View Full Version : How much do you charge/get paid

littlekateskate
10-30-2007, 11:45 AM
How much do you charge as a coach per hour? If you want to be annonymous use the poll only.. But please also feel free to share in the thread your rate and how long you have been coaching.. Or if you just do group lessons how much do you get paid ?

littlekateskate
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Please note if you are uncomfortable sharing.. The Poll is set so you cannot see who voted for which item. :) thanks littlekateskate

CanadianAdult
10-30-2007, 11:50 AM
This is fun because the Canadian dollar is currently worth more than the American, so I can put myself in a higher group!

Virtualsk8r
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Not exactly a fair comparison between US and Canadian coaches - for a number of reasons. Canadian coaches have to be certified and charge differing amounts based on their NCCP levels and location. For example, a Level 1 coach in Toronto may charge $12.00 per 15 minute lesson, while a Level 3 coach in Quebec may charge $11.00.....Or a Toronto Level 4 coach may charge $80 a hour while a Calgary Level 4 may charge $60...

In the US, however there is no certification requirement as there is in Canada, other than some clubs requiring PSA membership etc. So anyone with or without training can set up shop and charge whatever they want.

There are Canadian skaters with their Level 1 - coaching in the USA and charging $80-100 per hour for lessons, while they could only get away with charging $32-40 per hour in Canada.

kayskate
10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I get paid more for privates than group. It is a significant difference.

Kay

AshBugg44
10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't mind sharing. I make $50/hour for privates, which is the starting rate for all of our coaches.

jskater49
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't mind sharing. I make $50/hour for privates, which is the starting rate for all of our coaches.

Wow. Starting coaches around here get $12-18 a half hour. Our most experienced highest rated coach only gets $55 an hour. Too bad for them. Good for us.

j

littlekateskate
10-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I dont coach obviously, lol.. But Our coaches start out around 60.00 an hour for the basic skills kids.. Then they go up to 90.00 per hour for privates that is..

jskater49
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I dont coach obviously, lol.. But Our coaches start out around 60.00 an hour for the basic skills kids.. Then they go up to 90.00 per hour for privates that is..

Well I'll just say we probably never would have taken up skating had that been the case where we are.

j

littlekateskate
10-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Well I'll just say we probably never would have taken up skating had that been the case where we are.

j

Yea i know it sucks lol :) hehe

Skittl1321
10-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow. Starting coaches around here get $12-18 a half hour. Our most experienced highest rated coach only gets $55 an hour. Too bad for them. Good for us.

j

I think coaches start about the same here (the lowest I know is $15 per half hour) but they go higher. I don't know the highest, but I know quite a few that get $30 for the half hour, so I'd assume others are higher.

I don't get paid to coach, I just get group lessons and ice (better deal for me) but I was offered $12 hour for group lessons, and if I did privates I would probably charge $10 per half hour- but I don't intend to because I don't want to carry my own insurance (and don't know if $10 per half hour would even cover my insurance and ice costs with anything left over. But at my level anything more would seem like a crime- I teach tots and up to Basic 2)

I do know the coaches don't change the rate based on skill though- so you could learn your lutz for $30/half hour same as some other kid learns to wiggle for $30/half hour if they pick the same coach.

SynchroSk8r114
10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
I make darn good money. I'm leaving it at that... ;)

jskater49
10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
asic 2)

I do know the coaches don't change the rate based on skill though- so you could learn your lutz for $30/half hour same as some other kid learns to wiggle for $30/half hour if they pick the same coach.

Well I have an $36 an hour dance coach and a $55 an hour freestyle coach and there's many a time I didn't get anywhere with the cheaper coach and had to get the $55 one to help me. You may think if you are beginner, a beginer coach is a good match, but not necesarily. Our dance coach has it easy with my daughter - she just teaches my daughter the steps and she's got the dance in a few weeks. Me, you have to help me do a mohawk and a step behind. And that may be worth a hundred bucks an hour.

My daughter gets $15 an hour for teaching LTS but she's applying to be a junior coach and then her rate should go up some.

j

twokidsskatemom
10-31-2007, 02:07 AM
Cheaper doesnt mean better. More doesnt mean better either if you dont get anything out of it.
We have paid from 55.00 to 100.00.different needs, different prices !!

Logan3
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
In my area, I never met a coach that charges less than 55/hour. Actually, I only met ONE that charges 55, everybody else is 60 or more. My dd always did groups together with privates but now that she is finishing the freestyle badges there are not even group classes availlable. I wish there were some group classes teaching moves.

I do know that some coaches are willing to financially help a skater that struggles.