View Full Version : Adult Sectionals (March Madness)

NoVa Sk8r
10-15-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=46

They are all on the same weekend. Don't remember the last time that has happened, or if it has ever happened before.

(Also on the linked site are 2 international adult events, including Oberstdorf.)

Terri C
10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Holy cow- that will be one busy weekend for a lot of people!!
And yes, I think that is the first time that has happened, yes two Adult Sectionals have happened the same weekend, but not all three.

jazzpants
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Me suspects it's intentionally set that way. Why? Enquiring minds wanna know... ;)

GordonSk8erBoi
10-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Pacific Coasts are at my home rink! woohoo!

It's a nice rink, we generally have beeyootiful ice!

coskater64
10-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I think they are just mirroring what they do with the kids, their sectionals are also all on the same weekend. It also prevents people from entering two sectionals, not that that happens all that often and the planning for ANs will be easier since they will know who has qualified from each section all at the same time, instead of having to wait.

:D :D

sk8er1964
10-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Me suspects it's intentionally set that way. Why? Enquiring minds wanna know... ;)

Nope! We set the date for Mids based on what was good for us and for the rink, obviously within the USFS's time frame. We set the date early this past summer so that the City could make sure that they didn't schedule any Learn to Skate or hockey playoffs that weekend. I don't think there was any coordination with USFS at all on the date, unless Ann had some communication with them. I think it's just blind luck that they're all on the same date.

BTW, for those coming to Mids who have been to AN in A2 - Mids are not being held at the same venue as AN was - they only allow the club a certain number of events each year unless they have a biggie like AN or regionals. So we are holding it at the one-sheet City rink a few miles from the Cube. It's an older facility, but they have recently renovated it. It has a huge lobby and some of the best feeling ice around. :D Unfortunately, though, we won't be able to take the netting by the stands down :( , so here's early warning about that!

SkaterBird
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
When will the announcement for the competition be out? So you know if there will be some entry-level events (no-test freestyle) like they had last year?

vesperholly
10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
When will the announcement for the competition be out? So you know if there will be some entry-level events (no-test freestyle) like they had last year?
The Sectionals (and Nationals) announcements are usually out by December. If you want to compete in no-test, e-mail the LOC and tell them you want to. If they get some confirmed interest, there's a better chance they'll offer the event. I went to one Easterns that wasn't going to hold solo dance but then heard from skaters who wanted it, and held solo dance events after all.

sk8er1964
10-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Which section?

SkaterBird
10-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Midwest. I live in Minnesota (driving distance, more-or-less, from Ann Arbor) and last year I watched part of Adult Mids to cheer on & toss bears for some skaters I knew. My kids actually tossed most of the bears, and had an absolute ball doing so. But they had a no-test freestyle event, and (I think) a no-test spins event also (two foot spin and one-foot spin). As I have not passed any tests yet, that would be all I could do, but I might be able to do that much by March. And the weekend just happens to coincide with my spring break.

sk8er1964
10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
We should be meeting in the next several days and as soon as I can I will give you firm information. I can tell you that lower level events are being considered, but until we get the blessing of the ref nothing is final.

PS - it is a 12 hour drive from Minneapolis to Ann Arbor. Did it last year ;)

SkaterBird
10-27-2007, 12:07 AM
In my case it is 12 hours with husband and kids in tow - I need to have at least a few spectators who will not laugh (at least not openly) if my non-waltz-hop gets a bit too close to the ice :roll: . That's assuming one of my neighbors can feed & walk the dogs for a few days. Otherwise I may be on my own. But I will cross my fingers that you'll include a few no-test events. My mother was born and reared in Ann Arbor, so even she and my dad might come for this. The entry-level freestyle and spin (I think it was spin) event had a number of participants last March - I might have attempted the spin one had I known those events were available. My jumps are all in my mind, alas (or sitting on the ice), but I can usually do a passable upright spin.

Terri C
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Everybody ready??

Stormy
03-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Totally ready! I can't wait to see my friends this weekend. :bow:

TimDavidSkate
03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Everybody ready??

Nopes, I havent been on the ice for 8 days and have been totally sick :cry: the only days I'll be able to run my program is on thursday & friday 8O

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Nopes, I havent been on the ice for 8 days and have been totally sick :cry: the only days I'll be able to run my program is on thursday & friday 8OIsn't "The Swan" based on the dying swan anyway? :halo: :halo: ;)

TimDavidSkate
03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Isn't "The Swan" based on the dying swan anyway? :halo: :halo: ;)

good one :twisted:
who said I was sticking to the swan? :halo: ;) ;) ;)

whats your music stevo? carousel?

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Carousel? No, but close. ...

TimDavidSkate
03-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Carousel? No, but close. ...

why ruin the suprise.. :-)

Isk8NYC
03-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Good luck to all our SF competitors! Wishing you fast ice and clean edges!

stacyf419
03-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I had my first anxiety dream last night (competing at Adult Easterns this weekend). I was at the rink and I had my dress on but no tights. I was searching frantically through my Zuca bag and all I could find was knee-hi's! The last thing I remember before waking up is thinking, "My legs are so fat - I can't go out there without tights!"
Yuck, what a nightmare. I don't know if this is because it's my first competition, or maybe I'll just have these before EVERY competition. I need a massage!
Good luck to everyone.

TimDavidSkate
03-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I had my first anxiety dream last night (competing at Adult Easterns this weekend).

I have been having those dreams since December... At least 3 to 4 times a week 8O

stacyf419
03-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I have been having those dreams since December... At least 3 to 4 times a week 8O

I'm not good enough to be as worried as you yet!!! :lol:

flutzilla1
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Nopes, I havent been on the ice for 8 days and have been totally sick :cry: the only days I'll be able to run my program is on thursday & friday 8O

Oh no Tim! I'm sick as well and missed my on/off ice class with Joe on Saturday. I'm wondering how I am going to make it to my lesson tomorrow night when I feel so icky and dizzy.

Are you skating at Wayne on Thursday? If so I hopefully will see you then. Get better soon!

RoaringSkates
03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
The rink at Wayne, NJ is a nice one, but tends to feel a bit cold, so be prepared for that. There's a very nice snack bar, which offers actual food at reasonable (for New Jersey) prices. The salads are surprisingly good. The soups are homemade and good. They offer quite a selection of food, including some Japanese options, and the snack bar overlooks both rinks. They do take credit cards.

There are the main bathrooms as you walk in the door to the facility, and two hidden bathrooms up at the back of the snack bar, near the party rooms, which few people notice.

There is a small pro shop at the rink, which mainly focuses on hockey. However, they do sometimes stock a few pairs of skating tights, and they do have laces and etc., in case of emergency. But you should pretty much pack what you need in terms of equipment.

TimDavidSkate
03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh no Tim! I'm sick as well and missed my on/off ice class with Joe on Saturday. I'm wondering how I am going to make it to my lesson tomorrow night when I feel so icky and dizzy.

Are you skating at Wayne on Thursday? If so I hopefully will see you then. Get better soon!

Thanks babe - hope you feel better soon too ;)
I wont be at Wayne on Thursday morning - only Friday morning.
Plus I wont be at nyack tomorrow night :cry:

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Have a wonderful time, all of you! Those of you who are unwell, don't worry too much. If you can get yourselves to the rink, adrenaline will probably carry you through, although you may well flake out afterwards.

SkaterBird
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Well, I've never done this before - am going to skate in two very low level events at Adult Mids, and I do believe I am flaking out NOW. I have been wanting to do this, but it's as if I've just now realized that I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THIS, YIKES! :o Wish me well.

TimDavidSkate
03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, I've never done this before - am going to skate in two very low level events at Adult Mids, and I do believe I am flaking out NOW. I have been wanting to do this, but it's as if I've just now realized that I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THIS, YIKES! :o Wish me well.

Good Luck - what event will you be in? I'll see if it is close to mine, so I can cheer :P

I know exactly how you feel. I say those exact words as soon as I take the ice for my 5-6 min warmup.
"I cant back out now, I already paid, Im already dressed, too late to get out of it 8O "

2salch0w
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
I didn't sign up for any events this year. In a way I have some regrets because part of me likes to compete. But for the most part, the lack of stress in my March and April is a welcome change.

I just played a little game - pretend I *am* competing, then think "what if I could go back in time and not send in the application." Then let the relief wash over myself ...

I have so much respect for all of you that do it year after year. Good luck!

Tim

Good Luck - what event will you be in? I'll see if it is close to mine, so I can cheer :P

I know exactly how you feel. I say those exact words as soon as I take the ice for my 5-6 min warmup.
"I cant back out now, I already paid, Im already dressed, too late to get out of it 8O "

badaxel
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Good Luck!! I know how you feel, too! Every competition, I threaten to withdraw right up until the last minute! In my opinion, the anticipation of getting out there is wAAAAAAy worse than actually doing it!

GordonSk8erBoi
03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
My nerves are starting to kick in alright. Last lesson today before the competition (my first ever) and some things just stink, still. I guess that's the way it goes. My coach did pay me a compliment, she said she didn't make my program "easy" for me. I appreciate that... or I will more after it's over.

Anyay, at 1:40 it will go by fast.

NoVa Sk8r
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I skated in Wayne this morning, and it was not too cold (well, compared to the subzero rinks I usually skate in).

It was a bit nerve-racking to do the programs with Viktor Petrenko and Galina Z. watching and then as Johnny Weir was warming up off ice. I tried not to knock Viktor down as I was barreling around the edge of the rink (and probably not in a predictable or steady fashion :oops:). And there were 4 other Easterns competitors there, reminding me that this comp is fast approaching!

The rink also seemed smaller than I remembered it--I came close to the ends a few times during the program runthroughs. (Perhaps it's because this rink *is* warmer than my other rinks, and I can actually move my legs!)

Terri C
03-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Whew!
Just had a extra lesson with Secondary Coach to prepare for this weekend, in which she salchow'ed me to death and I declined the offer of doing back to back runthoughs of my freeskate (this was after doing the Bronze CM program twice). Maybe I'll take her up on the offer tomorrow on my regular lesson day.
All I want for now is to just get into Wayne on Friday without any problems.

TimDavidSkate
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I skated in Wayne this morning, and it was not too cold (well, compared to the sub-zero rinks I usually skate in).

It was a bit nerve-wracking to do the programs with Viktor Petrenko and Galinna Z. watcing and then as Johnny Weir was warming up off ice. I tried not to knock Viktor down as I was barreling around the edge of the rink. :lol: And there were 4 other Easterns competitors there, reminding me that this comp is fast approaching!

The rink also seemed smaller than I remembered it--I came close to the ends a few times during the program runthroughs. (Perhaps it's because the rink *is* warmer than my other rinks, and I can actually move my legs!)

