View Full Version : Partying or Staying In? *October 21-27*

peanutskates
10-21-2007, 03:32 AM
I went to a party yesterday! yay :lol:

jskater49
10-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Just a suggestion - last week's thread goes to the 21st - so let's wait till the 22 for this one - other wise we have two threads for the same day.

j

jskater49
10-22-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a problem with the name of this thread, because I'm not much of a partyer and I think that staying is a good thing...

Anyway...dance lesson today. We worked on Rhythm Blues which I am competing (against the book) in two weeks and we had to fix the timing AGAIN on the second progressive. I can't seem to get it. But I've been keeping my feet neat.

Then mohawks and they were not terrible. We worked on the intro to the Swing and I had it pretty good. She told me to practice it to music once before I left. Well, I tried doing it without the music. I can do the mohawk in the intro but in the middle of the dance, forget about it.

j

peanutskates
10-22-2007, 09:09 AM
partying even before I've skated... today, I'm skating for nearly 4 hours!!! (to be precise, 3h 45m) yay it's going to be great!

for the purposes of this post, partying is good and staying in is bad... or you can think of it as your elements/skating being out and about, or staying in and hiding so you can't do them...

rye
10-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Haha, I might think of my elements as partying wildly somewhere far away from where I am, vs. the better-behaved elements that stay in close by me :D .

jskater49, what do you do for the intro to the Swing? I've been taught a three step intro: LFI, RFO 3-turn, LBO swing roll, then the dance starts with the RB chasse. (The man, lucky devil, gets a real easy intro: RFO, LFI, RFO swing roll.) The first two steps of the intro are 2 counts each, and the swing roll is 4 counts.

coskater64
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Well I am staying in...might have a lot to do with the fact I am still walking with 2 canes. Even though everyone in the state of Colorado should be warned that I will be driving early Thursday morning just a few days before I am supposed to, but I have to run a test session. Will hopefully be on the ice in January and off canes in 3 weeks, walking 2 miles a day and tormenting my pets.

jskater49
10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Haha, I might think of my elements as partying wildly somewhere far away from where I am, vs. the better-behaved elements that stay in close by me :D .

jskater49, what do you do for the intro to the Swing? I've been taught a three step intro: LFI, RFO 3-turn, LBO swing roll, then the dance starts with the RB chasse. (The man, lucky devil, gets a real easy intro: RFO, LFI, RFO swing roll.) The first two steps of the intro are 2 counts each, and the swing roll is 4 counts.

When I first learned it, I did it with the 3 turn, but since I struggle with the mohawk and since I have to do a mohawk for the end pattern, now my intro is left edge, right inside mohawk, left back edge, swing roll, ect...this way I can warm up the mohawk in the intro...

j

jskater49
10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
partying
for the purposes of this post, partying is good and staying in is bad... or you can think of it as your elements/skating being out and about, or staying in and hiding so you can't do them...

Young person POV

Haha, I might think of my elements as partying wildly somewhere far away from where I am, vs. the better-behaved elements that stay in close by me ...

This is more my way of looking at it. My mohawk has gone off partyng and left me to swing without it!

Skittl1321
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Young person POV

This is more my way of looking at it. My mohawk has gone off partyng and left me to swing without it!

I haven't skated this week- so I have nothing to add yet, but last week's thread confused me too- I kept thinking "bright eyed" was good, and "bushy tailed" was bad...

(I'm more of a staying in kind of person too... but I can see how partying COULD be a good thing.)

Sessy
10-22-2007, 10:05 AM
oopsie double.

Sessy
10-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Staying in
all of this week, got absolutely no time to skate, nor party neither. At least my master's thesis subject was preliminary approved, but that still leaves 3 deadlines this week and 2 next week (with the assignments only clear since the end of last week), so I'm sitting behind my laptop nonstop for the next 10 days or so. I really hate how the workload fluctuates.
:evil:

Partying, sorta:
Though my backspin on the spin trainer was dramatically better this morning, can't wait to try it on ice. Might hit the gym tomorrow night with a friend too.

The other kind of partying:
The sorta party one of my roomies, M., threw last night which didn't let anybody get much sleep. A lot of the other roomies agreed that we're giving him one REALLY last warning (he's had like a dozen last warnings from us already), and we're filing an official complaint after this with the landlord. We've also spent most of last night documenting all the stuff we really hate about him, like the stuff he calls girls and what friends of his called one of our roomies just because he walks funny, etc, cuz we don't expect him to listen to our last warning.
No sleep makes me really grumpy.

chowskates
10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Well I am staying in...might have a lot to do with the fact I am still walking with 2 canes. Even though everyone in the state of Colorado should be warned that I will be driving early Thursday morning just a few days before I am supposed to, but I have to run a test session. Will hopefully be on the ice in January and off canes in 3 weeks, walking 2 miles a day and tormenting my pets.

Glad to read that your surgery went well (I just went to your blog). Sounds like you'll be out partying very soon, if not already! :)

jazzpants
10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, this morning I was going to party by practicing my FS program, but my rear driver side tires got NAILED (yup! flat tire!) and I had to stay in. Luckily for me, my home is up the block from a auto repair shop so I didn't need to be towed to a shop. I just drove in with my flat tire a 1/4 miles. Even better, I didn't even need to replace the tires either! They took the nail out, patched and reinflate the tires! Only cost me $33.80 and an hours wait at the shop! :bow:

Lesson for all of you guys... if you have AAA Membership service, get auto-enrollment! If you don't have AAA membership, GET IT!!! It can be worth its weight in gold in terms of hassle factor! (Lucky for me this time I didn't need to get towed!)

Too bad for me, I have to get up EARLY again the next morning to get in my practice. Gawd, I hope I'm awake then!!! :giveup:

looplover
10-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Staying In: If only, I have a cold.

Yesterday for the second time the brattiest of bratty skating kids kept flipping out whenever the adults would get in her way. This was a public session! Soon I speak to her mom. If that kid rolled her eyes at me one more time they would have gotten stuck - then the exaggerated sighing and the flailing arms...is it evil to really dislike an 11 year old (or thereabouts)? Someone needs to deal with that kid. :evil:

My program was poor this a.m. partially due to not feeling well and two footed every loop!

Partying: But, my toe loop is much improved (thanks Alexei), double 3 turn and rest of footwork was pretty good, 8 step mohawk was good yesterday.

Sessy
10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Sucks about the shot practice session Jazz.

& best wishes to everybody in recovery from injuries, surgeries, and that sorta stuffs.

Mrs Redboots
10-22-2007, 01:18 PM

When I first learned it, I did it with the 3 turn, but since I struggle with the mohawk and since I have to do a mohawk for the end pattern, now my intro is left edge, right inside mohawk, left back edge, swing roll, ect...this way I can warm up the mohawk in the intro...

j

The typical American intro freaks me out! Here we just do the normal LFO, RFO, LFO3, RBO, and then usually the long 4-beat edge that is the last step of the dance.

lskater
10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey Jazzpants, I thought I saw something at some point that said you were in Portland OR???

I'm in Portland too and I don't think we know each other??? Would love to meet you if you are local...

Let me know!

LSkater (located in Vancouver, but skate pretty much all over the Portland area)

jazzpants
10-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey Jazzpants, I thought I saw something at some point that said you were in Portland OR???

I'm in Portland too and I don't think we know each other??? Would love to meet you if you are local...

Let me know!

LSkater (located in Vancouver, but skate pretty much all over the Portland area)I did!?!?!? 8O If I did, let me correct that now! Sorry to say, I skate in San Francisco Bay Area. But I might have mentioned about skating at this coming year's Adult Sectionals which IS in Portland, OR. But... it doesn't look hopeful for that either given my budget. I'm just going to AN this year. (Lake Plastic is WAAAAY too expensive....) :evil:

Oh, icedancer2. Where are you? I know YOU skate in the Portland OR area. I think one other guy skates here too. Can't remember his ID but his first name is Gordon.

Bill_S
10-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Partying: Counted 19 revs for one spin this morning. It wasn't particularly fast, but went on forever.

Staying In: It was easy to count those loops in the ice in a traveling spin. :roll:

Isk8NYC
10-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Staying In: It was easy to count those loops in the ice in a traveling spin. :roll:Such a "silver lining" guy - love it!

Finally started working out off ice again last night. Now my arms hurt. lol
Going to try and get to Coffee Club again tomorrow, I think.

rye
10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Partying: inspired by all you skaters, I took myself over to lunchtime skate today. Crossovers, edges, FO 3-turns, felt pretty good. Getting the to-be-free foot off the ice faster seems to reduce the scraping of the to-be-skating foot; I don't know if this is proper or just coincidence, but it was nice to have a few not-very-scrapy mohawks.

Staying in: FI on both sides again, unfortunately they're FI Skids rather than 3-turns. FO 3-turns curve on a small radius, which is going to make the Waltz Eight awfully hard, but I'm not sure how to change it.

