View Full Version : Anyone competing at Skate San Francisco 2007?

jazzpants
10-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Any of you guys happen to be competing at Skate San Francisco this year? If so, please post and let me know which events you're in so that I can come cheer for 'ya!!! (Yes, even if you happen to compete against me!!! I'm in it this year to enjoy the experience of being a Bronze lady!!! :mrgreen: )

BTW: My events:

Bronze Ladies FS Group III - BTW, no idea if my group will be combined with other ages but previous experience has told me that if we're grouped, that it will be with the IV's and the V's than the I's and II's. But it really depends on the entries.
Bronze Ladies/FS 4 ArtisticBoth new program and you gotta see my new hard earned slim figure in the the new skating dresses (especially the FS program Sharene dress!) No sausage casings here!!! :mrgreen:

PattyP
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Ok, so I'm a little late...I haven't been here much lately.

I had to pull out of Skate SF due to a prior commitment. I had my dates mixed up. Oh well. I will miss seeing everyone :cry: especially Jazz!

Good luck and skate pretty this weekend!!

doubletoe
11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Both new program and you gotta see my new hard earned slim figure in the the new skating dresses (especially the FS program Sharene dress!) No sausage casings here!!! :mrgreen:

I wanna see a picture! :D

hepcat
11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Good luck, Jazzpants! I don't know what day you're skating but I did see one of your programs earlier this week and you're going to do fantastic! :bow:

jazzpants
11-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Just skated my technical tonight! Really tired...

I got a Bronze medal!!! (Of course, no one has to know that it's 3rd out of 3... ;) ) I knew going into this a LOOONG time ago that I'm going into this for the experience and to be able to finally make my Bronze debut, not to beat anyone. (I mean, geez... I have a LOT to catch up on now before I finally become competitive here!!!)

I had a good time overall! I'm happy to see all these wonderful skaters out there doing their thing. And of course, seeing my fellow skaters at the rink, Thin-Ice, and a couple of other people on the other skating board made it a FANTASTIC Bronze FS debut experience!!! :mrgreen:

Thin-Ice did a wonderful job with HER debut as a Silver lady tonight too. I was watching her program as I was waiting to get my solo podium shot taken.

BOTH my primary and secondary coach was there to watch. (Secondary coach was very kind to stay late to watch me actually.) Both agreed that today's skate wasn't too bad. I landed my loop in the warm up but two-footed my loop in the program. :frus: Flip decided to stay in the Bahamas too! Didn't even show up in the warm up even! GRRRRR!!! :evil: Other than that, I attacked this program, as primary coach wanted me to do.

But my biggest compliment came from secondary coach. It was also very weird and funny too! Dialog goes like this:

Secondary coach: "You skated up!" 8O
Me: "I skated up? What d'ya mean???" (I was confused. I tested Bronze. I'm skating at the level I'm at...)
Secondary coach: "I mean...*sigh* okay, you didn't land the loop in the program, but you attacked that program! You had speed... really good flow! And you even had a decent spiral. How come you don't do that during our lesson??? :evil: " (My note: I didn't intentionally or knowingly do this, but personally... I'd rather "skate up" at a competition than to use it up during my lesson!!!)

Of course, NOW I'm in trouble with my secondary coach b/c of this! :oops:

Doubletoe: We'll probably have photos probably in the next week from Reaction Photography. The podium shots will be at least 3 weeks. All I have right now really is DH's very fuzzy photos using his Blackberry. :giveup: However, DH claims that there was one action shot where my jump "was at least 2 feet up in the air." (Huh? Since when do I jump 2 feet up in the air? 8O ) DH says that was enough that it sold him to get all the action shots on CD... he wants my in-laws to see the photos! :oops:

Must go collapse and get ready for my Interp tomorrow. I get to see Thin-Ice tomorrow too! In fact, I get to skate with Thin-Ice in the same event!!! :mrgreen: I have more stuff to mention about when I recover... :giveup:

Mrs Redboots
11-02-2007, 03:48 AM
Congratulations, Jazzpants (and Thin-Ice, too).

You, like so many of us, obviously have what I call the "performance gene" - the atmosphere of a competition and an audience actually helps your skating, rather than hinders it. I have it, and so, I suspect, does Husband, which always surprises me given how self-conscious he can be off the ice! Sadly, not all of us do have it. It's frustrating for our coaches, as we always do so much better than they expect in competition and tests, and then can't reproduce it in weekly lessons and practice, but it's probably better that way round than people who skate brilliantly in their lessons and then go to pieces when it matters!

Think of us on Sunday - on paper, we haven't a hope of finishing other than either last, or very close to it, but stranger things have happened....

Isk8NYC
11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Good Luck Jazzpants and Thin Ice!
Show 'em how to skate!

dbny
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Congratulations on your first Bronze Bronze! Good luck today to Jazz and Thin Ice.

jazzpants
11-02-2007, 08:20 PM
My comps are DONE!!! THANK GOODNESS!!! :bow:

I am very proud of Thin-Ice, who forgot her Interp program and had to improv it! I obviously didn't know that she was doing all improv! :bow: (Molly "Grandma got run over by a reindeer and "cow lady" won our event.) And thank you for the stuffed bunny. It will go on my bookshelf right next to Raye's "Canadian bear." So CUTE!!! :mrgreen:

I got the Bronze!!! I was quite surprised about the HUGE crowd that came out to watch this particular program!!! THANK YOU!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (I was also surprised also when waiting for the scores that Rudy (yes, that Rudy!) came up to me and said that I did great on my program and that I was "shakin' my thang!" OMG!!!)

In other news: I found out that my NYC coach is also in town for this comp... unfortunately he only had one student to put out and the student is NOT an adult. And he had other plans so he couldn't make it to watch me. :cry: I did see him yesterday though. It's nice to see him again... even though it was only for a short time.

Other note worthy moments:
I'm thankful that during the warmup I was relieved of that "arm waving two foot" thing that Jay wanted me to do right towards the end. When he asked me to do the stuff after the falling leaf, my response was "Oh, no... 8O "
He then said "Then go ahead and do your footwork then..." So I did the version that secondary coach gave me... and he said "Hmmm? I like it! Just make sure the arms are straight up." I guess he knew I was stressing about this. And for him to say it's okay to do my old footwork was exactly what I needed to relax and go have fun with my program!!! :mrgreen:

And BTW: Fair warning for 'ya for when the pictures are up... that hair is REALLY HUGE!!! 8O

dbny
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
More CONGRATULATIONS to you, Jazzpants! Is there any video?

mikawendy
11-02-2007, 09:15 PM

And pictures! pictures! :D :D :D

doubletoe
11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Just skated my technical tonight! Really tired...

I got a Bronze medal!!!

Yay, Jazzpants!!! :mrgreen:
Let's hear it for Thin-Ice, too! :D

Mrs Redboots
11-03-2007, 05:39 AM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb268/crabsclaw_bucket/congrats0175.gif

But come on, pictures, pictures, we want pictures!!! And videos!

Isk8NYC
11-03-2007, 09:04 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!

jazzpants
11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
And pictures! pictures! :D :D :D
Alright! Alright! Well, pictures will probably come when Reaction Photography uploads the photos to their website and I'm hoping to get my DVD's of both my program in time to show the relatives at Christmas, but here is the unofficial artistic program that hepcat saw the other day... courtesy of DH and his new camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvp9pDokCM

Note 1: Yes, that's my DH yelling out "Go Joanna" at the beginning.
Note 2: Towards the beginning of my straightline stuff, that was Jay yelling!!!
Note 3: Took about a half hour to 45 minutes (with shower to watch off all the hair spray) to get the "big hair" out (which I'm relieved that it don't look so big in the video...)

kander did NOT have to wait to see the photos already b/c he is (as we speak) watching the events at Skate SF right now and they have the photos at the event to view there. But he hasn't seen the video and he's bugging me about this earlier this afternoon. And I'm sure skaternum probably wants to see this video just b/c she wants a reason to blackmail me with more pictures of me in a skating dress :twisted: , so... you two...here you go! :P

Have a good laugh, guys!!!

kander
11-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Woo Hoo, way to go Jazz! I had to look at the pictures to make sure it was actually you wearing the skating dress and not your evil twin sister :twisted:

Does anybody know why both novice pairs bailed?

I didn't hang around too much longer. I really would have liked to see the senior men, but they didn't start until 10 pm!!!! One poor group of adults didn't start until 11 pm.

I wonder how many skaters will show up an hour early tomorrow because they forgot about DST.

Kevin

jazzpants
11-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Woo Hoo, way to go Jazz! I had to look at the pictures to make sure it was actually you wearing the skating dress and not your evil twin sister :twisted: LOL!! No, it's not Jay skating for me! :twisted: That was really me there!!!