Coool, I'm sure wont do the swan runthrough in front of his Weirness 8O that would be very intimidating 8O

Terri C
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Coool, I'm sure wont do the swan runthrough in front of his Weirness 8O that would be very intimidating 8O

Yeah, Camille might snap at you!!! :lol:

stacyf419
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I am a bit worried because I've had a back injury for the past 2 weeks for which I've been in physical therapy. It was getting better, but then last night and this morning I was essentially paralyzed with spasms. Went back to the dr. and now I have to have an MRI tomorrow. I've missed so much practice already and I just don't know what's going to happen. Hopefully the MRI will be clear and the spasms will be gone by Wednesday, and I can get a few days in.
Why now!!!???!!!:frus:

mikawendy
03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I had my first anxiety dream last night (competing at Adult Easterns this weekend). I was at the rink and I had my dress on but no tights. I was searching frantically through my Zuca bag and all I could find was knee-hi's! The last thing I remember before waking up is thinking, "My legs are so fat - I can't go out there without tights!"

LOL, stacyf419, that reminds me of a dream I had last year before a competition: I was at the competition and realized I had forgotten my makeup, and, worse, I somehow had a horrid shade of orange lipstick on. I ran around in a panic, trying to find a schedule (so I could figure out if I had time to go buy new makeup), but no one had a schedule. One would think the nightmare would be about skating badly, but no!

Have a great time and enjoy your first competition!

I wish I could be there to cheer everyone on, but I'm not going (I'm doing the CRC competition at Mt. Vernon Ice Arena in Virginia, instead--last-minute decision).

TimDavidSkate
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh those crazy dreams:

~ You forgot your skates at home so you have to use rentals
~ The ice turned into concrete or a swimming pool
~ You had to wear your windbreaker pants because you left your costume
~ You missed your warmup & competition and had to beg the judges to watch you

One nightmare that came true:
~ I forgot my music 8O I had to shuffle through other skater's program that were already done and listen to the opening for 20 seconds and listen the 15 second ending, walk over to the music box and hand them the music 3 min before warmup 8O

looplover
03-04-2008, 04:27 AM
It was a bit nerve-racking to do the programs with Viktor Petrenko and Galina Z. watching and then as Johnny Weir was warming up off ice.

OMG.

I would have just died. I love them, esp. Johnny. I don't know if I could have skated!!

stacyf419
03-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Oh those crazy dreams:

One nightmare that came true:
~ I forgot my music 8O I had to shuffle through other skater's program that were already done and listen to the opening for 20 seconds and listen the 15 second ending, walk over to the music box and hand them the music 3 min before warmup 8O

This is where I'm grateful for my anal-retentive project management background - 2 weeks ago I created a 'project plan' for the competition complete with a checklist of everything I need to bring and in what bag. I don't leave the house until we do a physical 'check off' of everything on that list. Definitely has helped me in the past on synchro trips!

NoVa Sk8r
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
OMG.

I would have just died. I love them, esp. Johnny. I don't know if I could have skated!!Whn I was doing my singles program, one of Galina's students was in my path (and I certainly was not about to move since my program was going so well up to that point :P ). Well, Galina, saw me coming and yelled something very loudly in Russian--the young girl flew out of my way, and I was so startled that I almost stopped the program. I think Galina scared the bejeesus out of both of us!

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
For those of you in the "why ever did I think this was a good idea?" stage - one we all go through, every time - don't forget that the darkest hour is invariably just before dawn, and a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance, and.....

coskater64
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
That is so true Mrs. Reboots, I cannot tell you have many times I have won the warmup and just skated like absolute CR*P! It is cosmic justice at its worse.8O

sk8er1964
03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
This is where I'm grateful for my anal-retentive project management background - 2 weeks ago I created a 'project plan' for the competition complete with a checklist of everything I need to bring and in what bag. I don't leave the house until we do a physical 'check off' of everything on that list. Definitely has helped me in the past on synchro trips!

At last year's Mids, I turned in my music from two years prior! Then, I didn't give my coach my extra cd (which is something I always do) so I had to run off the ice and into the locker room to get my cd, then back onto the ice to give it to the music people. Oooops! :oops: :frus:

stacyf419
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
It's amazing how your mind can absolutely desert you at stressful times. For me, if it's not on paper, it just doesn't get done. I don't know if it's being 40 or if it's just because I'm dippy, but my mind becomes a sieve!
(note to self: doublecheck cd's to make sure current music and not 'Def Leppard - Pyromania' copy)

RoaringSkates
03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
You get kind of used to skating on the same ice as the elites. But at first, it's intimidating as hell.

doubletoe
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM

Yep, me, too! I have a packing list and a to do list that I check off before leaving for the airport. I also have an itinerary for every day, including maps and phone numbers to all of the places I need to go. It's not because I'm organized; it's because I know I am a total airhead and can never remember anything, LOL! God forbid the Master Plan should ever go missing. . .

Terri C
03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
As for my week leading up to Easterns.....
This morning I woke up at 2am for no apparent reason. Every time I tossed and turned and tried to go back to sleep, I kept hearing my program music in my head... finally got back to sleep around 3:30.

This afternoon, had a good runthrough of both my Bronze CM and Pre Bronze freeskate programs on lesson with Secondary Coach, who commented that this is the most prepared she has seen me for a event in the three years (this week!) that she has coached me.

icedancer2
03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I just realized when I looked at a calendar, that Daylight Saving's Time begins this weekend - Saturday night. This may not normally affect me much, but since I'm competing early Sunday morning, this is something that I have to think about so I can plan my morning accordingly.

:roll: 8O

NoVa Sk8r
03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Last week, I dreamt that I had to do my new pairs program with my old pairs partner and then skate my old pairs program with my new pairs partner. :??
And sure enough, yesterday, I used an old dance lift technique with the new partner and pulled a muscle in my back. Easterns curse redux!

Careygram, get me some nice nips! :P

herniated
03-05-2008, 06:44 AM
I am a bit worried because I've had a back injury for the past 2 weeks for which I've been in physical therapy. It was getting better, but then last night and this morning I was essentially paralyzed with spasms. Went back to the dr. and now I have to have an MRI tomorrow. I've missed so much practice already and I just don't know what's going to happen. Hopefully the MRI will be clear and the spasms will be gone by Wednesday, and I can get a few days in.
Why now!!!???!!!:frus:

Let us know what happens with the MRI. I feel your pain - really! I've been in your shoes many times. This past summer I was supposed to compete and wound up withdrawing. I couldn't even stand up straight letalone skate. I'm not saying that will happen to you, but if that is the worst thing that happens there will be other Easterns. And, it always seems to happen (back probs, injuries) at the WORST times. My back is acting up too - always does before an event. For me it's probably stress.

Kristin
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
As if having Mids on the same weekend as all the other Sectionals (Pacs/Easterns) aren't busy enough, in the Detroit area we also have a fairly large local competition happening on the same weekend as well! My coach is very frazzled because she has 3 adult students at Mids, as well as a bunch of kid-students competing at the other local competition(!).

Mel On Ice
03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
it's Wednesday, 2 days before I'm leaving, and I have already started packing.

nightmares? check

weak in the knees? check

over-training? possibly...

herniated
03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
I feel kind of nauseous. Bleah!!:( About the skating that is. :lol:

Terri C
03-05-2008, 07:34 PM

nightmares? check

weak in the knees? check

You're not alone in the packing thing... I started tonight as well. Have not been having nightmares or knee weakness or over training, but have again woken up in the middle of the night and having a hard time going back to sleep. Maybe that's my version of nerves kicking in.

Stormy
03-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Haven't started packing yet, I'll have time Friday morning before I leave. No nightmares either. I'm actually really relaxed about this one! I'm doing compulsory moves for fun, and I have really realistic expectations about skating up to Gold for the first time. I'll freak out come Nationals, though!! :D

SkaterBird
03-05-2008, 10:09 PM

Are you going to Mids? I thought you were skating in Easterns. No matter - I will either watch you skate and cheer or mentally cheer you wherever you are skating!

I am skating in events 5 (Pre-Bronze Spins - I am actually skatiing up for that one - and 39, Beginner Interpretive - Artistic. Assuming I am not hiding in the Ladies Room, that is :roll: - I am bringing my daughter to "police" me and brace me up so I don't do just that!

flying~camel
03-06-2008, 07:11 AM

nightmares? check

weak in the knees? check

It's Thursday, 1 day before leaving and I have also started packing!

bad practices? check
lack of practice due to ice getting canceled for hockey? check
super stressful week at work that will probably cause me to bomb out? check

ugh :frus:

TimDavidSkate
03-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Are you going to Mids? I thought you were skating in Easterns. No matter - I will either watch you skate and cheer or mentally cheer you wherever you are skating!

I am skating in events 5 (Pre-Bronze Spins - I am actually skatiing up for that one - and 39, Beginner Interpretive - Artistic. Assuming I am not hiding in the Ladies Room, that is :roll: - I am bringing my daughter to "police" me and brace me up so I don't do just that!

Yeh Im doing Easterns, I'll cheer for you mentally too :lol:
5 events? :bow: oh my, I would never in a million years do more than 1 8O

techskater
03-06-2008, 07:59 AM
It's Thursday, 1 day before leaving and I have also started packing!

bad practices? check
lack of practice due to ice getting canceled for hockey? check
super stressful week at work that will probably cause me to bomb out? check

ugh :frus:

I've started packing too, FC -

Cough? Check!
Congestion? Check
Flu symptoms on Weds? Check
Fever? Check!

On a good note:
Dress? Complete!
Sharpened skates? Check!

sk8er1964
03-06-2008, 08:43 AM
I've started packing too, FC -

Cough? Check!
Congestion? Check
Flu symptoms on Weds? Check
Fever? Check!

On a good note:
Dress? Complete!
Sharpened skates? Check!

Being sick :( :(

For all of you coming into Ann Arbor, please add snow boots to your list of stuff to bring. We're under a winter storm watch from tomorrow afternoon through Saturday evening. Fortunately, the hotel is only a mile or so from the rink :) Also, dress warmly - the rink is a bit on the cold side right now.

coskater64
03-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Good to know about the weather, it didn't look pleasant but the advice is helpful. I plan on being the sneezy, coughing, giant bundled up person who will try to skate in their coat.

Just got a cold/flu...luckily not doing anything to taxing, hopefully only 2 patterns of the Rocker foxtrot.

Ahchoo!:D

stacyf419
03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi folks-
I'm sorry to say I had to withdraw from Easterns this weekend due to my back. MRI report is still pending but my doctor says I must stay off the ice. Add to that the fact that I can't lift my feet or turn my head, and skating would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm really depressed and hoping this gets fixed right away. What a bummer. :cry:

SkaterBird
03-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Being sick :( :(

For all of you coming into Ann Arbor, please add snow boots to your list of stuff to bring. We're under a winter storm watch from tomorrow afternoon through Saturday evening. Fortunately, the hotel is only a mile or so from the rink :) Also, dress warmly - the rink is a bit on the cold side right now.

To everyone who is sick (or feels a sneeze coming on), I'm sending warm toasty antiviral thoughts your way so you will be well by Saturday.

Mimi

herniated
03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi folks-
I'm sorry to say I had to withdraw from Easterns this weekend due to my back. MRI report is still pending but my doctor says I must stay off the ice. Add to that the fact that I can't lift my feet or turn my head, and skating would be a recipe for disaster.