In-between: Don't know why I never noticed it so strongly before, but this rink is very different from my lesson rink. It's very cold hockey ice over concrete, instead of lesson rink's general-purpose ice over sand. The beams weep a lot -- lots of rows of ice-droplet bumps! It's bigger than lesson rink which is fun for doing loooooooots of patterns down-ice.

je
10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I just passed the Silver Moves test. I was happy with how I skated, and especially happy that I wasn't very nervous. The judges all passed me with room to spare. Surprisingly, the one who gave me the highest marks also gave me the most corrections (all completely valid).

Johanna, feeling deeply tired and in no hurry at all to start work on brackets

peanutskates
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
partying (which BTW is always a good thing... just accept it!!! lol)
everything.... aka:
waltz jumps
waltz jumps the wrong way for me!
toeloops
salchows
loops
scratch spins
sitspin attempts (ok they were not good, but fun!)
Y spiral
Catchfoot spiral

etc etc just, everything was good today!!

staying in
ouch I managed to fall on my tailbone again(I really need to get tailbone pads...) on a Y spiral.
somehow pulled my shoulder?? ow

Kim to the Max
10-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Congrats on passing your test :) My suggestion...put off brackets as long as you can...they are one of my least favorite patterns...as I struggle with the back outside brackets on the Brackets in the Field pattern from Standard Track Intermediate...(the pattern is on both the Adult Gold and Standard Track Intermediate tests).

Bill_S
10-22-2007, 03:38 PM
I just passed the Silver Moves test. I was happy with how I skated, and especially happy that I wasn't very nervous. ...

First, CONGRATULATIONS for passing Silver moves! :)

Second, what's your secret for not getting nervous? I had terrible nerves on my last test. Each new test level became worse for me and I'm in awe of anyone who doesn't get nervous. :bow:

jazzpants
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I just passed the Silver Moves test. I was happy with how I skated, and especially happy that I wasn't very nervous. The judges all passed me with room to spare. Surprisingly, the one who gave me the highest marks also gave me the most corrections (all completely valid).

OMG!!! I had no idea you were even testing! And Silver Moves too!!! Congrats to you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

je
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Bill asked,

Second, what's your secret for not getting nervous?

I think I've talked about it before, over on rssir. It's not a quick fix, I'm afraid. I am a co-counselor (you can read about co-counseling at www.rc.org), and before the test, I spent quite a bit of time working on the feelings that were getting stirred up. These have ranged from memories of times that reminded me of testing, like performing in piano recitals as a girl, to feeling like it's not right for me to shine too much, and lots more. The idea is that when we are hurt, physically or emotionally, we store up feelings that need to get released by doing things like laughing, crying, shaking, and sweating. If you get rid of the old, stored-up feelings, they aren't going to rear their ugly heads when a similar situation occurs. So I spent a couple of hours over the weekend working on stuff. And this morning, I read some quotes that inspire me and had a good cry. Probably sounds weird, given how different an outlook it is to the general one about emotions, but it's made all the difference for me over the last few decades.

Anything you can figure out that will help you feel stuff--even something like having a good laugh over a Marx Brothers movie--will help.

I'm sorry I don't have a simpler answer, like clicking your heels together and saying, "There's no place like the rink," to take the nerves away.

Johanna

je
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
OMG!!! I had no idea you were even testing! And Silver Moves too!!! Congrats to you! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks, Jazz. I did mention it here somewhere, but I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I seem to be one of the people who has an easier time with moves than with freestyle. But I am determined to pass the Bronze test one day, and am finally starting to get some of those elusive elements.

Johanna

icedancer2
10-22-2007, 05:17 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is a reason to want to party.

At my advanced age that is how I think about "partying" - something that would make me want to party if I were so inclined. Now I would just think of it as rewarding myself for a job well done. That being said, had another killer dance session yesterday at my new home rink with it's smooth, smooth ice and nice ambience... actually really kind of hurt afterwards but in a good way...

And yes, I am in Portland and most likely know this newish member lskater - now the guessing game will begin!!:( (had jazzpants lived in Portland, she could have taken her car to Les Schwab and they would have fixed her tire for free whether she bought it there or not. One good reason to live in a big small town...)

Staying in: mostly non-skating stuff - our basement apartment flooded a bit on Saturday (we have been having torrential rains - a little unusual, although we are in Portland, OR [need I say more?] and we spent the day cleaning and drying so we could appease our marvelous tenant (why I hate being a landlord sometimes). Then my husband woke in the middle of the night last night to a kidney stone, which kept me up half the night also...

Old age is tough...:P

doubletoe
10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Bill asked,

Second, what's your secret for not getting nervous?

I think I've talked about it before, over on rssir. It's not a quick fix, I'm afraid. I am a co-counselor (you can read about co-counseling at www.rc.org), and before the test, I spent quite a bit of time working on the feelings that were getting stirred up. These have ranged from memories of times that reminded me of testing, like performing in piano recitals as a girl, to feeling like it's not right for me to shine too much, and lots more. The idea is that when we are hurt, physically or emotionally, we store up feelings that need to get released by doing things like laughing, crying, shaking, and sweating. If you get rid of the old, stored-up feelings, they aren't going to rear their ugly heads when a similar situation occurs. So I spent a couple of hours over the weekend working on stuff. And this morning, I read some quotes that inspire me and had a good cry. Probably sounds weird, given how different an outlook it is to the general one about emotions, but it's made all the difference for me over the last few decades.

Anything you can figure out that will help you feel stuff--even something like having a good laugh over a Marx Brothers movie--will help.

I'm sorry I don't have a simpler answer, like clicking your heels together and saying, "There's no place like the rink," to take the nerves away.

Johanna

That's fantastic, Johanna! Congratulations on passing your test with flying colors! Also, I have heard nothing but great things about co-counseling. :D

Congrats on passing your test :) My suggestion...put off brackets as long as you can...they are one of my least favorite patterns...as I struggle with the back outside brackets on the Brackets in the Field pattern from Standard Track Intermediate...(the pattern is on both the Adult Gold and Standard Track Intermediate tests).

On the other hand, they are the one move on the Intermediate/Adult Gold test test where they aren't looking for power, so once you remember to take your time, use your ankles and rise to the ball of the blade before turning, you may find that they feel almost zen-like compared to the other moves, LOL!

vesperholly
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Partying: Axel is really, truly consistent!! :D I also started doing axel-loop combinations! I have been doing axels at the end of the session when I'm most tired and the ice is all cut up, and they're still solid. I've been aiming for 3 axels and 3 axel-loops at the beginning and end of every session, and I've met that or exceeded it every time. I am so excited to put both axel and axel-loop in my program for Easterns and ANs.

Spins are getting stronger, too. I went from skating 1-2 hours a week over the summer to 6-8 hours starting in September. I spend about 30 minutes every session doing spins. Flying camel was wonky today but camel spins have gotten much, much better. Still can't quite manage a good back sit. Tips, anyone?

Staying in: After having two glorious days of perfect, rotated double sals (then fall, but still), they've gone back to pop ... pop ... pop. They've been like that ever since I got my skates rebuilt two weeks ago, so I think it's just that I can't get enough bend yet. At least I don't have to do doubles in Silver, but I'd like to move up to Gold for 2009 and a double sal would be really nice.

I need new blades BADLY. I think I'm going to just suck it up and order them this week. I'm just worried that when I have to get new boots next spring, the blades will be the wrong size. :\

Isk8NYC
10-22-2007, 08:28 PM
I just passed the Silver Moves test.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT!!!

ibreakhearts66
10-23-2007, 12:19 AM
today was SO not my day. i should have stayed in

i play mind games with my axel. the thing is, i CAN do it no problem, i just WON'T. its so frustrating. like, i've been landing this jump for years, but it still messes with my head. i think working on double axels over the summer messed with my single. a girl from the rink said that she had to stop dong single axels when she started her double because it messed her up.

had two really nasty falls today. on one, i'm not quite sure what happened. all i know is that i got enough air to be IN the air and realize "oh crap-i'm about to fall really hard." it was SO not fun.

THEN. i FINALLY get myself to do an axel. a really good one. caught my heel in my pants right above my boot. and these are skin tight pants too. well, i pretty much body-slammed the ice. it was a loud fall. and i tore my pants :(

there was still a little partying but none of it was really a result of my skating

had my blades sharpened and they feel AMAZING! it is the best blade sharpening i have ever had. i couldn't even tell when i got on the ice--i could stop and everything. everything felt the same, but my edges just felt more secure. i am never getting my blades sharpened by everyone else. i suppose this guy better be good if my coach was willing to drive 100 miles each way to take me there...

i'm also getting new blades from the sharpener. My coach has known him for about 30 years (he was her coach) so he's giving them to me/us at cost, so i'm saving a lot of money.

oh and i think i fixed someone else's axel today. i reminded my coach of what she used to do with me (draw a jumping lane that we had to take-off in) and it helped this girl so much. i'm glad SOMEONE could have nice axels. actually, mine weren't too bad when i decided to use the jumping lane thing again, but it really helped her

Thin-Ice
10-23-2007, 02:57 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Hurray for you! You deserve a couple days recuperation time.

je
10-23-2007, 06:03 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Hurray for you! You deserve a couple days recuperation time.

Thanks, Thin-Ice (and others). I've got today off, but tomorrow, I'm back at it, as I'm testing two dances (Hickory and Willow) in early November.

Johanna

Laura H
10-23-2007, 07:47 AM
Group lesson last night - still only me and one other person, but it's a different person :) . . . once again we are at very different levels but with only two people it's not too hard for the teacher to go back and forth between us. The teacher this time is my son's coach so this should be fun!

Partying: Salchow is finally starting to come together . . . she had me do a few and noticed I wasn't pointing my toes like I should be . . .I tried it again and it was so successful (height) I scared myself :oops: but after a few more tries things started coming together!

Oh yeah, and I got kudos for my backwards crossovers . . . yay!

Staying in: uggghh . . that !#(%$ waltz jump . . . so simple yet so difficult! Every now and then I'll have a session where I just seem to have totally forgotten EVERYTHING about it, and last night was one of those times . . I just could NOT get it together . . . instructor says I'm not bringing my free leg through . . . it's just stopping at my jumping leg. And even when I consciously thought about it . . . just couldn't get it to happen last night for some reason. :evil:

Forward spin had also gone on vacation (and it needed a visa for all the traveling I was doing) . . . sigh . . . back to the t-push exercise for me!

Kinda in between: backspin - more stable but still not many revs. Will keep working on it though. It's nice to at least be able to go into it and know I won't fall over . . . a LOT less nervewracking! :oops:

tidesong
10-23-2007, 10:55 AM
party: I had a good last skate in theses boots
very good suspects for double toe and double loop (1/4 to 1/8 ) under
back sit good
the rest pretty ok
i learn something new... stretching out for the layback can help to stretch my tight hip muscles which actually helps my jumps! I landed my best jumps all right after this intense stretching for my layback. It was a crazy eye opener for me. I doubt it will work like a charm because I didnt like land 10 double salchows in a row after that, so but I think it will help if I feel tight... now I know what to do

staying in:
last day in my old boots T_T byebye.... hello new boots on friday. I can't imagine whats going to happen. I hope I still have all my jumps.

Petlover
10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Congratulations je!!!!!!!

Party: Change foot spin, 3 great results out of 3 tries!!!! I'm so wierd, I really love that spin.

Stayed In: End pattern on the rhythm blues is still not where I want it to be, grrrrrr.....

rye
10-23-2007, 11:58 AM
petlover, what's the issue with your end pattern?

Mine, I think, is that I'm not keeping the cross-behinds on a curve, so I end up too far down the ice (or is that, up the ice?) for the next repeat and can't reach the middle of the rink at the right time. Lots of other things could be critiqued about my end pattern too, but I'm not thinking about those right now.

Mrs Redboots
10-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh, wow, Johanna - RESPECT, and congratulations!

As for us (I, too, am of the generations where if my skating is partying it's gone missing, and if it's staying at home, it's there when I want it, but I'll go along with you young folks' definitions!):

Partying: Although the rink was officially closed this morning we got to skate anyway! Which meant we had the ice almost to ourselves, only two other skaters and one other coach! So we went through everything for Oxford, which is fast approaching.

Staying in: We didn't skate as well as we have been known to do; I was still rather stiff after Sunday's fall although I was pleased to find myself not tentative. Could have been faster and more expression in our dances. Husband way out of time in his solo Willow. Also our spin hurt, the first time we tried it, but after that Husband knew not to yank on my arm, so it didn't hurt.

Rusty Blades
10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Stay In: Ankle was tender all weekend, can't get in to Physio until Thursday, can't do Waltz jump from an edge

Party: but I CAN do a Waltz jump with a little toe pick ;) (Cheating is ok, this is figure skating after all - :mrgreen: )

Stay In: In lesson we started on my Interpretive program, a resurrection of my Nationals program from last March. How quickly we (I) forget 8O

Party: After lesson I hung around to watch my coach skate, share chuckles, and have a good time for awhile.

Isk8NYC
10-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I was stunned to see that the Coffee Club group lesson was FIGURES. There were eights all over the ice - how beautiful!!! I missed the lesson, but watched the coach give a private on serpentine figures. I might want to take Figures and Dance with this woman.

Went to pick up DD's skates from the pro shop and they weren't ready. They had started the stretching, but it wasn't going to be done for a few hours. Plus, the cost was $20 - I could have had it done for free at my regular pro shop. I'll have to pick them up on Thursday, and I'm not leaving my own skates with this shop for sharpening. Bad first impressions are often correct. Have to make appts for next month when we go back home.

MITF: Good, steps are getting tighter on the patterns. Something felt very right about the threes on the line, but I couldn't figure out what it was that kept me from touching down. Like mercury, it slipped through my fingers before I could figure it out. lol

Nailed the new (is it still newish?) Adult Pre-Bronze Threes pattern on both sides. Have to figure out a good end pattern to use between the two sides.

Spiral patterns felt great, but I don't think I was arching my back enough.
Did my usual FI:FO:FI drill - it's really helping to build up my strength on the FI spirals.

Change of Edge Spirals: I really did well with these at low speeds. I'm not quick enough with the changeover yet - I can hear the blade switch from one edge to a flat to the other edge. It is hard to keep everything else still and just change the edge. You do need to face the way you want to go, so some upper body movement must be allowable. I can do the FI=>FO on both feet; FO=>FI on the right only. Maybe with some practice, I'll be able to take them at a faster speed and switch quicker.

I did a few good scratch spins of about 15-18 revs each. Back spins maxed out at 10 revs. Can't seem to find the right spot; maybe it's the dull blades.

Waltz jumps were better; toe loops were good. Played with the loop jump, but I'm still fighting the FI3 entrance.

Sessy
10-23-2007, 03:57 PM
My ankle hurts and I'm grumpy but I did hit the gym and I'm really pleased with the exponential growth of the weights I can do and stuff.

Also my jumping (off left, don't worry! Landing on left too!) is getting better without jumping, just the gym. Higher, that is. :yum:
Although today I was told I have "fat thighs" by a very rude woman. :evil: Well yes I do, you don't, can you do 3x15 leg presses at 54 kilograms in under a minute? Thought so.

My ankle really hurts.

Skittl1321
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
First- Johanna congrats on the silver moves!

Nailed the new (is it still newish?) Adult Pre-Bronze Threes pattern on both sides. Have to figure out a good end pattern to use between the two sides.

End pattern? Everyone I've seen test this has used this time to breathe deeply and while trying not to throw up- and just glided and then looped around in the corner.

Rob Dean
10-23-2007, 05:16 PM
End pattern? Everyone I've seen test this has used this time to breathe deeply and while trying not to throw up- and just glided and then looped around in the corner.

That sounds like my test. :) I did one side, ended with a flourish, stopped, glided over to center of the end, stopped, and then started the second side. That is, I basically treated it as two separate patterns.

Rob

Isk8NYC
10-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I never thought of making it two patterns with a stop in between. I tried a RFI3 with back crossovers across the end, but trying to get back to a RFI edge before the second half (LFI3 starting) was tricky. I settled for finishing the first half with a LFI edge, then stroking/crossover to the "loop." It worked, but it was awkward too.

See - the second half is the part that bugs me because it's opposite (CW) rotation for me. First half is fun!

singerskates
10-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Stay In: Ankle was tender all weekend, can't get in to Physio until Thursday, can't do Waltz jump from an edge

Party: but I CAN do a Waltz jump with a little toe pick ;) (Cheating is ok, this is figure skating after all - :mrgreen: )

Stay In: In lesson we started on my Interpretive program, a resurrection of my Nationals program from last March. How quickly we (I) forget 8O

Party: After lesson I hung around to watch my coach skate, share chuckles, and have a good time for awhile.

Should Have Stayed In : I go away from Canada and what do you do to yourself? You were doing so well too.

Timing of skating on sessions at Ice House: One thing that I should have done was to take a break in between sessions instead of skating them back to back. I was all worn out by the time I got to skate my freeskate to my music at the end of the second session. I also didn't yell move or excuse me as I skated and had to stop and miss two of my combinations in my freeskate as I skated around the people who didn't move or look to see that I was coming.

Partying : I went to the Booten, NJ area and then on Saturday I skated at the Ice House in Hackensack, NJ. I skated on 3 different sessions; 2 club and one public. The first club session was for skaters who were from No Test to Pre-Juvenile; it wasn't that busy. The second was for those from No Test to much higher (I forget).

Jump combos/sequences are coming around; Waltz/Mazuka/Salchow/Toe (out of program with music), Bunny Hop/Half Flip/Flip/Toe (also not with music)

Sit spin seems to either not get low enough or starts to travel especially when I change position to Broken Sit. Seems that my boot gets too loose or that my laces pop.

Did one decent Sit/Broken/upright behind catchfootspin. Not sure how many rotations they were because I didn't count.

Upright spin(attitude/behind catch foot/ normal position) is either dead on center or travelling around the World.

I'm wondering if my boot is breaking down or if my feet are shrinking or something because I'm loosing my confidence and control on spins.

Skittl1321
10-23-2007, 07:29 PM
I never thought of making it two patterns with a stop in between. I tried a RFI3 with back crossovers across the end, but trying to get back to a RFI edge before the second half (LFI3 starting) was tricky. I settled for finishing the first half with a LFI edge, then stroking/crossover to the "loop." It worked, but it was awkward too.

