View Full Version : PSA Membership and Ratings

AshBugg44
10-31-2007, 01:15 PM
A fellow coach and I are looking to join PSA but it all seems overwhelming. Can someone break down how it works? I know you have to go through the BA test first, but can someone help explain how all the ratings and rankings work, with the written tests, oral tests, and credits?

Isk8NYC
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I've added a Poll to the top of this thread, just to assess the level of coaches/instructors on this board.

Please don't respond if you're not a Coach or Instructor.

The poll is anonymous and allows multiple choice.

Isk8NYC
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM
It is a bit complicated to get started. I'll leave the post-BA exam for those who know more than I do.

You have to be sponsored for membership (http://www.skatepsa.com/Membership.htm) by an existing member.
There are different levels of membership (http://www.skatepsa.com/Categories-and-Fees.htm), the sponsorship is just a signature.

Rankings (http://www.skatepsa.com/Ranking.htm) are based on your skating accomplishments or those of your students. This is mainly for well-earned bragging rights.

Ratings (http://www.skatepsa.com/Accreditation-&-Certification.htm) are based on the PSA exams you take to demonstrate your knowledge of figure skating and teaching. These are the credentials that you acquire by taking the exams, which are looked at by skating programs and prospective students/families.

The first exam everyone takes is the Basic Accreditation (BA) exam.
It's a multiple-choice exam offered at pretty much every PSA educational event.

Once you've passed the BA exam, you will have to:
1) Become a full member in order to take higher-level ratings exams;
2) Continue to take educational courses, maintaining 28 credits over three years, or lose your BA certification.

Regarding PSA Educational Credits: You don't necessarily have to go to PSA-presented events, but those will earn you the most educational credits. However, ISI workshops and conferences as well as the USFSA educational events are also eligible. You have to fill out and submit the Affidavit (http://www.skatepsa.com/Affidavit%20Form.pdf) in order to get credit with the PSA.

ETA: I found this blurb on the PSA site and thought it was relevant here. (Too limiting, IMO, given the workshops at the ISI's site.) U.S. Figure Skating & ISI events are limited to a maximum of 8 credits in a 3 year period.

Quite honestly, the BA Exam Study Guide was weak and didn't really prepare me well for the test itself.
Specifically, the "PSA" drawings of turns and edges were not in the study guide, but were reviewed orally by the Master Coach administering the test. I was rattled by the last-minute cram session.

You should augment your studying with additional research to be fully prepared.
DBNY and I took the BA exam together - there's a thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20205&highlight=psa+exam)on this board about our experience.

Now, what about Beyond-BA? Anybody want to chime in?

AshBugg44
10-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the info! :)

kayskate
11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
I am a PSA member and was sponsored by the skating director of the first rink where I worked a few yrs ago. I looked into ratings. From what I understand (please chime in if I am incorrect), the first PSA rating req's a minimum test level of USFSA Juv or ISI 5. That means you must test and pass an axel. As an adult skater, that is very difficult for me. I am wondering if I can get the rating w MITF or dance tests instead of FS. Anyone know?

Kay

Isk8NYC
11-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I am a PSA member and was sponsored by the skating director of the first rink where I worked a few yrs ago. I looked into ratings. From what I understand (please chime in if I am incorrect), the first PSA rating req's a minimum test level of USFSA Juv or ISI 5. That means you must test and pass an axel. As an adult skater, that is very difficult for me. I am wondering if I can get the rating w MITF or dance tests instead of FS. Anyone know?

Kay Once you've passed the BA exam, you can pursue ratings within a discipline. The disciplines are: Choreography, Dance, Figures, Free, Group, MITF, Pairs, Synchro, and Program Director. Within the discipline, there are levels and you're correct: the Registered Free Skating requirements include passing USFSA Juv / USFSA Adult Silver / ISI 4. (Not ISI 5; the next level skips to ISI 6. Maybe it was changed since you looked?)

In any case, the PSA doesn't require YOU to do the actual skating, you can have your students take and pass those tests.

And yes, you could pursue the MITF or Dance disciplines instead of Free Skating.

sk8nlizard
11-01-2007, 01:44 PM
According to the PSA website you only have to have taken the Pre-Juvenile Freestyle, Adult Silver, or the ISI Freeskate 4 OR have taken a skater through one of these levels.

http://www.skatepsa.com/Rating%20Requirements/07%20FREE%20SKATING%20Requirements%20_2_.pdf

It looks like you don't need to have an axel to be able to take the Registered exam.

Isk8NYC
11-01-2007, 03:52 PM
You're correct.

Kayskate must have gotten confused because ISI FS 5 has the axel as a required maneuver. That's why I pointed out the FS 4 requirement.

kayskate
11-01-2007, 04:52 PM
You're correct.

Kayskate must have gotten confused because ISI FS 5 has the axel as a required maneuver. That's why I pointed out the FS 4 requirement.

Yup. Thanks for clarifying. I looked at the requirements again and feel encouraged. My goal is to get through Adult Silver in the near future.

Kay

Isk8NYC
11-02-2007, 08:24 AM

I've never observed an oral exam, taken a sports science exam, or gone to the PACE workshops.
What's the best way to prepare for higher-level exams?

dbny
11-02-2007, 09:13 AM

I've never observed an oral exam, taken a sports science exam, or gone to the PACE workshops?
What's the best way to prepare for higher-level exams?

My coach is always working towards further ratings and she says that attending a PACE workshop is almost a necessity.

Isk8NYC
11-02-2007, 09:18 AM
After looking at the "Study Guides" I would have HOPED PACE would fill the gap. Do people go to PACE, come back and study more, then take the exams (written + oral) later at another event? Or do they go to PACE and take the tests at the end of the seminar?

sk8nlizard
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I have taken 2 of the Sports Science exams and hope to take my next two at the PACE seminar in Florida. As long as you get the study guides I felt that the sports science exams were very straight forward (though i did think the wording was akward on some of the questions). As far as Oral exams go, I have never taken one, but am also planning on taking one in January at PACE. I have never been to a PACE seminar and am told they are very beneficial for the exams. I have been told from multiple master rated coaches, that the favorite question on the oral exams is "Why?" As long as you can explain why you teach certain methods, and why you teach things in certain orders, you should be fine. They realize that there are many different techniques out there. Also, I have heard that you do have to draw patterns, spin and jump entries/exits, etc. These are all things I have been told, not experienced, but I will let you know how true it was when I get back from PACE. Anyone else planning on going to the seminar in Florida?

Isk8NYC
12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm leaning towards PACE in January, but it hinges on DH's employment situation.

I heard something that confused me: a coach told me that she took her sports science exam (didn't know which one) and passed, so the examiner suggested she just skip the three lower levels of testing and take the Master's Rating oral exam next.

Is that allowed?