View Full Version : Getting the "snap" on double salchow

patatty
11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
I read the previous thread about getting the "snap" on an axel, which I seem to have accomplished, but what about the double salchow? I have been working on this jump for what seems like forever, and my coach is getting very frustrated with me. I can get a 1 3/4 rotation jump on good day, but my legs are not crossed, and it seems to happen from just forcing my body around rather than from the "snap". Is there some trick to the timing of the takeoff that puts you into that axel-like position?

vesperholly
11-02-2007, 06:50 PM
What got me full rotation was to concentrate on driving my right (CCW) knee upwards and keeping my left arm/shoulder checked strongly in front. It made the jump go up instead of around, which gave me enough time to complete the rotation.

(still falling, though ... :) )

stardust skies
11-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I read the previous thread about getting the "snap" on an axel, which I seem to have accomplished, but what about the double salchow? I have been working on this jump for what seems like forever, and my coach is getting very frustrated with me. I can get a 1 3/4 rotation jump on good day, but my legs are not crossed, and it seems to happen from just forcing my body around rather than from the "snap". Is there some trick to the timing of the takeoff that puts you into that axel-like position?

Yes- wait longer before taking off than you think you ought to. The jump should happen pretty naturally, double/triple salchows are the easiest multi-rotational jumps of the lot for most people.

coskater64
11-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Well first of all a double sow is only 1 1/2 revolutions not two. You do the 3 turn or mohawk and are on your left foot usually on your rocker rotate forward and as you turn forward snap just like an axel you are forward just like on the axel as you go into the jump if you are doing 1 3/4 revolutions you are not waiting long enough to jump. I think my signature has a link to some jumps I did while I was still uninjured, some are good some are bad but if you slow them down you will see I am forward as the jump lifts off.

Of course as a qualifier, everyone learns differently so heed advice, get a good coach who understands how you work and can take you through it slowly and carefully.

Gimperella:bow:

patatty
11-03-2007, 07:27 AM
I know that the 2sal is less than 2 full rotations - I guess I should have stated that I am landing it 1/4 shy of full rotation.

coskater- doesn't your way end up with a cheated takeoff if you are taking off forward? My coach always chides me if my takeoff is too "hooked" or if I have any little turn marks on the ice.

vesperholly- checking the shoulder makes sense. I used to let my shoulder go around in the axel and that caused the jump to go around instead of out and up.

techskater
11-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Any Salchow should have a small check mark on the end of the take off. That makes for a correct take off - not a cheat. It takes off between back and forward but closer to forward. The toe loop should also have a check mark on the pick of the take off. Same for the loop.

coskater64
11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Yep, look for the check on those jumps, as for the snap, it should be the same as on the axel. You should feel that similar snap on all the transfer-of-weight jumps. Slightly different for the pivot jumps.

:D :D

Skate80
11-03-2007, 11:47 PM
The sow is very similar to the axel, after your three turn as you bring your free foot and arm around at the point of take off you are pretty much doing the same motion as an axel. The same lift and snap in.

kander
11-04-2007, 12:19 AM
The snap is the same on all jumps. It's a result of jumping first, rotating second. On the salchow bring the free through and step up into the jump before rotating.

Kevin

SkatingOnClouds
11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Any Salchow should have a small check mark on the end of the take off. That makes for a correct take off - not a cheat. It takes off between back and forward but closer to forward. The toe loop should also have a check mark on the pick of the take off. Same for the loop.

True??? I was beating myself up today wondering why I am getting a small check mark on my toe-loops, aiming for the perfect take off. And loops??? You mean my take-offs aren't as cheated as I thought?

techskater
11-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Nope! My coach and a surprise guest skater both worked with me to try and get the check mark on the end of the loop so my double would be easier and more consistent. The toe loop is about not turning completely forward on the take off and doing a toe-waltz jump or toe-Axel.

patatty
11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the clarification. No wonder I'm having so much trouble! I checked my Petkevich book today, and it also mentions the toe pick marks on the salchow and loop. I'm excited to try them out again tomorrow.

Isk8NYC
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification. No wonder I'm having so much trouble! I checked my Petkevich book today, and it also mentions the toe pick marks on the salchow and loop. I'm excited to try them out again tomorrow.
I love the Petkevich book - I just unpacked mine!
Good luck on your jump!

blackmanskating
11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

techskater is right!!! That check mark means that you are actually taking off from a forward outside edge followed by your toepick. This is actually correct. If you are having a hard time getting that last 1/4 rotation, it's probably from rushing the take-off.

BlackManSkating

flikkitty11
11-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Well first of all a double sow is only 1 1/2 revolutions not two. You do the 3 turn or mohawk and are on your left foot usually on your rocker rotate forward and as you turn forward snap just like an axel you are forward just like on the axel as you go into the jump if you are doing 1 3/4 revolutions you are not waiting long enough to jump.

My coach(es) always taught to take off backwards and do 2 rotations. When one of the judges came and did a session with us she told us specifically to take off backwards. Basically, if you check the take off its an axel preceeded by 3 turn...

coskater64
11-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I would suggest you find video of national competitors doing double and triple jumps. The axel and double axel are the gateway jumps to the doubles and triples, all double jumps are 1 1/2 rotations all triple jumps are 2 1/2 rotations you don't leave the ground until you are forward even though you might be backward when you start the take off.

The jumps are not two revolutions in the air...go find video of your national champs slow it down.

Some coaches will teach that way in order to encourage rotation so you don't come up short. But that doesn't change the jump....:halo: :halo: