View Full Version : Miss Michigan to appear at Greater Grand Rapids FSC Dec. 2

Mel On Ice
11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi everyone:

Short break to post a PSA!

I have a unique and wonderful opportunity to educate skaters. Kirsten Haglund, Miss Michigan 2007, will be making an appearance at the Greater Grand Rapids Figure Skating Club, Patterson Ice Center, 2550 Patterson Ave., at 4 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2007.

Haglund will be speaking to skaters and parents on her experiences with anorexia and recovery, encouraging young women like her to get help. Ms. Haglund wants to speak to those most at-risk of developing eating disorders, namely teenage girls. Our sport is rich in beauty, athleticism and dance, but is also one of the most vulnerable to this affliction. Kirsten would love to spend an hour or two with skaters in the West Michigan area, and talk to them about her experiences.

Her lecture will be followed by a Q&A session and a reception, including a chance for the public to meet Haglund for autographs and photos.

Kirsten is 19, and was crowned Miss Michigan in June 2007. She is a student at the University of Cincinnati’s College-Conservatory of Music, studying musical theater performance. A recovering anorexic, Haglund hopes “to educate our youth, their leaders, teachers and parents about the alarming prevalence of eating disorders… to value those things in our youth that define character, not appearance.” She will be competing at the Miss America Pageant on January 26, which will be broadcast on The Learning Channel (TLC).

I love the sport of figure skating, but I love the skaters in our community more. Any education we can provide to ensure their health and happiness is worth the effort. I some of you can join us in welcoming Miss Michigan to our figure skating community.