View Full Version : What do you call this move?

Luckster013
10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
What do you call the move where you go into a lunge then go around in circles? I think its a real move, but then again i've only seen it once so you guys may have no idea what i'm talking about.
Assuming that it is a real move, what level is it normally learned at?

Thanks!!!!

mdvask8r
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Sounds like an inside Ina Bauer. Of maybe a pivot??

skateskate
10-25-2007, 07:55 PM
hydroblading?

Isk8NYC
10-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I think you're describing a hydroblade - a very deep-edge glide that curves while the skater holds their body at what seems like impossible angles.

Take a look at this video of Shae-Lynn Bourne's program called "Livin' on the Edge" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrY3fPWs4_M) - I saw this at Fashion on Ice last year (thanks, Arsenette!) and absolutely loved the program.

Is that what you're thinking of? If not, I agree that it could be a pivot - one foot's toepick stays in the ice while the other foot travels around it in a circle; not quite a spin - there are a few in that YouTube video.

Hydroblades aren't in any curriculum; forward pivots are on the ISI Freestyle 1 and USFSA Basic 7 tests; backward pivots are on ISI Freestyle 3.

black
10-26-2007, 12:06 AM
a lunge then go around in circles?

Like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXkv4f_bhQU (4:40)???

BatikatII
10-26-2007, 08:10 AM
If it's what I'm thinking of then I don't know that is has a name as such. I love lunges so from a very early stage I used to go into a lunge and then turn a 3 turn (most people seem to do outside 3's but I do an inside 3). You can keep the turn going if you have enough momentum going into it. Or you can go down onto the knee on the lunging leg and go round and round that way. I would do the turn in lunge position and then spin back up using the lunging foots edge to power round and up. I was never taught it as such - other than playing around and maybe once in a group class for fun.

CanadianAdult
10-26-2007, 08:41 AM
double lunge is what my coach calls that.

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2007, 09:19 AM
I call it a "losing speed maneouvre", as you do, so it's a very useful manoeuvre to lose speed before going into something you can't do fast! Although in this present, and final, incarnation of our current free dance, we actually do it as a spin entrance.

Luckster013
10-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Isk8NYC,

I think I know what you are describing in the Shea-Lynn Bourne video. Thats not quite it. Awesome program though!

liz_on_ice
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
I think you're describing a hydroblade - a very deep-edge glide that curves while the skater holds their body at what seems like impossible angles.

Take a look at this video of Shae-Lynn Bourne's program called "Livin' on the Edge" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrY3fPWs4_M) - I saw this at Fashion on Ice last year (thanks, Arsenette!) and absolutely loved the program.

Is it still called a hydroblade if you are doing it on your butt? Can I claim I'm doing it on purpose? ;)

Isk8NYC
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Is it still called a hydroblade if you are doing it on your butt? Can I claim I'm doing it on purpose? ;)
Whatever slides your hide...lol

I had a boy student last year who loved hydroglides and knee slides, so he usually tried to get me to end his programs that way. If you throw in "Ta Dah!" arms, it can work.

doubletoe
10-26-2007, 05:31 PM
What do you call the move where you go into a lunge then go around in circles?

How many circles? If it's one half circle, it could be an inside Ina Bauer, but if it's a full circle or several circles, then. . . :?: