View Full Version : Beginner Skater

kiekiec
10-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Hey, I was interested in picking up ice skating. I'm 19 and thought it might be a good hobby to pick up. I tried looking for some skates but everything was so pricey. Can anyone tell me where I can get decent stuff for a decent price? And the differences between figure skating and ice dancing? It looks like a really beautiful sport but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Mrs Redboots
10-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Be warned - it is not only expensive, it's very addictive!

You might want to start out by taking a learn-to-skate class in a local ice rink. If you are in the UK, these are known as Skate-UK classes, but same difference. For these, hired skates will do very well for the first few weeks, and there may or may not be a shop at your rink where you can buy your first pair. Make sure they sell you figure skates, though, unless you want to play hockey!

There are a great many different kinds of ice skates, ranging from the purely recreational (which is what you want - you can buy these in a sports shop or from the shop at your rink) right up to boots suitable for world champions doing quadruple jumps. By the time you start needing a better-quality boot, you will know where to go to be fitted!

The basic skills for both ice dance and figure skating are exactly the same, and indeed, at the lower levels it's a great idea to take both disciplines, as they inform each other.

kayskate
10-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Are you taking lessons now? If not, try to sign up for a group lesson to see if you like it. Rent skates for while. Granted they are not very good, but they are a very small investment. Decent skates are pricey, but they are worth it if you are serious about getting involved in skating.

Kay

kimberley801
10-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the site!

I started skating again back in June (i'm 23). I agree with the others...it can become expensive and VERY addictive. Great form of exercise too. :yum:

As for skates, don't go buying the most expensive and stiff boot you can find. Your bank account and your feet will not be happy. I recommend going with a basic recreation skate. There are different skate brands that offer lots of variety for fit. Jackson and Reidell skates are typically found in sports shops and pro shops at rinks. I started in Jackson Glacier skates which is a very basic recreation skate. They served their purpose - but I'm having to upgrade already since I'm now starting jumps. I'm not familiar with Reidell skates much, but I know that Jackson Mystique or Artiste might be a good place to start. Someone in my LTS classes started with Artiste and did just fine. Make sure you get fitted by someone who knows figure skates. Boot sizes are different than shoe sizes. Example: I wear a size 7 shoe and just got fitted for a size 5.5 boot. While researching skates, go ahead and skate in rentals. If you find that you want to continue ice skating, then you can proceed with buying your own skates.
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be addicted like all of us very soon!

Muskoka Skater
10-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Figure Skating is a very beautiful sport and once you start you'll never want to stop. It may be stuff at times but in the end it's always worth it. I also think it would be good if you started learn-to-skate or to start taking lessons. Ice Dancing is Figure Skating, and if you mean by how Ice Dancing is different then pairs, ladies, and men. The difference is that in ice dance it is like ballroom but on ice. You get to do dance lifts, you also get to do spins, but no jumps at all. Hope this helps, anymore questions feel free to ask.

kiekiec
10-27-2007, 12:40 PM
When i get my own pair of skates, what name brands would you guys recommend? i want a semi good pair because i don't want to move through them too fast, like something that will take me through beginning to learn and learning jumps and etc. how much am i looking to spend?

airyfairy76
10-27-2007, 01:37 PM
As a rough guide, I started skating a year ago and wear Reidell skates. My coach tells me there is still all the support in them (even though I am dying to buy new skates!) and they will last me for a few months yet.

They cost me about £100 (and are Reidell Blue Ribbon). A friend bought the Risport RF4 - a very popular beginning skate in the UK - and they cost £120 I think.

A cheaper way is to see if there is a notice board at your rink - there is always adverts for skates for sale.

It might seem like a lot but it is so worth it. The same friend initially had a pair of cheaper skates bought for about £40, and within a couple of weeks they had crease marks round the ankle - a sign that they are breaking down - and gave her little support. The "recognised" brands will also have much better blades on them.

Muskoka Skater
10-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I recommend SP Teri's just because they have been my favourite skates so far. All the others I have had have broken down on me, but these have stayed tough and now I'm getting my 2nd year out of them.

froggy
10-27-2007, 08:30 PM
i started with reidell silver medallian and inexpensive blades, 2 years into it i switched to coronation ace blades, and year after (3 years since i began skating) which is like 2 weeks ago i now wear custom harlicks with coronation ace blades. the reidell skates were perfect to begin with, but over time they began to break down but they lasted a good 3 years. of course depending on how often you skate, and how you progress will determine how long skates will last.

good luck!

oh i forgot you wanted to know the price, the reidells with blades were about $240 I'm a junior size in skates (3 1/2 in skates, 5 1/2 regular shoes/sneakers), so a size above 4 in skates would be a bit more. if you want to start with the coronation ace blade that would add like about $180-$200 to the price tag, but i dont think you need an ace blade for just beginning. if you begin group lessons get rentels and then ask your group coach for his/her opinion.

emkayy
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I started in Riedell Blue Ribbons, which I don't really recommend because they barely took me through waltz jumps comfortably. I now have Klingbeils but definitely not recommended for a beginner. I think Riedells are wonderful for beginner and higher up skaters, can you go to a pro shop and get fitted? That's the best way to go about getting your own skates.

Mrs Redboots
10-28-2007, 01:03 PM
When i get my own pair of skates, what name brands would you guys recommend? i want a semi good pair because i don't want to move through them too fast, like something that will take me through beginning to learn and learning jumps and etc. how much am i looking to spend?
Big mistake! Get a very basic beginner boot and blade - the actual brand will depend largely on what the shop sells and on the shape of your feet. If you get a higher level, they will never feel comfortable, and you may well give up in despair long before you've had your money's worth out of them.

Truly, we do know what we're talking about!

kiekiec
10-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Big mistake! Get a very basic beginner boot and blade - the actual brand will depend largely on what the shop sells and on the shape of your feet. If you get a higher level, they will never feel comfortable, and you may well give up in despair long before you've had your money's worth out of them.

Truly, we do know what we're talking about!

well my feet are actually pretty wide, and the skate shops around my house mainly sell riedell which i heard run narrow. so what should i do?

Mrs Redboots
10-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Try on a pair and see how they feel!

kiekiec
10-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Does 50 dollars seem like the right amount to buy beginner skates?

Isk8NYC
10-28-2007, 01:32 PM
well my feet are actually pretty wide, and the skate shops around my house mainly sell riedell which i heard run narrow. so what should i do?Go to the skate shop and get measured for both length AND width. Make a note of the brand and both sizes. (ie. Riedell 9 C) If they don't have the right size and width in stock, ask them to order them for you. You'll have to wait for them to arrive, but they'll be the right size. Don't let them sell you a longer length if you need a wider skate - it's a waste of money. You'll have to replace them too soon.

Pro shops usually include recommendations, measuring, correct sizing, initial sharpening, and initial sharpening in their price. Many have excellent customer service, for example: my old pro shop stretched skates for free if you bought them there; the new pro shop charges $20. 8O Ask another adult skater for a recommendation.

For an adult, a GOOD used pair for $50 is okay; if they're new, they're too cheap to be useful.

RinkRobot
10-28-2007, 01:33 PM
$50 is about the price of a new pair of Riedell Yellow Ribbon Skates which are the most basic of the beginner skates. You'll want at least a Blue Ribbon but probably not higher then a Gold Medallion. All the Ribbons and Medallions can be ordered with blades.

As for the width, Riedell does run narrow but they can be ordered in wide. Don't get a bigger size boot just because of the width. A good cobbler should be able to stretch the ball area of the boot almost an entire size if a wide is too narrow.

Bunny Hop
10-28-2007, 01:43 PM
well my feet are actually pretty wide, and the skate shops around my house mainly sell riedell which i heard run narrow. so what should i do?

Don't dismiss the Riedells out of hand. I also have wide feet, and had heard the same thing, but I've just downgraded my skates, and have bought a pair of Riedells (Gold Medallion). I put them on in the shop and basically thought, "Oh my god, skates can feel comfortable." So I'd try them on and see how they feel before deciding they're too narrow. They come in different widths, so you might just need a wider boot.

And the reason I downgraded was because my previous boots (Gam 95s) were way too stiff for me. They were hindering my progress, as they always felt heavy and uncomfortable, and sometimes my feet hurt too much for me to do lessons properly. After almost 18 months skating in them they have no creases at all - so I'd say I've never properly broken them in. I've only had one lesson in my new boots, but my coach noticed an immediate difference.

I'm the perfect example of why you shouldn't get a stiffer boot than you need (though I think the fitter thought they were okay at the time <shrug>).

Mrs Redboots
10-28-2007, 04:50 PM
And the reason I downgraded was because my previous boots (Gam 95s) were way too stiff for me. They were hindering my progress, as they always felt heavy and uncomfortable, and sometimes my feet hurt too much for me to do lessons properly. After almost 18 months skating in them they have no creases at all - so I'd say I've never properly broken them in. I've only had one lesson in my new boots, but my coach noticed an immediate difference.

I'm the perfect example of why you shouldn't get a stiffer boot than you need (though I think the fitter thought they were okay at the time <shrug>).

Goodness, yes - Husband has only just gone up to 95s (and isn't 100% certain this was a wise move, although our fitter recommended it), and I'm still in 75s and plan to stay in them!

Sessy
10-28-2007, 04:59 PM
They cost me about £100 (and are Reidell Blue Ribbon). A friend bought the Risport RF4 - a very popular beginning skate in the UK - and they cost £120 I think.

I'd be cautious with RF4 for beginners, they're pretty hard stuff. They're supposed to hold up for axels.

kiekiec
10-28-2007, 07:31 PM
what do you guys mean when the boot is stiff? and why is it bad for beginners?

Isk8NYC
10-28-2007, 07:42 PM
You want support, not iron maidens that prevent you from moving.
Good skates have support built into the boots, which helps you stay upright and protect you from injury.
If you've tried rentals, you've probably felt your ankles bend and had trouble standing upright on the blades. That's what "weak" boots feel like.

kiekiec
10-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm going out on tuesday to try on some skates at the pro shop and am planning on getting either the white ribbon from riedell or the red ribbon. its a 50 dollar difference and as a beginner im not sure im going to notice much difference at all. so is it worth it for me to get the more expensive one? or should i just stick to the 50 dollar white ribbon skates? does anyone know alot about riedell that can help me?

Isk8NYC
10-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Go for the Blue Ribbons if they have it - I assume you're a full-grown 19 year old. Unless you're very small and very thin, the White and Red ribbon skates won't last you more than a few months.

RinkRobot
10-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm going out on tuesday to try on some skates at the pro shop and am planning on getting either the white ribbon from riedell or the red ribbon. its a 50 dollar difference and as a beginner im not sure im going to notice much difference at all. so is it worth it for me to get the more expensive one? or should i just stick to the 50 dollar white ribbon skates? does anyone know alot about riedell that can help me?

I work in my rink's proshop fitting people for skates and we carry mostly Riedells. (I think we have only one pair of Jacksons and a couple of Risports in stock.) The white ribbons have very little padding and aren't meant to carry the weight of an adult skater; they break down very quickly. The red ribbons are a little better and come with a better blade, the spiral instead of the GR4, but they too would probably break down within a few months.

If you came into my shop, I would probably recommend the Bronze Medallion boot with the Excel or MK21blade. You can purchase the boot and blade together as a set and the blades come mounted. The Bronze Medallion is the first boot to come with a compressed leather sole, and the current model has a special stitch design on the outside ball area that is softer and more comfortable for the side of the foot that generally pushes the most against the skate. They are a little pricey, just under $250, but they would last all through Basics 1-8 or Adult 1-4 and a little beyond.

If money is an issue, the Blue Ribbon retails around $135 and comes standard with a Sapphire blade. The sole is a type of plastic and the brown coating can rub off onto your boot if your feet rub together so you might want to invest in boot covers or over-the-boot tights. It is a good beginner skate and can handle the weight of an adult. However, the boot and blade aren't really designed to handle most of the single jumps on an adult. They are recommended mostly for the basic skills levels.You can also check out the riedell site http://www.riedellskates.com/fit/boots.html They have a boot recommendation chart that might help.

Make sure that they measure both feet for the length and width. If they have a few pairs around your size but not in the model you want, go ahead and try them on and see what fits you best. If one size fits right in the length but not the width, then you know to order a wide. Skates should feel snug but not hurt or pinch. Your heel should not come off the bottom of the skate when you walk. Any riedell skate you get should be heat-moldable for a more personal fit if you need it. Your proshop should be able to help you with that.

kiekiec
10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
The blue ribbons wont be too advanced for me?

Skittl1321
10-29-2007, 02:48 PM
The blue ribbons wont be too advanced for me?

No, the blue ribbon is a good skate for a beginner adult. The "recommendation" levels are generally based on children- who weigh much less, and therefore put a lot less stress on their boots. I wouldn't put a beginner child in it, but a beginner adult it would be good. I don't think you'd be able to do even beginner freestyle on it though.

I would, if I had the money, start with the bronze medallion- so I could keep the same skates into beginning freestyle.

http://www.riedellskates.com/fit/rec_skate.pdf is a nice guide. I assume they are treating Basic 6 as the highest LTS level, but the levels go to Basic 8 before Freestyle 1. I would keep in mind though, that these recommendations are probably for someone who weighs a less, as most skaters are children.

isakswings
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM

I've been looking for skates for myself and I am finding I will have to spend around 100 to get a decent pair of skates(new). JMO.

isakswings
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM

I would buy the Blue Ribbons. My daughter's 1st skates were Blue Ribbons. I know the price is higher, but it will be worth it if you plan to keep skating. My daughter just moved into Bronze Medallions. She is only 9 and weighs 50 pounds, so take my reply for what it is worth. I have been looking for skates for myself and the Blue Ribbon is the model I am wantin to buy...

Angie

GordonSk8erBoi
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM

It would help to know gender and rough weight/body size. That makes a big difference.

doubletoe
10-29-2007, 04:39 PM
I would buy the Blue Ribbons. My daughter's 1st skates were Blue Ribbons. I know the price is higher, but it will be worth it if you plan to keep skating. My daughter just moved into Bronze Medallions. She is only 9 and weighs 50 pounds, so take my reply for what it is worth. I have been looking for skates for myself and the Blue Ribbon is the model I am wantin to buy...

Angie

If your daughter weighs 50 pounds, wouldn't you think the Blue Ribbons would feel as stiff on her feet as the Bronze Medallions would feel on your feet, considering you probably weigh twice as much and exert twice as much pressure on the boot with every stroke?

blackmanskating
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM

My feet are wide too. My suggestion would be to try a pair of Jacksons. I've been wearing them ever since I got fitted for them. They are particularly good if you have wide feet, like me.

BlackManSkating

isakswings
10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
If your daughter weighs 50 pounds, wouldn't you think the Blue Ribbons would feel as stiff on her feet as the Bronze Medallions would feel on your feet, considering you probably weigh twice as much and exert twice as much pressure on the boot with every stroke?

I don't know. I had her fit for skates a couple of weeks ago and it was suggested we move her into the Bronze Medallions. She just outgrew her Blue Ribbon skates and was needing new skates, so we upgraded. She needed a better blade too. She is now in Basic 5 and will begin private lessons as soon as I can get her into them. SO, for her, the need for a better blade and boot was necessary. For me, I am basically looking for a recreational skate to take a few lessons with and to use when we skate as a family. I definately weigh more then my daughter... but I think for myself, the Blue Ribbon would serve me well. If I end up skating more frequently, I will upgrade my own boot.

Oh and I know I could use rental skates, but the rental skates at the rink my daughter skates at, are horrible. I can typically hold my own when skating and in those, I fall or my feet hurt so bad, I have to remove them. I feel bad that my daughter wore them for her 1st 2 months of lessons, that is how bad they hurt my feet! :-) I had my own skates at one time, but over the years, they have been misplaced during our moves.

edited for spelling

Skittl1321
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh and I know I could use rental skates, but the rental skates at the rink my daughter skates at, are horrible. I can typically hold my own when skating and in those, I fall or my feet hurt so bad, I have to remove them. I feel bad that my daughter wore them for her 1st 2 months of lessons, that is how bad they hurt my feet! :-) I had my own skates at one time, but over the years, they have been misplaced during our moves.

edited for spelling

I don't think anyone on this board recommends using the rental skates :)

Just so you know- if you are just doing rec skating a lower level skate isn't going to be horrible. I did Basic 1-6 in a skate from Land's End. It wasn't as floppy as rentals, but the support and blade were not that of a "real" skate. I could do a waltz jump in them, but the toe pick prevented me from doing bunny hops.

If you don't have the money, don't let us talk you up. But if you do- a good skate with the appropriate amount of support will help your skating.

(Someone was saying somethign to me about how she coudln't justify buying good skates because "the shoe doesn't make the athlete", and she's right. Buying a $500 skate isn't going to make you any better. But having the wrong skate could prevent you from being as good as you can be.)

isakswings
10-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't think anyone on this board recommends using the rental skates :)

Just so you know- if you are just doing rec skating a lower level skate isn't going to be horrible. I did Basic 1-6 in a skate from Land's End. It wasn't as floppy as rentals, but the support and blade were not that of a "real" skate. I could do a waltz jump in them, but the toe pick prevented me from doing bunny hops."

Thanks! I agree about the lower level skates being OK. I am allowing myself to spend around 100 for my own skates. So, I think I should be able to find a nice beginner skate for that. I've definately learned from my daughter' coaches and from other parents at the rink, not to buy a boot that will be too stiff for the person learning. I have a friend at church who used to skate competitively, and she has also drilled this into my head. That's part of the reason we went with a Bronze Medallion for my daughter this time. We'll re-evaluate her skates when she outgrows this new pair. When she does that, we will look into what she will need then, based on skill level and how often she is skating. :-)

For me, my skating will likely be mostly recreational. I am thinking of taking the adult classes since I will be at the rink anyway and I love skating! I have 2 kids in lessons right now, so I may as well join them! I took a 6 week session when I was 19 and LOVED it and went skating regularly with my friend. It's a blast!

doubletoe
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't know. I had her fit for skates a couple of weeks ago and it was suggested we move her into the Bronze Medallions. She just outgrew her Blue Ribbon skates and was needing new skates, so we upgraded. She needed a better blade too. She is now in Basic 5 and will begin private lessons as soon as I can get her into them. SO, for her, the need for a better blade and boot was necessary. For me, I am basically looking for a recreational skate to take a few lessons with and to use when we skate as a family. I definately weigh more then my daughter... but I think for myself, the Blue Ribbon would serve me well. If I end up skating more frequently, I will upgrade my own boot.

edited for spelling

I can see how that could work if you are only going to skate recreationally and don't plan on doing jumps. The jump vs. no-jump factor is probably just as important as body weight. :)

Skittl1321
10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
For me, my skating will likely be mostly recreational. I am thinking of taking the adult classes since I will be at the rink anyway and I love skating! I have 2 kids in lessons right now, so I may as well join them! I took a 6 week session when I was 19 and LOVED it and went skating regularly with my friend. It's a blast!

Just be prepared to be sucked in and have to replace your skates. If you somehow managed to stay a "skate around the rink, sometimes going backwards" skater- a $100 skate should be okay, but it's not going to be the best if you want to do more than that (even "simple" things like 3 turns can be hindered by a too low level blade)

isakswings
10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I can see how that could work if you are only going to skate recreationally and don't plan on doing jumps. The jump vs. no-jump factor is probably just as important as body weight. :)

Yup! Right now, it's my daughter's skates I worry the most about. If I should decide to do more, then I will look into different skates for me. :-)

isakswings
10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Just be prepared to be sucked in and have to replace your skates. If you somehow managed to stay a "skate around the rink, sometimes going backwards" skater- a $100 skate should be okay, but it's not going to be the best if you want to do more than that (even "simple" things like 3 turns can be hindered by a too low level blade)

If I do have to replace them, that's ok. I figure I would rather spend a little now and upgrade later, if I need to. In fact, I see nice skates posted for sale on th bulletin board at the rink, so maybe I will get lucky and find something like that, should I continue. I can already skate backwards... eek. It's been awhile though.

As for the blade, that is the exact reason the guy who fitted my daughter, told me to go with a MK 21 or Wilson Excel blade for her. I can't remember how he stated it, but he said that the blade that was on her old skates(Spiral), was not good for spins and can actually make them more wobbly. I am anxious to see how she will do when she tries out her new skates this week!

My son(6) is in a pair of used hockey skates, since he is taking "hockey" lessons. Fun, fun!

isakswings
10-29-2007, 07:51 PM

If I do have to replace them, that's ok. I figure I would rather spend a little now and upgrade later, if I need to. In fact, I see nice skates posted for sale on th bulletin board at the rink, so maybe I will get lucky and find something like that, should I continue. I can already skate backwards... eek. It's been awhile though. I used to know how to do a basic spin too. Don't ask me which one though! I can't remember how to do it at all now and I am a lot heavier then I was then(pre-kids)!

As for the blade, that is the exact reason the guy who fitted my daughter, told me to go with a MK 21 or Wilson Excel blade for her. I can't remember how he stated it, but he said that the blade that was on her old skates(Spiral), was not good for spins and can actually make them more wobbly. I am anxious to see how she will do when she tries out her new skates this week!

My son(6) is in a pair of used hockey skates, since he is taking "hockey" lessons. Fun, fun!

kiekiec
10-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm about 5'2, female, and weigh about 120-125ish, and i just want to learn basic jumps and spins not trying to compete or anything. and i dont know if this helps, but i'm asian and have the petite kind of body shape

Sessy
10-30-2007, 03:35 AM
Well, to learn the basic jumps you'd need skates at over 100 actually, over here the most popular skate to do that on is Risport RF4 which is around 200 euro, which is over 250 US Dollar (I'm not sure on the most current exchange rate). That's with blades though, although the blades are often upgraded to Coronation Ace once you get somewhere around lutz-ish, but don't worry, that's far away. Etoile is the one under RF4, it's somewhat cheaper, but it didn't hold my lutzes (weighing about 135 pounds).

I'm not sure if a person who's not jumping *at all* really should get rf4 though, I think they'd be too hard to break in and also unnessesary torture for your feet.

Skittl1321
10-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Well, I'm about 5'2, female, and weigh about 120-125ish, and i just want to learn basic jumps and spins not trying to compete or anything. and i dont know if this helps, but i'm asian and have the petite kind of body shape

I almost exactly your size- 5'0", same weight, petite build and have found the Jackson Competitor to be perfect. It isn't too stiff at all, the break in process was about a month (skating only an hour a week), and after a year of use (up to 6 hours a week) they don't show sign of wear- so they should last me awhile. (Of course I have other problems with them- the toe box is too narrow...)

I don't know what the equivelent riedell is- but I would bet it's at least the Bronze Medallion- because of the pressed leather sole.

The other bonus to the Jackson Competitor- the Mirage blade is good for entry level freestyle- with a toe pick big enough that you can do toe jumps, and a good rocker for spins. I was AMAZED how good my spins got when I got this skate. (It was $250).

(I'm a basic freestyle skater- I don't ever plan to have an axel, and even the jumps I'm "good" at are pathetic. I do enjoy moves in the field though- so a rec. skate wouldn't work for me)

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2007, 01:51 PM

If the Blue Ribbons that people are recommending come with a removable blade (not riveted on), that shouldn't be a problem; my first pair of skates came with very basic blades which I upgraded, after a year, to Coronation Aces. Which did make a huge difference, but I wouldn't have been ready for them any earlier.

airyfairy76
10-30-2007, 02:54 PM
If the Blue Ribbons that people are recommending come with a removable blade (not riveted on), that shouldn't be a problem; my first pair of skates came with very basic blades which I upgraded, after a year, to Coronation Aces. Which did make a huge difference, but I wouldn't have been ready for them any earlier.

The Riedell Blue Ribbon comes with a removable blade - Wilson Excel.

Isk8NYC
10-30-2007, 03:18 PM
The Riedell Blue Ribbon comes with a removable blade - Wilson Excel.
While the Excel blade is attached to the Blue Ribbon skate with screws, it's a little difficult to find a pro shop willing to remove and install another blade on that skate because the sole is made entirely of PVC plastic.

Most pro shops recommend against swapping blades on plastic-soled skates.
They can't plug and redrill new holes for different blades. The screws tend to come loose often once they've been removed. Plus, they have to fasten the screws by hand; using an electric screwdriver increases the risk of stripping the screw holes.

The PVC vs. Leather sole is the major difference between the Ribbon and the Medallion series. It's also why the Medallions are more expensive - the materials are of a better quality and allow more potential for the future.

My daughters used Bronze Medallions for over 2 years. I was satisfied with them, but as others have said, the stock blade wasn't terribly well-made.

kiekiec
10-30-2007, 03:46 PM
hmm, not sure im willing to spend almost 300 on my first pair of skates.

blackmanskating
10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
hmm, not sure im willing to spend almost 300 on my first pair of skates.

I spent $450 on my first pair of skates, but I knew that I was going to skate for a long time to come. And I broke them down in a year. Don't splurge on skates unless you know that you will be on the ice for a long time. I figured, "Hey I'm worth it so why not??"

BlackManSkating

Sessy
10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
In that case, you might want to look for a good pair of used skates. Most of our competition group kids are skating on used skates, and they're doing doubles, so there's no reason GOOD used skates wouldn't be good enough for you. Plus-point of used skates: they're already broken in, and that might be a blessing from heaven.
Bad point: you don't have the luxury of an experienced skate shop to guide you in the choice of the brand, model and size, which all influences how a skate fits. Also you have to be careful not to buy broken down skates or skates which aren't the right type for you.

Another thing taking a high flight here in the Netherlands is "skate lease". This means you can get (used) skates from a professional shop for a season, at somewhere around 40% of newvalue. During the season, if for some reason the size isn't right (anymore, cuz of growing kids, for example), you can change to a different pair of the same type (and presumably you could change to a different type too if you wanted). After the end of the 6-month season you return the skates to the shop.
Our rink doesn't have such a programme, but the skating club has a skate sale twice a year and what happens is that most skates are passed down from the older kids who have grown out of them to the younger kids. The club pays attention to the quality of skates sold and how they fit, unfortunately, choice is limited.
You might wanna look around if there are any skate exchange programmes like leasing and the like over where you live or nearby. At least you'd get a year to figure out if you're addicted to skating or not, and if yes, what kind of skate you'd like (or not like).

With skating though, well, I had bad blades and I couldn't figure out why on earth I couldn't learn to spin, I actually got myself injured badly twice, until I found out the blades weren't mounted properly. I mean, it's kinda worth it to invest in the material. Not too much though, you don't want boots too stiff or blades too expensive, but some investment will definately pay off in the progress you'll make. That's given that you really like skating. If you find out after a year that you hate it, well, then it doesn't of course pay off.

hepcat
10-30-2007, 05:32 PM
You haven't mentioned online shopping, but I just wanted to point out just in case you're thinking of it, make sure you try on skates before just picking a size and model off a website. You can usually return a web order but you have to return them unsharpened, which means you can't really try them out other than to lace them up in your living room. It really helps to try on a few different brands because they do feel so different.

I started in Blue Ribbons but I will never forget the feeling of when I tried on Jacksons for the first time. There was absolutely no pain even though they fit snugly. They just fit my foot so much better than the Riedells. I had the Riedells punched out a little in a few places but it was always an awkward fit for me.

kiekiec
10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
which jackson's (mystique, artiste, classique) would compare to the riedells blue ribbon or bronze medallion?

hannahuk
10-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Just thought I would throw my thoughts in after reading this!
I was also cautious when I first started Skate UK lessons and bought a cheap pair at £60 - 5 months later, one of the lame plastic lace hooks has broken and the heel is starting to split from the base of the boot!

I have now just bought some Riedell gold medallion 300. (I requested this make especially) I went and got them fitted properly (I have quite large feet for a girl UK size 8 - so US size 10!) Can't say too much about them yet as not broken them in, so still quite uncomfortable but I appreciate the greater quality and hope that once I'm used to them they will last me a long time!

My advice if possible go to someone who knows skates, especially if like the person I went to they can help you with fit and choice, and also he had a gadget that expanded the boot slightly around the toes, just stretched the material slightly as I have wide feet. This was a big help!!

I can understand you being cautious and not wanting to pay alot for your first pair, but I think you get what you pay for. If you want good quality then spend a bit more! But you don't need to fork out too much - there are some good quality beginner/recreational skates.

Rental skates are awful!

RNsk8r
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Just my take on this issue. I started at the same age (though somewhat larger in size) with beginning group lessons, though with the mindset that I was going to stick with it for a while. I bought a used, well broken in, pair of Harlick High testers (afaik) with MK professional blades for $150. They fit pretty well, and lasted me for 9 months through ISI basic levels and beginning freeskate levels until they were totally dead. The blades lasted for another year after that. I really liked having a higher level boot without the pain of breaking in a higher level skate and I think it really helped my progress initially. Of course I sprained my ankle right before I got my new boots, but hey it happens. They were very dead by that point. That being said, if you cant find a decent pair of used skates, start with a low level freestyle boot and a decent blade, not a recreational skate, particularly if you are planning on staying with skating for a while.

BatikatII
10-30-2007, 07:19 PM
If you are not totally sure you'll stick with skating then I'd suggest buying a used pair in a skate sale. The beauty of this method is that you will pay way less than market value for a good pair of broken in skates and when you decide to upgrade you can resell for close to what you paid for them if you've not broken them down too much. With large feet you will have less choice though - unless maybe you are happy to go with men's skates (black) although as fewer boys skate again it limits the choice.

if your local rink has a skate sale you may even be able to try them on on the ice before you buy and if you are lucky the person manning the stall will have some knowledge of skates and fitting. If they arent' so good then sell them on at next skate sale and try something else. My first pair of used skates cost me just £40 including a skate bag and was worth probably around £150 at the time.

Upgrading the blades after a year or so made a huge difference to my skating but by then I was willing to pay the money as I knew I was hooked!:D

kiekiec
10-30-2007, 07:54 PM
does anyone where/when there are skate sales around orange county, california? i had originally bought a pair of used omnitrade celebrity skates size 7 from this lady for 10 dollars, and when they put them on and laced them they felt fine, but when i went on the ice they hurt sooo bad! esp near my toes, which lead me to think she probablly bought a narrow boot.

Skittl1321
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
which jackson's (mystique, artiste, classique) would compare to the riedells blue ribbon or bronze medallion?

For an adult, I wouldn't recommend a jackson below a freestyle (which is a much lower level than the name implies) I'd say it is close to the bronze medallion.

kiekiec
10-30-2007, 09:31 PM
sooo confused! I know i should go to a skate shop to get fitted but i really want to have in mind a certain skate to get instead of going there and just getting whatever the guy tells me to get and paying alot more than i have to!

Isk8NYC
10-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Good pro shops do not gouge you for money. I always recommend using a good pro shop to my skating students and I take my own kids to a reliable shop for their skates. I have no vested interest in anyone going to any pro shop; I don't get a commission or any discount as a result.

Here's the cost of buying from a pro shop:

Skate cost, which INCLUDES: measuring, recommending, fitting, 1st sharpening, adjustments, and an ongoing relationship with the store.
Heat molding of appropriate skates, with supervision to ensure correct process.
Some pro shops offer discounts on future services for skates purchased at their store.
My regular shop stretches my kids' skates for free and gives us discounts on sharpenings.
They've also replaced damaged eyelets and hooks for my students, at no charge, and with a sympathetic smile for the Dad who closed the trunk lid on the skates.

Here's the cost of buying over the internet:

Skate cost PLUS:
YOU have to decide what to buy without trying the skates on
YOU have to figure out what size to buy and you need to get it right the 1st time.
YOU have to bake your skates in order to get them heat-molded, or pay the local pro shop for the service.
shipping and handling
Additional shipping and handling for adjustments/corrections (if allowed)
1st sharpening is often an additional charge or you have to pay the local pro shop for the service.
Future services are charged as needed, plus shipping and handling.

I've priced out my kids' skates every year and the pro shop choice is always within $10 total of the mail order/internet option. It saves me a lot of hassles and aggravation - I've had to have blades adjusted, defects corrected, skates exchanged, eyelets/hooks replaced, and skates stretched. It's much easier to walk into the pro shop and talk to a friendly businessman/businesswoman than it is to spend hours on the phone telling my tale of woe to three different people and boxing skates to be mailed back for corrections.

Go to the pro shop and at least try on some skates. See what they recommend, let them measure you, and make a note of the size and width. It's a good starting point at the least.

kiekiec
10-31-2007, 01:49 AM
do they made new models of skates every year? and if they do does anyone know how i can find out when the 2008's come out? thanks!

Sessy
10-31-2007, 03:13 AM
They already have, the skate season starts around september-ish (at least, that's when the stores stock the new skates around here).

But generally, no, new models aren't made every year (at least, not in every strength). For example, Risport's Super Cristallo from 12 years ago or so is the Risport RF2 or RF3 nowadays, without many changes. The Risport Laser from back then is the RF4, and frankly I'm not seeing any difference with RF4 except for a different color heel.
So in 12 years' time, they changed their skate like once, and that was mostly re-naming it and dying some things an other color.

And sure, almost every skate brand will introduce a new model every year, or a new type, or a new color, but that will often be not the skate you need.

I think it's best to go to the shop with an open mind, find out what they advise, and then specifically ask if that would be a good skate for you ;)
there's just too many brands out there, with too many models. and every brand has their own specific form of foot they are meant for!

Thin-Ice
10-31-2007, 03:22 AM
does anyone where/when there are skate sales around orange county, california? i had originally bought a pair of used omnitrade celebrity skates size 7 from this lady for 10 dollars, and when they put them on and laced them they felt fine, but when i went on the ice they hurt sooo bad! esp near my toes, which lead me to think she probablly bought a narrow boot.

