View Full Version : Good Luck Test-Takers!

Isk8NYC
11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Good luck to all our skatingforums.com test-takers!

Thursday 11/8 - doubletoe - Intermediate MIF

double3s
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Me too:

Saturday 11/10:
Bronze Moves
Rhythm Blues
ChaCha

Isk8NYC
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Yay double3s! Show 'em how it's done! Best of luck.

doubletoe
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Go Double3s! Let's have a DOUBLE pass this week!:D

jazzpants
11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Good luck to double3's...

And am thinking of doubletoe this morning on her Int. Moves test. Show 'em how it's done, girlfrend!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

What the heck...

~~~ MORE good Int. Moves vibes ~~~> doubletoe

~~~ Good test vibes ~~~> double3's

Isk8NYC
11-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Good luck to all our skatingforums.com test-takers!

Thursday 11/8 - doubletoe - Intermediate MIFCrossing fingers, toes and eyes. (Thought of you this morning, but didn't get on the internet until now.)

aaaaannnnndddddd.......????????

jazzpants
11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Crossing fingers, toes and eyes. (Thought of you this morning, but didn't get on the internet until now.)

aaaaannnnndddddd.......????????

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif (Better post before I ran out of nails to bite there!!! :lol: Of course, if you're testing, take your time!!!)

doubletoe
11-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Well. . . I took a half day off work today so that I could practice on my test ice this afternoon at the beginning of the public session with my coach. I skated all my moves beautifully for him and he was really positive and complimentary. He was sure I was going to pass and was even kind of excited.

On the test session, I didn't do too badly in the 5 minute warmup but I could tell I was a little nervous and I noticed the ice was much harder than it had been in the afternoon (it's always a hockey session right before our Thursday evening test sessions so that could be why).

I started my test and got through the forward and backward power circles just fine, but as soon as I started the first of the back power 3's pattern, the fear and nerves took over and my knees just froze up! I pretty much lost it and fell apart a little on the clockwise ones after that. So I knew I would have to re-skate that entire move in both directions and could not make any mistakes on the next 3 moves. So of course that made me nervous, which made my back double 3's weaker than usual, and the nerves crept in a little on the brackets as well, even the ones that are normally really smooth. I got through them, but they were nowhere near the quality I normally do. Needless to say, the nerves on the back double 3's and brackets put me just under passing on those and sealed my fate. I was not given a chance to re-skate the back power 3's. That "Thank you" from the judges who aren't giving you a chance to re-skate anything is the only "Thank you" I actually hate.

I am really frustrated and upset because I know it's all mental at this point. 5 of these 6 moves were on the Adult Gold MIF test, which I passed on the first try TWO years ago, but the passing standard REALLY is higher on the standard track test and the new back power 3's move just messes with my head. . . I don't really need this test for anything, which makes me even madder! I could just let it go, but I don't want to let this test get the best of me so I guess I will take it again. I just think I'd better take it at a different rink because I now have a pretty strong association with messing up the back power 3's and failing at our rink. So I am going to find out how to test at the rink I practice at on Sundays, which is Olympic sized (no danger of running into the boards like I did last year on the back power 3's) and has softer ice, which is much kinder to shaky edges. :(

Double 3's, may you have soft ice, kind judges and no nerves. I hope to hear a positive report from your test!

jazzpants
11-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Awwww, man!!! I'm sorry to hear about that, doubletoe. Yeah, test nerves usually gets me and I'm figuring it out that it's usually it's on MOVES tests that it hits me, not FS tests (though obviously it doesn't mean I don't get nervous on FS tests either!!!)

(((doubletoe)))

How close are you to passing? If you're REALLY close, get back in there and take it again the next chance you have! You *KNOW* you're ready for it! You just have to BELIEVE that you ARE READY for it and show 'em how it's done!!! Meanwhile, you have a bit more time practicing that back power 3's move in the CW direction a bit more. Get it so it comes naturally and it will be a matter of time that you'll pass it!!!

Go get 'em, kiddo!!!

doubletoe
11-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks, Jazzzpants. . . Without the nerves, I would venture to say I'm passing already, but with the nerves. . . These were my actual scores, with passing for each move being 3.2:

Forward Power Circles: 3.3, 3.1, 3.2 = 3.2 avg

Back Power Circles: 3.3, 3.2, 3.2 = 3.23 avg

Back Power 3's: 3.0, 2.9, 3.0 = 2.97 avg

Back Double 3's: 3.2, 3.1, 3.1 = 3.13 avg

Brackets: 3.2, 3.0, 3.0 = 3.07 avg

The ironic thing is that the toughest, highest level judge is the one who passed me the passing score on the brackets. Go figure.

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2007, 01:36 AM
@@@@Hugs@@@@ Doubletoe. I know how frustrating it is when you know you could skate well enough to pass and didn't. Been there, done that.

Next time, okay?

vesperholly
11-09-2007, 03:44 AM
doubletoe, I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass! Intermediate moves are rotten. I struggled with them for years before passing and they are to date the only test I cried over when I passed. There is a huge jump from Juvenile to Intermediate in terms of skating ability, demands of the test, and a whole slew of new skills are introduced. Don't be disheartened! Sometimes tests are as much about getting over your nerves as they are about skating your best. Just because you don't "need" the test doesn't make it a worthless goal. Next time, baby, you'll kick those moves' butts!!

techskater
11-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry for the retry, doubletoe.
Vesper, I cried when I passed too! I was SOOO happy when it happened. Mine could have passed the first time (passed 1 judge, didn't pass 2 judges by 0.2 total, no reskate) and if I had ever taken a MIF test previously (I passed my Gold FS before MIF implemented), I probably would have gotten over the nerves on that first try and gotten them then. The biggest thing I found that was different on my passing test was I projected confidence, even on the move I hated (CCW power 3's - my non-rotational direction)! I took my time between each move to take a deep breath and a drink of water when I needed it. My coach wasn't even there because we found out at the last minute I was on the session! I just remembered what to focus on on each move.

Isk8NYC
11-09-2007, 10:22 AM
So sorry doubletoe, I was rooting for you to blow them away with your skating.

I hope you retake the test and do really, really well on it next time!

vesperholly
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Sorry for the retry, doubletoe.
Vesper, I cried when I passed too! I was SOOO happy when it happened.
Aren't we silly! :) I didn't even cry when I passed Junior moves in January! I probably will when I pass Senior, though. *fantasizes about being a gold medalist*

The biggest thing I found that was different on my passing test was I projected confidence, even on the move I hated (CCW power 3's - my non-rotational direction)!
Yes, that really makes a huge difference. I smiled my way through the tests, even though I was going "friiiiiiick" in my head the whole time. Maybe that's what testing is really about: Learning look like you know how to skate while simultaneously panicking in your head. :)

doubletoe
11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks, everybody. (((HUG)))

Yeah, I know the confidence projection is important, and believe me, I was fine until my knees locked up on the first back power 3 and made me stumble through that set and the whole rest of that move! I did manage to project confidence again once I got to the final move (Slide Chasse), but I guess I'm just not quite that good at faking it yet.:roll: I will need to do these back power 3's over and over and over in practice until I feel like I can do them in my sleep, and then pretty much step on the ice for my next test with an "I'll show you, you blastards" attitude!

I saw two Juvenile MIF tests last night and it occurred to me that a major disadvantage of going from the adult track to the standard track is that you skip some of the moves that will prepare you for the next standard track test. There's a back power 3's move on the Juvenile test that makes it much easier for the kids to master the back power 3's on the Intermediate test, and I didn't take the Juv test so I guess that would explain why I seem to have so much more trouble on these things than everyone else. I was starting to think I was just developmentally disabled. :p

techskater
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM
The move that gives you the most problems should be the one used for daily warm up. I hate the perimeter to quick rocker choctaws on the Novice test, so it is used by me for warm up at least 60% of the time I'm on the ice. It gets progressively better each time I work on it because I choose to focus on it. When I was preparing for the Intermediate test, I patched brackets and double threes a minimum 1/week for the entire summer and then worked on the MIF pattern seperately from my patch session. This helped my understanding of the turns and control which enabled me to skate both of these patterns well when it came time to test. I spent part of this summer patching counters and rockers (counters on the Novice test AND in my circular step sequence and rockers in my circular step sequence and on the junior test). I have asked my coach not to focus on testing until spring/summer 2008 because I have other things to focus on right now.

doubletoe
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
The move that gives you the most problems should be the one used for daily warm up. I hate the perimeter to quick rocker choctaws on the Novice test, so it is used by me for warm up at least 60% of the time I'm on the ice. It gets progressively better each time I work on it because I choose to focus on it. When I was preparing for the Intermediate test, I patched brackets and double threes a minimum 1/week for the entire summer and then worked on the MIF pattern seperately from my patch session. This helped my understanding of the turns and control which enabled me to skate both of these patterns well when it came time to test. I spent part of this summer patching counters and rockers (counters on the Novice test AND in my circular step sequence and rockers in my circular step sequence and on the junior test). I have asked my coach not to focus on testing until spring/summer 2008 because I have other things to focus on right now.

Yes, using my most hated move as my warmup every time I skate is probably a good idea. . . as much as I would hate that level of adrenaline surging through my barely awake body as soon as I step onto that rock hard early morning ice. . .

doubletoe
11-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Double 3's, thinking of you and wishing you calm nerves and perfect edges today! Let us know how it goes!

Meanwhile, I just found a December 14 test session at an Olympic sized rink that usually has softer ice than ours, so I am signing up to re-take that blasted Intermediate MIF test there!

jazzpants
11-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Double 3's, thinking of you and wishing you calm nerves and perfect edges today! Let us know how it goes!Good Luck, double3's!!! We're looking forward to hearing about your test results!!! :D

Meanwhile, I just found a December 14 test session at an Olympic sized rink that usually has softer ice than ours, so I am signing up to re-take that blasted Intermediate MIF test there!YAAAAY!!! And since it's an Olympic size rink, running into the wall will be one less worry for you during the test!!! All you have to do is let go and push thru the moves!!! You can do this!!! :D

(WOW!!! Same day as when Terri C is gonna take her Bronze FS test too! I'll have a double whammy http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifday then!!! Better grow out my nails... LOL!!!)

doubletoe
11-10-2007, 09:53 PM
(WOW!!! Same day as when Terri C is gonna take her Bronze FS test too! I'll have a double whammy http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifday then!!! Better grow out my nails... LOL!!!)

ROFLMAO! :lol:

double3s
11-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks everyone! I passed all three tests! Excessive detail (and photos!) are here (http://3turn.livejournal.com/2007/11/10/).

Muskoka Skater
11-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Congratulations double3s, you are probably are very excited, excellent job! Oh my 23days till I take some of my tests, yikes8O!!

doubletoe
11-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Way to go, Double3's!!! :bow:

jazzpants
11-11-2007, 01:01 PM
YAAAAAY!!! Congrats to you, double3's!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(Yeah, I *hate* those forwars power 3's too!) :evil:

chowskates
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey doubletoe, sorry to hear about the retry...

I saw two Juvenile MIF tests last night and it occurred to me that a major disadvantage of going from the adult track to the standard track is that you skip some of the moves that will prepare you for the next standard track test.

That's an interesting observation. I suppose I haven't been following the rationale behind the moves included in the adult track, but... why are they different from the standard track? After all, the adult track for dance is just a lower passing - not different dances!

By the way, is it possible for adults to continue testing the standard track MIF?

Cheers,
Chow
(who's hoping to continue testing some day...)

Kim to the Max
11-13-2007, 06:01 AM
By the way, is it possible for adults to continue testing the standard track MIF?

Yes! I am actually continuing on the standard track...as a "kid" a passed through my Juv moves and Preliminary free, and I am continuing on the standard track for both of them. Some of the moms in the club I skate with were amazed that I didn't have to start testing on the adult track even though I am 27....

doubletoe
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM

That's an interesting observation. I suppose I haven't been following the rationale behind the moves included in the adult track, but... why are they different from the standard track? After all, the adult track for dance is just a lower passing - not different dances!

Yes, in fact that is why I was taking a standard track MIF test. Once you have passed the highest adult MIF test (Adult Gold), you can cross over to the standard track and start at the Intermediate MIF test. I'm not sure exactly why we have different moves on different tests than the kids do, but it has something to do with the skills they figured we would need as competing adults. A few moves are higher level than the roughly corresponding standard track tests, while a few are lower.

For example, on the Adult Gold MIF test, 5 of the 6 moves are from the Intermediate test and one is from the Juvenile test. The back power 3's from the Juvenile test are not on the Adult Silver test and the more difficult back power 3's pattern from the Intermediate test is not on the Adult Gold test, so back power 3's are clearly one skill they decided wasn't as important as the others for the adults (unfortunately for me!). Also, many of the Pre-preliminary moves come up on the Pre-Bronze and Bronze tests, but the Pre-preliminary spirals don't come up on the adult track MIF tests until Adult Silver. I think they figured adults might not be as limber as the kids and they didn't want to have the spirals prevent adults from qualifying for competition at the lowest levels. As the Adult MIF tests evolve,though, they seem to be coming more in line with the standard track tests. For instance, the Novice move that used to be on the Gold test is gone, and the Intermediate move that used to be on the Silver test has now been moved up to the Gold test with the other Intermediate moves.

Debbie S
11-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Also, many of the Pre-preliminary moves come up on the Pre-Bronze and Bronze tests, Actually, there are no Pre-Prelim moves on the Bronze test. 3 of the Pre-Prelim moves (stroking, edges, waltz 8) are on Pre-Bronze MIF and the Bronze test has 2 Prelim moves and 3 Pre-Juv moves (although the passing standard is the same for the second test (Prelim) on the standard track - 2.7). In Silver, there are the Pre-Prelim spirals (which I'm trying to milk for all the extra points I can get - lol) and then the other 3 Pre-Juv moves which weren't on Bronze (evil 3-turns in the field and the power pulls), plus 2 Juv moves (cross strokes and verrrry evil 8-step ;) ), and passing standard for all moves is 2.7, same as for Pre-Juv.

I took the Pre-Bronze MIF test when it had the alternating 3's, which have since been removed from the adult track (thank goodness!) and have been replaced with a newly-designed "adult 3-turn pattern", which essentially fulfills the same purpose as the alt 3's (testing all of the forward 3-turns) but w/o the twisting (choctaw) motion at the axis line, which is VERY hard for adults to learn, at least at the Pre-Bronze level. After watching a recent Pre-Bronze MIF test, I decided that the 3-turn move would make more sense to have on the Bronze test (perhaps in place of the power 3's?), since the forward 3-turns are not tested until the 2nd test on the standard track (Prelim) and based on the standard the judges seemed to be applying when they judged the move, I think adult skaters would get more out of it (meaning they would have the skill level needed to demonstrate reasonably decent and technically correct turns and then apply that to future skills) if the move was on the Bronze test. And since the progression on the standard track seems to be forward 3-turns (on Prelim) to forward and back 3-turns (Pre-Juv) to double 3's (Juv and Int), it makes sense to have the 3-turns on Bronze as a prerequisite to the 3-turns in the field on the Silver test (and then the double 3's on the Gold test). JMO.

On the subject of BO power 3's, I actually practice those on a circle, although my level of power is nothing close to what you see on the Juv and Int moves :oops:. I've found that it helps me with the BO turns on the Silver test, esp with the LBO turns - I have the worst time getting and turning on the BO edge on that side. I've found that doing the power BO 3 exercise helps me try to transfer what I do on my right side to my left. And I figure if I can do BO 3's at speed with mohawks in between, doing them on the Silver MIF pattern should be no problem. :)

Thin-Ice
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Cheers,
Chow
(who's hoping to continue testing some day...)

You can do both tracks simultaneously, too. I've passed my Silver & Pre-Juve and have been working Juvenile Moves, which I hope to take early next summer.

And there are only 4 (used to be 3 when they implemented Adult Moves) Adult Moves tests.. so they originally chose the moves they thought would create a ladder of skills for the Adult Moves. Remember, if you pass your Adult Gold Moves, you've earned a Gold Medal in (3 or) 4 Moves tests. The kids have to take 8 moves tests to earn that Gold medal.

Stormy
11-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Remember, if you pass your Adult Gold Moves, you've earned a Gold Medal in (3 or) 4 Moves tests. The kids have to take 8 moves tests to earn that Gold medal.

I did standard track long before I did Adult, then was working on both, I passed Intermediate a year and a half before I passed Adult Gold. It felt great to say I'm a Gold Medalist once I passed my Gold moves. But I still want the standard track one. I had a goal to pass Senior moves before I was 30, but that's NOT gonna happen now. Now I might test Novice before I'm 30, but I've decided to put moves on complete hold till after Nationals.

Muskoka Skater
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
December 5th, I'm taking: Star Light, Gold Artistic, Jr.Silver elements, and Jr.Silver freeskate. I hope I pass them!!:halo:!!

blackmanskating
11-19-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm taking my Bronze MITF and Bronze FS December 2nd. I'll post up all the details and let everybody know how it turns out!!! Nervousness is kicking in already. 2 weeks.

BlackManSkating

Muskoka Skater
11-19-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm taking my Bronze MITF and Bronze FS December 2nd.

Good Luck, hope you pass!!

SK8RX
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm taking my Bronze MITF and Bronze FS December 2nd. I'll post up all the details and let everybody know how it turns out!!! Nervousness is kicking in already. 2 weeks.

BlackManSkating

Good luck on your tests! If I may offer you a bit of advice, last week I passed my gold moves and free, and even though I was nervous and just wanted it over with, what really did it for me was believing in the fact that I had trained hard for it, had excellent coaching preparing me to pass, and that I could do everything in the tests at least to passing standard. That really helped me to calm down when I took the ice and began the test. Also, it helps to remember to breathe, and that the time on the ice is yours and yours alone. Take whatever time you need to settle down between each element, and I am sure you'll do fine. It worked for me! Best of luck!

Terri C
12-08-2007, 03:09 PM
From what I've read Stormy, doubletoe and I are testing this week!
Let the pass vibes come out!

Isk8NYC
12-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Best vibes for uneventful tests for all of you! Hope you all pass with flying feet!

Muskoka Skater
12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
So I took my Jr. Silver elements, Jr. Silver free skate, Star Light, and Gold artistic on Wednesday. I passed my Jr. Silver elements!! I failed my Jr. Silver free skate but if I landed my sequence jump the judge said I would easily pass, and failed my artistic and Star Light. the artistic I skated very badly. The star light I no clue why I failed but I don't care, there is always another test day.

stacyf419
12-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I mentioned this in my other post (test sessions in nj) but I am going to be testing for my adult pre-bronze moves and freestyle on December 17th. It's my first test session, and I really am very nervous.
Good luck to everyone else testing out there!

SynchroSk8r114
12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I am testing my Intermediate freestyle (4th time - ugh! :oops:) and my Blues (last pre-gold dance!) this Wednesday!!!

chantelly
12-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm taking my level 2 and 3 free dance tests tomorrow! I pulled out of the field moves, there was just no way they were going to work! I'll let you all know how i get on! xx

vesperholly
12-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I passed my tests today! Adult Silver FS and American Waltz.

Jumps (flip-loop, falling leaf-loop, loop, flip, salchow) were all really big and secure, felt great. Spins ... meh. The combination that I was stressing over, camel-layback was fine, not my best but acceptable. Then I FELL on the layback, wtf, and barely got 2 revolutions on the solo camel. So those were my reskates, and the reskates were solid. Phew!

American went swimmingly. Partnering was a big off sync but the solo was fine. I put on my "idiot grin" which always seems to go over well with judges. Like this: :mrgreen:

Hooray! Adult Nationals, here I come!!

Isk8NYC
12-11-2007, 03:54 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Good luck to our other test-takers!

phoenix
12-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Congrats to all test takers!! Pass or fail, it takes so much work & courage to get out there.

I just sent in my application for testing the Killian 1/11. Eeeek!!!

SynchroSk8r114
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Le, sigh...only testing my Blues tomorrow because my Intermediate freestyle conflicts with a public relations final I have. Oh well, it's probably for the better...there's too much going on this week. I'll just focus on my slinkly Blues and hopefully pass! It's my last Pre-Gold and I've already started learning the Vienesse, so...here goes nothing, LOL!

Good luck to all others as well! ;)

myste12
12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I passed my tests today! Adult Silver FS and American Waltz. Hooray! Adult Nationals, here I come!!

Congratulations!!!

Terri C
12-11-2007, 06:55 PM
I passed my tests today! Adult Silver FS and American Waltz. Hooray! Adult Nationals, here I come!!

Congratulations!
Okay now please pass those pass vibes to me- I need them Friday at 11:48 am for my Bronze free!

doubletoe
12-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Jumps (flip-loop, falling leaf-loop, loop, flip, salchow) were all really big and secure, felt great. Spins ... meh. The combination that I was stressing over, camel-layback was fine, not my best but acceptable. Then I FELL on the layback, wtf, and barely got 2 revolutions on the solo camel. So those were my reskates, and the reskates were solid. Phew!

American went swimmingly. Partnering was a big off sync but the solo was fine. I put on my "idiot grin" which always seems to go over well with judges. Like this: :mrgreen:

That is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet you at AN! :mrgreen:

Stormy
12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
We're all a bunch of busy test takers this week!! I'm taking my Gold Free on Thursday around 12:30 PM, so send the good vibes my way then. I feel really good going into it. My axel was meh tonight, but under pressure, it's good, I'm not worried. As long as I land the axel, everything else will be easy!

mikawendy
12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Good luck, Stormy, TerriC, and those others of you who still have yet to test this wee!

Terri C
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
We're all a bunch of busy test takers this week!! I'm taking my Gold Free on Thursday around 12:30 PM, so send the good vibes my way then. I feel really good going into it. My axel was meh tonight, but under pressure, it's good, I'm not worried. As long as I land the axel, everything else will be easy!

Okay, so Stormy can get the pass vibes and then send them south to me and I will then send them west to doubletoe!!

My sitspin is the Holy Grail for me on this test. On lesson runthrough #2 today I had to reskate it and was fine. Everything else is fine.

doubletoe
12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Okay, so Stormy can get the pass vibes and then send them south to me and I will then send them west to doubletoe!!

My sitspin is the Holy Grail for me on this test. On lesson runthrough #2 today I had to reskate it and was fine. Everything else is fine.

You've got it, Terri C! And you can have my sitspin for the next few days, since I won't be needing it. ;)

jazzpants
12-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Good luck SynchroSk8r114, doubletoe, Terri C, Stormy... anyone one else I've missed! Stay CALM and skate strong!!!

(Doubletoe: I got more extra long fake nails to bite on... just for you!!! LOL!!!) http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif

Congrats to vesperholly!!! YAAAAAY!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (ETA: Looks like we're FINALLY gonna meet each other in Lake Placid after ALL THESE YEARS!!! :mrgreen: )

chantelly
12-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I passed both level 2 and 3 free dance Yay! xx

Isk8NYC
12-12-2007, 10:28 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

SK8RX
12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Congratulations! See you in Lake Placid! :P :bow:

Mrs Redboots
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Yay, congratulations!!!!

SynchroSk8r114
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I passed my Blues today! I'm officially on my Gold dances! :mrgreen:

jazzpants
12-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Congratulations to BOTH of ya!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Scarlett
12-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Just sending out Congratulations to all our test passers and wishing a good luck to all our test takers today.

Isk8NYC
12-13-2007, 07:02 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

Thin-Ice
12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Woo-Hoo!!! More success stories!

doubletoe
12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Congratulations, Synchroskater114 and Chantelly!!!:bow: :bow:

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Congratulations to BOTH of ya!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Seconded by me!

Stormy
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM
I wish I had good news to share, but I do not. Yup...the dreaded retry. And honestly, I am not sure why. I skated a good program. Completed every element, jumps secure with good landings, made SURE every spin was at least 4 revs each position, smiled, the whole bit. And I failed by all 3 judges. Slammed. I've never heard comments in my entire skating career(for lack of a better term) like I did today. Need stronger jumps. Weak. SLOW spins, slow footwork. The ONLY positive comment I got from any of them was nice spirals. And I thought the spirals were a weaker part since I haven't been stretching lately. I truly don't understand. Every element was completed and I KNOW they were passing standard. And I didn't have to reskate anything, so I thought I was good. I can critique myself objectively, and where as there were parts of the program that could have been better, overall, it wasn't a retry program, no way, no how. I mean, I passed my Juv free in August, and since that was judged on Standard track, if I can pass Juvenile, I should be able to pass Gold, judged on an Adult standard.

And I had a glitch with my music, it wouldn't play on their CD player, so as I ran to get my backup, they let another lady who was also taking Gold free skate. I saw her whole program, and it was no weaker or stronger than mine. She didn't complete her whole combo spin and she two footed her axel. They had her reskate the axel and she landed it roughly, and then didn't even complete the back sit on her camel, sit-backsit combo. She got one rev before she fell out of it. And I heard the judge say "We'll take it!" to her spin. And she passed! BUT, she was from the club we were testing at, and all the judges were from that club, too.

To make it all WORSE, I had to go back to work right after the test at the start of a blizzard and ended up stranded at work until 10 PM. I JUST got home and showered.

So I just feel like a sucky skater right now. I can retry Gold again before the AN deadline (in a 4 day window), but I'll obviously miss the Championship event deadline. I'm not sure if I even want to retest Gold now for AN....maybe I'll just be a 5th year Silver. We'll see.

So I am sending as many positive vibes as I can to the others taking tests tomorrow. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Debbie S
12-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh, I'm sorry Stormy. That sucks. And after you landed the axel and everything. I hope you pass the next time you try!

jazzpants
12-14-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm so sorry, Stormy! That is just weird that you did all your jumps and spins and decent footwork and STILL didn't pass the test. That REALLY SUCKS!!! :evil:

You could give the Gold FS test another try before the deadline and try out the non-qualifying Gold events before plunging into the Championship events. Then again, if it were me, I probably would be thinking "The only reason I would want to go thru the agony of testing Gold FS is to be part of that Championship event" too. It's a tough decision.

Thin-Ice
12-14-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Stormy. Do you know any of the judges? Might any of them be open to telling you more details on why they didn't pass you, but did pass the other gold tester? Can you ask the Test Chair of that club to set up a short Q&A while it's all still relatively fresh in their minds? You say you felt "slammed" by the test sheet comments. Did you think your spins and footwork were as fast as usual? Did they feel slow? Did they say why the jumps were "weak"? Sometimes when I'm judging, I write down general comments because there's not much time to put down details -- especially during a FS program that is packed. Did they think the jumps were low or didn't cover much distance or your rotations were not quite what they wanted? Those kinds of details might give you a clue to what the judges' mindsets were. And I'm sure it's ESPECIALLY hard to deal with when you felt you were as strong as the other skater who did pass.

vesperholly
12-14-2007, 04:47 AM
So I just feel like a sucky skater right now. I can retry Gold again before the AN deadline (in a 4 day window), but I'll obviously miss the Championship event deadline. I'm not sure if I even want to retest Gold now for AN....maybe I'll just be a 5th year Silver. We'll see.
You DEFINITELY should go NQ Gold this year. You are absolutely competitive in that level, and I think it'd be a great way to keep challenging yourself and test the waters for Championship next year. You are NOT a sucky skater!!! Juvenile FS? :bow: Gold MIF? :bow:

Skating can be so unfair. Sometimes you pass/win when you shouldn't have, sometimes you fail/lose when you shouldn't have. Don't let the b@stards get you down! :evil: (((Stormy)))

Terri C
12-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Stormy,
Damn that sucks!!! I'll keep a chin up for you today!!

Isk8NYC
12-14-2007, 07:18 AM
So sorry, Stormy. Maybe since you skated out of order, the judges' sheets were mixed up?

Mrs Redboots
12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
***Hugs**** Stormy. So sorry you didn't pass. Have another go asap!

mikawendy
12-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Stormy, I'm sorry to hear about the test. You are SO *NOT* a sucky skater. Now the judges on the other hand....

BTW, as rotten as it is to get stuck at work late, I'm glad you didn't try and venture out in the weather.

jazzpants
12-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Terri C: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif (But I won't hear much 'til after about late afternoon my time...)

Doubletoe: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/42.gif (I won't hear much from her 'til I'm about to go to bed.)

Debbie S
12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
LOL, Jazz! When I saw you posted, I thought you had results! :lol:

Terri C
12-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Okay I have HAD it!!
My coaches and I have tried and done everything on Planet Earth to get me to pass this damn test!!
As late as yesterday afternoon, I did three,straight sits in a row for Primary Coach. I was fine and determined to pass.

Warmup was okay, except for a fall on the sitspin.

So when I took the ice and my music started, why did my backscratch turn into a two foot spin?
Then went for a loop that didn't jump?
Toeloop was fine, but sitspin was nada.
Need I say more?

jazzpants
12-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Terri: I'm online on IM right now with you, but I just want to say that I'm sorry to hear about this turn of events.

I swear, there's something "mental" going on with this particular test. :frus: Since you have said in the past that you can do these elements when you're not testing.... something tells me something else is going on and you may need to have something "mentally tricky" done to try to get you to pass your Bronze FS test. (Like have you tested but you're not aware that you'rebeing tested or something like that, KWIM???)

Judges? Can something like that be done??? I think the stress of testing is getting to her. I KNOW she can do these elements!!!

LOL, Jazz! When I saw you posted, I thought you had results! :lol:Sadly not the results I want to post. :cry:

Isk8NYC
12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Awww, Terri. I have no words other than to offer sympathy.

I'm so sorry about the retest.

Debbie S
12-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm so sorry, Terri! I was crossing my fingers that you'd pass. :( Maybe testing at another rink might help? You know, plenty of people have difficulty with certain FS tests (well, and MIF tests, too) - a teenager (actually, I think she's either 19 or 20) that I sometimes skate with had to take her Intermediate FS about 5 or 6 times, at least (she could do the elements fine in practice, it was all mental)....and she finally passed last month. I know you'll pass this test eventually! :)

(Like have you tested but you're not aware that you'rebeing tested or something like that, KWIM???)That worked for me with Bronze MIF. At the last minute (well, a week and a half before), the test chair at my club organized a 1-judge (so only Pre-Prelim/Prelim/Pre-Bronze/Bronze tests allowed) test session on an early evening FS session that was lightly attended (I think there ended up being about 10 skaters on the ice, some of whom were testing, and a few coaches). We got on the ice at the beginning of the session just like regular practice, and the test chair scheduled 6 min or so of warm-up time before the tests started, but we could really warm up until it was our turn - I think my test was 4th out of 5 total (6 scheduled but 1 girl scratched at the last min due to family emergency).

A couple of times, I had some traffic issues, and there was a near collision (but all were going slowly) during a Pre-Prelim MIF waltz 8, but I think the setting helped me calm down and not get that leg-shaking that I had the 2nd time I tested (when I should have passed but blew it). So the 3rd time proved to be the charm for me! I wish I could have that same setup for Silver MIF, but USFSA rules only allow tests on FS sessions for single-panel-eligible tests.

blackmanskating
12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
I wish I had good news to share, but I do not. Yup...the dreaded retry. And honestly, I am not sure why. I skated a good program. Completed every element, jumps secure with good landings, made SURE every spin was at least 4 revs each position, smiled, the whole bit. And I failed by all 3 judges. Slammed. I've never heard comments in my entire skating career(for lack of a better term) like I did today. Need stronger jumps. Weak. SLOW spins, slow footwork. The ONLY positive comment I got from any of them was nice spirals. And I thought the spirals were a weaker part since I haven't been stretching lately. I truly don't understand. Every element was completed and I KNOW they were passing standard. And I didn't have to reskate anything, so I thought I was good. I can critique myself objectively, and where as there were parts of the program that could have been better, overall, it wasn't a retry program, no way, no how. I mean, I passed my Juv free in August, and since that was judged on Standard track, if I can pass Juvenile, I should be able to pass Gold, judged on an Adult standard.