See - the second half is the part that bugs me because it's opposite (CW) rotation for me. First half is fun!

I don't think I would stop, because you might get some picky judge that doesn't like that- but really, I wouldn't do anything fancy. Since it's PB- you can get alway with almost anything. I just glided on two feet and then glided on one foot into the corner so I started on the right edge. Thankfully, the second pattern was my better side- so picking up speed wasn't a problem- I tried to start the first side of the pattern as slow as humanly possible. Here is my video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXlQt-3q0w the transition starts at 3:09, I'm quite serious when I say it was truly an unimpressive transition (and test, really). The only reason you might want to do something more impressive is because aren't you testing a ton of things in one day? They might expect more from you because they know you are a higher level skater.

Today's lesson:
Staying In Backspins made me want to cry. And I was actually doing better than normal (the ice was great!). Then I worked on moves. My bronze moves just don't cut it. I have the slowest power threes in the history of the world.

ibreakhearts66
10-23-2007, 07:47 PM
My ankle hurts and I'm grumpy but I did hit the gym and
Although today I was told I have "fat thighs" by a very rude woman. :evil: Well yes I do, you don't, can you do 3x15 leg presses at 54 kilograms in under a minute? Thought so.

people suck. after I got out of the hospital for the SECOND time after nearly DYING of anorexia (and she knew), a 70 year old woman at my rink comes up and tells my i'm not that skinny and that i have "shapely" thighs. then she proceeded to tell my coach the same. (btw, i was barely over 100 pounds at 5'5, and looking back, i hardly had "shapely" thighs. chicken legs more like it). THEN when I asked her very very nicely to not talk about my body as it is a very sensitive subject with me, she gets mad and says "well i can talk about whatever i like" in that indignant sort of way.

this woman used to sponsor a girl at my rink. when this girl was five, she put her on a diet to lose 7 pounds because she had a "tummy." then, one day, she was complaining about this girl's weight (now ten). one of the other girls who is 17 tried telling her that sometimes girls grow out before they grow up, but it generally evens out eventually. the woman goes "speak from your own experience. I was never like that." when my coach (and the little girl's coach) tried to agree with the 17 year old, the woman goes "yeah, well you have a tendency to be fat anyways."

don't you just love the figure skating world?

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Staying in...I haven't done any real skating since last wednesday. :( My back hurts a lot. Doc says muscle strain and if it's not better in a few more weeks come back. And he prescribed pain pills and a muscle relaxer.

This bites. It hurts so bad at times I can barely bend over and tie my skates-lets not get into the contortions i do to get dressed...

I have been teaching skating, but that's just gliding. Although I demoed a waltz jump and a 2-foot and 1-foot spin yesterday. The jump landing hurt but spinning doesn't. maybe I'll just spin from now on???????

I am lined up for a therapuetic massage tomorrow so hopefully that will help with the spasms. Fingers crossed!!!

doubletoe
10-23-2007, 10:20 PM
My ankle hurts and I'm grumpy but I did hit the gym and I'm really pleased with the exponential growth of the weights I can do and stuff.

Also my jumping (off left, don't worry! Landing on left too!) is getting better without jumping, just the gym. Higher, that is. :yum:

My ankle really hurts.

I HOPE you actually said that to the idiot woman! Did you?
(By the way, how could anyone think you have fat thighs? Is she anorexic?)

Thin-Ice
10-24-2007, 03:10 AM

If you want to get the weak side out of the way and finish strongly, you can do the CW rotation side first. At least where I am we don't insist one side go first and the other be second. And most of our PB testers just glide on two-feet to start the other side (whichever they may choose it to be). The "fancy skaters" do two strokes, glide on one foot, then set up for the second pattern.

Isk8NYC
10-24-2007, 07:34 AM
If you want to get the weak side out of the way and finish strongly, you can do the CW rotation side first. At least where I am we don't insist one side go first and the other be second. And most of our PB testers just glide on two-feet to start the other side (whichever they may choose it to be). The "fancy skaters" do two strokes, glide on one foot, then set up for the second pattern.

The only reason you might want to do something more impressive is because aren't you testing a ton of things in one day? They might expect more from you because they know you are a higher level skater.
I'm not really planning to test Pre-Bronze since I've already passed Pre-Prel. But I understand what you're saying about the judges having higher expectations for a skater at my strange, mixed-up level.

I really wanted to figure out the pattern in case I have an adult student who wants to test. I'll try reversing the order - I think the transition would LOOK nicer going from the LFI3 side to the RFI3 side.

Thanks, all!

quarkiki2
10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
WHAT?? Gliding on two feet for the end pattern? When I was working on this pattern before Violet, I was being coached with back crossovers and a mohawk to start the second side (my weaker side). Like I wanted more speed going into that pattern... I skate the crossover with too much power as it is and then I can't get the required number of sets in because my lobes get too big...

Sessy
10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I HOPE you actually said that to the idiot woman! Did you?
(By the way, how could anyone think you have fat thighs? Is she anorexic?)

No, I didn't say so, I just said it was muscle. LOL! My roomies said she's right about the thick thighs thing but that it indeed is muscle... Still, even if something's true, why say it?!
I don't know, she's not anorexic... Well at least she doesn't look like it. But she is a psychologist by education... :roll: I guess somebody used to skip class! Lolz.

Sessy
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
- scary story -

My GOD... Sounds like SOMEBODY needed to see a shrink herself!!! Sheesh. Talk about over-compensating for your own insecurities by harassing others! That woman has no business coming anywhere near young girls at all!
It's too bad the coach didn't use it as an example, "See kids, this is a typical case of eating disorder-thinking. It's very unhealthy, and can lead to serious problems. Accept the fact that there are different body types, or you'll end up like this scary, extremely sick lady!" :mrgreen:

The best skater at our rink (who competed at nationals a level UP, and still came second!) is like... Well, pretty big. She's got fat and arnold schwarzenegger muscle underneath, but boy is she jumpy! And her jumps aren't tiny and spinny like most skaters, no she actually flies across like a third of the rink's width doing her double axel, it's like WHOA.

Sorry to hear about your anorexia struggle. I nearly went the same way, weighing 65 kilos (about 145 pounds?) at 12 (measuring 5'5) and then 38 kilos a half a year later, but thank heavens, the school nurse noticed and interfered. It makes me boiling mad when adults go like "ohh you did put on weight didn't you?" to young girls...
Well yeah it's called hormones!!! :roll:
They've NO idea what they're doing.
In dancing, a girl's mom paid for her daughter's LIPOSUCTION... And the girl had no tummy to begin with... *sigh* adults.

Are you doing okay nowadays?

liz_on_ice
10-24-2007, 08:39 AM
staying in - me, since my car has been in the shop. Except for a public session I had no practice between lessons. Bleah. I don't know if I'm going to get a practice in before next lesson either because...

partying ... I'll be in Reading for Skate America over the weekend :D

partying - lesson this morning wasn't rained out, although the ice was thin and damp. It started pouring just after the session as I ran for the train. Sounds dreadful, but it sure beats no lesson!

staying in lesson matched the weather, everything was awful. It was so hot I forgot my gloves, and naturally that is the day I caught both toepicks and went down to hands and knees. I folded pretty softly on the way down, so no damage beyond scraped hands and bruised knees, and a big run in my tights. I guess the price of being young at heart is having booboos like a little kid :roll:

SynchroSk8r114
10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Testing my Paso Doble and Starlight Waltz today...very nervous about the Paso...it hasn't been up to par lately, and I think the fact that I realize that is more frustrating than the actual dance. :roll:

Partying: On the other hand, my Starlight looks like I have a pretty good shot with that one. We'll see...I just gotta keep smiling...and leaning! :mrgreen:

Heck, if I get at least one of these dances, I'll be happy, preferably the Starlight, but I'd take 'em both if I could.

Anyway, the test is at 2:00 p.m., so I'll try and post late tonight, after my wonderful night class (blah...:roll:), how everything went - good or bad.

Skittl1321
10-24-2007, 08:49 AM
WHAT?? Gliding on two feet for the end pattern? When I was working on this pattern before Violet, I was being coached with back crossovers and a mohawk to start the second side (my weaker side). Like I wanted more speed going into that pattern... I skate the crossover with too much power as it is and then I can't get the required number of sets in because my lobes get too big...

Your coach has high expectations for you :)

I've seen 4 people take this test (plus me) and no one did an end pattern. I only think it could help though- since it seems like they are scoring on "does the skater have any idea how to skate" for PB- and since you have strong mohawks it could only be a plus.

My coach purposefully made my entry steps so that I could start going very slow- because I missed that first 3 turn every time. If I got the first one, I could pick up speed for the rest. So I took the SLOWEST steps possible, and positioned myself to start the pattern at the best possible angle for my preperation. Speed on the second side wasn't the issue for me like it is for most people. The idea of switching the sides is a good one- I think doing your better side after the transition is a good idea.

Now with bronze moves, it will probably be more than a year till I'm ready- because going into the "bad" side of the 3 turn pattern- I can't do it-there isn't the 'fudge' room in these because they expect so much more. And well, my power threes have absolutely no power at all. Still haven't learned the 5 step mohawk, but am frightened by the thought.

Thin-Ice
10-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Testing my Paso Doble and Starlight Waltz today...very nervous about the Paso...it hasn't been up to par lately, and I think the fact that I realize that is more frustrating than the actual dance. :roll:

GOOD LUCK and remember to make the judges wish they were YOU out there having a great time dancing to wonderful music. (Even if you don't like the music or the dance... you can fool them into thinking YOU are in paradise while testing.)

Rusty Blades
10-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Staying In: Can't do a Waltz jump AT ALL now without considerable pain in the ankle. This is going downhill fast - NOT GOOD! Strange, 3-Turns are fine but I can't take off into a jump on the right foot without considerable pain.

Partying: I did manage to get a couple of sit spins happening though - that's something I never expected at my age!

Shutting off the lights and hiding: Coach and I had a discussion about how the ankle injury will effect the competition schedule. Depending what the therapist says this afternoon, the November competition may not be possible - I wont do anything to jeopardize Nationals in the spring!!!

Skittl1321
10-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Staying In: Can't do a Waltz jump AT ALL now without considerable pain in the ankle. This is going downhill fast - NOT GOOD! Strange, 3-Turns are fine but I can't take off into a jump on the right foot without considerable pain.

Partying: I did manage to get a couple of sit spins happening though - that's something I never expected at my age!

Shutting off the lights and hiding: Coach and I had a discussion about how the ankle injury will effect the competition schedule. Depending what the therapist says this afternoon, the November competition may not be possible - I wont do anything to jeopardize Nationals in the spring!!!

WOO HOO! On the sit spins.

Sorry your ankle is preventing you from jumping- I hope you are able to figure out what to do to get on the road to recovery.

Rusty Blades
10-24-2007, 10:24 AM
WOO HOO! On the sit spins.

Thank you! Those are scary-fast 8O At least my backside is close to the ice so I don't have far to fall :roll:

I hope you are able to figure out what to do to get on the road to recovery.

I am afraid the therapist is going to say "Take 6 weeks off." I can't do that! I am an absolute BEAR if I go 2 weeks without skating :evil: NOBODY wants to be anywhere near me when I can't skate.

icedancer2
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Testing my Paso Doble and Starlight Waltz today...

Good luck on your dances - I hope to take these SOMEDAY!!!;)

Petlover
10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
petlover, what's the issue with your end pattern?

Mine, I think, is that I'm not keeping the cross-behinds on a curve, so I end up too far down the ice (or is that, up the ice?) for the next repeat and can't reach the middle of the rink at the right time. Lots of other things could be critiqued about my end pattern too, but I'm not thinking about those right now.

Rye, my problem is the cross behind does not want to cross behind, and once forced to cross behind, I'm finally getting over my fear of picking up the free foot. Both my coach and a good friend have worked with me on these, and every so often I actually get them, but they are pretty scary, I think because I caught a toepick when first learning them and went flat on my face. Also, my posture has to be good otherwise it does not work.

Last week, I did finally did start understanding how to get the curve, and it does make it easier - I just concentrated on the first step being a left forward outside edge and the cross behind step being a right forward inside edge.

Good luck, and let me know how you are coming along with the end pattern!

jskater49
10-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Rye, my problem is the cross behind does not want to cross behind, and once forced to cross behind, I'm finally getting over my fear of picking up the free foot. Both my coach and a good friend have worked with me on these, and every so often I actually get them, but they are pretty scary, I think because I caught a toepick when first learning them and went flat on my face. Also, my posture has to be good otherwise it does not work.

Last week, I did finally did start understanding how to get the curve, and it does make it easier - I just concentrated on the first step being a left forward outside edge and the cross behind step being a right forward inside edge.

Good luck, and let me know how you are coming along with the end pattern!

I HATE STEP BEHINDS! Have I mentioned that? I can do the right behind the left and so I take that option when I do the Rythm Blues...of course now I want to do the cha cha and the fiesta and it's left behind right and I just can't do it, I cheat and end up either dangerously behind rather than along side or I slide the foot forward too quickly so that it's never really behind.

j

jskater49
10-24-2007, 11:44 AM
So in my lesson today we brought out my freestyle to party.

Partying - Coach said I did the best back spiral she'd ever seen me do - my leg was "almost" to my hip. For me, almost is good. My cross strokes were "almost" real cross strokes. So it was almost a party.

Staying in - despite some good spin entries before my program, I let it fall apart, didn't take the time to set it up and it was a mess. Not taking time to set up my waltz jump

Then we worked on half flips. Why can I do decent power 3 turns but freak out to do the 3 turn for the half flip. All this week I am to just work on 3 turns on the line and half flips.

More partying- My artistic rocks!

j

Bill_S
10-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Staying in: I managed to pull a back muscle - I can barely walk today. I didn't go in to skate this morning like I usually do on Wenesdays.

Partying: A student found her way to my office yesterday and told me she used to skate and that she wanted to get back into it. She's been going to public sessions here, but had questions about our rink's freestyle schedule and how things work. She also wants to photograph another adult skater here for a picture story assignment, so I agreed to introduce her.

Staying in: Alas, I had to cancel the introduction tonight because of my back. I'm going straight home after work to rest.

Skittl1321
10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
More partying- My artistic rocks!

j

Always great to hear!

Mrs Redboots
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Staying in: My left knee was very painful this morning and it didn't wear off as it usually does during skating, so I really didn't have much in the way of knee-bend, which slowed me down even more than usual. Worked with my coach on my posture, and I'm quite sure I don't remember him saying I need to lift from my core, not my shoulders/upper back, although I expect he did say so!

Partying: Once we got that sorted, I did some super forward crossovers, only I gather my inside leg doesn't always stay crossed when it should. But I was on edges and upright, and they felt good.

doubletoe
10-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Staying in: My left knee was very painful this morning and it didn't wear off as it usually does during skating, so I really didn't have much in the way of knee-bend, which slowed me down even more than usual. Worked with my coach on my posture, and I'm quite sure I don't remember him saying I need to lift from my core, not my shoulders/upper back, although I expect he did say so!

Partying: Once we got that sorted, I did some super forward crossovers, only I gather my inside leg doesn't always stay crossed when it should. But I was on edges and upright, and they felt good.

Hmm. . . My left knee pain must have migrated across the pond to you because this morning I woke up and for the first time in about 10 days, it was gone! Do you know what yours is being caused by? In my case, the problem seems to stem from strain on my knee from pushing out onto the left forward outside edge. (I have discovered that as long as I avoid basic forward stroking and axel/waltz jump takeoffs, it doesn't tend to bother me too much.)

doubletoe
10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
No, I didn't say so, I just said it was muscle. LOL! My roomies said she's right about the thick thighs thing but that it indeed is muscle... Still, even if something's true, why say it?!
I don't know, she's not anorexic... Well at least she doesn't look like it. But she is a psychologist by education... :roll: I guess somebody used to skip class! Lolz.

OMG, are you serious?! Someone like that becoming a psychologist is the equivalent of an arsonist joining the fire department! :roll:

Isk8NYC
10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Staying in: I managed to pull a back muscle - I can barely walk today.Ouch! Get well soon.

I went to skate at a public session, in the middle of the day, only to find organized group lessons taking place. Decided it wasn't worth the time, so I turned around and came home to work out off-ice.

Sessy
10-24-2007, 03:50 PM
OMG, are you serious?! Someone like that becoming a psychologist is the equivalent of an arsonist joining the fire department! :roll:

LOL! Sad but true... :evil:

SynchroSk8r114
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
GOOD LUCK and remember to make the judges wish they were YOU out there having a great time dancing to wonderful music. (Even if you don't like the music or the dance... you can fool them into thinking YOU are in paradise while testing.)

Good luck on your dances - I hope to take these SOMEDAY!!!;)

Thanks, everyone! I ended up passing both my Starlight and my Paso. All 3 judges passed my Paso (the one I was super worried about!) and 2 of the three passed my Starlight, so...yay! :mrgreen:

All I've got left is the Blues, which I can hopefully test by the end of this year, then it's on to Gold dances! Wow...only 5 more to go! :mrgreen:

doubletoe
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Yay, Synchroskater!!! :D :bow:

blackmanskating
10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Staying in: Well my coach decided to scrap all of the choreography for my bronze FS test and develope some new stuff. He said that since I cannot display my jumping ability because I can only do singles for this test, I will display my edge quality instead. He's throwing, rockers, counters, and brackets in the mix as transitions and entrances into these single jumps. Man I was struggling with all of the changes. I wasn't even thinking about the jumps because that was the easiest part for me. I even have a straight line footwork sequence all packed into 1.5 minute program. I have 30 days to get this thing together. I think it's overkill for a Bronze FS Test, but I kinda like the challenge. I know if I pull this off, there is no way I could fail this test.

Partying: Good news is my jumps and spins are good. Even my sit spin is improving. It's gradually starting to get lower. My thigh is now parallel to the ice. I'm working to get lower though.