I'm really depressed and hoping this gets fixed right away. What a bummer. :cry:

So sorry. :cry: I know what it feels like. Speedy recovery and try to take it easy. Have you tried A.R.T. Active release technique? I talk about it all the time and no, I don't get compensation for doing so:lol: . It just really works for me. Anyway, so sorry again just get better.

stacyf419
03-06-2008, 11:44 AM
So sorry. :cry: I know what it feels like. Speedy recovery and try to take it easy. Have you tried A.R.T. Active release technique? I talk about it all the time and no, I don't get compensation for doing so:lol: . It just really works for me. Anyway, so sorry again just get better.

I will look into that!

In the meantime, I'm sending all my unused good karma to y'all and hope you have good, safe skates. Enjoy and I will see you next time around!

techskater
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
To everyone who is sick (or feels a sneeze coming on), I'm sending warm toasty antiviral thoughts your way so you will be well by Saturday.

Mimi
THANKS! I found out Mucinex and I are NOT friends which is what prompted the "flu symptoms" yesterday. :roll: :frus:

Safe travels to everyone who's leaving today/tomorrow.

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2008, 01:22 PM
You get kind of used to skating on the same ice as the elites. But at first, it's intimidating as hell.

It's all right until they decide that doing one of your exercises would be a good training exercise for them! This is very disheartening, as they do it so much better than you do! But at least it gives you something to aim at - and you can get ideas for training and warm-up exercises from them, too.

Just got a cold/flu...luckily not doing anything to taxing, hopefully only 2 patterns of the Rocker foxtrot.Sooner you than me - I keep bottling that dance. It's not the rocker - I can do that! It's the expletive deleted Mohawk that scares me witless.

Hope all of you with colds will feel better soon and not spread your germs around.... nothing worse than recovering from one cold and promptly going down with another!

RoaringSkates
03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Good luck, guys. If I can get over to Wayne this weekend, I will, because I'd love to see some of you competing.

The weather in NJ this weekend will be interesting. It's going to be warmish, for NJ, but by tomorrow night it's going to be really rainy. Sunday will be very windy, so if you're flying out of Newark, be aware of delays.

GordonSk8erBoi
03-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Weather in PDX looks pretty nice for March, should be highs in the mid 50s and low around 40, cloudy with maybe some drizzle.

Inside the rink: 44 degrees this week.

Terri C
03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi folks-

Damn that sucks!! I know you were really excited about this. Hopefully we'll be able to compete sometime again down the road.:cry:

Today, Primary Coach wasn't feeling well and had to cancel my lesson. Adding to it was that the cord that is used to connect the boombox to the rink speaker system went MIA .... AGAIN :x . As a result I had a very hard if not impossible time hearing my music and missed my sitspin as a result :frus: . Salchow is still solid and intact though!

flying~camel
03-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Weather in PDX looks pretty nice for March, should be highs in the mid 50s and low around 40, cloudy with maybe some drizzle.

Inside the rink: 44 degrees this week.

Ann Arbor is expected to get 8 inches of snow by Saturday night! 8O

Thankfully, we're staying in the host hotel which is ~ 1 mile from the rink!

sk8er1964
03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I live 25 minutes away from the rink - I might be begging a place to stay :lol:

Hubby said they've revised the forecast tonight and most of it is supposed to go south of Michigan. I hope so - after everyone who's driving in gets here, of course.

TimDavidSkate
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm already outside the rink..but its still closed... at least 10 ft away is victor and johnny weir...johnny's already warming up and jogging

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm already outside the rink..but its still closed... at least 10 ft away is victor and johnny weir...johnny's already warming up and joggingWeir wasn't there yesterday, but Viktor and Galina were. I thought he went to Russia, before going to Sweden for Worlds. According to an icenetwork article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080306&content_id=45253&vkey=ice_news), dated 3/6/08:
"The skater traveled today from his home base in New Jersey to Moscow, where he and coaches Zmievskaya and 1992 Olympic champion Viktor Petrenko will train before heading for Gothenburg on March 18th."
:?:

Stormy
03-07-2008, 09:39 AM
:lol: Nice one! Looking forward to seeing you, NoVa!!! :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Look for me in the goofy singles/pairs outfits! :)

TimDavidSkate
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
weird article - I just skated with him...victor approached me at the begining of the session and told me to watch at all times...he was on the ice from 9:16 to 10:02...he did a footwork and spins runthrough of his SP... awesome jumps as usual - a couple to 2footed 4T...

on my end I dared to put on the swan - since I haven't done any runthroughs at all.. I skated 30% better..but still not fully ready

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 10:31 AM
You must have lucked out. I've been going to Wayne all week, and they wouldn't let anyone on the ice till the Weir got off (even though the advertised open freestyle starts at 9:30am :?? ). He usually leaves at 10:15am and comes back to skate on private ice at 2pm.

The rink was "warm" (relatively) on Monday, but then on Wed. and Thurs., it was frigid (even though their were near-record temps outsde this week).

herniated
03-07-2008, 10:45 AM
So... the rink won't let anyone else on the 'open' free if Weir is on? Did I understand correctly? That's bogus. I would be complaining. Believe me I wouldn't 'want' to skate with a skater of that caliber but I'd be super annoyed if I drove to there to skate and couldn't get on an open session. He should pay for private sessions. (I know you guys said he goes back for a private afternoon one) That's not fair to everyone else!!! Unless of course there is fair notice to all. Oooooh, I'd be sooo... you know what.

We almost had a similar situation at my rink so this is a fresh wound for me. Anyway, got to finish packing. Leaving in about two and a half hours!! Eeeekkk!! See you all there.

Stormy
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe he does pay for the ice? I dunno. My old rink was like that, the super elites had their own rink that no one else could get on. Granted, at the time there was 4 surfaces.

Although, considering Johnny's in Russia right now training for Worlds, this is prolley a moot point. ;)

flutzilla1
03-07-2008, 02:43 PM
So... the rink won't let anyone else on the 'open' free if Weir is on? Did I understand correctly? That's bogus. I would be complaining. Believe me I wouldn't 'want' to skate with a skater of that caliber but I'd be super annoyed if I drove to there to skate and couldn't get on an open session. He should pay for private sessions. (I know you guys said he goes back for a private afternoon one) That's not fair to everyone else!!! Unless of course there is fair notice to all. Oooooh, I'd be sooo... you know what.

We almost had a similar situation at my rink so this is a fresh wound for me. Anyway, got to finish packing. Leaving in about two and a half hours!! Eeeekkk!! See you all there.

Last Thursday I checked the schedule for Ice Vault before driving out and it clearly said the 9:30am session was available. In addition, I had spoken to the head of the skating program when I first started going to the rink about whether or not they ever had restricted high freestyle, and she told me no -- if it was on the schedule, it was open, and if I wasn't sure to check the schedule on their site or call them. I drove out all the way from Westchester and paid the money to get on the ice and signed in their FS book; no one in the office told me I could not skate, nor that it was a high, elite or closed session. I got on, started warming up and was told almost immediately by Galina that the session was for "high freestyle only" until 10:30 and I should go skate on rink 2 instead. Which was populated exclusively by very beginner, learn to skate adults. Needless to say this did WONDERS for my morale for the competition, and the person on duty in the office was not pleased when I told her what had happened re: me being kicked off the open FS. So I am doubting it is the rink that is behind this policy. Regardless of whose policy it is, I think the whole thing could have been handled a lot more professionally and courteously than it was.

Needless to say I was not terribly impressed with the way this was handled -- this rink either needs to change its FS times to accurately reflect what's going on, or enforce the schedule. PERIOD. People who are coming to a rink to compete in said rink's Sectionals competition should not be getting kicked off an open FS session.

Grrrrr............................................ ...

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 02:48 PM
I skated there on Monday. And when I called on Tues. to confirm if Mr. Weir was skating (I don't mind per se when he is skating, I just don't want to get to the rink and twiddle my thumbs), the lady who answered the phone told me that she could not say when Weir skates and that management does not tell her. (I guess they don't want people to know who just might go got the rink to watch him skate?) She was apologetic and nice about it at least.

Careygram
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh, okay. I was thinking I'd throw more of those lovely little stuffed viruses for you guys but I suppose given your situation nips would do VERY well. Is my room done yet? :halo: Still having memories of KC and bad karaoke...
can't wait to see you tomorrow! Get a good night sleep and give hugs to kitty.
Careygram (aka, easily influenced though occasional partner in crime)

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
LOL, yeah, my lil' friends (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/) are excited about sectionals. :)
Forget the nips--I need sedatives!

Oh, okay. I was thinking I'd throw more of those lovely little stuffed viruses for you guys but I suppose given your situation nips would do VERY well. Is my room done yet? :halo: Still having memories of KC and bad karaoke...
can't wait to see you tomorrow! Get a good night sleep and give hugs to kitty.
Careygram (aka, easily influenced though occasional partner in crime)

mikawendy
03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
LOL, yeah, my lil' friends (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/) are excited about sectionals. :)

LOL, those are hilarious! The ebola one somehow makes me think of E.T. because of the long neck.

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I like the flesh-eating one because it has a fork and knife where its mouth is. :lol: I used to keep the E. coli one at work (it kinda looks like a jellyfish).

(The shapes are inspired by how they look under an electron microscope.)

NoVa Sk8r
03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I skated 2 practice sessions this evening, and saw vesperholly and Terri C and starskate6.0 and others.
The ice felt good and *fast*. I finished the pairs program 5 seconds early (and I usually end it late).

Hopefully, the monsoon rains will not cause too much trouble tomorrow. :(

vesperholly
03-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I liked the ice on Rink 1. Nice and grabby. I hope Rink 2 is similar. I usually like rain, but not this! I've never seen it rain so hard. At least it's not snow.

Good luck everyone in Championship, I'm about to leave to cheer you all on!

2salch0w
03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I just got back from Easterns, where there was some great skating. Congrats to Frank Romero on winning Champ. Gold - now I wish I stayed to see it. I'll look out for it on icenetwork. And congrats to all the other singles skaters.

All five pair teams did a great job. It was a really exciting event and each team had something great to offer. Kim and David won with a really slick spy-themed program. As always, they presented the hell out of it and added some very innovative moves. And lefty Kim is doing righty loops to match her partner. Wow!

Good luck to all the pair competitors in Lake Placid.

Tim

Terri C
03-08-2008, 08:46 PM
CONGRATULATIONS FRANKKAYYY!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: ]

jazzpants
03-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Eastern

FRANK-KAAAAAY!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a045.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a040.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a050.gif

OMG, YOU have no idea how happy I am for 'ya, buddy!!! I *KNOW* you've been working VERY hard ALL YEAR!!! I'm so proud of 'ya...and I'll bet the Moves Guru is too! You did REAL good, kiddo!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

And speaking of Moves Guru, please send my congrats to him on his Bronze at Masters Men too!

Congrats to icecatepairs and NoVa for the Bronze in the Champ. Pairs!

And you think I'm gonna forget 'ya, STARSKATE6.0!?!?! Congrats on your Bronze in Champ. Adult Gold Men! You still feel like a doofus now for signing up in qualifying instead of non-qualifying now!?!?! You better NOT be!!! ;)

Pacific Coast (my Sectionals)

I'm not seeing results on Champs Adult Gold Men or Adult Gold Ladies. I know there's no Masters Men event. I know the Championship Adult Gold events happened later on in the day but that was a few hours ago. Does anyone have the results? I'm dying to know where my rink buddies stand.

