View Full Version : My wonderful coach is famous!!!

SkaterBird
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
An article in today's Minneapolis Star-Tribune about my fabulous and endlessly patient young coach!:)

How I got my job: Mandy Pirich, 26, Brooklyn Park

Job: Figure-skating professional for the Brooklyn Park Figure Skating Club and the Parade Figure Skating Club/SportsQuest Skating Academy in Minneapolis; skating director for the Maple Grove Skating School
Education: Bachelor's degree in child psychology, University of Minnesota; certified Professional Skaters Association (PSA) Moves in the Field instructor; and registered PSA Free Skating instructor

What do you do? I teach the fundamentals of skating and coach competitive skaters in the U.S. Figure Skating Club. I have students ages 3 to 62-plus. I teach private lessons, cut music, create skating programs and continue my education through the PSA. I also plan ice time, create rosters, hire instructors and oversee the program for the Maple Grove Skating School.

Salary: $50,000 to $65,000

How did you get your job? I trained as a figure skater for 12 years, at which time I also volunteered to teach group lessons. I loved working with the skaters and seeing them progress because of my teaching ability, so I applied to be a group lessons instructor with the city of Brooklyn Park. While I was coaching, someone asked me if I had ever thought of becoming a skating professional. Although I was going to college at the time to become a teacher, I thought about it and realized that, as a skating professional, I could have the best of both worlds: I could be on the ice, teaching something that I absolutely love, but I would also have the freedom of setting my own schedule as an independent contractor. The timing was perfect and the rest is history.

Dream job: This is it.

How did your college education prepare you for your job? I gained in-depth knowledge about the psyche of children and adults, and was also able to take sports psychology classes. That helps me every day, while working with my skaters and understanding their thought process while on the ice. As a former competitive skater, I also understand the dedication that it takes to be a great skater.

What do you enjoy most about your job? I created a career around something that I love, and that adds a lot to my life. The flexibility of my day is one of the best features of this job.

Advice: Each day is new and can be more successful than yesterday.

AIMEE BLANCHETTE

http://www.startribune.com/174/story/1522682.html