View Full Version : Old Geezer on Ice

kander
10-27-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm depressed. The other day a teenage cashier at the ice rink asked me if I wanted the senior citizen discout. Auugghhh!

Kevin

jazzpants
10-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Awwww man, Kevin!!! That's gotta hurt! Sorry about that!!!

Here... I'll cheer 'ya up a bit... I had a 22 year old cashier at YB who I told I was definitely much older than him. He said "That's funny! I always thought you were around my age..." :P

It gets better... I told him to guess my age. He then said "Don't hate me for this since I know I'm probably gonna guess over your age.... ummm...35?" LOVE that kid!!! :mrgreen: (My 40th is in 8 days!!! I'm old enough to be that kid's mom!!!)

JulieN
10-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Awwww man, Kevin!!! That's gotta hurt! Sorry about that!!!

Here... I'll cheer 'ya up a bit... I had a 22 year old cashier at YB who I told I was definitely much older than him. He said "That's funny! I always thought you were around my age..." :P

It gets better... I told him to guess my age. He then said "Don't hate me for this since I know I'm probably gonna guess over your age.... ummm...35?" LOVE that kid!!! :mrgreen: (My 40th is in 8 days!!! I'm old enough to be that kid's mom!!!)

Ah yes - the benefits of being a petite Asian woman! Got any more of that Pearl cream?? :mrgreen:

Rusty Blades
10-27-2007, 03:19 AM
Nobody offer me senior's discounts! Should I be flattered or insulted?

kayskate
10-27-2007, 07:29 AM
So, did you say "thank you" and take it? :halo:

Kay

Clarice
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Take the discount and run! Skating's expensive enough!
Clarice, who turns 50 next spring and is about to become a grandmother

Muskoka Skater
10-27-2007, 11:35 AM
This doesn't have to do with discounts or anything but so I'm only 12yrs old and whenever I remember that I have an 8yr old niece I feel old, lol:lol:.

sue123
10-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I went skating with my roomate once, and they asked her how old she was. She's 21, the girl at teh cashier blushed so red, they thought she was 12. I told her next time, she should just take the discount, but she didn't think quickly enough. I say take any form of discount you can, why not save some money?

Derek
10-27-2007, 02:47 PM
The only attention I get is when I fall over (which is often), the stewards will rush over to offer assistance, as if I may not be able to stand on my own ...

sexyskates
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Ouch, but don't take it too hard. Teenagers think everyone over 25 is a senior citizen. Take the discount and run.

singerskates
10-28-2007, 12:15 AM
I went to skate at Ice House last weekend and because I don't look like a teenager or a kid, I only got charged the coaches' rate for guest skating instead of full price.

I think it had to do partly with the fact that the kids skate during the day when I was there to guest skate instead of when most of the adult skaters skate which is either early mornings (6 AM) or late at night. So the kid cashier thought I was a coach. Yeah, right far from it. I might PA teaching CanSkate(Learn to Skate), Big and Little Skate (Parent and Tot) and Pre-PowerSkating but I'm not a coach.

jazzpants
10-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Ah yes - the benefits of being a petite Asian woman! Got any more of that Pearl cream?? :mrgreen:
No... but I got plenty of acne products on my bathroom shelf to deal with the nasty pimples. THAT is probably what helps with my "youthful appearance." :roll: :x :frus:

(BTW, I got told by a 33 year old yesterday that she thought I was much younger. She said "You know, I NEVER EVER would have pegged you for a 40! I guess the gym workout really works, huh?" :mrgreen: )

Kevin, take the discount & run next time!!! I sure wished the one time I was asked if I wanted adult or kid's fare at the now defunct Berkeley Iceland that I just take the kid's fare and run.

RinkRobot
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I went skating with my roomate once, and they asked her how old she was. She's 21, the girl at teh cashier blushed so red, they thought she was 12. I told her next time, she should just take the discount, but she didn't think quickly enough. I say take any form of discount you can, why not save some money?

I have the same problem. I'm also 21 and everybody thinks I'm a tween. Tell her she should definitely take the discounts. I don't know if they do it where you live but see if she can still get a free cookie from the grocery store. I was out shopping with my mom a few months ago and the bakery lady gave me a cookie because she thought I was 12 and our store gives out one free cookie to each kid 12 and under. (I think it's to keep them quiet while their parents shop.)

Isk8NYC
10-29-2007, 08:37 AM
On the other hand, my youngest niece was incredibly tall as a child and the rink staff always gave me a hard time about buying a "child" ticket for her.

She's now 5'10" and towers over her little auntie. lol

double3s
10-29-2007, 09:19 AM
At testing sessions I sometimes get asked "which one" (of the kids) is mine, because clearly, I'm too old and fat to actually skate! OTOH, sometimes the skating kids think I'm one of them, and don't believe me when I tell them I'm doing "adult track" for testing, so who knows?!