Midwestern:
Same with Masters Men!!!

Congrats to Cinderella On Ice. I doubt she's reading this (so I'll post where I know she's likely to be reading and post...) but this one is one of my BIG inspirations to go after that axel!!! I'm NOT too old!!! And someday I will land one for you and all my other "older (than me anyway) inspirations."

For ALL the other Sectionals: I'm also dying to read about the non-qualifying events too, so you guys PLEASE keep the results coming in!!! (TIA!!!) :D

lovepairs
03-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Congrats, Franklin!

Also, the two new pair teams on the scene: Jason and Joy, and Steven and Tara are quite impressive! A huge congrats to both teams on their debuts! Very exciting to watch!

mikawendy
03-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Congrats to everyone who has skated so far.

I read on another board that icenetwork has some results up already:

Easterns (http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=34664)
Mids (http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=34666)
Pacs (http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=34665)

FrankR
03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the congratulations. :)

I'm glad things turned out well because the six-minute warmup was quite the adventure for me. 8O I'm extremely grateful to those in the stands for watching and for their encouragement. I also owe so much to my coaches, especially the moves guru. Without his help, I could never have re-focused and had the skate that I had.

It was great to catch up, albeit far too briefly, with my skatingforums friends.

Best to all,

Frank

2loop2loop
03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Cool, way to go Frank!

Yeah, and you too NoVa :twisted:

John

Debbie S
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Congratulations, Frank! And also to starskate, NoVa, icecatepairs, lovepairs, pairman, and everyone else who qualified!

sexyskates
03-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Frank R really did have an awesome performance!
Congrats also to Starskate and all the other qualifiers. There was alot of terrific skating at Easterns!

lovepairs
03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the congratulations. :)

I'm glad things turned out well because the six-minute warmup was quite the adventure for me. 8O I'm extremely grateful to those in the stands for watching and for their encouragement. I also owe so much to my coaches, especially the moves guru. Without his help, I could never have re-focused and had the skate that I had.

It was great to catch up, albeit far too briefly, with my skatingforums friends.

Best to all,

Frank

Hey Pal,

You should have seen the "antic" we pulled on our 6-minute warm up!" We had an adventure, too! ;) 8O :P LOL!

LWalsh
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Can anybody access the still photographer's photos? They gave me a username and password but it doesn't seem to work.:roll:
LW

flying~camel
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Congrats to Cinderella On Ice. I doubt she's reading this (so I'll post where I know she's likely to be reading and post...) but this one is one of my BIG inspirations to go after that axel!!! I'm NOT too old!!! And someday I will land one for you and all my other "older (than me anyway) inspirations."

Not only does she have a great axel (and wonderful overall skating), but she also has a very nice double salchow! :bow:

sexyskates
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Actually, I was impressed by your recovery after that scarey fall on the warm up. Everyone inside the lunch area gasped! And then you two skated a beautiful program!

vesperholly
03-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Can anybody access the still photographer's photos? They gave me a username and password but it doesn't seem to work.:roll:
LW
I couldn't get it to work, either. The photographer I talked to said they'd be up tonight 8O, but the website said the password was invalid. :\

I sent the photographer a message, hopefully I'll hear back soon. I was very surprised they said the photos would be done tonight, I've never seen such a quick (projected) turnaround.

NoVa Sk8r
03-09-2008, 07:52 PM
All the photos from the championship events (all held on Saturday on Rink1--so code "skate308R1") are up.

Perhaps the non-qual. events photos will be up by tomorrow AM.

vesperholly
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
All the photos from the championship events (all held on Saturday on Rink1--so code "skate308R1") are up.

Perhaps the non-qual. events photos will be up by tomorrow AM.
There are some up already - all Bronze and Silver freestyle events appear when I logged in. I didn't see the Championship photos.

NoVa Sk8r
03-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I can access both the qualifying (USERNAME = SKATE308R1) and non-qualifying (USERNAME = SKATE309R2 -or- SKATE309R1) events.

TimDavidSkate
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n24/TimDsk8/l_d62098125a7e471203afce986298affb.jpg

photo by: Meghan Rasdall

NoVa Sk8r
03-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Ah, yes. There was a 3-way tie for 1st in the silver men I/II event! 8O :o 8-)

jazzpants
03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Ah, yes. There was a 3-way tie for 1st in the silver men I/II event! 8O :o 8-)
HOLLY MOLEY!!! That's the first I've ever heard of a comp. (I've heard of a tie but never a THREE WAY TIE!!! And yes, I did noticed all you guys had Gold medals around the neck... which totally threw me off as to who got what medal...)

vesperholly
03-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I can access both the qualifying (USERNAME = SKATE308R1) and non-qualifying (USERNAME = SKATE309R2 -or- SKATE309R1) events.

Oh duh me. I didn't realize R1 meant Rink 1.

That photo is great. Too bad it doesn't quite capture the PURPLE of the purple catsuit. :D

NoVa Sk8r
03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I call it the Grape Ape outfit. And hey, there is not a flap to be found! :P

TimDavidSkate
03-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Stephen improved his artistry to his brand new program including his trademark back-bielman spiral and back-shoot-the-duck :bow:

Jeremy skated clean, from what I saw when he ended his program, "YES!!!" I guess he landed his two axel attempts :bow:

I on the other hand fecked up my spins :frus: aweful flying camel and a :roll: camel spin

jazzpants
03-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I call it the Grape Ape outfit. And hey, there is not a flap to be found! :P
You think your outfit might match my purple boots??? :P :lol: (I guess we'll see when I get to AN, huh?)

And there BETTER be no flaps around at AN too! I will bring a pair of scissors with me to the rink!!! (Snip snip!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Back Biellmann spiral? 8O I think I would be in traction if I tried that. :o It's just a back Y-spiral (http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj53/splittwist/Easterns-06.jpg) (it's also in the pairs program--but it is easier there since I am holding onto my partner!).

I botched my last lutz combo (for some reason, my body told me to do a flip. :?? I guess 4 hours of sleep will do that to ya. :) ), falling out of the lutz ... right in front of the judges. Oops.

(And, TD, my program is not "Humoresque"; it's from "Cavalleria Rusticana.")

lovepairs
03-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Actually, I was impressed by your recovery after that scarey fall on the warm up. Everyone inside the lunch area gasped! And then you two skated a beautiful program!

Thank you, Sexy...much appreciated!

By the way, if it hasn't already been posted, could someone please post the link to the stills...I didn't catch the name of the company who was shooting. Thanks ;)

Terri C
03-10-2008, 08:04 AM
I was thrilled to win the Silver in my freeskating event yesterday. However, my flight home was delayed not once,or twice, but THREE TIMES!!. Then we board the plane, only to sit at the gate for a hour and a half because the bags were not loaded properly in the cargo hold. Then it was another 30 minutes sitting on the tarmac.
Got home to Norfolk and yes, my skates made it home, but my clothes, toiletry bag, makeup, and skating warmups did not. So after filing my loss with baggage, it was midnight before I finally made it home. :x :roll: :cry:

Mainemom
03-10-2008, 08:58 AM
And my little brother took second in Championship Gold! I'm so proud of him because since he got married he hasn't skated anywhere near as much as he used to. Since Nationals are in Lake Placid this year (they live in New York), he decided to see if he could qualify.. and he did! Such a proud sister! Waaay too scary for me! I give such kudos to anyone who can get out there all by themselves. My legs shake just thinking about it!

flutzilla1
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
I watched the entire Silver 1/2 Mens event and all of you were terrific and the golds deservedly earned. Nova's back shoot the duck/hydroblading was amazing and Tim you are far too modest -- your presentation and expressiveness was wonderful (unlike me, who looks morosely down at the ice so much you would think I was looking for spare change).

Terri C did a GREAT job in the competition and I was very happy to be able to be the one to take her podium photo for the Pre-Bronze 3 FS.

I had a blast watching the Masters Men and Pairs events -- Jason is my hero by the way. After skating a challenging Masters Men program, he literally jumped back on the ice and skated an even BETTER pairs program. Nova did a great job in the Pairs event too -- he and his partner had the nicest-positioned lifts in the competition IMO.

I was pleasantly surprised with how well I was able to skate in the FS event -- although I NEED TO STOP LOOKING DOWN, THERE IS NOTHING ON THE ICE TO LOOK AT!!! I was clean on the jumps although my layback travelled to Alaska and back. I have a lot of work to do before Nationals to make everything stronger but overall I am feeling pretty OK about how things are progressing. So far so good!

The event was really nicely run; the only thing that was odd was the timing of the medal ceremonies. There was one every hour on Sunday starting at 9:30am, and there were events in which only one person was able to show up due to spins/compulsories/etc going on. For my Bronze 3 event two of the four people on our podium were missing. It was a bummer because I really enjoy having the podium photos to put in my scrapbook.

MusicSkateFan
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
:frus: I was overall pleased with my Silver men III event. I had an awkward ending.....on my A$$ ....oh well! I botched my spiral and my lunge into the back upright spin. I was happy that my three jump combo almost hit the wall! I did brush the board with my hand....it needed dusting!!!!!

An improvement from NYI so overall I am happy.

Black Sheep
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
....I got 11th out of 12 for Champ Gold Ladies, even though most others in my group had plenty of falls and mistakes. I didn't fall once, and all of my elements have improved greatly over the years. Did the judges even care about that? No! I can't understand what it is that they just don't like about my skating. Seems to me they'd rather just downgrade me on what's bad than give me credit for what's good! :frus:

flying~camel
03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
My performance at Mids pretty much sucked and I got 5th out of 5 in Bronze YA/I/II (although I did get 1 3rd place ordinal) :frus:

I think the only things in my program that were done well were the spiral sequence, solo loop & layback spin. When I 2-foot a lutz & flip, fall out of a camel & step out of a salchow, you know something is wrong!

I'm just going to have to make up for it at ANs!

MusicSkateFan
03-10-2008, 10:26 AM
What's the web address for the eastern's photos? By the time I finished they were pretty much packed up!

Mel On Ice
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
lessee...

I was in a pretty tough group for Bronze III/IV/V. I started with a great sit/layback and crap lutz, then the rest of the program took off like a turbo jet. That autopilot thing? Totally works. Immediately after I skated, I didn't remember anything from the falling leaf/toe/loop to the last spin except for a shaky landing on the flip and thinking "screw it, tack on the toe!" I did. AND I GOT THIRD!

Sunday, I was in Light Enertainment/Comedy with yet another strong group. I did Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" and was delighted that the crowd - and my competitors - were behind me. There was some exuburant hair tossing, leg kickin' and shoulder shakin'. I skated okay AND I GOT SECOND! Best part for me was even before results were up, the whole lot of us went to the podium for a group picture, that was like skating the perfect program and better than the medal. Call it a mutual admiration society, I just really like all the women I competed with in this competition, and I felt like that was what adult skating is all about.

My last event was interp pairs/duo. My lovely companion Denise and I developed a "compulsory" dance for the Beer Barrel Polka, borrowing heavily from Bronze MIF, the Cha Cha, the Hickory Hoedown, disco, and the rink rats at our club. Went out and skated like we owned the place, determined to entertain the crowd. We worked our Tanith faces, had the judges roaring and yes, we wore foam barrels. AND GOT FIRST!

As for my impression of other skaters and events, I was overall impressed with the skill, quality, creativeness, elegance, camraderie everyone exhibited. We all juggle so much to compete in this sport and it's remarkable to see.

I just love adult skating.

Oh, and completely wowed by Champ Men's and Champ Gold Ladies event. I'm afraid me and my friends charmed then scared Brooks just a little. We're his fangirls!

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2008, 10:39 AM
What's the web address for the eastern's photos? By the time I finished they were pretty much packed up!http://patricksweeneyphotography.com/
Click 'Menu,' then 'View Event.' The username is skate308R1, skate308R2, skate309R1, or skate309R2 (308/309 being the date, and R1/R2 being rink 1 or rink 2).

Hmmm, the card they gave me says that the password is confidential, so maybe I'll just PM that to you ...

Mel On Ice
03-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Nova, you're still a hottie

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Aww, you're the best. (I'll disregard the comment from someone at my rink who said that I look like a big sugar plum in my outfit! :lol: :P )

Any pics of your pairs/interp routines?! 8-)

flutzilla1
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
....I got 11th out of 12 for Champ Gold Ladies, even though most others in my group had plenty of falls and mistakes. I didn't fall once, and all of my elements have improved greatly over the years. Did the judges even care about that? No! I can't understand what it is that they just don't like about my skating. Seems to me they'd rather just downgrade me on what's bad than give me credit for what's good! :frus:

(hugs) Please don't give up blacksheep! The first AN I went to I skated cleanly but finished 8th out of 11 in my qualifier behind several ladies who had made mistakes in their programs (several judges even put me behind a girl who had fallen and hit her head on the ice in her program), which was a hugely deflating experience for me. But I've kept at it and I've worked hard to improve, and I've come a long way this season and won my group of Bronze 3 Ladies at Easterns this past weekend. So don't give up! I think just being at your level and being able to compete in Champ Gold is amazing in and of itself.

techskater
03-10-2008, 11:26 AM

I would highly suggest a trip to visit with Cinderella's coach for a few lessons or a visit to the GR girls' coach who has gotten them all to a much higher level than they were before. I am making plans to get coached up with some other eyes this summer, especially while my coach is away on vacation. Before you all ask, yes she already knows! :lol:

I skated two pretty good FS within 2 hours of each other. Ended up in a tie for 6th in Championship Gold and was pretty happy with the skate except one jump pass and a couple of not my best spins. My Open event was a few hours later and that was the one I should have had in Championship as it was just a little bit better. :roll:

flutzilla1
03-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Nova, you're still a hottie

I agree :)

Mel On Ice
03-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Aww, you're the best. (I'll disregard the comment from someone at my rink who said that I look like a big sugar plum in my outfit! :lol: :P )

Any pics of your pairs/interp routines?! 8-)

My rinkmate Amanda was taking pictures and so were a bunch of others, so I'm sure they will surface somewhere.

As for sugar plums, wait until you see June Smith at Nationals - she's gorgeous!

Mel On Ice
03-10-2008, 11:34 AM
I would highly suggest a trip to visit with Cinderella's coach for a few lessons or a visit to the GR girls' coach who has gotten them all to a much higher level than they were before. I am making plans to get coached up with some other eyes this summer, especially while my coach is away on vacation. Before you all ask, yes she already knows! :lol:

I skated two pretty good FS within 2 hours of each other. Ended up in a tie for 6th in Championship Gold and was pretty happy with the skate except one jump pass and a couple of not my best spins. My Open event was a few hours later and that was the one I should have had in Championship as it was just a little bit better. :roll:

BS, I agree with tech, a new set of eyes helps give you a new perspective and maybe even a new approach. That's where I was 2 years ago when I was always coming in last or near last and wondering what the heck was going on.

I don't like to hear that you are upset, I prefer to think of you as the happy, colorful hippie. :D

NoVa Sk8r
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
INova did a great job in the Pairs event too -- he and his partner had the nicest-positioned lifts in the competition IMO.Tara will be glad to hear that. She was in the doldrums after our skate. I was very pleased with it--we've only been skating together for 3 months, the program is only 7 weeks old, and we jsut learned one of the elements--the twist lift--a few weeks ago!

Your program was **nice**. I had never seen you skate with so much speed and --confidence--. Really hard to achieve that on competition ice. :bow:

herniated
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Had so much fun at Easterns!! I think I enjoy the adult camraderie more than the skating sometimes!!!8O

I learned two great things from talking to other skaters regarding dealing with the NERVES. One is from sexy skates.. she said.. 'today I'm not competeing, I'm just skating. 'And the other person.. well I don't remember her name but she said..'I think we sometimes forget that this is voluntary..' Thanks ladies your thoughts both helped me tremendously.

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Had so much fun at Easterns!! I think I enjoy the adult camraderie more than the skating sometimes!!!8O

I learned two great things from talking to other skaters regarding dealing with the NERVES. One is from sexy skates.. she said.. 'today I'm not competeing, I'm just skating. 'And the other person.. well I don't remember her name but she said..'I think we sometimes forget that this is voluntary..' Thanks ladies your thoughts both helped me tremendously.

Funny - I had the same thought as sexyskates - I pretended that I was just going skating - as usual. There just seemed to be more people there!

Not to say that I was completely not nervous or that things didn't happen that almost never happen when I am practicing, but that thought definitely helped me get ready to compete at PCAS!

w.w.west
03-10-2008, 12:57 PM
lessee...

Sunday, I was in Light Enertainment/Comedy with yet another strong group. I did Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" and was delighted that the crowd - and my competitors - were behind me. There was some exuburant hair tossing, leg kickin' and shoulder shakin'. I skated okay AND I GOT SECOND! Best part for me was even before results were up, the whole lot of us went to the podium for a group picture, that was like skating the perfect program and better than the medal. Call it a mutual admiration society, I just really like all the women I competed with in this competition, and I felt like that was what adult skating is all about.

My last event was interp pairs/duo. My lovely companion Denise and I developed a "compulsory" dance for the Beer Barrel Polka, borrowing heavily from Bronze MIF, the Cha Cha, the Hickory Hoedown, disco, and the rink rats at our club. Went out and skated like we owned the place, determined to entertain the crowd. We worked our Tanith faces, had the judges roaring and yes, we wore foam barrels. AND GOT FIRST!

I am so, so sorry that I missed these!!!! I hope to catch your interp at AN. Not sure where I will see the Polka. Maybe at GR Open in June? I'm really considering attending if it works out that I can attend....Interp only...no FS will be done with that by then.

Does this mean we can throw beer on the ice to you after your skate!

techskater
03-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Beer was thrown for them already courtesy of skater1964! :lol:

Toilet paper was thrown for me! ;)

sk8er1964
03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Beer was thrown for them already courtesy of skater1964! :lol:

Toilet paper was thrown for me! ;)

I feel like such a lush! :lol:

Blacksheep - tech gave you some very good advice. It's really great to have another set of eyes looking at you sometimes. If you want, pm me and I can give you a few tips.

daisies
03-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Congrats to everyone who competed at Sectionals! I had to skip mine this year, but I am looking forward to AN!

Does anyone have a report on the figures event at PCAS? I hope that event starts a trend!

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
HOLLY MOLEY!!! That's the first I've ever heard of a comp. (I've heard of a tie but never a THREE WAY TIE!!! And yes, I did noticed all you guys had Gold medals around the neck... which totally threw me off as to who got what medal...)
I have seen this, it happened at our UK Adult Championships a few years ago in Silver Ladies I - there were only 3 skaters in the event, and I remember saying to a friend after watching that I wouldn't like to have to sort that out! All three skaters had different strengths, and they were all superb - as, indeed, I'm sure these guys were. Just wish I'd seen it, is all!

Glad you've all had fun!

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have a report on the figures event at PCAS? I hope that event starts a trend!

Not really a report, but I was in the event and it was a success! There were 8 competitors in the "High figures" event and 3 in the "low figures". The judges seemed thrilled to be there and the interest in the event from the onlookers was very high. It was great to see young skaters and their parents sitting in the stands - of course there was no cheering, but I think everyone was impressed with the event in general and the kids were amazed to see judges standing on the ice!!

I competed in the Low Figures - FOI Serpentine (from the 1st test) and FO-BI3s from the 2nd test. In both event you could start with either foot (skater's preference). If there was one complaint it was that in the announcement it said that ANY lines and marks could be used to line up your figures, but in reality, no one was allowed to start their figure on the big blue or red line, which would have been nice for the 3s (and the brackets which were on the "High Test") but that part turned out okay I guess. No big grousing.

They took some pictures of the skaters, judges and referees as a group and I'm hoping it shows up in Skating Magazine or icenetwork... we shall see.

The person (woman) who won the "High test" level was THRILLED to say the least. I had a chance to speak to her during the event and she said that she had gotten very little support at her home rink for wanting to do figures, which is too bad. I hope that she feels vindicated in taking home the gold!

Myself, I got the bronze in the "low" group but the personal victory for me was that my BI3 (my nemesis) were probably about the best I could have skated them and they felt good, which was amazing! The serpentine, however, was a different story - this figure was of course the easiest and much better than the 3s usually, but I almost fell coming into the 2nd change of edge on either the 1st or 2nd pattern (can't remember which, now!) and so the change was completely wonky and basically went across the long axis (!) rather than the short - completely freaked me out - I figured I had lost in right there!! At the point of almost falling I also had this wild mental image of me splattered on the ice which I knew COULD NOT HAPPEN!!!:) :)

I have one thing to say though about being an adult competitor - I had a MAJOR hot flash right at the start of the serpentine which really could have thrown me off (ya think?;) ) on that one. An excuse, I know, but is this something our younger competitors experience? I don't think so!!!!

jazzpants
03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
You guys in Midwestern had BEER?!?!?! Boy! Can't wait to see what happens at Nationals!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Hey NoVa! Can you (or someone) please pass me the password for Eastern Still pictures too. I want to see the purple outfit too!!! :P

BlackSheep: I third the suggestion about getting another pair of eyes to watch how you skate. I go to my NYC coach every year for a new perspective on things that my other two coaches don't always give and he doesn't have that thing where he's ready to give up on me (my issues are often very stubborn to fix.) And this year's group of lessons was no different then any other year (i.e. I leave NYC every year wishing I could stay and train with him for about 6 months instead of going back home with my two coaches!!!)

