View Full Version : should legs be bent when spinning?

ouijaouija
10-26-2007, 04:38 AM
I am talking about basic one/two foot spin, how bent should the legs be, I find that I have them quite bent entering it then i straighten it out a little...

how should it be done?

I also get dizzy very easily so i can't learn spinning very much, so I suck at it

kayskate
10-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Just relaxed. Knees are soft, as opposed to locked. It will keep you off your toe and allow you to stay on the rocker.

Kay

Sessy
10-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Keep them soft, but do take care not to go spinning on bent legs either, makes it very hard to find the balance point IMHO. Also, very bent knees slow down the spin.
For the dizzyness, get a spinner, spin practice wheel thingy. Just a few minutes a day SO make the difference for dizzyness! Also try not to look down on the spin.

momsk8er
10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Sessy's advice about not looking down is right on. Also when spinning try not to focus on anything - just pretend you don't have eyes for a minute - or that you are nearsighted and skating without your glasses. Focus on feeling your body instead.

cherryliphoto
10-27-2007, 01:22 PM
what does a spinner look like and how do you get one? I'm trying to spin the other way (ccw) just for the sake of being balanced. as of now, I can't even imagine going that way, so maybe a spinner might help?

Keep them soft, but do take care not to go spinning on bent legs either, makes it very hard to find the balance point IMHO. Also, very bent knees slow down the spin.
For the dizzyness, get a spinner, spin practice wheel thingy. Just a few minutes a day SO make the difference for dizzyness! Also try not to look down on the spin.

Sessy
10-27-2007, 02:46 PM
what does a spinner look like and how do you get one? I'm trying to spin the other way (ccw) just for the sake of being balanced. as of now, I can't even imagine going that way, so maybe a spinner might help?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:USQgnP4rzYBBEM:http://www.skate-connection.com/figursk8/figacces/gspin_v2_175.jpg
I got mine online from an austrian website but they're sold in america much cheaper. They can look like squares too, they're basically two metal disks rotating on top of eachother with a similar system as can be found in a bike's wheels.

BTW I can spin both ways, and jump to some extent - not very well, but I can. My "trick" is to analyze what I'm doing, in front of a mirror. Then repeat it. Put it from the unconscious level on the conscious one. Like, instead of your left arm making most the rotation, your right arm will be. On a backspin, instead of your right shoulder, your left shoulder will be leading. You still musn't break at the waist on de-square or drop/rise hips so that shouldn't be much of a problem, but for example with the loop jump, the other knee will be rising up into the rotation, that sorta stuff. And try to get the same timing you do on the normal direction.

dbny
10-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Do not even look down after the spin. If you want to check your tracing, skate away and come back to look. Also, do as many spins as you can until you are dizzy. Then skate away, do other things, and come back again to spin more. You may start with only one spin, or two at a time, but if you keep at it, you will gradually build up your tolerance.

Re the bent knee, keeping your skating knee bent on a spin does slow it down, which makes it easier to control, so the answer depends on how well you are in control of the spin. If you are struggling, then you will benefit from a fairly bent knee. I found that as I gained control, my knee seemed to straighten on its own.

Skate@Delaware
10-27-2007, 08:14 PM
I used to get really dizzy from spinning, so I used my office chair to help me out...make sure there is nothing in your way and spin in it!

As for the knee, it's my coach's preference that my leg be straight not bent. I can spin faster that way; but I have to be centered first and that takes a slightly bent knee.

Keep practicing, you will get it and you will get over the dizziness!

kander
10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Soft knees and not looking down are pretty good advice. I think someone mentioned not to focus your eyes on anything. That's very important. One thing I've noticed about spinning is that a really well centered spin makes you considerably less dizzy than a spin that travels.

Kevin

Sessy
10-28-2007, 03:34 AM
One thing I've noticed about spinning is that a really well centered spin makes you considerably less dizzy than a spin that travels.
Kevin

I unfocus my eyes and use the boarding to center my spin, if the boarding isn't travelling around me in a straight line but bounces up and down, I'm not centered. I've yet to figure out what will happen if I skate in Deventer (which has no boarding).

peanutskates
10-28-2007, 04:24 AM
my coach says, bend the knee for the first rotation or so, then straighten it out (quickly)