Skittl1321
10-29-2007, 09:35 AM
At testing sessions I sometimes get asked "which one" (of the kids) is mine, because clearly, I'm too old and fat to actually skate! OTOH, sometimes the skating kids think I'm one of them, and don't believe me when I tell them I'm doing "adult track" for testing, so who knows?!

I got asked that too. Except if I had kids, I should hope they wouldn't be old enough to test yet. AND I was in a skating dress, and skates when I was asked which kid was mine and which test they were taken. So I'm thinking it was just stupidity on the part of the asker.

I also got asked once by a parent of one of my coach's other students what level I was- when I said pre-bronze, she asked what that was, and I said "prel-preliminary, but for adults" (her daughter is pre-pre). She kind of gasped, and said she thought I was 11, just a few years older than her daughter, in reality, I'm more than 3x her daughter's age.

jazzpants
10-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I got the "which kid is mine" question when I was in skating school too. I had to tell them that I don't have a kid and I'm the skater in this case. Of course, said skating mom said a few weeks later that I should give up skating, have kids and have my daughter skate for me. I acted 8O (I wasn't surprised. The women were older Chinese women (but not by much) and there's strong pressure to marry the right young man and have kids and all.... Yes, I can say that! I'm Chinese too! :P ) and said "WHA!?!?! And miss out on the fun of skating!?!?! Are you kiddin' me?" (Well, something like that in Chinese.)

The cutest one came from a little girl skater (about 6 or 7, I think) asking if I was a "mommy." Awwwww!!! I can't be a "mommy" but I don't mind being an "auntie" to THAT little girl! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/liebe/n010.gif

Psst.... JulieN. Keep skating! It's not the "pearl cream." It's the ice. ;)

blackmanskating
10-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm depressed. The other day a teenage cashier at the ice rink asked me if I wanted the senior citizen discout. Auugghhh!

Kevin

Don't be ashamed of your age, be proud of it!!! You've worked hard to get to where you are so I would consider aging a badge of honor. It's all about looking at the glass half full rather than half empty. I probably would've taken that discount. More money in my pocket. I have to admit though I did chuckle a little when I read your post. It reminded me of something a friend of mine would say.

BlackManSkating

RoaringSkates
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM

That happened to me when I was in college. I was probably about age 20, and the cashier at one place asked me if I wanted the 12 and under ticket. No wonder I could never buy booze. :P

jazzpants
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
That happened to me when I was in college. I was probably about age 20, and the cashier at one place asked me if I wanted the 12 and under ticket. No wonder I could never buy booze. :PSpeaking of buying booze. My DH and I have a bet that if I went into a liquor store or wherever to buy beer (for him... not me. I'm a teetoler...) that he'd bet that I would get carded. This was after one of those sad moments when I realized that I'm turning 40 and getting OLD and he claims that I still look really young enough to pass for 20-something. That's when we came up with the bet. (In CA, if you look under 30 and try to buy booze... they will card you! Still haven't tried it yet.)

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Speaking of buying booze. My DH and I have a bet that if I went into a liquor store or wherever to buy beer (for him... not me. I'm a teetoler...) that he'd bet that I would get carded. This was after one of those sad moments when I realized that I'm turning 40 and getting OLD and he claims that I still look really young enough to pass for 20-something. That's when we came up with the bet. (In CA, if you look under 30 and try to buy booze... they will card you! Still haven't tried it yet.)
Some places here they card everybody, and I read a news story about a man in his 70s who wouldn't produce age-related ID and couldn't buy the bottle of wine he'd gone into the shop for!

Most supermarkets just have signs that say "If you're lucky enough to look under 21"....

AshBugg44
10-30-2007, 03:49 PM

Kevin

When I worked in my rink's office, I never ever asked people if they wanted the senior citizen discount. Ever. I was too afraid of asking someone who wasn't a senior yet and offending them!

double3s
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Speaking of buying booze. My DH and I have a bet that if I went into a liquor store or wherever to buy beer (for him... not me. I'm a teetoler...) that he'd bet that I would get carded. This was after one of those sad moments when I realized that I'm turning 40 and getting OLD and he claims that I still look really young enough to pass for 20-something. That's when we came up with the bet. (In CA, if you look under 30 and try to buy booze... they will card you! Still haven't tried it yet.)

I'm 40 and I often get carded, expecially when I'm with my fellow grad students.

I think people just suck at age guessing. When I was 10, people used to think that I was my father's girlfriend. Now I'm 40 and people think I'm my husband's daughter. When I go out with my 25 yr old colleage/friend, people pretty much always think we're boyfriend/girlfriend (not only am I 15 yrs older, he's way hotter than I am, so it's truly weird). So yeah. People suck at age guessing.

doubletoe
10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Hmm. . . why do I picture Kander not necessarily being comforted by the stories of people being carded or mistaken for teenagers? ;).

Anyway, I agree that you should take the discount and laugh it off. From my experience, teenagers are the worst people in the world at guessing people's ages! I don't know what it is. . . Maybe the fact that they are in-between being children and adults confuses them about everyone else as well.