And yes, I would start with Cinderella's coach!!! You know the old Bugs Bunny line: "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" ;)

I also suggest going to a judge's critique... or if you can't get to that, have your coach arrange to have a high level judge take a look at your program a few weeks before Nationals. I'm planning on doing something like that soon and I know I'm gonna get a lot of ummmm... constructive criticism!!! :twisted: 8O :P ("Yes, I know my skating sucks!!! Tell me what to do to fix it so I wouldn't suck as much!!!" :lol: )

I have one thing to say though about being an adult competitor - I had a MAJOR hot flash right at the start of the serpentine which really could have thrown me off (ya think?;) ) on that one. An excuse, I know, but is this something our younger competitors experience? I don't think so!!!!Oh, geez! Something to look forward to in a few years for me... NOT!!! :twisted: :P

daisies
03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
icedancer2, thank you so much for your figures report. And congrats to you on participating and earning the bronze! I love hearing that there was an audience and that the judges enjoyed being there. Interesting point about hot flashes! If there is a bright side, at least you weren't shivering from the cold. ;)

Black Sheep, I agree as well that seeking another coach's opinion (or, perhaps even better, a judge's opinion) on your skating is a great idea. Several months ago I took one lesson from a different coach because my coach was out of town, and it had a huge impact on me. Similarly, I asked a judge/technical panelist to look at my individual elements last month, and that too made a big difference. My perception of what I had been doing was way off ... I'd go do a sitspin that I thought was really good, only to have the coach tell me it basically sucked! LOL! Hearing that was tough, but it got me working on something I didn't think needed work. Then, when the judge/technical panelist saw my sitspin, she told me she was pleasantly surprised at its quality! She never would have said that had the other coach not told me it sucked, because I just would have been doing the same crappy thing over and over. Anyway, I hope the suggestions on this board help you. :)

flying~camel
03-10-2008, 02:26 PM
skater1964, your Jimmy MacElroy was GREAT and your partner's Chazz Michael Michaels wasn't too darned bad either!

I have to say, though I was slightly disappointed that you didn't pull a dove out of your suit at the end ;)

jazzpants
03-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I have to say, though I was slightly disappointed that you didn't pull a dove out of your suit at the end ;)Or at least a rubber chicken? :halo:

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Congrats to everyone who competed at Sectionals! I had to skip mine this year, but I am looking forward to AN!

I think it will - I heard a lot of people talking about it. I will PM you.

lovepairs
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
The photographer who took the stills if Patrick Sweeny Photography. I just spoke with him, very lovely man. He said to go ahead and post the password that it is not a secret.

So, click on the link http://patricksweeneyphotography.com/ then go to "View Event" from the Menu

UserName: skate308R1 (or, which ever your event was)
The password is: 4915

He also said that you can order stills through the website, but will have to contact him directly if you want a CD. His number is: 210-906-2221

TimDavidSkate
03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Does anybody know the results from the Silver Men's event :halo: Pacifics and Midwesterns?

Thanks in advance :bow:

manleywoman
03-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I, like Daisies, would love to know more about the figures event at Pacs. Anyone else have details on the high events? What were the final placements?

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I, like Daisies, would love to know more about the figures event at Pacs. Anyone else have details on the high events? What were the final placements?

I don't know the name of the woman who won the Gold in the high level event but she was from Santa Rosa. Two local Portland skaters, Kelli Clark and Pam Olzman, won the Silver and Bronze.

The woman who won the gold also told me that it was absolutely the most fun she had had skating in a long, long while and that it didn't last nearly long enough out on the ice (I also felt that it all went by rather quickly!).

I wonder if the names will be posted of all of the competitors? I know that when we have our local nonqualifying competitions there is never any records kept, at least not in any way that I've been able to find. I suppose I can contact the Chairperson of the event and try to find out through them?

sexyskates
03-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Icedancer2, congrats on competing in Figures! It sounds extremely difficult and it's great that you were able to keep your balance on the bad turn. I have never seen a figures competition. I hope that you will give me a demonstration in Portland when I visit again this summer!

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Icedancer2, congrats on competing in Figures! It sounds extremely difficult and it's great that you were able to keep your balance on the bad turn. I have never seen a figures competition. I hope that you will give me a demonstration in Portland when I visit again this summer!

Thanks!! I look forward to it! :lol:

By the way - have you seen my blog? You might enjoy it seeing as you have skated in Portland!!

PattyP
03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
OMG! 8O Did you all hear about the big "wine tasting" scandal in the PCAS Ch. Gold event?? :oops: :oops: :oops: 8-)

jazzpants
03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
OMG! 8O Did you all hear about the big "wine tasting" scandal in the PCAS Ch. Gold event?? :oops: :oops: :oops: 8-)
I did NOT!!! Tell me more!!! (Or rather, spill what you CAN remember about it, PattyP. I know you're in on it!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

(Okay, so, Easterns is vodka nips, Midwestern is beer http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/a015.gif or champagne http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/a010.gif and Pacific Coast is fine wines http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/nahrung/a020.gif ... gotcha!!! Oh, dear! This teetotaler is gonna get smashed by the time she hits the ice to compete!!! :P :lol: )

looplover
03-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, is ice network not going to post videos of sectionals and only post championship masters results?!?! :evil:

Wanted to watch everyone skate!!! GRR

I hope they are just behind in posting.

Also, spill it about the wine tasting scandal. Did the gold skaters show up tipsy?

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Also, spill it about the wine tasting scandal. Did the gold skaters show up tipsy?

I did hear something about this but no details AT ALL but for the record the competition rink is in the wine country so the fine wine thing is appropriate here. Very fine wine, actually!8-)

Kristin
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM

There was a 3-way tie at Mids this year too: the Silver spins event where all 3 entrants tied for first. :)

sk8er1964
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
skater1964, your Jimmy MacElroy was GREAT and your partner's Chazz Michael Michaels wasn't too darned bad either!

I have to say, though I was slightly disappointed that you didn't pull a dove out of your suit at the end ;)

:lol: That's the first thing my son asked about when I said we were doing Blades of Glory.

I am so darn proud of "Chazz" my buttons could have burst. Her first ever competition and she came off the ice saying she wanted to do it again. Yay!

Kristin
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Maybe your coach can ask for a judges' critique? I know they were doing that for Gold/Masters groups. You could listen to what they have to say & maybe it will help explain your placement so you can improve for next time. :)

sk8er1964
03-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Were you drinking wine without me again? :twisted:

PattyP
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Yep....very tasty Pinot Noir!!

Okay...I'll spill...the story that is, not the wine.

My Gold III event did not go well at all and I was having some minor issues and decided to withdraw from the Ch. event. My coach's other skater made the same decision. So my coach thought she would cheer us up by taking us wine tasting since we were right in middle of Oregon's wine country.

We withdrew officially, they even told us they were hand carrying a note to the referee to ensure everyone knew we were out and off we went.

Well, apparently the note got lost before it got to the referee, or who knows what happened. I heard they were calling our names during our warm up and there was a lot of confusion. Finally Carolee skates up to the referee and announces loudly that "Of course they are not here...they're wine tasting!"...with a "duh, didn't you know" attitude. I guess the judges could hardly contain themselves.

The next morning I caught flack from everyone about scratching my event to go wine tasting. LOL It was a while before I heard the whole story as to what happened.

PattyP
03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Were you drinking wine without me again? :twisted:

Sorry man....shoulda been there! It was goooood too. 8-)

Mrs Redboots
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh, Patty, that's priceless!

The most enjoyable figures event ever was last year at the Mountain Cup, when "waiters" took to the ice and fed the competitors with wine and nibbles between figures. And the judges, too....

jazzpants
03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
PattyP: THAT is PRICELESS!!! ROFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (Sk8er1964: Wanna hand over the "Lush of the Year" crown to Ms. PattyP this year???) ;)

Terri C
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I watched the entire Silver 1/2 Mens event and all of you were terrific and the golds deservedly earned. Nova's back shoot the duck/hydroblading was amazing and Tim you are far too modest -- your presentation and expressiveness was wonderful (unlike me, who looks morosely down at the ice so much you would think I was looking for spare change).

Terri C did a GREAT job in the competition and I was very happy to be able to be the one to take her podium photo for the Pre-Bronze 3 FS.

Funny thing is, I missed the medal cermony for my freestyle event becauce I was watching the Silver men's event. It was only after that that I went to look for my results and was 8O !

NoVa, let's rephrase this- you are a sophisticated grape ape, okay?

I had a blast watching the Masters Men and Pairs events -- Jason is my hero by the way. After skating a challenging Masters Men program, he literally jumped back on the ice and skated an even BETTER pairs program. Nova did a great job in the Pairs event too -- he and his partner had the nicest-positioned lifts in the competition IMO.

The event was really nicely run; the only thing that was odd was the timing of the medal ceremonies. There was one every hour on Sunday starting at 9:30am, and there were events in which only one person was able to show up due to spins/compulsories/etc going on. For my Bronze 3 event two of the four people on our podium were missing. It was a bummer because I really enjoy having the podium photos to put in my scrapbook.

Jason was amazing in both events, period. He and Joy were a lot of fun to watch and both of them looked as if they were having fun. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?

I had no clue about the awards ceremonies and when they were going to be held. That could be a reason why a lot of people were missing.
BTW- I got my missing suitcase this afternoon- everything is there that should be!

icedancer2
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
The most enjoyable figures event ever was last year at the Mountain Cup, when "waiters" took to the ice and fed the competitors with wine and nibbles between figures. And the judges, too....

This would have been great in Portland, too, except the figures event was held first thing in the morning!

Well, on second thought, maybe that would have helped!!:lol:

PattyP
03-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Oh, Patty, that's priceless!

LOL, wine and figures...I'd like to see those tracings!

jazzpants
03-10-2008, 07:09 PM
But I've kept at it and I've worked hard to improve, and I've come a long way this season and won my group of Bronze 3 Ladies at Easterns this past weekend. So don't give up!WOW!!! CONGRATS TO YOU, Flutzilla1!!! WOO HOO!!! :bow: (I better work my tail off this month to at least keep up with you and Mel On Ice and all during warm-up at AN. SHEESH!!! The Bronze Ladies III field is SCARY!!! 8O 8O 8O :bow: :bow: :bow: )

vesperholly
03-10-2008, 07:12 PM
What I thought was really bizarre at Easterns was events with only one entry were judged against the book. They competed against "x" and "xx" - and some people placed third behind two imaginary competitors! 8O I've never been to a competition judged like that. I would withdraw if that was one of my events - who wants to place third against no one??

looplover
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
What I thought was really bizarre at Easterns was events with only one entry were judged against the book. They competed against "x" and "xx" - and some people placed third behind two imaginary competitors! 8O I've never been to a competition judged like that. I would withdraw if that was one of my events - who wants to place third against no one??

Heh, I had to do that twice in ISI - I was so worried I would lose to the book!

That is hilarious about the wine tasting :lol: :lol:

GordonSk8erBoi
03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Just wanted to chime in about the figures event at PCAS, since I was a spectator for the high test figures.

I thought it was awesome! There were a number of younger skaters present since one of our Sherwood coaches (Kelli Clark) was competing -- so that's pretty good exposure too. They were holding up signs for her, etc., almost like a golf tournament :-). As always when I watch figures I was very impressed at the control (especially upper body) that is required. It's really very cool. If they offered a figures class I'd take it!

I wanted to say a word about the coaches' interp. at PCAS. Three Sherwood coaches were entered in this event, but one coach (mine :-() had to withdraw as she was very sick. It was a very inspiring event! The crowd was whooping and hollering, spelling out the competitor's names ('Give me a "K"? "K!" Give me an "R"? "R!"' etc.), and the judges even (briefly) did the "wave". Seriously! It was pretty awesome, and again really neat for the skaters to see coaches out there doing their thing. All told there were 4 coaches from Sherwood competing at PCAS, 2 in the coaches' interp, one in high test figures and one in dance.

mikawendy
03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
That is hilarious about the wine tasting :lol: :lol:

I bet that's the first time the judges have heard something like that, especially the ones who usually judge standard track competitions!! :lol: :lol:

jskater49
03-10-2008, 08:53 PM

I've finished 3rd against the book. More than once. Once I even made them take a picture of me with my bronze medal by myself on the podium :bow:

The thing about it was when a year later those same judges gave me a 1st against the book, I knew it was really good because they were not afraid to give third place.

j

skatingatty
03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Congratulations to everyone. Sounds like it was a thrilling and well-run competition! Is anything up at icenetwork? I'll take a look....

saras
03-10-2008, 11:09 PM

It was a total blast! I'm just home and rather tired, but here's a quickie report.

