View Full Version : Double Loop! Help!

figuregirl-127
10-28-2007, 01:34 PM
I started learing doubles about 3 weeks ago and so far have landed double salchow and double toe loop but i cant land double loop! It frustrates me SO MUCH! :evil:
When i go into it i use the 'fishhook' technique (going in a straight line then curving at the end right before going into the jump) and I can only get 1 1/2 rotations! I can get all of the rotations on both of my other double jumps, but I cannot learn double flip and lutz until I land double loop.

Any tips?

dbny
10-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Take a look at your take off tracing. You may be leaning out of the edge just before you jump and it will show as a zig in the tracing.

kander
10-30-2007, 12:49 AM
It's difficult to give any advice without actually seeing you try it. I would recommend studying the loop clips at the technical figure skating web site. You might pick something up.

Do coaches still hold back skaters over one jump? Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with working on a higher level jump without mastering the ones before it.

Kevin

kayskate
10-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Some tricks I have seen coaches try and that I used when I worked on the 2loop.

1. Do a multi-loop combo. Ex: do a combo of 2 single loops the go for the double as the third jump in the combo.

2. If you have other single jump combos that work well such as sal-loop (this one worked best for me), try a 2loop as the second jump. Ex: do a big single sal the jump up carrying momentum from the first jump and go for the 2loop.

3. Do a loop as part of an upright backspin. I have never used this method myself, but I have seen it work for other skaters. The skater does a centered upright bspin, then jumps up in a loop and lands still spinning. Once you get the single, go for a double. The pre-existing rotation of the spin will hekp you rotate the 2loop.

4. Use a preparatory footwork sequence that includes turns in your jump direction. The fluidity of the turns will contribute to rotating your jump.

5. Waltz-2loop combo works for some ppl too.

If I remember more, I will post later.

Kay

chowskates
10-30-2007, 09:15 AM
3. Do a loop as part of an upright backspin. I have never used this method myself, but I have seen it work for other skaters. The skater does a centered upright bspin, then jumps up in a loop and lands still spinning. Once you get the single, go for a double. The pre-existing rotation of the spin will hekp you rotate the 2loop.

My coach had me do this exercise, but I'm convinced that I can't get as many revs from this as from the regular loop take-off. However, it does help in "feeling" the position for the takeoff, and, for me, did wonders for the backspin (I did have a horrible backspin before!).

Alternatively, enter from three turns (RFI3-RBO3-RFI3-jump). My first double loop was landed that way, but unfortunately it hasn't repeated itself since.

chowskates
10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I started learing doubles about 3 weeks ago and so far have landed double salchow and double toe loop but i cant land double loop! It frustrates me SO MUCH! :evil:
When i go into it i use the 'fishhook' technique (going in a straight line then curving at the end right before going into the jump) and I can only get 1 1/2 rotations! I can get all of the rotations on both of my other double jumps, but I cannot learn double flip and lutz until I land double loop.

Any tips?

LOL, I was also at the stage you are at... and in June wrote about my "loop philosophy (http://chowskates.blogspot.com/2007/06/loop-philosophy.html)".

But as Kevin said, it is hard to give specific advise without seeing you try it.

weather999
10-30-2007, 02:23 PM
I personally don't like the fishhook technique-It will cause my body to move outside the circle, which causes me to pop, or fall. Perhaps try a gradual curve going into the jump, or try them on one of the circles for a guideline.

blackmanskating
10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
It's difficult to give any advice without actually seeing you try it. I would recommend studying the loop clips at the technical figure skating web site. You might pick something up.

Do coaches still hold back skaters over one jump? Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with working on a higher level jump without mastering the ones before it.

Kevin

I agree with you Kevin!!! And so does my coach. I'm working on double axel even though my double lutz sux!!!

BlackManSkating

ibreakhearts66
10-31-2007, 10:49 PM

Kevin

i agree to a certain extent. but i do think it is hard to go on to a double flip and double lutz if you cant get the full rotation on the double loop since the flip and lutz are basically the same jump

that being said, the best advice i can give for a double loop is to work on really nice, really big singles. after you do some of those, just go into the double loop as if you were doing a single, but at the top of the jump, pull in. also make sure you aren't trying to pre-rotate with your arms. even though it seems like swinging your arms would help with the rotation, it just keeps you from getting overside your right hip and makes it impossible to get the full rotation

Muskoka Skater
11-04-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know exactly what the problem is with your double loop because I can't see it but I'm an expert on this jump, it's my favourite double so I can give you some ways to help some problems you might have with the jump.

1. If you're having problems rotating the jump, then you should work on some other way to get into the jump besides the normal back cross cuts, doing it the normal way is good for some people but to others like me it's not. I recommend doing back three turns into it, skate forward then do a Mohawk the do it, or do the double loop after some other jump.

2. If your having trouble getting up into the air I recommend going faster into the jump and bending your knee more.

3. If your having trouble with the landing I recommend trying to pull out faster, try staying straighter up in the air, and don't just fall when you think you have no chance because most of the time you can save the jump.

I hope these ideas help!!