View Full Version : Bronze Moves

dani
09-24-2002, 11:59 AM
Well, I took the test last night and skated horribly for me. My power 3's which had been so good in Atlanta were very bad including a slide on the outside edge exactly in front of the judges!

I passed anyway but I didn't feel like I skated anywhere near how I can skate (and neither does my coach). At least they are over with!

Has anyone else tested adult MIF here yet?

Hugs!
Danielle

dbny
09-24-2002, 12:39 PM
Congratulations Dani:D :D :D

jenlyon60
09-24-2002, 01:43 PM
Congrats!!!!! Onwards and upwards with the Bronze FS test!

LoopLoop
09-24-2002, 02:19 PM
Congratulations!

flo
09-24-2002, 02:28 PM
:P

flutzilla1
09-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Congrats on passing you MITF test! :)

garyc254
09-24-2002, 03:32 PM
YOU GO, GIRL!!!!! :D :D :D

CONGRATS!!!

Ice T
09-24-2002, 08:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D

jazzpants
09-25-2002, 01:21 AM
8) CONGRATS TO YOU, DANI!!!! 8)

(Very jealous now... ) :P

Cheers,
jazzpants

icenut84
09-25-2002, 11:06 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :mrgreen:

Debbie S
09-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Congratulations, Dani!! :)

Yazmeen
09-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Three cheers and a big tiger on skates for you!!! :lol: :P :D

Beth

Mrs Redboots
09-25-2002, 12:29 PM
Oh, Dani, that's great news! Many congratulations.

dani
09-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the congrats everyone!!

I just received my scores - I had straight 2.5's with a single 2.6 from two of the judges. The third judge gave me a 2.7, a pair of 2.6's, a 2.5 and a 2.4 (5 step mohawk).

Ok, what is this score out of? Did I get 2.5's just because they wanted me to pass and that is what I needed? The comments didn't really help either.

Hugs!
Danielle

Mrs Redboots
09-26-2002, 10:04 AM
The score should, I think, be out of 6, as is usual in skating. The pass mark varies, increasing as you go up the ladder. I don't know what the pass mark would be for Adult Bronze, but 2.5 average sounds about right.

kar5162
09-26-2002, 10:07 AM
2.5 is passing. It's kind of out of 6, but is really based on what is the expectation at that level. If you perform the move to expectations, 2.5. The 2.6 means you performed the move better than required, the 2.4, not as well as required, but not terrible.

JDC1
09-26-2002, 10:16 AM
Excellent. :-) You must be so thrilled and proud.

dani
09-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
The score should, I think, be out of 6, as is usual in skating. The pass mark varies, increasing as you go up the ladder. I don't know what the pass mark would be for Adult Bronze, but 2.5 average sounds about right.

That is what I was guessing based on the scores. How much do they normally vary? I mean if I had skated my best I would have had really solid edges and quiet 3-turns. Would that have broken me out of the 2.6 range? I guess this is really judge-specific right?

For example, on one of my (good ;-) moves I received the comment "very nicely skated - extension nice" and my score was a 2.6

I am very happy and proud that I passed and have started on my Silver moves. I guess I am the first "rinksider" to test these? I am also happy that I can finely get back to my pre-bronze dances! ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

KJD
09-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Dani,
Congratulations! I think you are the first rinksider to pass. That's a great accomplishment - not the least of which is now they are out of the way. I am taking my Gold Moves the last weekend of October so I will be interested to see how that goes. I don't think any of the judges in our area will have had to judge the new adult moves by the time I take them - it will be an experience.

dobiesk8r
09-26-2002, 12:36 PM
dani, congratulations! Sounds like you did
better than you think you did (does that make
sense?)

Does anyone here skate well on a test? I know that
when I took my Bronze free, I fell at the end on
a lunge/turn/lunge. I never did that before...but
I passed. Nice comments too. My friend was
cracking up on the sidelines.

And on my preliminary moves test, I was aghast
that I was expected to do my crossovers at the
end of the rink, on the itty-bitty circles. I have
big crossovers....I also heard that I nearly hit
the other person taking the test on the back
crossovers to an outside edge. Oh, that would
have been great! All the same I had some marks
over passing, so I was pleased.

One day I will take a test and do well, until then I
will be relieved just to pass!
:twisted:

dani
09-26-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by kar5162
2.5 is passing. It's kind of out of 6, but is really based on what is the expectation at that level. If you perform the move to expectations, 2.5. The 2.6 means you performed the move better than required, the 2.4, not as well as required, but not terrible.

Oops, This was the quote for my earlier post ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

LoopLoop
09-26-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by dobiesk8r
Does anyone here skate well on a test?

I skate well during freestyle tests, but not moves tests. I think part of my moves issues is the structure of the tests; it always seems that *my* hardest element on each test is the first one and I can't get warmed up enough in five minutes to get my knees nice and loose.

kar5162
09-26-2002, 01:44 PM
Oops! Forgot to say congrats earlier Dani.

