View Full Version : Looking for a quote and who said it.

3skatekiddos
11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
It goes something like " Hockey players try to hurt the other team and in figure skating you try to hurt yourself "

Can anyone tell me the actual quote and who said it ?

Thanks !

Award
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Refer to this link....

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=25057

post #17

"In figure skating you're killing yourself and in hockey someone else is trying to kill you."

Rusty Blades
11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
dbny's paraphrase is a little off but the source was definitely Scott Hamilton on Blades of Glory, in the "extras" part of the DVD.

dbny
11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
dbny's paraphrase is a little off but the source was definitely Scott Hamilton on Blades of Glory, in the "extras" part of the DVD.

Can anyone quote him exactly? I would like to get it right, as I find myself repeating it fairly often at the rink :lol:.

Rusty Blades
11-07-2007, 02:31 PM
If I have a chance, I will look at the DVD tonight and write it down.

I have taken the paraphrase (which is better!) and posted it on my wall:

"In hockey, guys try to kill each other

In figure skating, you try to kill yourself

Scott Hamilton"

That is better than his exact words :)

Rusty Blades
11-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Question: Hockey or figure skating, which is tougher?

Hamilton: In figure skating you’re killing yourself and in hockey someone else is trying to kill you.

kander
11-08-2007, 12:22 AM
I've been saying the same thing for 15 years! Great minds think alike :)

Kevin

dbny
11-08-2007, 01:05 AM

Hamilton: In figure skating you’re killing yourself and in hockey someone else is trying to kill you.

I'm pretty sure he named hockey first.

Award
11-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm pretty sure he named hockey first.

no no ..... rusty gave the exact quote. It is .... "In figure skating you’re killing yourself and in hockey someone else is trying to kill you."

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2007, 03:03 AM

The quote I prefer is: "If figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!"

I very nearly bought a mug with that on it, some years ago now.

Award
11-08-2007, 11:17 PM
The quote I prefer is: "If figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey!"

hahaha! Not if someone is trying to kill you hehe

When comparing the skating between figure skating and hockey skating, figure skating has far more advanced levels of skating than for hockey. But ice hockey at a high level is also not easy. Figure skating and ice hockey both take a lot of training and practice to be good at the top level.

I prefer figure skating. Since if you develop your skills very well in figure skating, you will be able to do basically everything that a typical hockey skater can do hehe (as far as skating is concerned anyway.....and, with practice of course). But also have to remember that hockey skaters can also learn and do figure skating. And some of them even have figure skating background! Once, I saw somebody that was playing hockey, but in a different session, was in a figure skating session doing triples. And I thought 'oh! gee'......this means that if someone is playing hockey, it doesn't necessarily mean that their skating level is average. hehe