEAD - bury it and pave over the grave!: What a LOUSY @$#%$^ SKATE! 8O

***SIGH***
Oh good! You know how a bad dress rehearsal always means a great performance, so now you're all set up.

It's called "Darkest Hour syndrome" and all skaters get it.

looplover
11-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Congrats to all test takers!!!!!!!!! :bow:

Want to remember: ooh, today I did the best scratch spin of my life, superfast and completely centered with a tiny circle on the ice, one of those you just want to carve out and frame. My sit spin was decent today too.

Hope to forget: BACKSPIN I HATE YOU I HATE YOU. Also, when came out of superfast scratch spin I was kinda too dizzy to do the footwork sequence after that. Oops. Two footed the loop again. Have a mild cold so felt a little off as far as jumps go. Can't test Bronze FS in time to go to sectionals or nationals. :evil:

Rusty Blades
11-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Hope to forget: The ringette team that was supposed to be off the ice at 7:50 a.m. didn't leave the ice until 7:02.

Hope to forget: The flood that was supposed to happen at 7:50 didn't happen until 7:14.

Hope to forget: The figure skating session that was supposed to start at 7:00 didn't start until 7:20

Hope to forget: After a short warm-up I was incredibly STIFF from skating hard this week but I skated my program.

Want to remember: The whole @$#%# choreography that I could remember worth sxxx yesterday was all back today - skated through it without a problem.

Practiced lots of deep edges and spins, declined a lesson from my coach and called it a day. We'll do one more session on program next Thursday and a recreational skate Tuesday and Saturday. Then I'll do the program in front of the judges next Sunday and see how it comes off.

Coach's parting words: "Rest and stay healthy!"

peanutskates
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Tebe pamiat' otshiblo?", "Nu ti zhe ne s luni upala!",

lol, i guess it's only a matter of time till i hear those..

my memory really is stunningly bad. coach shows me 3 elements in a row (like, footwork type elements) and by the time he's finished i've forgotten the first one. so it's always like whaaaaatttt? do it again... slowly, slowly!!!

switch was extremely successful. my friend wants to do it too, but there's some weird complications... i think it's cause her coach is my coahc's student.. he doesnt want to take students from his student maybe? meh. i feel v. sorry for my friend...

yeah videos will be coming, but only when i have the hols, probably, cos then i can go in the day and my mum can come.. if only i had a normal camera, not one that only works at like 5 degrees up... :(

Sessy
11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I've got Maginon, not entirely sure of the model, it says trendy Dc3 on the front. It's actually a photo camera (though it doesn't focus close enough for macro-photography and photographing texts and close-up portraits for face only) and not a bad one at that - I've made some stunning sunset photos with it - but it does film, and that's what I chose it for - the 24 frame per second filming function. It's what I film my skating with, see results on youtube. Downside: the films have no sound. But then what do you want for under 100 euro complete with USB cable, small tripod, bag and upgraded memory card? Works off AA memories, I got it as my 21st birthday gift and it does everything I wanted it to do.
Minolta are pretty good photo cameras too in the cheap segment, but most of them had only a 12 fps function and because filming skating was one of the major requirements, I didn't go for those.

liz_on_ice
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
total blackout would be nice - stiff practice, missing jumps, forgotten program, wipeout on back crossovers of all things. Time for a cup of tea and a nap.

Bill_S
11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Do I really remember?: Had a physical with the doc today - white glove treatment and all. He pronounced me mostly healthy with the exception of high blood pressure (150/92). I skated in the early afternoon after the physical and I REALLY pushed myself to lower blood pressure through exercise. I was soaking wet with sweat when finished with the 1-1/2 hours.

Put some real power on back crossovers. I felt myself accelerating ever faster with each strong push. In one strong, extended stroke, I went from fast to VERY fast almost Zephyr-like. It is such a cool feeling that one leg's worth of extended push can make you go that fast.

I tried some CW spins with a change to CCW spin immediately afterwards. I'm surprised how easily the CW spins come to me. They're not fully-cooked, but still... maybe I'm a latent CW spinner.

Kim to the Max
11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Want to remember: Coach and I did a full run through of my moves today. And with some small adjustments, I will be testing my intermediate moves in February!! This makes me extremely happy!!!

We then worked on freestyle, had some good spins...but I also seem to be on the back of my blade for some of my spins :( I need to fix that!

Jumps were okay...the norm for me is that I do one cruddy one for coach, then I do a really good one...why can't I just do a good one the first time around? And I almost took out a couple of little kids...I was in the air for a flip jump and saw one right where I was going and freaked a little...however...I kinda' wanted to scare them a little to teach them to watch...seeing as I do have pretty good control, and I can usually avoid most collisions...

But, we also did a run through of my program, which was bad, bad, bad, but...I attempted all of the jumps and spins and while it was very bad, it is progress. I haven't done a program in a long, long, long time, so it's a start. I just really need to drill it now because I will also be testing this in February (pre-juv freestyle...I need to pass my juv free by the end of the summer so that I can teach next year!)...