There's a good skate shop very near Anaheim Ice. I can't remember the name of it (I visited there during a competition and was very impressed by the staff's interest in customer service). If you call Anaheim Ice and ask the skating school director I'm sure s/he can tell you the name of the place. It's literally within walking distance of the rink. They seemed to have a wide variety of brands and different types available in each model, as well as most sizes in most of those brands and skate models.

I don't want this to sound condescending, but since you're new to skating, I think you would be better off telling someone who knows more about skates and the different brands and models within each brand what you want to accomplish and let them decide what skate would work best for you and YOUR feet. If you go in deciding you want for example Jackson Mystiques... you're likely to walk out with that... and not know if there are other options that might suit you better. If I were you, I would say you're just getting into skating, aren't sure you will stick with it and say what you would like to be able to accomplish (i.e. want to eventually jump or dance or just stroke around forwards and backwards), have a budget of "about $XXX) and then let the fitter measure your fit and tell you what would probably suit your needs. And just because they fit you THAT day, doesn't mean you have to buy them. You can take your time, since this is a big investment not only financially, but also in your skating potential. After all, skates and blades are really the only equipment you need to start skating.

Have you taken any group lessons? If so, you could talk with your instructor and say you think you're going to stick with the sport and are considering buying your own skates. Then see what the coach recommends. They've seen lots of people who come in just wanting to try skating, and either decide it's not for them or being infected with the skating bug and later can't imagine life without ice.

Oh, and generally speaking bootmakers update their models when there are new improvements to be made, not on a calendar basis like cars.

Good luck!

Oh, I just remembered: the name of the skate shop is USASkates.

doubletoe
10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
There's a good skate shop very near Anaheim Ice. I can't remember the name of it (I visited there during a competition and was very impressed by the staff's interest in customer service). If you call Anaheim Ice and ask the skating school director I'm sure s/he can tell you the name of the place. It's literally within walking distance of the rink. They seemed to have a wide variety of brands and different types available in each model, as well as most sizes in most of those brands and skate models.

Oh, I just remembered: the name of the skate shop is USASkates.

Yes, everyone I know down in OC says good things about USA Skates! And I agree that you probably won't get gouged by buying the boot the pro shop recommends. Unlike car salesmen, skate shop pros tend to sell you the boot that is appropriate for your foot shape and level of skating because they know you will be in pain otherwise, and they depend on their reputation and repeat business.

kiekiec
10-31-2007, 01:27 PM
besides jacksons and riedells, are there any other name brands i should look out for when shopping for my first pair?

Skittl1321
10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
besides jacksons and riedells, are there any other name brands i should look out for when shopping for my first pair?

There are lots of other good name brands- but I have never heard of entry level skates in these brands. But lots of skaters like SP Teri, Harlick, Graf. I'm sure there are others as well.

Mrs Redboots
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
sooo confused! I know i should go to a skate shop to get fitted but i really want to have in mind a certain skate to get instead of going there and just getting whatever the guy tells me to get and paying alot more than i have to!
The best skate fitters have been skaters themselves and know exactly what to recommend. As you are a beginner, they will make sure they sell you a suitable boot and blade for your level. The brand is pretty much irrelevant. After all, they want you to enjoy skating so much that you'll carry on buying boots and blades from them after your first pair has worn out!

Sessy
10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
An entry level Graf is the Graf Davos (definately don't go for the Bolero, that's for the occasional lake skater only) also immensely popular at our rink, almost everybody's had it, but this boot has very bad blades, and don't offer enough support to *really* jump seriously. You can do a few salchows and toeloops on it, but you should really upgrade once you get to that. Also for the price of the Graf Davos you can get a better Jacksons boot, at least, with better blades.

If you're skating at a level that you can't really go backwards yet, can't do crossovers and have trouble stopping, you might get a Graf Davos, even a used pair. Also the Libra and the ProStar aren't that bad if you're at a REALLY low skating level right now. Just keep in mind that you will need to upgrade as soon as you start spinning and jumping.

Sessy
10-31-2007, 03:18 PM

Edea, Graf, Sp Teri, Risport, Wifa, Harlick

kiekiec
11-01-2007, 01:24 AM
very excited to get my first pair of skates!!! just trying to find a way to get the money though!

Sessy
11-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Night shifts..

kimberley801
11-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Night shifts..

HAHAHAHA! As a nurse I totally understand that one. Working 1AM-7AM on a friday or saturday definitely pays off!!!

As for saving up for skates...work a little extra if you can, save all your extra change, and maybe ask for an early christmas/holiday present from family! :D

kiekiec
11-01-2007, 09:02 PM
jackson freestyle or riedells bronze medallion?

Skittl1321
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
jackson freestyle or riedells bronze medallion?

Both are good- it's going to depend on which feels better on your foot!

Sessy
11-02-2007, 04:11 AM
HAHAHAHA! As a nurse I totally understand that one. Working 1AM-7AM on a friday or saturday definitely pays off!!!

LOL I used to have a job taking inventory (well, technically I still do as it's freelance, but right now I don't want to work for several reasons) where you'd start like at 3 or 4 in the morning on the saturday-sunday night, and work till late evening on that sunday. 3 days like that paid my 500+ dollar skates. :mrgreen:

kiekiec
11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
when skating, do you always wear tights? or do you only wear tights if you have a dress on? cause i usually skate in pants and wear socks. and is there any way i can make my own practice dresses ?

Skittl1321
11-02-2007, 02:03 PM
when skating, do you always wear tights? or do you only wear tights if you have a dress on? cause i usually skate in pants and wear socks. and is there any way i can make my own practice dresses ?