Isk8NYC
10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks, everyone! I ended up passing both my Starlight and my Paso. All 3 judges passed my Paso (the one I was super worried about!) and 2 of the three passed my Starlight, so...yay! :mrgreen:

All I've got left is the Blues, which I can hopefully test by the end of this year, then it's on to Gold dances! Wow...only 5 more to go! :mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Rusty Blades
10-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Partying: Had physio after work today. Therapist says I have tendinitis in the three ligaments that extend the forward portion of the foot (which explains why it happened on Waltz jumps and why I can't do them without considerable pain). She said it is easily treatable and I can continue skating.

Staying in: I guess that means I go back to working on two new programs for a competition in a month ...... IN A MONTH??!!! OMG!

Skittl1321
10-24-2007, 06:14 PM
I ended up passing both my Starlight and my Paso.

Congratulations!

dbny
10-24-2007, 08:16 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

and:

I ended up passing both my Starlight and my Paso. All 3 judges passed my Paso (the one I was super worried about!) and 2 of the three passed my Starlight, so...yay! :mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS!

Staying In:
Last week's lesson was so miserable I couldn't bring myself to write about it then. I was just too tired to do anything. My core was like jelly and I nearly fell on both FO and FI threes.

Partying:
I did actually manage a few decent one foot spins, and started to feel better as I skated more. Still have not had any practice time, but yesterday started teaching BO threes to older DD, who is now coaching a bit. She had no idea how scared I was to keep doing them for her, but do them I did, and they weren't so bad on the L. Only did two on the R because I'm a chicken and tired also. Also started her on B power pulls, and was told that I made them look so easy :mrgreen:. Tomorrow is one of my longest days at work, starting at 9 AM. If I can get enough sleep tonight, I will have some practice time in between the lessons and office work.

Skittl1321
10-24-2007, 09:51 PM
HUGE PARTY I did tons and tons of brackets today. I got up to FIVE in a row. I am so so so happy I just want to shout from the roof tops that I can do consecutive brackets- but no one would have any idea what I was talking about, so I thought I'd tell you all here. I've never been able to complete the backward one- after the forward one (so I've just done ONE) and today it just clicked. The first try I did two, then three, then I got up to FIVE! Just on my right foot, mind you, but still BRACKETS!!!

vesperholly
10-25-2007, 12:43 AM
HUGE PARTY I did tons and tons of brackets today. I got up to FIVE in a row. I am so so so happy I just want to shout from the roof tops that I can do consecutive brackets- but no one would have any idea what I was talking about, so I thought I'd tell you all here. I've never been able to complete the backward one- after the forward one (so I've just done ONE) and today it just clicked. The first try I did two, then three, then I got up to FIVE! Just on my right foot, mind you, but still BRACKETS!!!
Were you doing those bracket-3-bracket patterns from Novice MITF? Those were so hard for me to learn, but once I finally did I was overjoyed.

singerskates
10-25-2007, 02:17 AM

I'll be praying for you D. Take care and don't forget the R.I.C.E. everytime you get off the ice.

Your skating bud, B.

Thin-Ice
10-25-2007, 03:22 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sessy
10-25-2007, 05:05 AM
congratulations, synchrosk8ter!

Caris
10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Staying right in and hibernating!

Feeling very demoralised about it all really, I have been able to do all the skills for passport bronze silver and gold for a while now, so thought when I started private lessons I'd zoom through much as I did with the LTS levels.
No, instead what has happened is I'm having to do so much work on technique that I'm getting worse and worse and losing all the flow to my skating, and all my confidence in my abilities with it. Seemingly I can't even do two of the bronze reqiremants well enought to pass.
I know it's worth sticking with, but having only four things to work and nothing else for as long as it takes to get me through bronze is really going to drag me down. I'm also worried what's going to happen to my salcow, toe loop sit spin ect while I'm being held back here.

Worst is the three turns, I learnt three turns in my first month on the ice when I did LTS level 6 I think , and have loved them ever since. I have done them into crossovers, toe loops, salcows, so they do have a lot of omph in them, but now they're seemingly not good enough for two joined together to be acceptable.

:(

Skittl1321
10-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Were you doing those bracket-3-bracket patterns from Novice MITF? Those were so hard for me to learn, but once I finally did I was overjoyed.

OH NO! This was just consecutive brackets- in absolutely no fancy pattern. It's the first time I've been able to do more than one. Every other time I've tried them, I've done the forward to backward bracket, and then got stuck half way around when trying to turn back to forward.

Skittl1321
10-25-2007, 07:11 AM
Caris- That's really frustrating.

If you're in private lessons, why not ask your coach to supplement you with skills from other levels? I usually have one lesson on the moves I'm working on, and then the next lesson we just do "whatever" (which usually means jumps or spins, but is sometimes footwork). I haven't been able to do the backspin for Freeskate level 3, but I'm already working on things from Freeskate level 5- becaue I know I'll be stuck in 3 for pretty much ever.

Don't feel so bad- most of us have a bit of trouble when it comes down to "refining technique" after the excitment of "doing the move"

Skate@Delaware
10-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Congrats to all that are passing their tests!!!!!

This is for last night: I had a lesson. Had to tell coach that I haven't skated (not counting what I do for teaching) since last Wednesday. My back hurt so bad that even working on jumps was excruciating, spinning was tolerable. We reviewed the scratch spin and it was decently centered, I'm to concentrate on staying "tight" and keeping my free leg crossed. The backspin was actually better and I've graduated to the big-girl entry: LFI edge, RFI edge, spin....and managed several 2-3 rev spins. On to 3-turns where coach noticed my technique on each of them was different...:?: So we worked on them for a while and they are now assigned as homework.

I could not work on spirals or any jumps, but we closed the lesson with my waltz jump...and now I'm to keep my arms out when I jump (instead of bringing them in).

That's it! Hopefully, this lower back thing will clear up-it's been a literal pain! But I'm lucky I can still skate so I can't complain too much about it.

Bill_S
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
That's it! Hopefully, this lower back thing will clear up-it's been a literal pain!

I feel your pain!

I've got the same thing. Didn't skate yesterday, and won't be able to attend the roller session with the older folks tonight.

Some yard work over the weekend started it, skating on Monday made it worse (I felt the "chink" during a jump), and now I feel like a cripple. These episodes usually pass within a few days for me, although this one is hanging on a little longer for some reason.

Timing is good though -- (how'd that happen?). I've got a manuscript due to a magazine tomorrow, so I'll take advantage of the quiet time to work on that.

Petlover
10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
CONGRATULATIONS SYNCHROSKATER!!!!

Staying In: My rink has a new owner, and the guys who opened this morning overslept, then the zamboni broke halfway through zamming. The skaters and coaches who were there decided to go ahead and skate on half-zammed ice, half wonderful ice, half not so great ice. So, instead of skating an hour this morning, I skated 25 minutes :( .

Partying: Okay, my skating for those 25 minutes was fabulous! Everything worked well, great change foot spins, great loop jump, even a decent rhythm blues end pattern! Also, one of my morning skating buddies is competing on the senior level, and her triple salchow and triple toe were incredibly huge and fabulous this morning, what a thrill to watch her!

icedancer2
10-25-2007, 12:08 PM

Congratulations!!! That is great!

I think the Blues is the easiest one (at least it's the slowest!) so you should have no trouble -- I mean, if I could pass it, I'm sure YOU could!!! [of course, for me, no solo!]).:evil:

SynchroSk8r114
10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Congratulations!!! That is great!

I think the Blues is the easiest one (at least it's the slowest!) so you should have no trouble -- I mean, if I could pass it, I'm sure YOU could!!! [of course, for me, no solo!]).:evil:

Thanks! But, I'm curious...what did you mean by for you, no solo? Did you take the test as a solo or was this a long time ago when partnering didn't require a solo? I always hate solo-ing after partnering...I'm so beat by then from giving it my all during the partnering!

Mrs Redboots
10-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks, everyone! I ended up passing both my Starlight and my Paso. All 3 judges passed my Paso (the one I was super worried about!) and 2 of the three passed my Starlight, so...yay! :mrgreen: Wow! Respect, and
Congratulations!

Hmm. . . My left knee pain must have migrated across the pond to you because this morning I woke up and for the first time in about 10 days, it was gone! Do you know what yours is being caused by? I think it is basically wear and tear and old age and, arguably, the change in the weather! It's got much colder over the last week, and today is mizzly, dank and NARSTY!

Emberchyld
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Party for je and SynchroSk8r114, and healing wishes for all of our injured skaters.

For me, it's a Sleepy Party. Finally ran through my interp. program (for the Halloween classic) yesterday morning on freestyle, and, while it's not as bad as I thought it would be, I'm still trying to figure out the timing (since I've only run it on public ice before and never knew I had so much time for everything when I'm not dodging little kids with sleds of death). And, somewhere in Philadelphia, the skirt is being worked on for my dress (I'm soooooo worried that I won't get it in time. The poor dressmaker is beside herself with all of my calls, and keeps reminding me that it's JUST A SKIRT).

Partytime: My salchow actually feels.. right, I think. I'm starting to realize that if I feel like the world stops for a second before I jump, all is good. If I don't, then I'm probably rotating on the ice.

