View Full Version : Advice for a new group coach

RinkRobot
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
I just started last week teaching group lessons at my rink. I've helped with lessons before and I've taught party classes. This is the first time that I've been on my own teaching a real skating class. The class is an hour long but about 20 minutes practice time. Any advice, hints, pointers, and ideas would be most appreciated. Oh, my class is Basic 1 and the kids are all between 6 and 9.

Isk8NYC
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Make sure you know what to do in an emergency.
If a student is a higher- or lower-level skater, make the Director aware that s/he might need to be moved to another group.
Take attendance about 5 minutes into the lesson instead of at the very beginning. This way, you don't have to waste time doing it every time a latecomer arrives. (Mark them late, btw.)
If a skater's laces are too loose, send them off to their parent or with a helper to fix them.
Remind them about gloves and helmets.
In the beginning, do stretches and warmups. Do the same thing every time.
Toward the end of the lesson, tell them what you want them to practice and have them repeat it for you.Most importantly: keep it fun.

kayskate
10-30-2007, 07:35 AM
That is a long class. All of the groups I have taught are 30 min. Make sure you have games to play w them for the last 10 min or so. Also get a box of Crayola water-based markers. I use them all the time. I let the kids each take one to mark their spot on the ice, set distance goals for glides, write their names and scrape of the ink to practice snowplow stops, etc.

Good luck. You will have lots of fun.

Kay

Isk8NYC
10-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Also get a box of Crayola water-based markers. I use them all the time. Ask if it's okay before using markers; some rinks don't allow them. Also, always test new markers in an unobstrusive spot, before an ice cut. (I use a hockey line) The darker Crayola washables come off easily, but some of the lighter greens and blues bleed into the ice deeply and show for many ice cuts.

slusher
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Plan. Plan. Plan. And then plan some more.

I don't want to be sarcastic but I've spend a couple of thousand dollars, vacation time and worked to get skating levels for the privilege of coaching three year olds to stand up. In every course they talk about planning and lesson plans. I get the point!

I have lesson plans to teach 3 year olds to stand up. Not kidding.

Experienced coaches make it look easy because they've memorized their lesson plans. If I ask one of my coaches how he would teach spins for 10 minutes to a group, he'd recite his plan with progressions and teaching points. I have mine written down because I don't have those years of experience delivering the same curriculum over and over.

Basically a group lesson is a series of 10 or even 5 minute lesson plan segments. Every group lesson should have a warm up, a skating (stroking) segment then a more technical segment and then practice time. Seeing as you're teaching kids at the first level, stroking might just be making it to the other side of the rink, but consider that to do that, you'll need a plan. What do you want to focus on, what key words will you use, how will you encourage the awkward and how can you make it more challenging for the kids that get it quickly?

So if you've got an hour's time, do warm up for the first 10, two lesson segments for 10 each, a games time for 5 or so and then let them practice, at the end gather them all up and do a cool down before getting off the ice. Congratulate them for what they've done, ask them what was hard or easy and then consider your lesson plan for next time based on that.

SynchroSk8r114
10-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Be friendly and have fun, but not to the point where your students can't take you seriously or feel like they can walk all over you. While you want everyone to like you (and who doesn't...), sometimes you have to put your foot down for safety's sake or to simply make sure you're being productive with lesson time.

RinkRobot
10-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the hints everyone. I guess I should have made it a little more clearer. The entire class time is an hour long but the last 20 minutes are for group practice for our holiday show. I only have to teach for about 35 minutes since we usually start late.

We are allowed to use black washable markers, so I might invest in a pack of those.

I've played Red Light Green Light and The Ants Go Marching with them. Are there any other games that are good on the ice?

kayskate
11-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Mr(s). Fox is a popular game. The teacher (or one of the kids) can be the fox. The group calls out "What time is it Mr. Fox?" Fox gives a time of day such as 2:00. Students take 2 steps/strokes/swizzles depending on class level. Then they stop. Repeat. Finally Fox answers "It's lunch time" and all the kids hurry back the start to run from the fox.

Kay

Skittl1321
11-01-2007, 08:35 AM
In small snowplow sam classes one of my kids FAVORITE games to play is to "go swimming". They stand around the blue hockey goal spot on the ice, we put on our swim gear, and then "swim" into the "ocean". While we are in there, we can do dips, to see if we can reach the ocean floor. We can sit on the ocean floor and then practice standing up, or if there is a shark! we have to wiggle out of the ocean as fast as we can. (For some reason, the ocean only allows you to get out going backwards.) With some kids this game lasts 3-5 minutes. Others will play for 10 minutes inventing all kinds of things to wiggle away from (boats, piranhas etc.)

In snowplow 2/3 we go driving in cars. If there is a bridge, you have to dip. (I just yell bridge.) If I have cones, I'll put them up and we have to steer in and out of them, and if it's a colored cone, around it. They always like driving and making lots of VROOM noises. Always make sure to ask them what kind (blue!) of car they are in. I've found anything is more fun, if they have a chance to give imaginary details.

I also like to go to the "zoo" (basket of beanie babies). Then we have to get the animals all the way across the ice to the other wall. Sometimes I'll have them put them on top of their hands, to practice keeping our arms on the magic table. Other times I'll have them put them on their heads. The kids who flail about wildly, suddenly have amazing balance if they have to keep their animal "safe". Then when the animals get to the other side, I put them in a line, and we skate in and out of them, swizzle over them, throw them and go to pick them up (without falling down), and things like that.

we play red light green light as well- but snowplow 1/2 they can't stop yet! So we swizzle on red lights and march/skate on green lights. Or skate on green lights and glide on red lights, etc.

jennib
11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
One of the big things I learned is you have to keep them busy, keep them moving. Parents are usually watching skating lessons (unlike at ballet where the child goes into a studio, skating is all out in the open) and parents like to think they are getting their money's worth. Make sure you give equal attention to each child.

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM
If they are a new student, be sure they know how to fall down safely. That is the first thing we are required to teach. then they also have to learn how to get up safely!

I also like to go to the "zoo" (basket of beanie babies). Then we have to get the animals all the way across the ice to the other wall. Sometimes I'll have them put them on top of their hands, to practice keeping our arms on the magic table. Other times I'll have them put them on their heads. The kids who flail about wildly, suddenly have amazing balance if they have to keep their animal "safe". Then when the animals get to the other side, I put them in a line, and we skate in and out of them, swizzle over them, throw them and go to pick them up (without falling down), and things like that.
I am going to use these! I have a 2 year old with a SHORT attention span and the basket game would be good for her; another boy about 7 who can't control his arms (and I stay well away from him because he likes to GRAB when he falls...and he falls a lot!).

I like to draw "swizzle lines" on the ice for the kids...they each get their own and they "race" each other...usually they get 4 bubbles each and they go to then end then either turn around and go back or go backwards.

vesperholly
11-08-2007, 07:42 PM
These games are all great! I'm getting sick of Red Light/Green Light and Simon Says. :mrgreen:

jskater49
11-09-2007, 06:49 AM
You need to make sure it's okay with the powers that be and this may be more appropriate for younger kids but I took bubbles and blew them and had the kids chase them - the bubbles distract them so they forget they are skating - their heads are up looking at the bubbles and their arms are up because they are reaching for the bubbles.

j

CanadianAdult
11-09-2007, 08:25 AM
If they are a new student, be sure they know how to fall down safely. That is the first thing we are required to teach. then they also have to learn how to get up safely!

I use a lot of nursery rhymes but I teach a younger age group. One of my more popular games, and I use it as a warm up is Five little monkeys.

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed
one fell down and bumped his head.....

The kids actually have to fall down, and surprisingly there are kids that don't know how to fall down on purpose. They've walked onto the ice and are afraid to fall so they don't move. The downside of this game is, as the instructor, I have to do the falling down and getting up too, and there's five monkeys. I wear kneepads when teaching.

Then I tell them that that's the only time that they're allowed to fall on the ice, and for the rest of the session, no falling down on purpose or lying on the ice.

I like using balloons to float and catch on the ice, but you have to make sure that none of the children have a latex allergy.

Skate@Delaware
11-12-2007, 08:48 AM
That's a good idea with the rhyme! I must try that!

I do have some boys that keep tossing themselves down on the ice-I have started putting them in "time-out" for doing this. They have to stand on the ice with their arms out and count to 20 (while staying up and not falling-if they fall they start again)....they dislike it but everytime they fall on purpose I make them.

It "cured" one boy...they don't like the other kids looking at them while they do this.

I also have some girls that are afraid to fall so this might do the trick for them.

Skittl1321
11-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I use a lot of nursery rhymes but I teach a younger age group. One of my more popular games, and I use it as a warm up is Five little monkeys.

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed
one fell down and bumped his head.....

The kids actually have to fall down, and surprisingly there are kids that don't know how to fall down on purpose.