And I had a glitch with my music, it wouldn't play on their CD player, so as I ran to get my backup, they let another lady who was also taking Gold free skate. I saw her whole program, and it was no weaker or stronger than mine. She didn't complete her whole combo spin and she two footed her axel. They had her reskate the axel and she landed it roughly, and then didn't even complete the back sit on her camel, sit-backsit combo. She got one rev before she fell out of it. And I heard the judge say "We'll take it!" to her spin. And she passed! BUT, she was from the club we were testing at, and all the judges were from that club, too.

To make it all WORSE, I had to go back to work right after the test at the start of a blizzard and ended up stranded at work until 10 PM. I JUST got home and showered.

So I am sending as many positive vibes as I can to the others taking tests tomorrow. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

I know what you mean Stormy!!! I just failed my Bronze Moves a week ago!! I got nervous and fell on a stupid back crossover. Talk about silly. One judge passed me above the passing average while the other 2 judges failed me by .1 Unbelievable!!! It just left a bad taste in my mouth. But I'm bouncing back and I'm testing again in January and I'm going to knock out both Bronze Moves and Free. I'm not even going to go to Nats this year because I didn't have the time or money to test like I wanted to. :giveup: So don't let this get you down Stormy. Keep your head up and your boots laced. :mrgreen:

BlackManSkating

doubletoe
12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Humble pie: It's not just for breakfast anymore (but it's what *I* had this morning!)

Okay I have HAD it!!
My coaches and I have tried and done everything on Planet Earth to get me to pass this damn test!!
As late as yesterday afternoon, I did three,straight sits in a row for Primary Coach. I was fine and determined to pass.

Warmup was okay, except for a fall on the sitspin.

So when I took the ice and my music started, why did my backscratch turn into a two foot spin?
Then went for a loop that didn't jump?
Toeloop was fine, but sitspin was nada.
Need I say more?

Terri, I hear ya! As of today, I now have 3 re-skates under my belt for the Intermediate MIF test, but I have decided to just keep throwing myself at this test until I pass it, even if it's by sheerly irritating the Skating Gods out of their minds. I have decided to re-write this story as a comedy instead of a tragedy and . . . WTF, ya know?

Stormy, I could not possibly put my feelings any better than Vesperholly has. ((((HUG)))):

You DEFINITELY should go NQ Gold this year. You are absolutely competitive in that level, and I think it'd be a great way to keep challenging yourself and test the waters for Championship next year. You are NOT a sucky skater!!! Juvenile FS? :bow: Gold MIF? :bow:

Skating can be so unfair. Sometimes you pass/win when you shouldn't have, sometimes you fail/lose when you shouldn't have. Don't let the b@stards get you down! :evil: (((Stormy)))

Anyway, here's the summary of my test this morning: I felt that everything was pretty much fine except for the clockwise back power 3's, which were shaky and off balance due to some weird thing I keep doing wrong (no surprise there). But I got a re-skate on them, meaning that was really the deciding factor as to whether or not I'd pass, so that was a good sign.

Unfortunately, the first set of CW back power 3's on the re-skate was off-balance again, so even though the second set was solid, only one judge passed my test. It also didn't help that they ran this test session in reverse order (which they apparently did because the gold judge had to leave early). So my judges saw nothing but Senior, Junior and Novice tests right before mine and the last test before mine was a nicely skated Novice MIF test. My husband said that as I was waiting to take the ice, he heard one of the judges saying, "Wow, now I know what moves in the field are really supposed to look like." So I'm guessing that probably didn't help me either. I am trying to find consolation in the fact that all 3 judges loved my power circles (I got passing or higher from all of them on both the forward and backward ones), but I had actually been counting on those few extra tenths of a point already. . .

I want to throw myself at this test again next month, but I'm supposed to be switching to the new boots I've got sitting at home in a box right now, so if I do that, I'll be breaking in my new boots at the same time. Oh, well. I guess it's better than having to break them in right before Sectionals.:roll:

jazzpants
12-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Humble pie: It's not just for breakfast anymore (but it's what *I* had this morning!)(((doubletoe))) I'm so sorry about it!!! This is a BAD weekend for testing, huh? :(

I want to throw myself at this test again next month, but I'm supposed to be switching to the new boots I've got sitting at home in a box right now, so if I do that, I'll be breaking in my new boots at the same time. Oh, well. I guess it's better than having to break them in right before Sectionals.:roll:You never know...maybe the new boots would help you on your back power 3's CW issues even!!! (Hey! When I switched over to my custom Harlicks, it helped me on my forward power 3's.) :P

Do you have some sort of deadline to get those Int. Moves done? Or just want to get it out of the way so you can concentrate on Sectionals and Nationals? I would keep testing 'til you pass... you're SOOOO close!!! Just keep at that one move...

doubletoe
12-14-2007, 04:31 PM
(((doubletoe))) I'm so sorry about it!!! This is a BAD weekend for testing, huh? :(

You never know...maybe the new boots would help you on your back power 3's CW issues even!!! (Hey! When I switched over to my custom Harlicks, it helped me on my forward power 3's.) :P

Do you have some sort of deadline to get those Int. Moves done? Or just want to get it out of the way so you can concentrate on Sectionals and Nationals? I would keep testing 'til you pass... you're SOOOO close!!! Just keep at that one move...

Well, if anything, new boots will actually make it harder to get the good ankle bend I need on those, but the boots have a notch in the lace area, so it might not be too bad! And no, THANK GOD I don't have a time limit on this test (like all the tests I had to pass just before the Sectionals/AN deadlines in previous years!), but I really need to switch my focus back to freestyle starting January in preparation for Sectionals.

badaxel
12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Stormy, TerriC, and DoubleToe:

I'm so sorry to hear what happened! I'm shocked to hear about all three! I thought for sure all of you would pass!!!!!
Stormy- your axel, and all your elements are gorgeous, and you could kick my butt any day on the ice! You should show those judges your awesome skate at AN last year, which I frequently watch for inspiration!
TerriC- I don't know you, but from what you've posted, I'm sure you can pass this test. It's so frustrating, especially when it's a mental thing, but don't give up!
DoubleToe- I saw you skate at AN, and I'm shocked because I just assumed that you were already working on, like Junior or Senior MIF, based on your skating. I hope you pass this test soon, because I'm sure you'll wow the judges with your Novice spirals!!!

Hugs to everyone!

cecealias
12-14-2007, 05:49 PM

Stormy,

First, you are NOT a sucky skater. Anyone who reaches this level isn't, and doesn't deserve to be told that by anyone, friend, foe or not.

Second, and more importantly Are you much younger than the skater that passed? There is such a thing as age discrimination (IMHO and experience) they expect more from a younger skater than an older one. I've also seen tests where they just let an older skater just pass for the sake of passing, even if its below standard.

Third, you have passed the standard track test, which IMHO is a much higher standard than the Adult, so forget about it and do it again. Maybe the club just needs extra money!! LOL.

Fourth, there is always rink politics. If the other skater has some influence or is a club official etc etc. Judges aren't perfect and always fair. I have seen tests with axels 1/2 underrotated and judges have turned a blind eye and passed it. Totally wrong but we unfortunately don't have control over the process!!

doubletoe
12-14-2007, 05:54 PM

I'm so sorry to hear what happened! I'm shocked to hear about all three! I thought for sure all of you would pass!!!!!
Stormy- your axel, and all your elements are gorgeous, and you could kick my butt any day on the ice! You should show those judges your awesome skate at AN last year, which I frequently watch for inspiration!
TerriC- I don't know you, but from what you've posted, I'm sure you can pass this test. It's so frustrating, especially when it's a mental thing, but don't give up!
DoubleToe- I saw you skate at AN, and I'm shocked because I just assumed that you were already working on, like Junior or Senior MIF, based on your skating. I hope you pass this test soon, because I'm sure you'll wow the judges with your Novice spirals!!!

Hugs to everyone!

Wow, you know just what to say! That warmed my heart and really made my day. :)

Mrs Redboots
12-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Commiserations and hugs to those who didn't make it - I do so know the feeling!

You know what they say - keep on truckin' - you can do it! And one of these days you will do it.

Isk8NYC
12-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow, you know just what to say! That warmed my heart and really made my day. :)
Badaxel is just as kind and nice in person.

You all have my sympathies. I think that when you do pass these tests, it will be a sweeter victory because of the trials that you've gone through. I'm glad to hear that none of you are giving up and that you're watching the calendar tick down to your next chance to pass these tests. In fact, you're so inspiring, I'm planning to sign up for a test or two in February, depending on my kids' readiness! We'll make it a family pass/fail session. lol

Remember that you have supporters around the world on this board, rooting for you to pass. That goes for Stacyf419, too - good luck on Monday!

If anyone wants a countdown clock, you can make one at www.familylobby.com (http://www.familylobby.com).

Stormy
12-15-2007, 07:26 AM

Hugs to everyone!

You and vesperholly are awesome...you guys totally made me feel better!

The problem(s) with testing again before AN is that like I said, there's a 4 day window, and the only test sessions in New England (and yes, I looked at pretty much every club) is Colonial, where I just failed, and the SC of Boston, and SCOB is a hard club to pass at as well. So there's really no lesser of two evils. Plus, I'll be away for a whole week before the test in Dallas at my sales meeting for work, and I have a synchro competition the weekend I leave for the meeting, so I'll have a good week and a half at least of no practice before the test. Not so much good! And yes, the reason I was testing Gold was to be able to do Championship, even if it was a long shot to make ANs in Champ., I wanted to try.

To answer a few of the questions, I think I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 years younger than the other skater, but I look pretty young to begin with. I thought too at first the judges may have mixed the test papers up, but they used my name on the sheets and referred to elements she didn't have, like my flying camel.

I do think rink politics may have come into play, and we were testing right after the Juvenile and Intermediate FS kids. Of course I am going to look slower next to jumping beans who've competed at Regionals!

Well, it is what it is... but we all WILL pass these tests!!! We won't :giveup:

Terri C
12-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I swear, there's something "mental" going on with this particular test. :frus: Since you have said in the past that you can do these elements when you're not testing.... something tells me something else is going on and you may need to have something "mentally tricky" done to try to get you to pass your Bronze FS test. (Like have you tested but you're not aware that you'rebeing tested or something like that, KWIM???)
Judges? Can something like that be done??? I think the stress of testing is getting to her. I KNOW she can do these elements!!!

Jazzpants is right!!
This morning I realized that this week leading up to the test had me filled with anxiety- I've lost 5 pounds over the ordeal.
I cannot test under these conditions again. Any ideas out there?

techskater
12-15-2007, 08:59 AM
I do think rink politics may have come into play, and we were testing right after the Juvenile and Intermediate FS kids. Of course I am going to look slower next to jumping beans who've competed at Regionals!