Sleepytime: In taking a dive to avoid a kid on public ice (why do they always go towards us? WHY?), I definitely pulled my left hip flexor. Again.

It feels like I'll never have pain-free hips again, at the rate I'm going...

doubletoe
10-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I think it is basically wear and tear and old age and, arguably, the change in the weather! It's got much colder over the last week, and today is mizzly, dank and NARSTY!

Can I send you some of our bone dry air and California wildfires to warm you up a bit? We won't miss them, I promise. :P

icedancer2
10-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks! But, I'm curious...what did you mean by for you, no solo? Did you take the test as a solo or was this a long time ago when partnering didn't require a solo? I always hate solo-ing after partnering...I'm so beat by then from giving it my all during the partnering!

I took the test as an Adult - no solo.

I think pre-Gold level dances always required a solo at UNLESS your partner was not so much higher-level than you. I remember I had to solo my Willow Waltz way back in the day (I was 12) because my partner was a Gold dancer - the rules on that have changed and altered all over the place over the years, that's for sure!!

I tried doing my dance tests Standard when coming back to skating as an Adult (after all, I was only 34) but didn't have the stamina to do a decent solo after doing the partner dance and flunked a few tests before coming around to testing Adult. yea - no solo!

quarkiki2
10-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Congrats to all who have passed tests!!

My only ice time at THIS moment is syncho. As Violet gets a little older, I'll return to assisting with LTS and taking my private lessons.

That being said, practice last night wasn't too bad. I hit all of the footwork except a tap and cross/mazurka in the footwork. OK when we weren't skating at lightspeed, not so good when we were. Same with the 1/2 flip at the end of the straight line footwork. After our coach humored my request to slow down a bit, I was hitting the back lunge (and the following footwork) in the straight line footwork again. It sounds crazy, but I actually consider that lunge a breather -- I'm sure the rest of the team would think I was nuts for admitting that, LOL! I swear I actually pick up speed lunging backwards -- or maybe others slow down enough that I just *feel* faster.

I was annoyed at my crossovers into the circle -- for some completely unknown reason, I was leaning totally out of the circle as we transition from line to circle. If we started IN the circle, I was fine. But from teh line I was a disaster. D'oh!

And I practiced the end of the program for a while. It's choreographed in such a way that I get to end in the splits, yay! I've teasingly suggested every season that we needed to do the splits in a program and everyone just groans. And I'm actually doing the splits on the ice 6.5 weeks post-partum and all fat and floppy, hehe...

Rusty Blades
10-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Partying: Whatever the physiotherapist did in our session yesterday worked - I was able to jump again today with NO PAIN! (Well, for an hour at least...)

Hit a couple of Sit Spins - think I got 2 revolutions before body parts started flying off in every direction! Damn those things are fast! Waltz jumps and Toe Loops still need LOTS of work but at least I can do them again! I have 3 more physio sessions before skating again on Tuesday so things are looking up.

Staying In: Nope not today - I am too grateful for being able to skate to complain about anything. (Me without skating makes PMS look like a walk in the park!)

Kim to the Max
10-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Partying! I got the back outside brackets!! Soooo excited! Also was able to do the back inside double 3s going much slower than I usually do. My axel is soooooo close, yet so far.... My layback is getting further back...

Staying in... I've been working on checking my arms on the slide chasse pattern...my back 3 gets a little wild if I don't... My axel, while it seems to be coming back, I'm worried that I won't ever get it and I won't be able to pass my Juvenile test and then I won't be able to get back into teaching :(

doubletoe
10-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Partying! I got the back outside brackets!! Soooo excited! Also was able to do the back inside double 3s going much slower than I usually do. My axel is soooooo close, yet so far.... My layback is getting further back...

Staying in... I've been working on checking my arms on the slide chasse pattern...my back 3 gets a little wild if I don't... My axel, while it seems to be coming back, I'm worried that I won't ever get it and I won't be able to pass my Juvenile test and then I won't be able to get back into teaching :(

Hey, great progress!! By the way, I have managed to never once do a layback spin. . . not that I've tried *that* hard, but. . . any tips? :)

singerskates
10-26-2007, 12:59 AM
Partying: Whatever the physiotherapist did in our session yesterday worked - I was able to jump again today with NO PAIN! (Well, for an hour at least...) Yeah!!!!!! I'm glad you're jumping again.

Hit a couple of Sit Spins - think I got 2 revolutions before body parts started flying off in every direction! Damn those things are fast! Wait until you get down further and you're freeleg is out straight and in the right position. You'll be having to unwind yourself like I do when I do my forward corkscrew so you can get rid of the dizzy feeling. LOL
Waltz jumps and Toe Loops still need LOTS of work but at least I can do them again! Before my lesson today my Salchow was very much a sourchow but no matter how you jump your jumps when you first are able to do them again after being restricted from doing them, it's awesome. Isn't it?

Staying In: Nope not today - I am too grateful for being able to skate to complain about anything. (Me without skating makes PMS look like a walk in the park!) Hmmm, good thing PMS is long done for you because if it weren't and you couldn't skate, who knows what you'd do. Just using my imagination from when I couldn't skate for months on end because of a work place injury and illnesses during most of 2005 and 2006.

Just injoy for now girlfriend.

singerskates

singerskates
10-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Partied all the way:

Today I got my old coach back who once took me to a Double Salchow, Camel, Backspin and ready to test my Prelim FS test just before the second work place injury on top of the first work place injury stopped me from skating back in spring of 2005 just days before I was scheduled to test.

Vern Taylor is an awesome coach. He fixed my Sourchow and made it into a decent Salchow that actually leaves the ice and lands with grace again. (note: it will be a while before I try doing a double again. plus I need to pass the prelim FS test before going for the junior bronze FS before I can even think about using the 2 salchow in my program.)

We got me working on low deep crosscuts forward and back without lifting feet. Boy you need to have Gumby muscles with the strength of steel for those. Guess who's going to take Yoga at the gym to fix the leg muscles?
I even tried a few loops after doing a few back CCW no lifting of the feet crosscuts and it fet better than before.

Vern's got me thinking not just about my arms when I land a jump, but even the tips of my fingers.

And what really surprised me was that after all these years of being a sloppy skater skating backwards, Vern says that my backwards skating is much stronger now than my forward skating. Is that a twist or what? Sure surprised me.

Well, now I have two male coaches. Paul on Saturdays at my home club and Vern on Thursdays at a Windsor rink when I skate city ice/ticket ice for only $7 a 2 hour session. Not a bad deal, is it? Coaching fees extra.

I'm trying to egg on Vern to get himself ready for Adult Canadians to compete in the new Adult Competitive FS event which will be premiering in Brampton, Ontario this time out at Adult Canadains. Luc Bradet (a past Skate Canada Canadian Senior's Pair Champion who has competed in pairs at reg. ISU Worlds) has competed at last years Adult Canadians and at the 2007 ISU Adult Competition. So why not get my coach Vern who was in the past the first person to ever land a Triple Axel in competition to compete at Adult Canadians?

Tomorrow (Friday) is a no coach day/practice day at my home club rink.

singerskates

Kim to the Max
10-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey, great progress!! By the way, I have managed to never once do a layback spin. . . not that I've tried *that* hard, but. . . any tips? :)

I tend to be pretty flexible, so that helps a lot...but....I have also found that practicing the position at the wall helps too :) And make sure to push your hips forward!

sk8tegirl06
10-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Party: I passed pre-pre moves today!!! :D Waltz 8 was a little iffy in terms of making it back to center, but I passed!!! Now onto freestyle, in December hopefully.

Kim to the Max
10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Party: I passed pre-pre moves today!!! :D Waltz 8 was a little iffy in terms of making it back to center, but I passed!!! Now onto freestyle, in December hopefully.

Congrats!!

Skittl1321
10-26-2007, 12:01 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

SynchroSk8r114
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Great job! Wow, there's so many of us passing tests recently! Way to go everyone! :bow:

Sessy
10-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Partying
-Did a change-edge spiral. My first one, with a really lousy inside edge at the end, but hey! The rest of the class is still struggling on the edge spirals, which seem to be kind to me today. On the inside edges I drop my free leg after getting the right position apparently, but I think it's just a muscle strength issue.
-camel spin IS happening, and I can catch my blade from it!
-Back outside to inside 3 turns are a piece of cake, and I think I can do a twizzle slowly (yes lie on the middle of the blade, not a series of 3-turns)
-Change-foot spin is happening pretty well, backspin is happening but from an entry I'd never expected: from a double 3! I accidently did it but I could really SPIN from it, fast... Hmmm are you allowed to do it that way?

Staying in
-The skates are much better after denting out but I'm gonna guess it's gonna take another 3 dent outs, one left and two right. I'm so depressed. :(
-Got a new exercise to help my sit spin, at least now I feel when I raise the hip and drop the shoulder. Still not even a hint at a sit spin though.
-Forward bielman played mind games on me thrice in a row, the forth time I did it. Tried to flip edge on the bielman but that didn't really work, I just went onto a flat.

doubletoe
10-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I tend to be pretty flexible, so that helps a lot...but....I have also found that practicing the position at the wall helps too :) And make sure to push your hips forward!