My skaters LOVE this game. It's also a great way to teach 2 foot hops, because a lot of the scared ones will forget they are jumping if they are singing. (For SS1 we usually just bend our knees up and down, in SS2 we actually jump)

singerskates
11-13-2007, 01:49 AM
Other games; Besides "Simon Says", "What Time Is It Mister Wolf", "Green Light, Red Light" and "Follow The Leader", I've played "Musical Chairs" minus the chairs, "Safari Adventure" which requires our imagination to be child like in order to work, " Visit Mc Donald's" and "Going to the Playground" with the younger skaters ages 8 and under. I've also had a container of soap and bubble wand and had the kids follow me around the rink to bust my bubbles.

For older skaters, the last 10 minutes of a session I've played "Blob", "Tag" and "Soccer" by using over sized air filled soft balls and two sets of pylons for goal posts.

miraclegro
11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I am enjoying reading some new ideas. Thanks guys!

Some of the ones i've done (for the lower levels of course)

Shopping (push your cart - reach up high to get (whatever item - cereal for example,) reach down low, push the cart, (make up all sorts of things that can go on at the store - then get in car (get down in lower position) and drive home.

Cars - airplanes, etc.

Hokey pokey (and do swizzle in, swizzle out ) etc.

Song w/movements - head and shoulders, knees and toes (to get the knees bending)

and a favorite: get a swimming noodle and do the limbo (FORWARD bending knees ofcourse!)

Follow the leader for game time is fun, too!

vesperholly
11-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I brought markers to class today and the kids (Basic 1, 1st and 2nd graders) LOVED them. I said, "Let's make a mess!" and had them write their names on the ice, and then scrape it off. They all have trouble stopping, so this was a great way to practice it - no moaning or "nooo!" like when I say we're going to practice stopping.

They also have developed a particular fondness for what they've termed "fast skating", i.e. racing across the ice from end to end, with me chasing them (or rather, pretending to chase them and going, "No, wait! Come back! Oh, you won again!!"). I save it as a treat and only let them do it for the last 2 or 3 minutes of class.

Very cute class! :mrgreen:

dbny
11-17-2007, 11:19 PM
They also have developed a particular fondness for what they've termed "fast skating", i.e. racing across the ice from end to end, with me chasing them (or rather, pretending to chase them and going, "No, wait! Come back! Oh, you won again!!"). I save it as a treat and only let them do it for the last 2 or 3 minutes of class.

I do something similar, also at the end. I race the kids. If they follow the rules, I'm not allowed to pass them and they win. The rules are simple: pick up both knees, hands on table, look at the glass (not down at the ice). I'm behind them calling out things like "hands on table, Maggie; both knees Jack!". Then, when they all beat me, they are all champions and get imaginary gold medals. If we have time, I ask for another chance to beat them, which they love, because, of course, they win again. I've found that kids seem to always do their best when we race like this. If they are all doing well, then I make it harder by adding a stop at the end, or a two foot glide and dip in the middle.

Skate80
11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Hello, Here are a few games I play with the kids in my SS1 Classes

I play this game "make a snowman" with my class I use a marker to draw 3 snowballs, a hat a scarf, arms, eyes, mouth and a carrot nose etc. on separate places on the ice then the kids have to go get each part and bring it back to one spot and we then draw the snowman out. They really like this one.

I also play this other game with the class with beanie babies I call school. I draw a house, a bus and a school spread out from each other, then I place the beanie babies in the house. The kids then have to transport them from the house to the bus, then from the bus to the school, when we get to school we practice some elements and then when school is over the kids bring the beanie babies back to the bus and then back to the house.

Red light Green light but add in lights such as
Red light = stop
Green light = go
Yellow light = touch your toes
Blue light = wiggle backwards
Purple light = march in a circle/ turn around in place

w.w.west
11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Hello, Here are a few games I play with the kids in my SS1 Classes

I also play this other game with the class with beanie babies I call school. I draw a house, a bus and a school spread out from each other, then I place the beanie babies in the house. The kids then have to transport them from the house to the bus, then from the bus to the school, when we get to school we practice some elements and then when school is over the kids bring the beanie babies back to the bus and then back to the house.

I tried this one today with my tot class! It went over well. Only problem is that I'm not a very good artist....but I forewarned them that I am better at teaching skating than artwork!

Love this thread! I'm still a competitive skater but am also teaching group and private lessons now.

Another cute one to play with Basic 1's/higher level tots is "Cupcakes". You draw a circle for every skater. Have them stand inside it and ask "What is good on a cupcake?" Most say "frosting"! Then you proceed to tell them to "make" frosting by making snow with their blades by pushing out (i.e....snowplow stop). Then you can put the "sprinkles" on by either marching a lot or dancing on their toepicks.