View Full Version : Club "bullying" people into testing

Sessy
11-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I need you guys' advise (especially the coaches).

This isn't about me or my club actually, but about somebody I know very well. This person I speak of is kind of upset right now, because the figure skating club she's skating at is sort of "bullying" their group class into testing, more like, brainwashing. Even though the majority of the class have no desire to test (beginner's level (really-) adults only class).

So I can't help but wonder: why is the club so persistent? I can't really go over there and just ask them for their reasons because that would be very weird, since I'm a complete outsider. But somehow I've got the feeling there's probably two sides of the story.

So why would a club insist so thoroughly on the students testing? Why go through all the trouble and spend ice time on peptalks to get people to test? What's in it for the club?

Could it be they're just so used to teaching kids that they don't realise the same lesson plan won't fit these adults? I mean at *our* rink (with no separate adult classes), everybody just tests, nobody even comes up with the idea that they might not want to - I'm guessing it's the same at their rink for the younger people... Could it be they don't even realise this group of older people just don't have that ambition and that it's more than just nervousness?

It can't be to divide by level, right? I mean, wouldn't the coaches be able to estimate a student's level well even without testing?

Or is there some hidden agenda, interests?

Skittl1321
11-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I do think that's a bit silly, it's a waste of money for a skater if the skater has no interest in doing it.

Here are some reasons it might be happening.

a) The club wants to hold a test session for the skaters that want to test, but can't fill the time slots, and will lose money if they don't get more testers.

b) The club is raising the prices and makes money off tests, thus wants more testers.

c) The club looks good if it says we have had X number of people pass Y test- and X is higher than another club in the area.

d) Coaches (at least here) can earn credentials based on what tests their students have passed. That might be the motivation.

Sessy
11-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I know, it doesn't make any sense...

Well I think the club wouldn't be making, but actually loosing money of it either way, but the time slots thing sounds plausible! Thanks!

jskater49
11-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Hmmm..."bullying" is a pretty strong word. Are they threatening skaters with something if they don't test? Are they belittling or being abusive to skaters that don't test? Personally, not knowing the other side, I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time ascribing motivations when we don't really know what is going on or why the person involved is so offended by it.

j

Sessy
11-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Well that's why I put these signs around it: ""

Really they just keep telling everybody that they "have to" test. Like over and over and over and over and over and over again. And the coach is focussing her attention on those who wanna test - which is kind of natural though, I know, but it's not perceived that way.

That's why I'm saying, kind of got to be two sides of the story, that's why I asked the question. I'm not saying the club is wrong, I'm just saying I'm curious why they'd be this persistent.

kayskate
11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I am assuming this club is in the Netherlands. I teach grp lessons in the US. I have taught ISI and USFS. Testing is part of the class. The test is usually held the last or second to last day of grp class. It is informal. As the instructor, I test my own class. Some rinks may have another instructor test the class esp if it is a higher level. The test allows the skater to move on to the next class in the series. The skaters do not pay extra for it.

Is this a similar situation to what you are posting about?

Kay

teresa
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I think coaches encourage skaters to test. And, I think many would like them to try. I "test" with my coach but don't take the tests per say. I want the skills to be the best I can make them and want the feedback to improve. I don't want to spend the money on them though. I want to learn the skills, be the best I can be, but I could care less to pass tests. This is not my focus although it's great if it is. I want to be challenged and see what I can learn. Tell your friend it's okay. Skating is a journey for you. Just make sure she has a coach who understands her feelings and pushes her along in skating anyway.

teresa

Sessy
11-11-2007, 03:52 AM
I am assuming this club is in the Netherlands. I teach grp lessons in the US. I have taught ISI and USFS. Testing is part of the class. The test is usually held the last or second to last day of grp class. It is informal. As the instructor, I test my own class. Some rinks may have another instructor test the class esp if it is a higher level. The test allows the skater to move on to the next class in the series. The skaters do not pay extra for it.

Is this a similar situation to what you are posting about?

Kay

Hmm it must be an other instructer than from your club, but not necessarily a judge, and you get certificates named by the first letters of the alphabet which can matter for the smaller for fun competitions (if you're a kid, they don't do that for adults) but not for serious competitions. Our club rented extra ice time for the tests. When I tested all five together in december it was just me and the lady on a third of the ice during normal group class hours, but usually they'll test the entire group class with taking turns for doing an element and if they think you failed an element they'll ask you try again (like with my 2-foot spin), but even if you fail that element on your second try but do REALLY well on the other elements, you could pass the test (although that's not true for the 1-foot-spin and jumps test anymore, which is used by our club to allow you to compete at all or not).
The demands aren't very big, it's only 3 revolutions for the 1-foot spin and it's only asked you show "some" edges on the mohawks for example. Our club doesn't let people who might fail test, they only arrange (I think they actually have to file paperwork but I'm not sure here) for you to take the test after your coach has gone through the elements with you and graded it all sufficient, so not all of the class tests. I don't know how it is at other clubs. But even at our club people fail, because of nerves usually, sometimes injury.

As for payment, I'm not entirely clear on that. When I wanted to test, I suddenly had to pay a KNSB license, but that's a one-time fee. It's not a per test thing for those alphabet tests (it is for the interbrons and brons and interzilver etc tests). You get a boring magazine with the license. I don't think the club gets any money from the license.

kayskate
11-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Sounds like a more formal test than we have in group lessons in the US (at least those where I have taught). You friend may not want to be bothered with something formal and possibly intimidating if s/he is just skating for personal satisfaction. S/he may also not want the pay extra fees or may not be able to get to the test session or may just feel very nervous.

I stopped formally testing due to nerves. I blew an easy element on a basic test b/c I was so nervous. It really turned me off. I was not coaching at the time and did not foresee myself coaching. However, now I feel I have to take those tests for my coaching career. Unfortunately, I do not have the $ right now. Maybe the same w your friend.

Kay

coskater64
11-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Is this in the US? Generally a club has no business in the group lessons offered by the facility unless they own the facility. The lessons are usually run by a skating director and at the end of a set time there is always a test to see the progress of the skaters and to either have them continue working on skills they haven't mastered or move on to gain new skills. Our club has a gateway program once skaters start getting to the FS2-3 level we (the skating director and the club) encourage them to look towards the standard track with information about skating and it's costs and information about picking a coach and introduction to small competitions that our local.

We don't bully we just offer...

:halo:

Sessy
11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Okay thank you everybody for your input :)

I believe I have my question answered. :bow:

flo
11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
When I was leading group lessons we did encourage our adults to test. Those that did progressed more and stayed with the program longer. Those that did not wish to test were usually in the same group, and were taught whatever they wanted to learn.