Oh! And I'm going to visit my mom for the holidays and I'm going to try to surprise the people from my old rink :) That will be a ton of fun, but I also want to have my stuff in order so that I don't disappoint. I'm trying to find some ice time in Milwaukee for Dec. 23-Dec. 31 so that I'm not off the ice for an entire week, just eating, sitting around, and gaining back those 15lbs I've lost.

Hope to forget: The fact that I need to purchase a skating dress :roll: I haven't worn one since at least 1998. And as I look at the websites, I wonder when it became in good taste to show that much skin on the ice! I just want a nice, basic, black tank dress that I can wear a bra with...is that too much to ask?!? I am not a frilly girl, I just want something basic! But, there is a Rainbo shop when I go to Milwaukee to visit my mom, maybe I can find something there.

Muskoka Skater
11-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Friday Night

Want to Remember

-jump sequence: lutz, falling leaf, double loop
-jump combo: flip, double loop
-double loop, yhpee I can finally do it again by it self and not after a jump
-layback
-sit change sit
-combo spin: front sit, layback, back sit, mushroom (for elements)
-split jump, split jump
-foot work
-spiral sequence
-other spin combo: front sit, layback, back sit, back mushroom, back thompson (for solo)
-death drop
-artistic
-solo
-elements

Hope to Forget

-nothing

dbny
11-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Hope to forget:
I think it's 6 weeks now that I haven't had any time or energy to practice. I canceled last week's lesson because I was also not feeling very well, but decided I had to go today even though I had no energy. My coach noticed that right away and commented on it, urging me to take some time off, which I will do next Friday & Saturday, after Thanksgiving.

Want to Remember:
I actually managed one decent one foot spin in my lesson. I've noticed that for me, spins are the first thing to go with no practice. We worked on FO and FI three turns, but not the Prelim patterns, because I knew I wasn't up to those. I did improve the threes, and much to my surprise, after the lesson was able to do the RFI threes without any little touch down of the free foot, which is what I've been doing most of the time. It seems I haven't been rocking forward quite enough on the FI's, and when we fixed that today, I lost the fear I've been having on the RFI's. We'll see if it sticks.

kander
11-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Hope to forget: I thought my left skating boot had ruptured the inside lining near the toe but I decided to skate anyway. It hurt like H E double hockey sticks and created a nasty blister that still hurts. I took my boot to SP Teri to fix. George pokes his hand in it and pulls out wad of tape that somehow got stuck. I felt exceedingly stupid.

Want to remember: I just glad to be on the ice.

liz_on_ice
11-17-2007, 05:57 AM
George pokes his hand in it and pulls out wad of tape that somehow got stuck.

I'm sorry, but that left me :lol: Sure beats having a real problem though!

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2007, 06:49 AM
Want to remember: We did one of the best Willow Waltzes we've ever done, it felt good, and fast, and covered the ice. If I can do it like that tomorrow week (in Dunkerque) I shall be a happy bunny!

Hope to forget: We didn't get down to the rink as early as we'd hoped. And our Fiesta could be better - I find I have to choose between getting my torso in the right place and extending my free legs on the back section. Husband says "extend", and I think he's right. But our restart isn't good, either. Oh well, not a lot we can do about it, and if we skate it as well as we skated it at Oxford, I'll be pleased.

quarkiki2
11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Hope to Forget: Oh, evrything. First practice back on the ice all by myself since baby and I was pretty putrid. I'm a Frankenstein again, argh! I realize this is my own fault -- I work to the point where I feel good about my skating, then I get pregnant. I was scratchy, wobbly, and slippy today. Yech. I did all of the synchro footwork at my own speed... So, theoretically I should be able to do it all flying across the ice (not that we skat THAT fast. but momentum and all...). We'll see...

Want to remember: Chatted with Jessi for a while, yay! And another team member and the sweetest skating director alive! May have recruited another member for the team... that would put us at an even dozen and make formations a little more balanced... we'll see!

FlyAndCrash
11-17-2007, 01:21 PM
remember: by "bad" double toe. My first ever!!! I didn't even know what I was doing, and I HATE toe loops.

forget: my moves - fell twice on the same circle during bwd crossovers.

Muskoka Skater
11-17-2007, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=FlyAndCrash;344404]remember: by "bad" double toe. My first ever!!! I didn't even know what I was doing, and I HATE toe loops.QUOTE]

Great job even though you hate double toes:D!!

ibreakhearts66
11-17-2007, 05:09 PM
want to remember
I did some reeaaaly nice, fast flying camels.

worked on double axels my coach! some of them weren't particularly pretty, but i actually got the full rotation on one! my air position is hillarious. in general, i have a very nice air position, toes pointed and all. well, i guess i'm intimidated by double axels and i just want to get the rotation. my air position looks like, as my coach so eloquently put it, i am looking for the toilet. i did some with a nice air position tho!

hope to forget
ugh new sit spin position are still not working. at all.