There were 8 people in the event (one person pulled out). They coned off the ends of the rink for warming up - one end was high figures, the other low. One by one they called us out to lay out the first figure, then the second. They switched the starting order for the two figures - the 1st of the 8 listed people went first for the 1-foot 8, the 4th of the 8 skaters when first for the bracket.

I was in the high figures event. I have never felt less nervous getting in front of judges - it was more like "whee - this is cool!". The judges were having a blast too. I skated really well - I started on the R foot for the one foot 8, and that first circle was a few inches wider on the starting side than the other circle - but the other side was perfect, the changes neat, etc. And the bracket - There were these pine trees painted in the center hockey circle that I was hoping to use to help with lining up the bracket placement, but that part of the ice was pretty used when they called me up so they had me use a different part. Luckily there was a cartooney skate shape on the ice so I picked a spot of that to use to place my back brackets (the ones I have the hardest time centering), and there was a dark spot on the ice for the F brackets. I have NEVER laid out such a nice series of brackets. The back ones - I got around to do the third one and the first two were *right* on top of each other and nicely shaped. The third one ended about an inch away from that one. (Can I confess that they're usually scattered in about one square foot of space?) The forwards were clean, nicely shaped, well placed, etc. It was a good figure.

I ended up 4th out of 8 - which holy cow, the three above me were all 8th test skaters! I am totally excited. (I passed my 3rd test a few summers ago.) I switched sections/clubs in order to do this event! (I live in NY so normally would skate at Easterns.) At the end, one judge got off the ice and chatted for a bit - she said they were trying to guess folks' test levels as we skated and she asked mine. She nodded and said that was about what she guessed grin.

They're thinking of running a figures-only event late in the summer - picking 15 figures, you can pick which you wanna compete. FX they do it!

mikawendy
03-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the detailed report about the figures event, saras! Sounds like it was great!

I'm no good at figures (I putter out in the middle of them!) but they're fun!

SkaterBird
03-11-2008, 12:21 AM
lessee...

For those of you who weren't there, pretty much everyone in the rink was actually singing the Beer Barrel Polka by the time they were finished. And laughing uproariously. I laughed so hard I ended up with the hiccups. :lol: Mel, I have to tell you this - my young daughter, who accompanied me to this competition, loved your number so much that she had me teach her the song (or as much as I know of it) in the car as we were leaving Ann Arbor. For a kid who has a significant speech disorder and therefore does not really like to sing, that was a very big deal indeed. :bow: You now have a fan for life.

vesperholly
03-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Mini-report from Easterns!

I competed in Silver Ladies 1. I didn't skate very well - fell on the axel, left out a spin and some combinations. :( But I was glad to get out there and do the program in competition before ANs. Now I know what I need to work on.

badaxel won a silver medal in her freestyle and landed a beautiful axel in her program for the first time! She's also a very good spinner - there was a great shot of her layback from the photographer. Her family came to support her and threw a ton of beanies on the ice, it was cute.

Stormy kicked butt in Gold, she definitely belongs in that level - she even got ordinals over a skater who qualified in Championship! I was really impressed with her strong camel spins and her presentation was awesome.

I loved watching Joy Dubost and Jason Spicer in pairs. They skated great, with SBS 2sals (!) and I think they did a twist lift too. Jason also did great in Championship Masters men, he is so smiley, it's fun to watch. NoVa's pairs team (Tara's here on SF, right?) was really good, especially their lifts. They didn't look like they'd only been skating together for three months. Tara also skated well in Championship Gold to win the silver.

FrankR!!!! *squee* What a wonderful program. All his jumps were HUGE and he skated great. I was so, so happy he skated so well, and then won, with straight 1sts!

The woman who won Championship Gold, Cynthia Jacobsen, did a fantastic program. She only missed her second 2sal, with a fall out. Everything else was really good. I am inspired and intimidated at the same time!

I loved Amy Entwistle's choreography in Championship Masters. She did a really cool, intricate program to jungle music. It looked incredibly hard, and she executed it so well. Her great specialty - insanely difficult and nifty footwork - was showcased to perfection.

I had the pleasure of meeting TerriC, but unfortunately missed her competition when I was watching Stormy on the other rink. :(

Terri C
03-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Ya know guys, I'm now coming to the conclusion that it really stinks that the NQ will not be shown on icenetwork. I would have been happy to have signed a release form and it would have given me a way to watch everything I missed (like Stormy's freeskate).

Mel On Ice
03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
:bow: You now have a fan for life.

SWEET! Props must not go to me though -- this program was the brainchild of my partner in crime, Denise. We were brainstorming, appropriately enough, at a coney island over chili dogs. We had so much fun collaborating on all the little ideas to make it more fun, more entertaining. If you guys aren't enjoying it, we aren't doing our job.

TimDavidSkate
03-11-2008, 08:52 AM

:halo: Thanks youre very sweet

Kristin
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
It was a total blast! I'm just home and rather tired, but here's a quickie report.

Sara, thanks for the report on the figures event! Glad you got to do this, I know how much you love those figures, especially since they were always there for you when you weren't allowed to jump! :) It was fascinating for me to read all about your experiences since figures are not competed anymore these days. I miss them too. :roll:

Good job on your 4th place too! :)

Skittl1321
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Wow- the figures events sound SO neat. I wish people here did figures, but our ice is so bad I don't know how we ever could.

Congratulations everyone on sectionals.

NoVa Sk8r
03-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I loved watching Joy Dubost and Jason Spicer in pairs. They skated great, with SBS 2sals (!) and I think they did a twist lift too. Jason also did great in Championship Masters men, he is so smiley, it's fun to watch. NoVa's pairs team (Tara's here on SF, right?) was really good, especially their lifts. They didn't look like they'd only been skating together for three months. Tara also skated well in Championship Gold to win the silver.
Thanx ... Tara will be very happy to hear that (she no longer posts or lurks here)! Jason and Joy did a loop lift. He's actually never done the twist lift, ever. I think it scares the bejeesus out of him. 8O (They also did sbs axel/toe.)

Vesp, I thoroughly enjoyed wathching the champ. gold ladies event with you and Stormy. :halo: ("Not a feature.") :)

daisies
03-11-2008, 02:31 PM
saras, great figures report! Thanks and congrats! How fun. :)

Regarding icenetwork not showing NQ ... the NQ portion of the competition is essentially a local competition, not handled through USFS at all.

jazzpants
03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I sure would LOVE to see the results of the NQ events for all three Sectionals. :D So far, I see nothing up yet... on all three skating club's websites. :(

doubletoe
03-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Yep....very tasty Pinot Noir!!

Okay...I'll spill...the story that is, not the wine.

My Gold III event did not go well at all and I was having some minor issues and decided to withdraw from the Ch. event. My coach's other skater made the same decision. So my coach thought she would cheer us up by taking us wine tasting since we were right in middle of Oregon's wine country.

We withdrew officially, they even told us they were hand carrying a note to the referee to ensure everyone knew we were out and off we went.

Well, apparently the note got lost before it got to the referee, or who knows what happened. I heard they were calling our names during our warm up and there was a lot of confusion. Finally Carolee skates up to the referee and announces loudly that "Of course they are not here...they're wine tasting!"...with a "duh, didn't you know" attitude. I guess the judges could hardly contain themselves.

The next morning I caught flack from everyone about scratching my event to go wine tasting. LOL It was a while before I heard the whole story as to what happened.

Yeah, I admit it: We were all jealous that they went off wine tasting while we suffered through what turned out to be the toughest Championship Gold competition ever. To make matters worse, she did NOT bring me back a bottle of wine to nurse my wounds after my awful skate! :cry: Now I know why they call it "sour grapes" ;) :lol:

BTW, we all knew Patty and Wanda had properly informed the powers-that-be, so we were baffled that the referee was in the dark. Apparently, the ice monitor had dropped the ball, and instead of just asking us for our names again before taking the ice for warmup, it ended up in the referee's lap. So they had to interrupt our 6-minute warmup with an announcement calling us over to the referee to give him our names. He asked us if Patty and Wanda were there, and Carolee piped up and tattled on them, LOL! Once we went back to our warmup, it was interrupted again by the missing skaters' names being announced over the PA system! Arrghh.

P.S. Glad I stayed until Monday evening so hubby and I could get an afternoon of wine tasting in! It helped heal the ego wound a little, although it didn't do much for the blade wound I got during my Gold III skate (thank goodness I was wearing a red dress!!).

SK8RX
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Does anybody know the results from the Silver Men's event :halo: Pacifics and Midwesterns?

Thanks in advance :bow:

From Pac Coasts:

Silver Men was a very well skated event. All of the skaters had some exceptionally nice moments in their programs. The top three guys all landed their axels in their programs. Marco Pizzo won with a beautifully choreographed program, and skated with good speed, grace, nice jumps and spins, and excellent in-betweens. He really demonstrated a complete package of skating skills. Christoper Borton was second and skated a great program with good speed, nice jumps and interesting movements. He had a minor stumble, but otherwise he had a really great skate. Scott Stewart finished third, landed his axel, and as always had a fun program with good presentation. Akira Kondo (?) was fourth, and skated quite nicely.

All these guys should do well in their respective age events at Nationals. It was a pleasure watching all of them.

Mel On Ice
03-11-2008, 03:23 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2327582260_e6f240ec29_o.jpg

Here's the podium pic of the duo competition at Mids. So much fun skating this!

coskater64
03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I watched the silver men at Mids and I remember being impressed, one fellow Tuan, (sp) looked like he was very young landed beautiful axels and had good footwork speed and spins. I had to ask if it was the gold men because that is what he looked like to me. It was a mixed group for ages and I don't recall who won but that one skater and two or three others were very strong.
:D

vesperholly
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
(I live in NY so normally would skate at Easterns.)
I was wondering where you were this year! :) I'm glad you were able to support a figures event, even if it meant missing a "Shut Up and Skate" reunion.

sk8er1964
03-11-2008, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=Mel On Ice;357665
Here's the podium pic of the duo competition at Mids. So much fun skating this![/QUOTE]

Aren't we so sexy. :lol:

Mel On Ice
03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
except your partner "smelled like aftershave and taco meat"

See you at Grublets on Ice!

SkaterBird
03-11-2008, 05:03 PM
SWEET! Props must not go to me though -- this program was the brainchild of my partner in crime, Denise. We were brainstorming, appropriately enough, at a coney island over chili dogs. We had so much fun collaborating on all the little ideas to make it more fun, more entertaining. If you guys aren't enjoying it, we aren't doing our job.

You AND Denise have fans for life!!! :bow: :bow: You need to indulge in chili dogs more often, if this type of comedic genius is the result!!!