I actually skate barefoot, so I usually don't wear tights at all since I skate in pants. If I wear a dress, then I wear footless tights. Thin socks is a norm for many-(some even wear thin socks over tights.) Another option is to wear knee highs with your pants. That way it's the "feel" of tights, but without having to wear tights.

Yse, you can make your own dresses. There are great sewing patterns by Kwik Sew (I have one but haven't tried yet) and Jalie. Also check out specialtysportswear.com if you have some money to burn (gorgeous patterns, kind of expensive IMO- probably worth it though).

Sessy
11-03-2007, 08:24 AM

No, I usually wear VERY stretch jeans (stretch enough to pull my foot over my head) with underneath them off-the-rack normal tights or leggins, when I go right after class. Most of the adult skaters at our rink skate in yoga/jazz ballet pants with tights underneath, in running tights or slacks. My mom skates in bicycle tights because of the extra padding on the bum.

For beginners, at our rink acceptable skating wear means:
- looks civil
- not restrictive of your natural flexibility (most jeans will be unacceptable for this reason, I only stopped getting remarks for my jeans once I proved they were very stretch).
- not too wide (wide shirts, pullovers, pants aren't acceptable because then the coach can't see what your body is doing)
- no wide pants or too long pants so you don't catch your blades in your pants, safety reason
- no skirts over knee length, no tight skirts (actually this one isn't in the rules but people who come dressed like that change before skating)

If you're interested in sewing, check out my page: www.geocities.com/sessy_liz/bootcovers
it's simple but I add things over time.

If you're not feeling up for making a whole skating dress just yet, buy one off-the-rack (or even a shirt and shirt) and put hotpants under it in a matching color.

crayonskater
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Couple thoughts:

I started in a pair of Jackson Mystiques. I am not a large adult (5'5'', 130), but I managed to break down that pair very quickly skating about 6-8 hours a week and moved into Jackson Freestyles about a year later. (I generate a lot of power for a beginner.)

That said, I think they were a good true beginner skate. The blade wasn't great, but I was able to learn the basics, and it wasn't very expensive (around $80.) And they were comfortable, which was good when learning the basics.

isakswings
11-04-2007, 04:32 PM
"My daughters used Bronze Medallions for over 2 years. I was satisfied with them, but as others have said, the stock blade wasn't terribly well-made"

My daughter seems to like her Bronze Medallion skates. Even I noticed a difference in how she skates with the MK 21 blades instead of the blade(ISE Spiral) that is on her old Blue Ribbon skates. If my daughter does well in the Bronze Medallions, I will buy her the same boots next yr. :-)

Angie

Isk8NYC
11-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Oh, the Bronze Medallion blades are okay on the business end, but they've got a rough finish and spot-welds at the stanchions. Definitely a step up from the Blue Ribbons, but not as finished as the stock blades of the Jackson Freestyles they use now. (Bronze Medallions also didn't hold the sharpenings as long as the Freestyles.)

They were fine for the levels they skated at, but once they started working on higher-level jumps and spins, it was time to move them up.

stardust skies
11-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Yes, everyone I know down in OC says good things about USA Skates! And I agree that you probably won't get gouged by buying the boot the pro shop recommends. Unlike car salesmen, skate shop pros tend to sell you the boot that is appropriate for your foot shape and level of skating because they know you will be in pain otherwise, and they depend on their reputation and repeat business.

Well- every pro shop has a brand they push. USA Skates pushes Harlick. The Pro Shop accross the street inside the ice arena pushes Grafs. El Segundo pushes Riedell. The pro shop inside the Culver City rink pushes SP Teri.

So it's a good idea to know what brand you want BEFORE going to the shop, because most of the time pro shops won't even let you try the brand you want, they will tell you how much better the brand they're pushing is.

If you have a wide foot, they'll recommend customs before offering to order you a wider boot half the time, as well.

With that said, I don't think you could find a decent pair of new skates that'll last you over 6 months and be comfortable for under $250 dollars. Riedells are definitely going to be the best beginner boots for the money, as well, and IMHO I never found that they run narrow, though I hear everyone say that, too. I find Grafs to run narrow and I hear they're for wide feet though, so go figure.

Sessy
11-05-2007, 02:08 AM
No I agree with the narrow thing on Grafs, Risport runs wider and that's supposedly a narrow-foot boot already.
Edea runs REALLY wide by the way.

isakswings
11-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Oh, the Bronze Medallion blades are okay on the business end, but they've got a rough finish and spot-welds at the stanchions. Definitely a step up from the Blue Ribbons, but not as finished as the stock blades of the Jackson Freestyles they use now. (Bronze Medallions also didn't hold the sharpenings as long as the Freestyles.)

They were fine for the levels they skated at, but once they started working on higher-level jumps and spins, it was time to move them up.

Yeah, the next time my daughter needs skates, we will re-evaluate and see where she is. She's still pretty low on her levels. She is in basic 5 and will begin private lessons in a few weeks. So, she is not jumping yet. I wanted the Wilson Excel or th MK 21 blade and her skates came with the MK 21. I think the stock blade for the Bronze Medallion is the ISE blade, we bought these used and they came with the MK 21. When I was looking online at Skatebuys and else where, I think I saw the stock blade was the ISE Sapphire. I was going to order her skates through the rink(it was going to be cheaper then online) and we were going to order the Wilson Excel or MK 21 blade instead of the stock blade. The lead instructor at her rink said those were better blades then the Sapphire. She had an ISE Spiral blade on her skate before and I can see the difference between the MK 21 and the Spiral blade. She seems to skate smoother, if that is possible. LOL. Of coarse, take this comment with a grain of salt. I know very little about skating and blades, which is why I asked other peope for suggestions when I was looking for Janae's new skates. LOL!