Thanks! I have done those things, but come to think of it, I haven't really tried a layback since I started doing backbends religiously a few months ago. Maybe it will be easier if I try it now. . . Hmm. . .

Kim to the Max
10-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks! I have done those things, but come to think of it, I haven't really tried a layback since I started doing backbends religiously a few months ago. Maybe it will be easier if I try it now. . . Hmm. . .

I have also found that as I practice them more, and become more comfortable with the position, I am able to lay further back.

sk8tegirl06
10-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks everybody! This test and the freestyle test really mean a lot to me because I started working on them 6-7 years ago and then stopped skating for like 5 years. At this point last year, I was in ISI delta/gamma, so I am beyond pleased with my progress!

cherriee
10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Wow... this looks like a partying week for most! CONGRATS to all, test passed, back from injury, etc. :bow:

For me I'm going to try the you-know-who bunny hop tomorrow. :mrgreen:

doubletoe
10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
I have also found that as I practice them more, and become more comfortable with the position, I am able to lay further back.

How about the dizziness factor, with the ceiling spinning?

Rob Dean
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Staying In: It hasn't been a great week for the schedule. I was unable to schedule a dance lesson and I missed one of my regular skating days, on a week which falls between two week-long business trips. So, most things won't start to seriously improve again until the week of the 5th or so...

Partying: On the other hand, what time there was wasn't bad. I spent a lesson with my coach (still out of skates from an injury) on the ABM patterns, which are improving, and the back progressives (which had caused my latest painful fall during a ten-fox, and which I therefore desired to get right). My son was thrilled yesterday to talk me into trying (and succeeding with) my first back 3 (RBO3 as it happens) followed by a held edge (as opposed to a couple of tries previously resulting in an immediate foot down), and then into a two move RFI3/RBO3. So, not really too bad for a short week.

I'll echo the congratulations to testers. We had a test session at UD today and my son passed his intermediate moves and preliminary freestyle, so he's been happy for the rest of the day. :)

Rob

Kim to the Max
10-26-2007, 07:26 PM

hmmm...that I don't know....but, I just generally don't get dizzy anyway....

So...had my lesson tonight...

Partying!! Started working on my program tonight with coach. sooooo excited!! I'm finally getting the scratch/back scratch from the pre-juv freestyle test...that spin is just so awkward... Power 3s were good, coach wants me to start getting a nice cadence to them...

Staying in... The brackets I had yesterday, decided to leave me again...ugh...I just want to do them already! I need my skates sharpened :(

mikawendy
10-26-2007, 09:48 PM
My son was thrilled yesterday to talk me into trying (and succeeding with) my first back 3 (RBO3 as it happens) followed by a held edge (as opposed to a couple of tries previously resulting in an immediate foot down), and then into a two move RFI3/RBO3. So, not really too bad for a short week.

I'll echo the congratulations to testers. We had a test session at UD today and my son passed his intermediate moves and preliminary freestyle, so he's been happy for the rest of the day. :)

Rob

Congrats on the back 3 and the double 3--I'm having difficulty with a held edge myself. And congrats to your son on his tests. I really haven't seen him in a while if he's past intermediate moves now!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

sk8tegirl06
10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I was at the UD test too. You were the ice monitor person right?

Isk8NYC
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Congrats to all our test passers!
Party: I passed pre-pre moves today!!! :D

my son passed his intermediate moves and preliminary freestyle, so he's been happy for the rest of the day. :)

Isk8NYC
10-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Partying:
I decided to be a trooper and drive in the pouring rain to skate. Saw a woman I had met last week and she introduced me to a fellow NY-refugee skater. Very nice people; too bad the rink's a tad too far away. Maybe I'll do a once-a-week trip there.

MITF: Mediocre, although the spiral sequence wasn't half bad and I really did well on the Power 3's. Until I missed a step, caught the blade tail under the heel other foot and had my third fall of the day. (I hurt all over now)

What went right? Inside spreadeagles, FI->FO spirals were noisy but decent, and FI twizzles. Why can I do FI twizzles with one arm over my head but not with a check position? Grrr.

Staying In:
I skated horribly today - kept falling/skidding on my right foot. I know I need a sharpening badly, can't wait until next month's trip. I'll have to take a chance on a highly recommended guy down here. Sounds like he's competent.

To add to my misery, I bruised my middle toes really badly. It's not very swollen (I did ice it), so they're probably not broken, but I taped them anyway just in case.

No jumps at all. Spins were traveling and weak. Almost wiped out on the forward crossover circles - too close to the wall.
Didn't try the backward circles, waaay too worried about slamming into the wall.

singerskates
10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Partying Although I had to leave after the first session today to get home to leave with hubby for dinner in Detroit I had a good skate day at my home rink for a change.

The ice was virtually empty except for a coach, her child and her yet to be coach brother for about 20 minutes before the next skater showed up to skate.

Things that went well for me today: Forward scratch (at least 8 to 10 revs), forward sitspin, forward sit/broken/scratch (another skater counted 12 revs in total), Salchows were strong and not sour (LOL), Toe Loop is getting a good pop off of the toe pick and a nice landing, Waltz jump is now popping near a foot off of the ice and I was able to run through my test freeskate program without stopping for a change because of too many beginner skaters on the Open session. Oh, I forgot my loop is improving, almost landing without touching the freeleg down. Waltz/mazuka/salchow/toe loop had all of the jumps strong and popping up nicely off of the ice and good landings. Change edge RFO to RFI spiral starting to get its shape back and the RFI is starting to get stronger. LFO Spiral is my strongest spiral because I'm nicely on a deep outside edge and my freeleg gets nicely above my hip.
Tried skating with socks in my skates instead of kneehighs and had a much better fit. I wasn't slidding in my skates anymore and I felt more confident.

Staying:
Half flip/flip/toe combo; I keep wide stepping with the toe when I pick in and I just know it's the reason why I keep having to touch down with my freeleg on the landing of the flip. Need to get an exercise to stop wide stepping the pick in of the flip. Anyone know of some?

dbny
10-26-2007, 11:42 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

Partying:
Had a good lesson today in spite of (yet again :frus:) no practice all week. Prelim power threes were on pattern and faster than painfully slow, with nicely controlled Choctaws on both sides, and very little swing in the threes. Alt FO three pattern was the best I've ever skated (tho still not passing), and alt FI threes was not as bad as expected.

Staying In:
I'm in choreography H*ll, having spent the last several hours just cutting the music for my student's basic 7 program to be skated in competition next week 8O. I won't go into the why's and wherefor's of this last minute mess except to say that this particular student's mother wants her to be a tennis champ, even though she would rather skate. Skating plays a distant second fiddle, with lots of cancelled lessons and uncertaintly about the scheduled ones. Think I'll be getting up early to finish and will most likely finalize it on the ice tomorrow in her lesson :giveup:.

vesperholly
10-27-2007, 12:39 AM
For laybacks, I either close my eyes or they're so unfocused that I don't see anything at all, let alone the ceiling. :)

Sessy
10-27-2007, 03:34 AM
*&"^%$|^@%$^&!@@**(&@"%%^"!R@&"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the skates are back the way they were. THATS IT, I'm taking them to the shop that dented mom's skates out (even though it's on the other side of the country) I don't care what they think (originally we discussed maybe buying skates there but it was too far away in the end)

The guy at my skating shop says "maybe they have better equipment if your mother's skates kept the shape".
Yeah well, maybe YOU should get better equipment. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile I DID start to get bone growth. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh yeah and smartass skating club?! "You shouldn't get skates this hard"
I KNOW darn well I shouldn't get skates this hard, but did any of you actually have any ADVICE on anything? Like the broken ankle? Like when I kept complaining I couldn't skate on risports? I can't skate on edea either! And by Graf they don't sell anything between Davos and Edmonton in the Netherlands! By Jackson they don't sell anything over the Classique, which will not hold me, and I'm not gonna order skates on the internet without ever trying them on, strange huh! Did any of you advise to go abroad? No, then just SHUT THE F UP! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And the coach?
"My daughter gets bone growth real bad too. Well we had it surgically removed when it got infected, it was the size of a pingpong ball!"
*sigh* And where, exactly, were you as a mother looking while it was growing to that size?! Are you suggesting I should just let it grow and then get surgery?!

Skate@Delaware
10-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I feel your pain!

I've got the same thing. Didn't skate yesterday, and won't be able to attend the roller session with the older folks tonight.

Some yard work over the weekend started it, skating on Monday made it worse (I felt the "chink" during a jump), and now I feel like a cripple. These episodes usually pass within a few days for me, although this one is hanging on a little longer for some reason.

Timing is good though -- (how'd that happen?). I've got a manuscript due to a magazine tomorrow, so I'll take advantage of the quiet time to work on that.
Thanks, Bill. Normally when I'm laid up with an illness or injury I work on stuff (websites, reading, or sewing) but since these all require sitting (which causes excruciating sciatic-like pain) I'm not even doing these activities! I have watched more tv in the past two weeks than I have in the past year!

Let's hope we heal soon!!!!

Rob Dean
10-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I was at the UD test too. You were the ice monitor person right?

Yes, that was me.