I noticed you didn't stay longer. I came back after dinner and posting the video on here. :P I just got back from YB! LOL!!!

And one of the poor skaters not only had to worry about skating late at night but that her new boots and blades were causing trouble for her. She was overheard telling her coach "These aren't my skates!" And she was skating reasonable well in her artistic yesterday too. Oh, dear... 8O (Yes, never compete and break in your new skates at the same time. It's a dangerous combo...)

Both Sr. Men (Nick and Michael) skated very well. (Jordan Wilson was a surprise skater in the short but skipped out on the FS.)

I have no clue why both Novice Pairs bailed.

WeirFan06
11-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Does anybody know why both novice pairs bailed?

They were both injured. One guy got a concussion the other day, and I can't remember about the other pair, but one of them is injured in some capacity. it's too bad, they're fun to watch.

doubletoe
11-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey, Jazzy, I didn't realize you were skating to my favorite song of all time! "Let's Groove" has been my favorite song ever since it came out in--I think--1981. More than 20 years later, it was the song I had cranked up in the limo at my bachelorette party four years ago, LOL!

Anyway, you look GREAT! Very slim, and I also think your ice coverage and stroking is smoother! You are turning into a strong Bronze skater! :bow:

jazzpants
11-04-2007, 11:54 AM
They were both injured. One guy got a concussion the other day, and I can't remember about the other pair, but one of them is injured in some capacity. it's too bad, they're fun to watch.Which guy had the concussion? Aria or the other guy? That is really bad. :cry: (Yes, Aria and his big sister Tasha are yet another one of those kids I play "Auntie" to. I have way too many nieces and nephews b/c of this sport!!! LOL!!! :bow: :mrgreen: )

hepcat
11-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Yes, that was definitely the program I saw you doing! You look great here, and you REALLY use the whole ice, wow! I'm impressed! Great job!

Terri C
11-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Great program- you will rock da house in LP!!

Debbie S
11-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Great job, Jazz! Congratulations on your medals! :bow: :D

looplover
11-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Great job, you look fantastic!!!!:mrgreen:

Thin-Ice
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Congratulations Jazzpants!!! You were really much better than you give yourself credit for. You were probably channeling Jay and didn't even realize it for your Interp. (and yes I WOULD know!!!).:bow: The next time we are competing against each other though, I DO intend to give you more of a run for your money. About an hour after our event, I figured out why I forgot my program... I was limping and realized I had been for a few hours... so obviously, I was so intent on just doing something I DIDN'T FEEL THE PAIN. (I have a bad ankle that gets somewhat better and somewhat worse.. but never really goes away, so I've learned to tune it out as best I can nearly all the time.):roll:

Anyway, I'm sooooo proud of you and I have to say even though I had two unacceptable by my standards skates, the look on your face when you realized you had won the Bronze medal was worth the entire weekend!

Both of your programs will only get better with more time on them. And wow.. do you look great in your skinny dress from Sharene!! You should be soooo pleased with your progress on sooo many levels from last year. You totally rock!!!:bow:

P.S. You had the hardest position to skate in -- RIGHT AFTER Molly... and you really held your own!

jazzpants
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Hey, Jazzy, I didn't realize you were skating to my favorite song of all time! "Let's Groove" has been my favorite song ever since it came out in--I think--1981. More than 20 years later, it was the song I had cranked up in the limo at my bachelorette party four years ago, LOL!Your favorite tune! How KEWL!!! 8-) After more than 25 years (yes, it was 1981 when it came out...) that tune is still great to groove with.

And after 20 years of walking by that particular jazz dance class in college, I finally got a shot to do that piece. Only hitch is... it's solo and I have to do it on ice skates. LOL!!! :twisted:

Congratulations Jazzpants!!! You were really much better than you give yourself credit for. You were probably channeling Jay and didn't even realize it for your Interp. (and yes I WOULD know!!!).:bow: The next time we are competing against each other though, I DO intend to give you more of a run for your money. About an hour after our event, I figured out why I forgot my program... I was limping and realized I had been for a few hours... so obviously, I was so intent on just doing something I DIDN'T FEEL THE PAIN. (I have a bad ankle that gets somewhat better and somewhat worse.. but never really goes away, so I've learned to tune it out as best I can nearly all the time.):roll: Oh, geez! I figured it was something like that! Sorry to hear about your ankle! :(

I really have to up my game on the artistic and both coaches and I are gonna figure out what I need to do during the program to up my artistic score. I'm gonna have to do more research on jazz dance classes to see what I can fit into my schedule. Gonna be hard though fitting in that with my job, skating, gym workouts, doctors, house stuff...

Anyway, I'm sooooo proud of you and I have to say even though I had two unacceptable by my standards skates, the look on your face when you realized you had won the Bronze medal was worth the entire weekend!I was shocked! We (Jay, secondary coach and I) went into this for the experience and just to get my program out. My focus at that competition is to do a clean programs (GRRRR on the technical!!! :evil: ) and learn to sell two programs personalities MUCH bolder (read: diva) than who I am normally!!! (Personality wise, I'm more suited for Enya or lyrical dance pieces... but Jay said "Pick a faster piece. I'm not gonna let you do Enya type music this time around.")

Both of your programs will only get better with more time on them. OOOOOH, yes! I got a LOT to work on for both programs! Choreography and skating levels. I really really need to start working on that lutz, get my other two jumps (loop and flip) stable at faster speed, and of course, deal with the "brain farts" when we run thru the music. And I have more work to do to get that "diva" personality out.

P.S. You had the hardest position to skate in -- RIGHT AFTER Molly... and you really held your own!Yeah, no kiddin'!!! Molly is definitely Ms. Artistic/Interp!!! (And she told me in the locker room afterwards that "Grandma and the reindeers" will be back...) :mrgreen: :bow:

I got a lot to work on for the artistic and I'm gonna up to do a LOT of reworking to up my scores. I definitely could do a LOT better job "vamping" and booty shakin' at the beginning! I hope I don't have to resort to gymnastic moves, since Jay doesn't like my catch-foot at all and I can't do all those Y-spirals stuff on the ice yet (and it took me forever and A LOT of work on and off ice just to get the spirals to be the way they are now.) :frus:

Thank you for the comments on my new slim figure! I would have never thought 3 months ago that I would get slim enough for Skate SF. I've been trying to slim down for 5-6 months prior to that and was still stuck and thought "This is not working" and "What's wrong with my body? I do all this work and I'm still getting fatter!?!?!" I am thankful the dietitian/personal trainer combo helped me from looking like I came out of a sausage factory. LOL!!!

jskater49
11-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Congratulations Jazzpants - Hey I would have mistaken you for one of the kids!

j

jazzpants
11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Congratulations Jazzpants - Hey I would have mistaken you for one of the kids!LOL!!! Thank you!!! :bow: Yeah, I'm a kid alright -- 40 year old one!!! :lol: Eh... does "kid at heart" count? :P (It's also funny b/c kander said the same thing after seeing this picture (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W.0 LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_5840).)

DH says this (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W.0 LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_5859) is the "money shot."

Oh, dear! I hate it when the camera adds on 10 extra pounds, as is the case for this one (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W*0 20CR*NLT-Nd.0LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_1416)... :oops: And kander says this is my imitation of our Governor (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W*0 20CR*NLT-Nd.0LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_1435). :lol:

mikawendy
11-06-2007, 11:23 PM
LOL!!! Thank you!!! :bow: Yeah, I'm a kid alright -- 40 year old one!!! :lol: Eh... does "kid at heart" count? :P (It's also funny b/c kander said the same thing after seeing this picture (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W.0 LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_5840).)

DH says this (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W.0 LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_5859) is the "money shot."

Oh, dear! I hate it when the camera adds on 10 extra pounds, as is the case for this one (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W*0 20CR*NLT-Nd.0LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_1416)... :oops: And kander says this is my imitation of our Governor (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W*0 20CR*NLT-Nd.0LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_1435). :lol:

I luurve the purple dress!!! It looks great on you and the color is great. You look great in all the pics, even the Aaahnold one ;) --very photogenic. All the work at the gym and with the dieting shows!

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Lovely photos!

flutzilla1
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
LOL!!! Thank you!!! :bow: Yeah, I'm a kid alright -- 40 year old one!!! :lol: Eh... does "kid at heart" count? :P (It's also funny b/c kander said the same thing after seeing this picture (http://www.reactionphotography.com/vs/?.ZS7HSL0CY*L0b*DN0Jb*zozzwo.7DH80d*DQLZC1*NKV8W.0 LL0ZP*,6CDA20l.JA-MLH_5840).)

You look FANTASTIC! I hope my HC photos turn out half as well! :)