About your other question...it seems to vary by judges. Where I skate there are occasionally Prelim moves tests passed 2 of 3 judges 1.0 over (in total) and the 3rd judge is nowhere near as generous. Still 2.6 means you did very, very well.

As for actually testing, I don't think I've tested as well as I skate yet. Pre-Preliminary free maybe :), but that's about it. I usually do just fine on the first move or so, then it goes downhill. When I took Pre-Juv moves, I skated terribly on the 5-step mohawks...they were my best "practice" move, but in the test they were so bad - I just couldn't wait to get off the ice. Juv was a little better since there were less moves :).

dani
09-26-2002, 02:53 PM
What if I gave Michelle Kwan her own Dani-suit (so that she looked just like me) and let her skate my MIF test? Would she get 6.0's?

(of course why Michelle would want her own Dani-suit is another question ;-)

Elsy2
09-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Congratulations! As my coach says....A pass is a pass! Whether it be at the passing average or above. I think the highest test scores I've seen may be been about .7 above the passing average, but this is truly an exception. Most of the skaters are very pleased with .1 or .2 over the passing average.

The passing averages go up for each level......for example the passing average for each move on a Senior test is 4.5...

I would have been thrilled with even .1 over the passing average on my Bronze FS.....alas I was marked 2.5 and 2.5. I was lucky to get that considering my "squat spin"....

tazsk8s
09-27-2002, 08:27 AM
The way I have always had "passing" scores explained to me is that if you get exactly what you need to pass, then your skating was what the judges expect to see at that level (regardless of what the passing "number" is). In our area, to see a mark even .1 over passing is actually considered to be quite good. Taz Jr. passed her preliminary FS last spring with marks of 2.6/2.7 for a total of .3 over passing - she did skate a nice test that was a pretty obvious pass anyway, but her coach was blown away that she was marked that far over standard.

Congratulations on passing your Bronze moves. I was hoping to have my Silver ones testable for November-ish, after my coach gets past the Regionals frenzies that invariably take over this time of year (ugh - the tension at our rink is so thick you could cut it with a knife). Not sure if that's realistic or not - back cross strokes are still pretty awful, and the chasse move from Intermediate is just cruel and unusual punishment!

ClevelandDancer
09-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by dani
What if I gave Michelle Kwan her own Dani-suit (so that she looked just like me) and let her skate my MIF test? Would she get 6.0's?

My guess is "probably not". Reason: there isn't enough difficulty in the adult bronze moves to warrant a 6.0.

Congratulations! I'm quite impressed that you got any marks above 2.5. My impression is that you have to be well above the passing standard to get marked above it. :D

dani
09-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by tazsk8s
Congratulations on passing your Bronze moves. I was hoping to have my Silver ones testable for November-ish, after my coach gets past the Regionals frenzies that invariably take over this time of year (ugh - the tension at our rink is so thick you could cut it with a knife). Not sure if that's realistic or not - back cross strokes are still pretty awful, and the chasse move from Intermediate is just cruel and unusual punishment!

Thanks! Then I will be a little more proud of it, but against the most important metric, I didn't skate as well as I am capable.

I have started on my silver moves, and that Intermediate move seems fairly tough! I have enough roller dance experience that the mohawk and cross stroke sequences aren't starting too bad, but they of course need lots of repitions to become good enough to test. I am not in a huge hurry for them because my next goal is the bronze FS and I probably need that in November to qualify for AN. (I don't think we are having a test center in December).

Hugs and good luck when you do test them!
Danielle

dobiesk8r
09-27-2002, 09:00 AM
But what about the 8 step mohawk?

Am I the only one who absolutely detests
that move? Blah. My hips don't like the
ccw version at all. Mohawks freak me out;
I'd much rather do three turns.

I am far closer to taking my pre-juv moves
than I am to Silver Adult moves. According
to my coach, the judge I had for my prelim
moves is the main person who made the
adult moves. I liked him because he scored
me .3 above passing, but after seeing what
I'm in for in Silver, maybe I don't like him so
much now!

He enjoys a reputation of being tough, but
very fair - I've seen some HUGE discrepancies
in judging in my area, that's for sure.

Designdiva
09-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Dobiesk8r,

I'm taking silver moves in November.
I really like the slide-chassé sequence. And the rest of the test is pretty straightforward. But the outside-to-inside 3-turns in the field are going to be the death of me. If I fall in that LBI three *one* more time.

And like the 8-step because I prefer mohawks over 3 turns. My issue with it is maintaining the size of the circle. I think it is hard to practice because you have to occupy such a large piece of ice. (That is especially hard when the rink is crowded with regionals competitors. Whomever said you can cut the tension with a knife is right. I've witnessed at least one meltdown/staredown/argument every day this week.)