Can you stop in Chicago on your way back east to test from Dallas? Skokie Valley FSC is having an all-adult test session on 1/11

stacyf419
12-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm reading everyone's posts and just feeling both sympathy for those of you who didn't pass and gratitude for the kind thoughts coming from the fellow posters. It's helping me calm down - I've been having trouble sleeping and I'm so worried. Although practice today went well, I'm feeling very nauseous about Monday morning. However, as my husband just put it, "It's not a matter of IF you pass, honey, it's WHEN." And wow, that really just makes sense. I'll try to keep it in perspective - there's always another chance, no matter how long it takes me.
I am so thankful for everyone's good wishes, and I will post my recap at lunchtime on Monday - I'm scheduled from 10-10:30 am.

sk8rxforxlife
12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
i am working on my novice moves and they are hard. I didn't work on them all the time before regionals though. I need to get back in the routine of working on them.

Hannahclear
12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry to all those who didn't get the result they worked so hard for and wanted.

I can totally relate. I tested Silver Moves last month and failed.

Talking about it with my coach afterwards, he said some things that really made sense. It's not enough to be at test level when you take the test. Nerves are going to take their toll, unless one is unflappable.

When I tested Silver Moves, I had probably worked enough to be just ready to pass. It wasn't a slam dunk, but I felt that I had a good chance. My 8 step was sketchy, but I felt the rest was pretty good.

During the test, I fell on one set of 3 turns and stepped out of another. Also, other elements like the 8 step and even power pulls were judged below passing. Naturally, I was counting on the 3 turns as a "solid" element. But my legs were like jelly and it was like I couldn't do back 3s anymore.

I won't be testing again until I'm over the bar. Not at the bar, but way over the bar.

Of course, I'm sure that advice doesn't apply to everyone here. Sometimes freaky stuff happens! And I'm especially sympathetic to those who want to test into a certain event. :(

Debbie S
12-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I can totally relate. I tested Silver Moves last month and failed.

Talking about it with my coach afterwards, he said some things that really made sense. It's not enough to be at test level when you take the test. Nerves are going to take their toll, unless one is unflappable. Yeah, I tried Silver MIF in August and wasn't even close. For me, testing 'for an event' didn't apply b/c I have no intention of ever competing in Silver FS (unless something amazing happens to my FS skills) so I kept reminding myself that I didn't need to pass in order to compete, that it was just an extra goal, that I could take as much time as I needed to pass, that everyone has to take the test multiple times (lol) so I might as well start my count now ;) , etc. I almost wonder if maybe it made me too relaxed, I don't know.

But I definitely didn't skate at the level that I was capable of, added to the fact that some of the moves were inconsistent to begin with, and it all added up to a bad skate (well, I passed the spirals, above the passing avg, so I guess not all was lost). Part of the problem was that I'd fallen on the back cross strokes in the FS session I skated before the test, and I had never fallen on those, so I was kind of shaken, at least on that move (and it sucked when I tested, although 1 judge was feeling generous and passed it).

I'm going to be retrying soon, although some elements are still hit-or-miss. But I get my test fees waived at my home club b/c I volunteered at the summer comp they put on, so it won't really cost me anything (well, OK, I do have to pay my coach) if I get another retry, so I figure I might as well go for it. The moves have all improved, although the 8-step, back cross strokes, and BI 3's are still questionable. And I'm likely to face a tougher judging panel this time around. I'm approaching it with the mindset that I'm testing to see how close I am to passing, and if I happen to pass, then great (and I can stop working on that blasted 8-step!).

doubletoe
12-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Although practice today went well, I'm feeling very nauseous about Monday morning. However, as my husband just put it, "It's not a matter of IF you pass, honey, it's WHEN."

SMART husband! It's so true. You have the power to pass that test. Nothing can stop you. If it doesn't happen this time, it will happen next time, or whenever, but you WILL do it. The only way to "fail" is to quit! Go for it, and whether you pass it this time or not, try to value the process and the learning experience (yeah, I know, :roll:). Go into it with zero attachment and zero fear and just do your best.

Jazzpants is right!!
This morning I realized that this week leading up to the test had me filled with anxiety- I've lost 5 pounds over the ordeal.
I cannot test under these conditions again. Any ideas out there?

I'm finding that it's really helping for me to redefine testing "success". Now, instead of seeing it as a pass or fail, black or white result, I consider my test a success if I made progress since the last test. This time I got a retry and one judge passed me. There were also two or three criticisms that I got last time that I didn't get this time because I had fixed them. So I'm clearly heading the right direction. "Success"

Hannahclear
12-15-2007, 10:47 AM
if I happen to pass, then great (and I can stop working on that blasted 8-step!).

When I do pass Silver Moves, that will be the last time I EVER do that 8 step mohawk. I HATE that thing.

:lol:

jazzpants
12-15-2007, 10:57 AM
When I do pass Silver Moves, that will be the last time I EVER do that 8 step mohawk. I HATE that thing.

:lol:
That nasty FO mohawk is bad enough for me... :giveup: (I guess I'll have to tell myself that it's like my FI mohawks for the 5 step mohawks... If I could get THOSE, I can get these... I hope.... :P )

I agree with doubletoe's assessments on what is considered "Success" and "Failure." I had the same thing with my Bronze Moves tests where my first two retries were devestating...until 1) I saw that I had improvements from the last time I took it and 2) how close I was to passing on practically ALL the moves.

Hannahclear is right on one point... it's not good enough to just practice to passing standard. God knows I've done that in Bronze Moves and how close I was to a THIRD retry on them. You have to almost skate it 'til it's a "Eat your heart out" type of scenario.

However, after reading Terri's posts on her lessons and practice notes, knowing her test history (including bad testing experiences) and now reading what seems to be a "total meltdown" on her part. I think she's facing a fear of testing here b/c of those bad testing experience and putting way too much energy into this test session instead of enjoying the process of skating her program. And from my own experience, I could tell you that the times I was constantly talking about when I'm taking the test and all put WAAAAY too much anxiety on my part going into the test. There were two good thing about my taking the Bronze FS test: 1) I didn't plan on testing it 'til very last minute... like right before the deadline. Primary coach wanted me to test it and I was thinking "no way you're gonna ruin my b-day!!!" (Turns out I had the best b-day. No guts, no glory I guess... :P ) and 2) I kept quiet about it b/c I didn't want to make it a big deal to myself or anyone else. It was just a "try and see!" Nothing serious! (Maybe try that mental mode and see what happens, Terri. Think "I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is just to try and see if I could do it.") 3) I was also thinking of what I was thinking when I do my program for Sectionals and Skate SF -- channeling primary coach... in his Kwan outfit!!! :twisted: :lol: (Humor works better on me!!!)

Of course, Terri will have to find her own route to doing her program CALMLY... I was lucky to have found mine.

Terri C
12-15-2007, 11:06 AM
My coaches have done something sneaky with the 8 step for me- they put it in my program. Not that I can ever get to do it- we have one coach who is always hogging that corner where I do it in program and refuses to move, even when my music is on!! :evil:

Sessy
12-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm finding that it's really helping for me to redefine testing "success". Now, instead of seeing it as a pass or fail, black or white result, I consider my test a success if I made progress since the last test. This time I got a retry and one judge passed me. There were also two or three criticisms that I got last time that I didn't get this time because I had fixed them. So I'm clearly heading the right direction. "Success"

Wow, that IS very wise!

aussieskater
12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
((Hugs)) to those who missed their test this time.

Terri, something which might help you trick your mind into relaxing could be to book into 2 test dates for the same level at once, one say 2 months after the other. Then your mind might regard the first one as "practice" for the second, and relax enough to let you pass it! In the alternative, the mind might still relax since it knows it has the "insurance" of having the second test date booked already. I'm not sure whether you're allowed to do that, or if it's very costly.

You will get this &%$@# test.

Debbie S
12-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm finding that it's really helping for me to redefine testing "success". Now, instead of seeing it as a pass or fail, black or white result, I consider my test a success if I made progress since the last test. That's the attitude I'm adopting for my next Silver MIF test. If I can pass most of the moves and get better comments than I did last time, then I'll know I'm succeeding, even if I haven't succeeded in passing the test yet.

When I tested Bronze MIF for the second time (and got my 2nd retry), I was totally ready to pass and my legs just froze (literally and figuratively) during my power 3's and 5-step. I was really mad at myself afterward and my coach (who probably wanted to strangle me - just kidding) said that I would have to just get really mad (and get sick of working on the same moves) and go out for my next attempt vowing to myself that I was going to skate a passing test. The 3rd (and successful) time I tested, my mindset was "OK, I can do this, I'm going to prove it to this judge and then NEVER have to do these moves again" and it worked (well, I passed ;) ).

And a footnote to my 2nd Bronze MIF test: 1 judge did pass me (shockingly enough), which had the effect of both making me even madder at myself (hey, if a judge was going to pass that, then imagine what the other 2 judges would have done if I'd actually skated well) and giving me the encouragement that I was capable of someday passing the test. That was in March of '06. I passed that May. Fast forward to November (06) and the judge who passed me was judging at a test session at my then-home club and I was helping out with the session.

I had a chance to chat briefly with the judge as she was headed to lunch break and mentioned that she'd judged me back in March at such-and-such rink and she asked "Did I pass you?" to which I responded "Yes" and she said "Oh good!" LOL! I then said that unfortunately, she was the only one of the three that did, but that her passing me showed me that I had the ability to pass and gave me confidence for my next attempt, which I did pass, and that I hadn't skated as well as I was capable of the day she'd judged me. She thought for a minute and said "Oh, you know, I think I remember that test....yes, I remember thinking that the problems seemed to be due to nerves." I told my coach about the conversation and she reminded me of what she and other coaches always say - judges want to pass tests.

Hannahclear
12-15-2007, 05:03 PM
That's definitely a good mental strategy. I hate wasting my money, so I tend to get fixated on that issue. I'm thinking early next summer for my next attempt. I won't test unless I feel I'm over the bar, but I will still try to use this thought.

Isk8NYC
12-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I cannot test under these conditions again. Any ideas out there?I think you should take the next test at a Club where no one knows you and you have no Club responsibilities. It's more expensive, but you might relax a bit and enjoy yourself. Just MHO since the current setting just isn't working for you, even if it is comfortable and friendly. (Maybe you can borrow Mrs. Redboots' flask for a nip before the test? j/k) My coaches have done something sneaky with the 8 step for me- they put it in my program. Not that I can ever get to do it- we have one coach who is always hogging that corner where I do it in program and refuses to move, even when my music is on!! :evil:The ISI required footwork sequences are the only reason I can do brackets or choctaws, lol. Everyone had to do the same footwork. (Not that I do them well.)

As for the coach - before your music starts, either you or your coach can explain that you really need to work on the footwork in that spot and could they please vacate for a few minutes? You'd do it for others, wouldn't you? It's a reasonable request. (Her poor students, confined to one spot on the ice.)

There were also two or three criticisms that I got last time that I didn't get this time because I had fixed them. So I'm clearly heading the right direction.That's a good point; judges only have a few minutes to write down comments, so they don't always get a chance to write ALL the things they want to see changed before a retest. That's why a chat (if possible) is so invaluable.

You might also want to video the test session to review later with a judge or coach, just to jog their memory.

Since this is the Upcoming Tests and Test Results thread, I suggest that newbies check out our older "test experience" threads and go to the rink to WATCH a test session before it's your turn. It's an eye-opening experience to watch what unfolds and really should be part of your preparation.

vesperholly
12-15-2007, 07:04 PM
It's not enough to be at test level when you take the test. Nerves are going to take their toll, unless one is unflappable.
Exactly. I was told many years ago that you should be 10% over passing on a "normal" day, because you'll lose that 10% to nerves on test day.

Although practice today went well, I'm feeling very nauseous about Monday morning. However, as my husband just put it, "It's not a matter of IF you pass, honey, it's WHEN."

He's totally right. The last moves test I passed on the first try was Pre-Juvenile. I failed Juv once, Intermediate twice, Novice twice, and Junior once. I have a slightly better track record with dance, although I failed my Foxtrot three times. Failing sucks, but so what! The important thing is that you put it out there, you tried, and you can test again. If you don't test, you have a zero percent chance of success.

Terri C
12-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I think you should take the next test at a Club where no one knows you and you have no Club responsibilities. It's more expensive, but you might relax a bit and enjoy yourself. Just MHO since the current setting just isn't working for you, even if it is comfortable and friendly. (Maybe you can borrow Mrs. Redboots' flask for a nip before the test? j/k)

As for the coach - before your music starts, either you or your coach can explain that you really need to work on the footwork in that spot and could they please vacate for a few minutes? You'd do it for others, wouldn't you? It's a reasonable request. (Her poor students, confined to one spot on the ice.)

Good idea on taking the test somewhere else, but I'd have to travel far for this. The areas in driving distance (DC area and NC) I know people!!

It was a total shame for me and the lady who tested and got a retry on Bronze moves that the concession stand was not open- our concession stand sells beer!! :halo: :yum: Secondary Coach had said a couple of weeks ago that I would need a shot of whiskey before skating!

As for the coach who hoards the corner- she does not move for anyone. :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
How about testing at the Richmond FSC? Their rink is probably only 1.5 hours from you, and I have heard that they are adult-friendly.

Terri C
12-15-2007, 07:34 PM
How about testing at the Richmond FSC? Their rink is probably only 1.5 hours from you, and I have heard that they are adult-friendly.

That is a thought- I did pass my Pre Bronze free there on the third try back in 1998! But I need to get back on the ice and see what my coaches have to say, the earliest which of will be Tuesday.

jazzpants
12-15-2007, 07:45 PM
It was a total shame for me and the lady who tested and got a retry on Bronze moves that the concession stand was not open- our concession stand sells beer!! :halo: :yum: Secondary Coach had said a couple of weeks ago that I would need a shot of whiskey before skating!Next time, get yourself and secondary coach 3 of bottles of your favorite beer (or even better, vodka nips....) Give them to your secondary coach. If you retry, you get one, secondary coach gets one and primary coach gets the third. If you pass, you get all three bottles back and one of your coaches is the designated driver to take you home! :twisted: :lol:

doubletoe
12-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Okay, I've just found out there's another test session on January 23 at the same rink where I just tested. I'm signing up! Their ice is never too hard to hold an edge, the test session feels more relaxed than the ones at my home rink, and the big Olympic sized ice surface came in really handy the other day when I DIDN'T run into the boards on my back power 3's (although I came awfully close to the wall!), LOL! I'm seeing each test session as a judges' critique in lieu of a lesson that day, since the cost isn't that different.

kateskate
12-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Humble pie: It's not just for breakfast anymore (but it's what *I* had this morning!)

I'm so sorry to hear about your test. Keep trying - you will get it!!!!!

Debbie S
12-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Okay, I've just found out there's another test session on January 23 at the same rink where I just tested. I'm signing up! Go for it, doubletoe! After my 2nd Bronze MIF test, my coach said (in addition to what I've already posted) that I should start testing as often as allowed until I passed - the more experience with testing, the less nervous I'd get.

Terri, what about Charlottesville?

Thin-Ice
12-17-2007, 03:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about all the "invitations to retry" tests. Maybe this will help (maybe not, but it's worth a try).

One of my rinkmates took her Gold Moves test TEN times in 13 months. She didn't even really want the test.. but she also skates pairs and her pairs partner wanted to compete at Championship level.. so she needed to pass her Gold Moves so they could take the Gold Pairs test. And she reallllllly wants to keep skating pairs with him for personal reasons.

She found SO many ways to not test well. She would come in all fired up and then lose energy during the warm-up. She would skate well, then fall on the last two elements. She would skate all the elements correctly but with no energy, which meant she looked like she had no power. She would do all the hard elements well, but then put her foot down several times on the easy ones. Trust me, if there was a way to not pass this test, she did it. After about the 6th test, she and I were working on moves together (me on Silver, her on Gold) and she said if she failed this next time, she was not sure what she would do. I told her it would be a real waste for her to have put in this much time, energy, money and emotion if she needed 8 tries to pass the test, and she stopped at 6 or 7, which she laughed at and then said "I'm stubborn, I'm better than this test.. and I'm just going to keep going until I get it right, as long as I see some progress one some part of the test." That's when I knew she would eventually pass the test, no matter how long it took.

On the next test, she skated well, but it was a tough panel. One judge passed her, but the other two had her way down. She managed to hold it together until we were the only ones left (I had also been invited to retry, so we were commiserating) then she burst into tears. She said "I KNOW I can do these elements, they just disappear when I see judges looking at me". And she could do the elements, even run the entire test (not beautifully, but certainly at the passing level). She finally decided she wouldn't take the test again until she was 20% above what she and her coach considered passing, because they thought she lost about 20% of her ability on tests. She passed by one judge, the other two were closer to passing, but she still had to retest. Her 8th test was awful, even she knew it. Her 9th test should have passed and didn't. On her 10th test, she just decided she was going to treat it as a lesson from "new coaches" but she couldn't get feedback until she was done. There were a couple of new obstacles... first of all, I was one of the judges and she knew I am tougher on people I skate with than I am on people I don't know, so there's no chance someone will charge "favoritism". Then, one of the judges didn't have a test sheet for her. Then we noticed the test sheet was the old one, and didn't have the slide chasses on it. The other two judges had never seen a Gold Moves test before, so I told them I would talk them through the correct order and announce each of the elements.

I told the skater to go skate around to stay warm while we made another copy of the sheet for the judge who was missing the form. That gave her another chance to work out any of the elements she wanted to WHILE the judges were watching. She found all of this kind of amusing. She decided SHE would announce which element she was doing next... which meant she took a deep breath before bellowing out the element. And, she skated the same way she did in practice. She did put her foot down a little early after skating the final double-3 turn, but I think I was the only judge who saw that, since the other two were writing their comments. I thought the test was passing without a reskate on that, since it had good brackets, good power -- especially on the back "cinnamon rolls/snails" and all the turns were properly placed. When she finished, I asked the other judges if they needed to see anything again, and both said "no".

When she went to the lobby, she was convinced since there was no reskate on the double-3s (with the foot down earlier than she had planned), that she had failed. Her coach said "You never know, they may have passed it without a reskate". A couple minutes later the test chair handed her the papers and said "Congratulations" and her instant response was "these must belong to someone else". The test chair said, "No, they have your name on them". Two judges passed her, the other judge had her down from passing by just .2 -- which is the HIGHEST score she'd ever received from any judge who failed her during her long run of "retry" tests.

So sometimes it IS a matter of determination and just keeping after it. The other judges did NOT know this was the 10th time she had taken that test, but I did tell them afterwards when I knew she had passed.

And Terri, since it's the Bronze FS test that is your hurdle there are a couple of things you could do besides taking that test again at the same rink or during an official test session. You could go to another rink.. or if you or your coach or test chair know of any judges willing to come in some other time, you could do it at the end of a session, say after a scheduled lesson. That might take off some of the pressure. Of course, then you have just one person deciding your test result, but it might be more relaxed for you. Since it's only a 1:40 program, maybe the rink manager would let the zamboni do the ice cut 2:00 minutes later than scheduled, so you could just go out put on your music and skate your program at the end of the session? You would certainly be warmed up, and you might have a built-in support system with the other skaters who know you.

A coach at one of the rinks where I skate has me come in and test her Pre-Pre Moves and FS kids and adults this way. She says it's less scary for them because they've just had a really long warm-up and have just worked on everything on their tests. Other people on this board say you can do everything on the test.. so you just need to prove to yourself you can do it UNDER TEST CONDITIONS. So, the other possibility is you could ask a judge to come in and give you a critique. That way a judge is looking at you and you're practicing THAT part of the test (which there really is no other way to simulate) but without really having to worry about the outcome... and you'll get a good critique too. I don't know what the etiquette is in your area, but most judges I know are happy to do this, as long as the timing works out. One very nice skate Mom asked me how much I charged for that (8O) and I had to explain to her it was just part of being a judge, helping the skaters learn what to expect for tests. A year or so later when I ended up actually judging one of her daughter's tests (PreJuve Moves) she said it made it easier for her daughter to take the test knowing "at least one of the judges liked her". I asked why the girl thought that and she said "It's because you've talked to her and smiled". So maybe that's all you really need.. someone who you think isn't "judging" you, but is more encouraging and watching your progress.

Good luck to ALL our testers!

Terri C
12-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Thin Ice,
Great idea, but where I live we have very few judges and have to bring judges in from out of town for test sessions.

stacyf419
12-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone-
I passed both pre-bronze moves and freestyle today!!! I'm incredibly happy, relieved and TIRED. The judges were so friendly and had such nice comments - I got a 'very nice' on my moves overall and an 'excellent' on freestyle. Wheee!!!
Thanks to all here for the great advice and encouragement - boy, it really helped. On to bronze......after I perfect those inside/outside 3's, that is!!!

Isk8NYC
12-17-2007, 12:51 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Mrs Redboots
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi everyone-
I passed both pre-bronze moves and freestyle today!!! I'm incredibly happy, relieved and TIRED. The judges were so friendly and had such nice comments - I got a 'very nice' on my moves overall and an 'excellent' on freestyle. Wheee!!!
Thanks to all here for the great advice and encouragement - boy, it really helped. On to bronze......after I perfect those inside/outside 3's, that is!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Sessy
12-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about all the "invitations to retry" tests. Maybe this will help (maybe not, but it's worth a try).

One of my rinkmates took her Gold Moves test TEN times in 13 months. -snip-

:o 8O :o
That's eh, one way to do it...

jenlyon60
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Thin Ice,
Great idea, but where I live we have very few judges and have to bring judges in from out of town for test sessions.

Why not ask to see if you can have a critique during a time when there will be judges in your area for other test sessions/competitions.

The worse that can happen is someone says no. If they say yes, then you get the chance to get a critique.

looplover
12-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh my...congrats to StacyF ... sorry to all those who have to retry! Terri C I was sure this one would be the one. I wonder if it would make a difference if that 8 step was taken out of your program? Since it's a silver move anyway?

Terri C
12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Terri C I was sure this one would be the one. I wonder if it would make a difference if that 8 step was taken out of your program? Since it's a silver move anyway?

It would not make a difference at all, since the glaring omitted elements , backscratch, loop and sit spin were in the first half of the program.
I've realized that I have a fear of testing, at least on this particular test, that's all. How I will deal with that I have yet to discuss with my coaches and figure out.

jazzpants
12-17-2007, 06:52 PM
:o 8O :o
That's eh, one way to do it...If it's who I think it is... given the "personal reasons" for wanting to skate with her pairs partner and the fact that they have a deadline to meet to compete, she really didn't have much of a choice. (Said pairs are both very relieved about this is done and over with and can concentrate their efforts on their upcoming competition now.)

Sessy
12-18-2007, 03:17 AM
No no, don't misunderstand me. I applaud her, I *really* like that sort of perseverance in people.
Just not wishing that sort of thing upon anybody..

vesperholly
12-18-2007, 03:37 AM
No no, don't misunderstand me. I applaud her, I *really* like that sort of perseverance in people.
Just not wishing that sort of thing upon anybody..
10 times in 13 months ... phew. When I failed tests in the past, I've always taken several months before I try again unless it was a *complete* fluke thing. Usually I NEED the time to process what I need to improve and actually improve it. It must be mentally exhausting to prepare for a test, fail it, deal with the failure, then get yourself ready immediately for the next test session. And over a whole year of that? :giveup: Thank goodness she finally did pass.

doubletoe
12-18-2007, 12:32 PM
10 times in 13 months ... phew. When I failed tests in the past, I've always taken several months before I try again unless it was a *complete* fluke thing. Usually I NEED the time to process what I need to improve and actually improve it. It must be mentally exhausting to prepare for a test, fail it, deal with the failure, then get yourself ready immediately for the next test session. And over a whole year of that? :giveup: Thank goodness she finally did pass.

If you only test once every 6 months to a year, it is nerve-wracking, but if you test every month, it becomes routine and isn't such a big deal anymore. Of course, you don't want to start the testing unless you are already at passing level in practice (at least most of the time) and only have a few little tweaks to make after each test based on the judges' feedback.

I know some people don't want to test often because of the cost, but at $40 per test ($55 if I test at a different rink), that equates to the cost of 1-1/2 or 2 lessons for me. I figure I get at least 2-3 lessons worth of value from the judges' feedback, so I'll actually skip one or two MIF lessons after each test, as well as skipping my freestyle lesson the week of my MIF test. So it pretty much evens out.

jazzpants
12-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Never mind very costly with coach's fees and testing fees and all that. Phew!!! :giveup:

Yeah, I'm with you! I usually would want to wait a few months to do the test again....and I probably would want to ask for a critique before I go out to be sure, as I did with my 3rd try at Bronze Moves. Made all the difference and it did give me the confidence to go out there and do it.

Well, I do know this particular person had test confidence issues. For some people, doing more tests usually helps with the confidence (or at least build up the resistance to being nervous.) I still think that for Terri though she needs to internally resolve her issues with her previous bad test sessions. Maybe if she goes to more test sessions where there's more adults testing (not necessarily to test... just to watch...), she might see that not all test sessions are as bad as she's gone thru and might help her eventually with her confidence. (I know I did that a few times, mainly to cheer a friend on but to also watch how test sessions are run. It really does help me to get some sense on what to work on so I can focus on that.)

Isk8NYC
12-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Never mind very costly with coach's fees and testing fees and all that.The twins will probably be taking Pre-Prel in Feb, so I think I'm going to take Pre-Bronze MITF and Prel MITF at the same time. I want to be at least one Moves test ahead of my freestyle tests, so I don't have to worry about contingency testing.

I had a thought yesterday about getting pre-test evaluations. I wonder if YouTube or another video sharing service could be used in lieu of having the skater and judge/evaluator go to the rink? The skater could have someone record his/her test runthrough, later upload it to a video service, then ask the judges to evaluate it and provide feedback/critique. That could be done by phone, Skype, email or "comments." Obviously, it would have to be pre-arranged and kept "private" so no trolls get in and start messing around.

Actually the Ice Network could probably pull something like this off - their video and editing has been pretty good.

Don't get me wrong - I do NOT mean to take the actual test. Just an informal pre-test evaluation that has no bearing whatsoever on the actual test results.

momsk8er
12-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Speaking of tests, I saw a list of things to watch out for on certain tests somewhere when my daughter was taking prelim for the second time, and that was extremely helpful for her. Do you know of any such thing for the adult tests? Its not just the emphasis factors that are in the rulebook, but something for judges??

thanks

Isk8NYC
12-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, that's in our Reference thread: http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=291300&highlight=US+Figure+Skating+Links#post291300

For adult skating, the USFSA even has video examples online.

momsk8er
12-18-2007, 04:11 PM
thanks! do you know if that has been updated to include the forward 3 turn pattern now on the Adult pre-B test?

Isk8NYC
12-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, they were thorough in effecting that change. That pattern is in the videos and on the judging forms.

jazzpants
12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I had a thought yesterday about getting pre-test evaluations. I wonder if YouTube or another video sharing service could be used in lieu of having the skater and judge/evaluator go to the rink? The skater could have someone record his/her test runthrough, later upload it to a video service, then ask the judges to evaluate it and provide feedback/critique. That could be done by phone, Skype, email or "comments." Obviously, it would have to be pre-arranged and kept "private" so no trolls get in and start messing around.

Actually the Ice Network could probably pull something like this off - their video and editing has been pretty good.

Don't get me wrong - I do NOT mean to take the actual test. Just an informal pre-test evaluation that has no bearing whatsoever on the actual test results.Good idea in conception, but here's something... the judges sometimes like to hear the growl of the edges and stuff and you don't necessarily get that on video, especially if you're in some sort of a crowded FS session with music playing in the background. (Likely the case for me.)

You would have to find a judge willing to do something like that. Wouldn't be a bad idea for Terri... IF she could get someone to videotape her too and I know she doesn't have a video cam... :roll: (Yes, we all want to see how you skate, Terri! I've never seen you skate before!!!) :P :lol:

Isk8NYC
12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
The rip would be an obstacle,esp. on power pulls and such. But, to provide feedback like "foot needs to be higher on spirals" and "toe loop is prerotating" it would suffice.

What does this phrase mean?
All tests are subject to double paneling and Pre-Preliminary is subject to multiple panels

It's on the test registration form.

TreSk8sAZ
12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
What does this phrase mean?
"All tests are subject to double paneling and Pre-Preliminary is subject to multiple panels"
It's on the test registration form.

Double paneling refers to two tests going out at the same time. For exdample, on Prelim, they may have two skaters following each other or starting on opposite ends for the full-rink moves, and put them on two different lines for the line moves. In Pre-Pre, they can usually do three tests at one time, spreading out the lines used for edges and waltz-3, and having them follow each other on the stroking. It's common to see Pre-Pre through Pre-Juv double paneled.

As to confidence on tests, I failed Pre-Juv MITF twice, Juv MITF 3 times (ages 21-23). At the end, I was taking it every 28 days to get over my nerves on testing. The more I did the moves that I was scared of (like the back power 3s on Juv that I had stepped down on more than once), the more comfortable I was until finally I passed. It doesn't work for everyone, but we have tests every month here so it worked out for me. I wouldn't have passed Juv if I hadn't gotten right back onto a second test session after I failed.

Stormy
12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, I've come to a decision. I'm not going to try for Gold again before the AN deadline, so I'll be skating Silver II this year. With having awful choices of clubs to test at, and not being able to practice for over a week before the test just wouldn't leave me confident going into it. I'll really work on the program and test again after AN, and skate Gold at local comps around here. Now I need ANOTHER new Silver program made up, PDQ!

badaxel
12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
...so I'll be skating Silver II this year.

Well, at least you know you won't come in last if you skate Silver II at Sectionals! You know that's my spot!
I hope you do decide to test again soon, I know you could pass that test and rock Gold!

jenlyon60
12-20-2007, 07:03 AM
My club has up to 6 Pre-Prelims going on at one time (and most test sessions we have 2 or 3 groups of Pre-Prelim tests), and we single-panel the Pre-Prelims. Basically the club chair calls the skaters over and tells them who "their" judge is, then has them line up at the end of the rink. Then they do their perimeter stroking (she gives a "go" or "start now" to ensure the skaters have sufficient space between each one). Then they line up and do the perimeter stroking in the other direction. Then she has them line up on the line at the end of the rink, spread out a bit and they do the straight line spirals. Then she sends each skater to "their judge" and the judge conducts the rest of the test. Sometimes there's a space conflict, but usually when the tester starts heading for "their spot" (usually the spot on the ice where their coach has had them practice the element) and someone else is there, the judge will have the skater stop and wait.

My club also double-panels the rest of the MIF tests. For Juv and below, the test chair will run both skaters at the same time (with 2 panels of 3 judges each). For Intermediate, she will have both skaters at the same time for all elements except the slide chasse sequence. For Novice, she will have both going at same time except for the spirals. For Junior/Senior, she will have the skaters alternate skating each element (but still 2 panels of judges).

FWIW, my club administered the most tests in USFS last year (combination dance and MIF/FS) and in many other recent years has either had the most or been one of the top 2 or 3 testing clubs.

Double paneling refers to two tests going out at the same time. For exdample, on Prelim, they may have two skaters following each other or starting on opposite ends for the full-rink moves, and put them on two different lines for the line moves. In Pre-Pre, they can usually do three tests at one time, spreading out the lines used for edges and waltz-3, and having them follow each other on the stroking. It's common to see Pre-Pre through Pre-Juv double paneled.

As to confidence on tests, I failed Pre-Juv MITF twice, Juv MITF 3 times (ages 21-23). At the end, I was taking it every 28 days to get over my nerves on testing. The more I did the moves that I was scared of (like the back power 3s on Juv that I had stepped down on more than once), the more comfortable I was until finally I passed. It doesn't work for everyone, but we have tests every month here so it worked out for me. I wouldn't have passed Juv if I hadn't gotten right back onto a second test session after I failed.

Thin-Ice
12-21-2007, 04:19 AM
WOW!!! That's amazing. We have double or triple-paneled Pre-Pres and occassionally Prelim tests. But I've NEVER seen the higher level tests double-paneled. Your skaters must not only be good at the moves they have to do, but also at watching out for other skaters during their tests. VERY impressive!:bow:

jenlyon60
12-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Our MIF/FS test chair is a master at test scheduling. For our Prelim and higher tests that are double paneled, each skater starts at the opposite end of the rink. The test chair announces which skater is at which end ("Jane is at the scoreboard end, Susan is at the warming room end" for example) to make sure that the judges know which skater they're judging (the test schedule also indicates which end each skater will start at, but sometimes kids get confused, or there's the last minute scratch, and our club is large enough that it's almost impossible for the judges to know every skater). Our test chair also announces each element on the MIF tests other than on the last part of the Pre-Pre's. This helps avoid some issues.

During actual execution, the skaters do have to watch out for each other. Normally we don't have avoidance issues, but occasionally one skater will do a move a bit larger than the other skater or start in a slightly different location and there will be "dodging issues". (Juv Back Power 3's is a prime example.)

And even with all this, we still run 7-8 hour MIF/FS test sessions almost every month. (FWIW, from an opportunity perspective, great club to trial judge at, because there's almost always a few high level tests... about the only thing we don't get a lot of is pair tests, and those are always hard for trial judges to find.)

Alternating the moves on the higher tests is useful for both of the testers as well as the judges I think. Gives the skaters a chance to re-focus on the next element, and gives each panel a bit more time to write comments without delaying things overly much.

I think because the skaters who regularly test with our club come up through the test structure having the double paneling, they are used to it.

Thin-Ice
12-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I hope you don't mind my asking -- and you don't have to answer if you're not comfortable doing so -- but what region/state are you in? Valuable to know about the higher-level tests. And once again, very cool that your club does this.8O

Our club has 3-4 hour test sessions every month.. but I can't even imagine a 7 hour test session with double-paneled tests. Obviously your club's test chair is VERY organized and all your skaters are very disciplined to be able to do that. (I'll bet it could be confusing though for skaters who test out of club at your sessions! But that's good for them too... in case they go to big competitions where there are lots of skaters they don't know.. they can get used to the idea at your tests.)

jenlyon60
12-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Washington Figure Skating Club, Washington DC area.

Skittl1321
12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
WOW!!! That's amazing. We have double or triple-paneled Pre-Pres and occassionally Prelim tests. But I've NEVER seen the higher level tests double-paneled. Your skaters must not only be good at the moves they have to do, but also at watching out for other skaters during their tests. VERY impressive!:bow:

One of our rinks coaches did her Gold moves (? Maybe a standard track test?) double paneled. She said she almost lapped the skater who she tested with. That must have been nerve wracking figuring out how to keep your pattern so that you didn't accidentally hit! The other skater did not pass, she thought she would have had a better chance if she hadn't been on the ice with her- but another coach from my rink said that was being generous and it just wasn't a passing test. I didn't get to see this one.

I saw a group of 5 pre-pre skaters test- there were SO many near collisions I vowed not to test moves at that club! They didn't wait for each skater to finish a move before starting the next one. So 3 were still doing perimeter stroking, while 2 started consecutive edges. Then some were doing waltz 8s while others did spirals. It was the most nerve wracking thing I've ever seen. And my test nerves don't need that stress! (And my test nerves are so huge that sitting here TYPING about tests my hands are shaking and my heart is pounding. This is ridiculous!)

At a different club my PB was double paneled and they were SO accommodating. We did stroking from opposite sides. Then they asked if we neeeded to use a certain line or circle for the consecutive edges, crossovers, and waltz eight. They said if we both needed the same circle we could WAIT for it- so that we were most comfortable! We used seperate areas, because either of us could go from either side. I did follow on the 3 turn patterns, because while I was comfortable starting from either side, I think my coach could tell I was freaking out- and asked me to ask the judge if I could start from my "usual" place.

techskater
12-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Heck, we double panel at every club here in IL all the time all the way to Novice, similar to Jenlyon's club. Junior and Senior are skated single paneled. FWIW, we had a test session at our club last week with 2 Seniors, 4 Juniors, 10 Novice, and 8 Intermediates, a test session yesterday with another club with 1 Senior, 2 Juniors, 5 Novice, and 3 Intermediates, AND another session today with a THIRD club with at least 1 Senior and Junior and several Novice and Intermediate tests going out. 8O

I got lucky when I passed my Intermediate in that I was the "odd one out" and ended up single paneled. There were 7 tests and I got to be the only single panel test which kept me from getting worried about passing the other skater! :)

Debbie S
12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
My club had a VERY crowded test session last year (9 hours, 91 tests total 8O ) - the test session was held jointly with another club - and Pre-Juv MIF and most of the dances were double-paneled in the way Jenlyon described (starting at opposite ends). This was new to most, if not all, of the skaters b/c tests at clubs in our area are usually not done this way (except with Pre-Prelim when there are 2 or 3), but everyone seemed to handle it well and there were no near-collisions. Pre-Prelim and Prelim MIF had multiple skaters out on the ice (3 and 4 in the Prelim groups, 4 and 5 in Pre-Prelim, each judged by a single judge) and they did staggered starts. Some of the Prelim skaters got a little close to each other on the spirals, and I noticed that during the Pre-Prelim tests, the first kid down a line on the consecutive edges would stop right at the end and didn't move out of the way for the next kid, so the second kid was often aborting the last edge lobe halfway through, but neither the kids nor the judges seemed bothered by it. For the Prelim crossover figure 8's and Pre-Prelim waltz 8, the kids were divided up and went to opposite ends for their circles, and they took turns (second kid waited for first kid to be done). One Prelim skater did her crossovers in the center, but there weren't any problems with that.

I've seen Wash FSC test sessions and everything seems to run very well - as Jenlyon said, the kids and judges are all used to it. But for someone not used to it, it can be kind of freaky, esp with the Juv and Int moves that usually are in the center (8-step, back power 3's, power circles), b/c the skaters have to use 'virtual' circles at each end. That can be confusing to out-of-club skaters who are used to practicing it the regular way.

Kim to the Max
12-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I know I would be freaked out to test my Intermediate moves double paneled! Partly because I skate pretty fast and I would be worried about making sure I don't get in the other persons way...and partly because of my lack of experience with double paneled tests...every test (minus pre-pre) that I ever took was single paneled...

techskater
12-21-2007, 01:22 PM
My coach had my training partner and I practice the Intermediate double paneled TOGETHER. It actually did help.

doubletoe
12-21-2007, 01:36 PM
For Intermediate, she will have both skaters at the same time for all elements except the slide chasse sequence.

That was actually the one that came to mind when I was imagining potential issues on a double-paneled Intermediate MIF test, LOL! I'm trying to remember how they handled it when I had to do that move on my double paneled Silver MIF test (that was just before it got moved to the Gold test, so I've now had it on 3 different tests!).

I suppose it would also throw a fly in the ointment if one skater wiped out on the power circles and the other one was half a circle behind her. . .

coskater64
12-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Two of my attempts at Novice were with double panels I almost caught the skater in front of me on the counters, luckily we did the sprials solo.

8O 8O

vesperholly
12-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I haven't had to double panel anything except PrePre. I can't remember if the moves were - I tested them in 1994! - but I distinctly remember for the free, the judge gathered all the skaters, 4 or 5 of us, and then had us do each element one at a time.

I'd be a wreck if I had to double panel moves. Not only do you have to worry about running into someone, but then you can't take the time you want in between each move to rest, have a drink of water, blow your nose, talk to your coach. The first time I tested Intermediate moves, the head judge cut our warmup in half, so I only got to warm up the power circles, double 3s and power 3s before I had to get off the ice (I failed).

What's the motivation behind double paneling anyways? Expensive/limited ice? Limited judging time? Are the test fees not covering the ice cost? Are the clubs trying to profit from test sessions?

Ellyn
12-21-2007, 02:08 PM
What's the motivation behind double paneling anyways? Expensive/limited ice? Limited judging time? Are the test fees not covering the ice cost? Are the clubs trying to profit from test sessions?

Mainly expensive/limited ice, I would think. The last two would relate to that issue.

Limited judging time is less the issue, because more judges are needed. But fewer judges would have an awfully long day if they had to do double the number of tests sequentially. At Washington FSC, there's no way all the moves tests could be done in one day without doubling. In which case more test sessions would be needed.

Debbie S
12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
What's the motivation behind double paneling anyways? Expensive/limited ice? Limited judging time? Are the test fees not covering the ice cost? Are the clubs trying to profit from test sessions?In the case of my club's mega-test session last year, there were just so many tests signed up that if they (except for Pre-pre) had been done singly, we would have needed 2 days or 2 rinks. That's expensive. Actually, originally the test session was scheduled from 9 to 3, but fortunately the test chair was able to arrange for 3 additional hours once the applications came in and it was clear 6 hours wouldn't be enough. Still, there were a few skaters(all guests who turned their apps in very close to or past the deadline) that had to be turned away. There were 9 judges there that day, although most weren't there the whole time (some judges were scheduled just for the morning, some came around noon or 1, some were there most of the day but had 1 or 2 breaks where they weren't judging for a while, depending on their credentials and what was needed).

As I said, this test session was co-sponsored with another club - 1 club got the judges and did the dance schedule, the other (the host club) handled the logistics and the registration and result recording and did the MIF/FS schedule. Between the 2 clubs, there were a lot of skaters wanting to test. Test sessions that large are unusual around here. The test chairs wanted to accommodate as many as possible so everyone had to be squeezed in.

In the case of Washington FSC, it's a huge club, with lots of skaters testing at any given time, and double-paneling is the only way they can get everyone in. They have test sessions monthly (I think?) but there's just always a big demand.

Doubletoe, the skaters do the power circles at opposite ends - they just start at some spot between the hockey circles and blue line, and spiral outward from there, so their circles never overlap. I saw a skater fall on the power circles during one of these tests, but she just got up and finished the move a bit behind the other skater who hadn't fallen. It wasn't a big time difference and the other skater just had to stand in starting position for the next one a few seconds longer. No biggie. :)

doubletoe
12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Doubletoe, the skaters do the power circles at opposite ends - they just start at some spot between the hockey circles and blue line, and spiral outward from there, so their circles never overlap. I saw a skater fall on the power circles during one of these tests, but she just got up and finished the move a bit behind the other skater who hadn't fallen. It wasn't a big time difference and the other skater just had to stand in starting position for the next one a few seconds longer. No biggie. :)

Wow, that would have thrown me for a loop as well, having only practiced them around the center circle! Our club is either the 2nd or 3rd largest in the country, but we have two FS/MIF test sessions per month (with the exception of the 6 weeks starting mid-November, when there are none), so I guess that makes the number of skaters manageable.