TimDavidSkate
03-11-2008, 05:39 PM
I watched the silver men at Mids and I remember being impressed, one fellow Tuan, (sp) looked like he was very young landed beautiful axels and had good footwork speed and spins. I had to ask if it was the gold men because that is what he looked like to me. It was a mixed group for ages and I don't recall who won but that one skater and two or three others were very strong.

Thank you very much for the reports. It inspired me to step back to the ice and work right away

TimDavidSkate
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
From Pac Coasts:

Silver Men was a very well skated event. All of the skaters had some exceptionally nice moments in their programs. The top three guys all landed their axels in their programs. Marco Pizzo won with a beautifully choreographed program, and skated with good speed, grace, nice jumps and spins, and excellent in-betweens. He really demonstrated a complete package of skating skills. Christoper Borton was second and skated a great program with good speed, nice jumps and interesting movements. He had a minor stumble, but otherwise he had a really great skate. Scott Stewart finished third, landed his axel, and as always had a fun program with good presentation. Akira Kondo (?) was fourth, and skated quite nicely.

All these guys should do well in their respective age events at Nationals. It was a pleasure watching all of them.

flying~camel
03-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Tuan Tu won (he was lovely!), I can't remember the name of the guy who got 2nd and Greg Garvin got 3rd. All of the top 3 landed axels.

techskater
03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Mark got second. He's from here.

icedancer2
03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I ended up 4th out of 8 - which holy cow, the three above me were all 8th test skaters! I am totally excited. (I passed my 3rd test a few summers ago.) I switched sections/clubs in order to do this event! (I live in NY so normally would skate at Easterns.) At the end, one judge got off the ice and chatted for a bit - she said they were trying to guess folks' test levels as we skated and she asked mine. She nodded and said that was about what she guessed grin.

They're thinking of running a figures-only event late in the summer - picking 15 figures, you can pick which you wanna compete. FX they do it!

Sara - that is awesome - placing 4th in that group with those higher-level skaters!! I wondered how that was going to sort out since the level spanned such a wide range of tests and abilities. Awesome!!!

We low-test people didn't have the advantage of any of those fir trees or skate picture on the ice to set up our figures on - our end had just a big, blank sheet of ice so I just went for it - put my serpentine next to the blue line so I could kind of "kiss" the line to line up the circles. The 3s I just kind of winged it...

I don't know what figure tests the other people in the "Low test" group were - I have my Adult Bronze and 1st figure but only my Bronze Moves. The other two competitors are at least Gold (Matt) and I believe Silver MITF skaters and so their 3s were probably WAY better than mine, just from having had to do them on that test... I don't feel bad about that because, well, those were the requirements and I had no idea who might show up for that event. In fact, I figured no one would sign up and then I wouldn't have to do it! I'm glad I did though - it was fun and I will do it again. Hopefully I won't get as nervous!

Anyway, my friend made a video of me doing my 3s and my Serpentine. The quality is not so good (she did it with her phone) but I can see where I skidded on something as I came into my second COE which I think kind of blew it for me on that figure. It really made me nervous.

Here is the video of my FOI Serpentine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSY1KKlgJTY)

I put the video of my 3s up at the thread where you post photos/videos of your skating... not to be redundant, I won't post them here...

This will give some people an idea of what it was like to be at a figure event, with the judges on the ice right next to you and all - actually that part was not bad at all - it was all kind of cozy.

sk8er1964
03-12-2008, 09:54 AM
All of the Mids results are up on sk8stuff.

http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=3774

vesperholly
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Vesp, I thoroughly enjoyed wathching the champ. gold ladies event with you and Stormy. :halo: ("Not a feature.") :)
ZOMG that was fun. :lol: Can't wait to do it again at Nationals!

FrankR
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Mini-report from Easterns!

I competed in Silver Ladies 1. I didn't skate very well - fell on the axel, left out a spin and some combinations. :( But I was glad to get out there and do the program in competition before ANs. Now I know what I need to work on.

FrankR!!!! *squee* What a wonderful program. All his jumps were HUGE and he skated great. I was so, so happy he skated so well, and then won, with straight 1sts!

Hey there Vesp,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I watched you skate on Sunday and I really enjoyed your program. I was going to mention this to you in person but I didn't get to see you after your skate. With the new back change of edge entrance into your axel, the costume, the way you did your hair and your soft knees and good mechanics I was reminded of Josee Chouinard during your skate. It was just a very smooth and kind of sophisticated vibe. I really liked it. I can't wait to see it again. :-)

Take care,

Frank

daisies
03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Anyway, my friend made a video of me doing my 3s and my Serpentine. The quality is not so good (she did it with her phone) but I can see where I skidded on something as I came into my second COE which I think kind of blew it for me on that figure. It really made me nervous.

Here is the video of my FOI Serpentine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSY1KKlgJTY)

You have really nice flow!

icedancer2
03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
You have really nice flow!

Thank you - I have heard that in the past about my skating but it's nice to hear because I always think I must be losing it...

But if you had been there you would have seen this enormous NOT NICE FLOW when I kind of scuttled across the 2nd COE - I looked at my blade last night after posting the video and see I have a pretty deep nick on my blade in the middle of the last 1/3 of the inside edge on that foot. I must have somehow rocked back on my blade a little (I was nervous) and hit the nick. it felt kind of like I had hit a sequin or something!

Have to get that fixed...:!:

NoVa Sk8r
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Championship videos from Midwesterns ("vids from Mids!") are available on IceNetwork:
http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp?id=34666

flutzilla1
03-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know if results from Pac Coasts or Easterns will be available online?

silverbeetle
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Easterns are already online. Only PCAS left to show up..

Silverbeetle

icedancer2
03-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know if results from Pac Coasts or Easterns will be available online?

The results are all up. They only show the Championship levels.

jazzpants
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
The results are all up. They only show the Championship levels.
I don't know if flutzilla1 meant this, but I think she was referring to the non-qualifying events! I've only seen the qualifying events so far for PCAS and Eastern.

Terri C
03-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't know if flutzilla1 meant this, but I think she was referring to the non-qualifying events! I've only seen the qualifying events so far for PCAS and Eastern.

Unfortunately, I think that only the Qualifying events are posted on Ice Network.
Now what I also consider sad is the fact that the NQ events are not shown. Never mind about the NQ Sectionals being considered a "local " comp, when they called me to the ice in my Pre Bronze free event not only announcing my club, but the city where my club is based at, I knew I wasn't at any ordinary competition.
I don't know about the rest of ya's but I would have signed a release.

skaternum
03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Well, at the risk of being flamed, I don't think the nonqualifying events should be posted on the Icenetwork. They ARE local comps, by definition. The Icenetwork doesn't show nonquals for the standard stuff, so why would they show it for adult stuff? And in general, I don't think I'd really want my program out there, quite frankly. That's not really what the site was designed for.

Stormy
03-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I agree, skaternum.....I mean, it's the same for Regionals, they don't show Open Juvenile. And technically, it's true, they are local comps. I'm sure it has to do with the contract they have with USFS as well. I'm ok with the non qual events not being shown.

jazzpants
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Me personally, I don't really care if the non-qualifying events are up on Ice Network. (Though it would be nice to have it there but I could see the case with the contract between USFSA, the videographer and the Ice Network.)

But all I'm asking for is the results for the non-qualifying events. I'm sure those are posted at least?

icedancer2
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm sure it has to do with the contract they have with USFS as well. I'm ok with the non qual events not being shown.

I agree in general BUT it would be nice to see the results posted SOMEWHERE just to see how your friends did in case you don't speak with them often AND it would be good to see how the ordinals worked out - sometimes it's good to see that a couple of judges ranked you higher than your actual placement after the ordinals have sorted out.

I also saw at least one program this weekend that I would not mind seeing again - it was in the Interpretive ranks - fantatic!! pure theater on ice...

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it shows up on youtube or something.

icedancer2
03-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Videos are up for PCAS!!!

Enjoy!:)

daisies
03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
But all I'm asking for is the results for the non-qualifying events. I'm sure those are posted at least?
Because they are not USFS-coordinated events, they wouldn't be posted on the USFS site or icenetwork. It would be up to the individual club websites to post them or have them sent to Don Korte's site for posting.

Stormy
03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I know Mids results for everything are up on Don Korte's site. But I do wholeheartedly adree that non qual results should be posted somewhere. I hope the North Jersey FSC posts them for Easterns.

jazzpants
03-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Because they are not USFS-coordinated events, they wouldn't be posted on the USFS site or icenetwork. It would be up to the individual club websites to post them or have them sent to Don Korte's site for posting.
Right! My point is that I want the results and I'm waiting for the Oregon Skating Council and the North Jersey FSC to post it...that's all! :)

Videos are up? Great! I'll watch it now (while I STILL have a free weekend and not have work put more work on my plate b/c they know I'm going on vacation for a week in April!!! :roll: "Jazzpants going on vacation??? For a WEEK!?!?! She can't do that!?!?! She has to stay here and test software!!! Hook 'er up with a laptop so she can work from Lake Placid!!! :twisted: " )

blue111moon
03-15-2008, 01:17 PM
In the past they have posted the non-qual results at either USFS or at the host club's site. E-mailing both locations might be helpful.

I, too, would like to see the results of the non-qual events. Videos, not so much.

Black Sheep
03-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Videos are up for PCAS!!!

Enjoy!:)

I tried several times to watch PCAS Champ Gold Ladies, but it always stops loading and starts over when it gets to Jenna.

jazzpants
03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
I tried several times to watch PCAS Champ Gold Ladies, but it always stops loading and starts over when it gets to Jenna.
I had the same thing too. Pause the video, then scroll slightly pass the point of the beginning of her program. (It's 27:30 into the video for me...) You'll miss the beginning but will get to see the rest of her program.

WOW!!! The skating order for the PCAS Adult Gold Ladies are TOTALLY off from the video!!! Lucky for me, I recognize most of the people there!!! 8O

(And jazzpants really needs a new computer. Her ice network videos is coming up CHOPPY!!! GRRRRR! :evil: :frus: )

SK8RX
03-15-2008, 03:22 PM
WOW!!! The skating order for the PCAS Adult Gold Ladies are TOTALLY off from the video!!! Lucky for me, I recognize most of the people there!!! 8O

What they list as the "start order" is actually the final placements of the skaters :).

daisies
03-15-2008, 08:20 PM
The same thing happened to me. Like jazzpants, I had to restart the video and scroll to the point just after it stopped, or else it would stop again. Annoying! LOL!

techskater
03-16-2008, 05:20 AM
The same thing happened to me. Like jazzpants, I had to restart the video and scroll to the point just after it stopped, or else it would stop again. Annoying! LOL!

At least it wasn't just me! LOL! I restarted and scrolled to :31 as the seconds.

doubletoe
03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Non-qualifying results are now up on the PCAS website:

http://www.oregonskating.org/

Terri C
03-17-2008, 05:37 PM
I've just sent a e-mail to the LOC chair of North Jersey FSC. He replied back, telling me that they are having a glitch on their website and hope to have the results up this week.

NoVa Sk8r
03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Easterns results are posted as well:
http://www.northjerseyfsc.org/announcements.htm