View Full Version : Latest opinions on parabolics?

daisies
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I did a search, but the last post on the subject was six months ago, and since I am in the market for new skates, I thought I'd bring it up again!

I have worn MK Gold Stars for as long as I can remember and intend to get them again. What is the advantage of parabolics? From what I have read, it makes turns and spins easier. If I am reading correctly, it's because you turn on the center of the blade rather than from front to back/back to front. As someone who did figures for eons, I'm thinking that might feel weird to me.

Any and all opinions are welcome! Thanks!

blackmanskating
10-18-2007, 06:09 PM
You know what?? I would like to know about parabolics as well. I hear they help with Twizzles. I need all the help I can get with those. I can do double 3-turns but I can't seem to keep it going. I wear gold seals and I'm afraid of anything messing up what I've developed so far. So any new personal experience with them would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

BlackManSkating

Award
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm just guessing that parabolics are like the modern snow ski ...... which has curved sides too....something like this )(

It's meant to allow the skate or ski turn or go around bends (or do turns) with less effort from the person wearing the skate or ski. I have no idea how much less effort though hehe....but obviously something must work since they're making them with these curved shapes these days.

dbny
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm just guessing that parabolics are like the modern snow ski ...... which has curved sides too....something like this )(

It's meant to allow the skate or ski turn or go around bends (or do turns) with less effort from the person wearing the skate or ski.

It's a great innovation for skis, but skate blades are much, much shorter, and the word I've heard is that the difference is imperceptible.

techskater
10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I love my parabolics. I am on my second pair. It's helped my spins and (maybe it's placebo effect) but I feel my edges to be easier than before

SkatingOnClouds
10-18-2007, 08:45 PM
You know what?? I would like to know about parabolics as well. I hear they help with Twizzles. I need all the help I can get with those. I can do double 3-turns but I can't seem to keep it going.
BlackManSkating

:lol: I have only one problem with twizzles - it's meant to be a backspin :lol:
for some reason I rock from front to back of my blade, can't find the spinning spot. My backspin tracings show a lovely, neat line of 3 turns. Maybe you're just trying too hard...

icedancer2
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Alot of skaters around here have them and they LOVE them - and they are all levels of skater.

I would love to be able to TRY them, but of course that's impossible without forking otu a bunch of money!

blackmanskating
10-19-2007, 01:47 PM
:lol: I have only one problem with twizzles - it's meant to be a backspin :lol:
for some reason I rock from front to back of my blade, can't find the spinning spot. My backspin tracings show a lovely, neat line of 3 turns. Maybe you're just trying too hard...

Twizzles don't resemble backspins per se, they resemble fast double-3 turns done in the "middle" of the blade. That's the best way I can explain it. Your backspin description actually sounds like twizzles.

Backspins used to be my nemesis too until my coach told me I needed them for multi-rotational jumps. Then I focused on them constantly. Stick with it and I'm sure we'll both get it. ;)

BlackManSkating

kayskate
10-19-2007, 06:42 PM
A friend who skated competitively in the 70s and coached until she had children, said dance blades are parabolic (though she did not use this term). She said they facilitate turns. I wonder if I understood her correctly. Are dance blades narrower in the center of the blade as a general rule?

Kay

icedancer2
10-19-2007, 06:59 PM
A friend who skated competitively in the 70s and coached until she had children, said dance blades are parabolic (though she did not use this term). She said they facilitate turns. I wonder if I understood her correctly. Are dance blades narrower in the center of the blade as a general rule?

Kay

I don't think so - they are just narrower than the "regular blade" (if the regular blade is 4mm the dance blade is 3mm. It can help with turns and changes of edge (I guess - I wear them but don't find the turns any easier or harder as a result.