View Full Version : Cutting tights

Emberchyld
11-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with cutting the feet/toes off of their tights and if the tights run?

I have capezio footed skating tights for the Halloween classic, but I'm a barefoot skater and I'd like to modify the tights somehow so that I can at least have my toes "free". I usually use foot-less tights, but they don't go deep enough into the boot to make them acceptable for competition, and we don't want to do OTB tights.

Sooooo... have any of you successfully modified your tights?

AndreaUK
11-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi

I use some tights that have a stirrup foot so that they go right down into the boot and just strap under your feet. I find them comfy and I can still skate with thin socks. Im pretty sure theyre made by mondor. I havent experienced any problems with runs in them.

Andrea

jak0203
11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I've cut tights off before for dance. I've never really had a problem with them running. The one problem is that they don't have elastic to stay down, so if you're trying to keep them in your boots, they may have a tendancy to ride up. It's worth a try, though.

JulieN
11-01-2007, 05:45 PM
I've cut tights off before for dance. I've never really had a problem with them running. The one problem is that they don't have elastic to stay down, so if you're trying to keep them in your boots, they may have a tendancy to ride up. It's worth a try, though.

Instead of cutting them, maybe try and make two slits right along the seam -- one bigger one for the 4 toes, and 1 smaller one for the big toe. Then wear the tights kind of like a pair of thong sandals with the toes free.

cherriee
11-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Instead of cutting them, maybe try and make two slits right along the seam

That actually sounds like a good idea. I got some tights that are too stretchy. They make my toes cramp up and very uncomfy.

stardust skies
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
You should buy some convertible tights. They are footed tights with a hole at the bottom of the sole- usually made for dance so that pointe shoe dancers can tape their toes/put in padding and such. They should could in tan colors though. Discount Dance Supply is a good place to look for them.

double3s
11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't like the toe seam in tights and often cut the feet off them. If they are thick skating tights, and not flimsy pantyhose tights, the don't run or anything. Only thing is that they roll up a bit and can create a bulge. I pull them over the top of my boots, so they don't bunch up around my feets.

Sessy
11-02-2007, 04:17 AM
I wear normal clothing store tights which i cut open either along the seam for footless tights, or in the length of a "knitting row" if I want over-the-boot tights. They don't run, but you do need to cut a bit smaller than you'll eventually need, cuz the cut stretches out more than tights usually do. Not so small as to need force to pull it open though.

dbny
11-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I also skate barefoot, and simply cut the very end off my tights. I pull the bottoms down over my boot tops and lace bows. They stay over the lace bows, but do ride up a bit in back. It looks and feels fine.

flippet
11-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I usually use foot-less tights, but they don't go deep enough into the boot to make them acceptable for competition,

You stuff your footless tights *into* your boots?

Odd. I've never seen anyone do that. Footless tights are supposed to be pulled *over* the tops of your boots--over the laces and hooks. I've occasionally seen skaters pull them even further, over the heel of the boot. That way, they're 'long', but not actually an OTB look. (They stay surprisingly well, just flipped over the corners of the heel.)

I've always worn footless tights, with nylon footies underneath, because I don't like to skate barefoot, but I do like access to my feet.

I've never cut tights, but I imagine that the microfiber ones would probably do okay, and not run. I have a small hole in one of my pairs, and the edges of the hole went 'soft', but didn't run.

Emberchyld
11-02-2007, 03:00 PM
You stuff your footless tights *into* your boots?

Odd. I've never seen anyone do that. Footless tights are supposed to be pulled *over* the tops of your boots--over the laces and hooks. I've occasionally seen skaters pull them even further, over the heel of the boot. That way, they're 'long', but not actually an OTB look. (They stay surprisingly well, just flipped over the corners of the heel.)

Unfortunately, with my long legs I can't get footless tights (and usually footed tights) long enough to even get near stuffing into my skate or going over my boot (when I try to pull them over the boot, the tights start to "fall" down 8O ) I usually use convertible for dance and only wear the footed part during shows or dress rehearsals (and deal with the slipping).

But, thanks to everyone's suggestions, I've modified my tights (no runs!) and will be happily nearly-barefooted for the competition tommorrow.

Thanks, everyone!

sk8dinosaur
11-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Years ago in dance class, we would take our old tights cut the legs off and put neck hole in the crotch. We would wear them upside down as shirts! Thus the invention of "the Crotchless Wonder Shirt!"