View Full Version : Where do you go for Public Skate?

FSWer
10-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Say,I was wondering were everyone here gos for Public Skate Time? I go to Newington Ice Area. What about you kids?

singerskates
10-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't skate at Public skate sessions unless it is at Forest Glade during their Adult Public session where we can do anything we wish, including jumps and spins. Although I'm finding that their ice is too hard this year and it has to many ruts around the sides/ends. I will be switching to City Ice that is special Ticket Ice for figure skaters for my extra ice time in addition to my club ice this week.

jskater49
10-17-2007, 04:49 AM
I try to avoid public skate. Scares the bejeebers out of me

j

Ice Dancer
10-17-2007, 05:05 AM

I couldn't agree more! Scares the pants off me. Too many hockey skaters/idiots/kids/all of the above doing what they want!

samba
10-17-2007, 06:34 AM
We have a great Adult Only session on a Sunday, I just wish we had it when I was first learning, I probably wouldnt have spent the first 6 weeks stuck to the barrier like a limpet.

sk8er1964
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
We have adult only on M-T-W-F at lunch time that I go to when I can get away from work. Another local rink has adult open skate in the morning a couple of days a week, but I'm never able to get to those.

Skittl1321
10-17-2007, 07:56 AM
There is only one rink in my town, so I go there for public skate.

I used to do all my skating on public sessions, but now I only skate one public session a week- the "cheapskate" session, which is an abbreviated session- only an hour long, so it has a cheaper price with skates included. Thankfully the crowds have not figure this out yet, and it's still a reasonable session to skate on. It is RIGHT after LTS, so the first 20 minutes are usually empty ice.

The rest of my skating I do on freestyle, or group class sessions

Kim to the Max
10-17-2007, 08:11 AM
I work at a University and our skating rink is horribly under-utilized by the students, so if I do go to a public session, I will go there because more often than not, I'm the only one on the ice. But, their hours for the big rink (they also have a small studio rink) are usually horrible for my schedule, plus, I like doing freestyle/club sessions because they tend to motivate me to work just that little bit harder :)

Morgail
10-17-2007, 08:20 AM
I go to the public sessions at both the rinks in my city. I'm a public session junkie;) I grew up skating on them & taking lessons on them, so I actually feel way more comfortable practicing on public sessions than I do on club sessions. My home rink doesn't even have club/freestyle ice. When I get to skate again, my schedule will be something like: 2 club sessions (early a.m.) and 3 public sessions (one includes my lesson).

Clarice
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
We only have one rink in our town, too, so I do all my skating there. I used to avoid public sessions as much as possible, but will be shifting more of my practice to publics because they changed the "perks" for instructors. I can still skate public sessions free, but pay half price for freestyles. I used to get all my ice free, so did all my practice on freestyles. I'll just have to do different things on different days, depending what kind of session I'm on - obviously, no program run-throughs on public!

Mrs Redboots
10-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't do public sessions except very occasionally on an outdoor Christmas rink.

WeirFan06
10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
We have quite a few rinks in this general area, so it's fun to shop around for the good public sessions. I don't usually go to public sessions during the summer, but when the kids go back to school there are some awesome late morning/early afternoon sessions in the bay area at Belmont and Fremont. The Belmont morning public might have a small group (as in like 3 or 4 other adults) skating on it, and sometimes the Fremont session has even less! Last year for a while, it was me, one other college student, and then my old ice dance coach and his sister who practiced there for a while. Now they're gone, so the last time I went there, it was just me and the other girl! It's better than most freestyles most of the time. I think I am spoiled!!!

icedancer2
10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I like public sessions as long as they are quiet - in my area they are sometimes cheaper, too!!

Back in Boston there were so many rinks that during the school year I would pick a rink to go to and enjoy skating on the public sessions - sometimes I would be the only one on the ice with one hockey guy. Other times there would be a lot of people but there would be other ice-dancers and we would work together.

I never go to the big, crowded weekend afternoon or evening publics - although I did that once in Eugene and even though it was TOTALLY crowded, it was a BLAST and I actually got a lot of work done. You just have to watch where ou are going more!

WeirFan06
10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I never go to the big, crowded weekend afternoon or evening publics - although I did that once in Eugene and even though it was TOTALLY crowded, it was a BLAST and I actually got a lot of work done.

I own a house outside of Eugene, so sometimes I skate there when I'm visiting. There's a morning public session that starts around 9:30am, and when I was there last month I went 3 days in a row. On the first day it was me, another figure skater, and four people there recreationally. The last two days it was just me and the one other figure skater. And she said that when I'm not there most of the time it's just her there alone. That's pretty awesome. She said it does get lonely sometimes, though. Every now and then a crowded public session is fun... if for nothing else, at least for the social aspect!

kimberley801
10-18-2007, 06:31 PM

j

:lol: Freestyle sessions scare the bejeebers out of me!!!

lossieskater
10-31-2007, 05:03 PM
i learnt 2 skate on puplic sessions so im used 2 it i leart by watching the figure skaters nd copying them with a helping hand from my ice hockey player boyfriend nd i skate at elgin ice rink in north east of scotland

GordonSk8erBoi
11-01-2007, 04:31 PM

j

Me too. All the times I've seriously hurt myself have been due to collisions or other stuff at public sessions.

AndreaUK
11-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi

Well seeing as I had to take such a long time away from skating due to a damaged meniscus cartilidge in my knee and then a serious ankle injury (done at home) I have only just recently returned to skating in the last 5 weeks.

Before my accidents in March I had just graduated out of the LTS program but now due to lack of confidence, practice and a fall back on skills, Im back in the LTS. I dont feel ready to go back on patch ice so I am using the quieter public sessions that run from 10-12 noon. Usually they are all adults on there who have lessons and not many more than 6 skaters.

I always skate at Blackburn Ice Arena which is in the North West of England.

Andrea

Muskoka Skater
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I do Public Skating with my friends on Fridays from 7:30-9pm, I love it cause right before I skate from 5:30-7:30pm. So I do Public Skating at my home club which is Port Carling Figure Skating Club in Northern Ontario.

sue123
11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Me too. All the times I've seriously hurt myself have been due to collisions or other stuff at public sessions.

I'm actually ok on the crowded sessions, but the other day, I went with a couple friends, and at one time, it was me and my friend's boyfriend on the ice by ourselves, nobody else. You would think, 2 skaters, a whole rink, plenty of space. We somehow managed to collide with each other once, and have a bunch of other near misses. Seems the less skaters, the more likely you are to go near each other.

Oh well, I skate at the public sessions during the weekday when the kiddies are all at school, and their is one rink about 8 mins from my school which is where I go. I've walked in there a couple times, and the lights were off over the ice because nobody had shown up yet. Good times.