View Full Version : Drastic change

xofivebyfive
10-15-2007, 02:02 PM
here is a video of the difference between one day of skating with my sitspin:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HqrckM-QsYU

Anyone else have anything like this happen? I have no idea where the extra strength came from, but this is absolutely amazing. And also, all of a sudden my snap into a backspin when I go up and try for an axel is so much quicker, and I haven't even been working on the axel for a month!

cherriee
10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Kudos! That is an awesome sit spin progress. I envy your camel spin too. :yum:
Well, sudden improvement happens to me sometimes. It seems to come when I'm not thinking too much. Perhaps your 1-month rest of the axel helped?

Sessy
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow I wish I could do that.

But the sudden progress happens. Also don't forget that if you have your proteins after a good training, your muscle will build. 3 days is exactly enough for the building process to complete and also for the muscle to recover. And the brain processes it too, a lot of the progress in skating is in fact not strength, but just improved coordination of strength you already had.

doubletoe
10-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Very impressive! :bow: If you can get more speed on your sitspin, it may be easier to get up out of it (either that, or don't go down quite so low, since it is *really* low!). For more speed, just keep your torso more upright on the entrance edge--rather than leaned forward like a camel entry--and keep your free leg extended really far behind you. That way, when you swing it around, you'll get a great whip into it!

I remember I went from a too-high sitspin to a parallel sitspin in just 5 minutes because my coach told me what the correct position is supposed to feel like. You clearly figured it out! :D

BTW, great catch-foot camel!

Award
10-15-2007, 07:21 PM
The second one is way better. In the first spin, you have significant arch in your back too.

kayskate
10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Don't know if you are looking for advice, but this might help.

You are falling out of your sit b/c your free hip has dropped significantly. Spin is almost lopsided. In your sit pose, think about keeping the free hip up. You might also want to straighten the free leg while keeping the toe turned out. On the 2nd day, your first 2 were best. Looks like you got tired and started dropping the hip.

For more speed, you have to get into the sit pose faster. Concentrate on getting into it in 1 rev. This is hard to achieve, but it will really help you build speed.

Kay

doubletoe
10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
For more speed, you have to get into the sit pose faster. Concentrate on getting into it in 1 rev. This is hard to achieve, but it will really help you build speed.

Kay

Actually, that's a good point. The lower you get on the entrance edge (and even the preparatory edge), the easier it will be to get a low, fast sitspin.

Mrs Redboots
10-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Anyone else have anything like this happen? I have no idea where the extra strength came from, but this is absolutely amazing. And also, all of a sudden my snap into a backspin when I go up and try for an axel is so much quicker, and I haven't even been working on the axel for a month!

Well done! Could it be that you are finally beginning to get a little better now, and have just that much more energy so you can give more to the spin?

vesperholly
10-16-2007, 04:10 PM
You are falling out of your sit b/c your free hip has dropped significantly. Spin is almost lopsided.
Yes, the spin is certainly lower but you're all crooked. The right hip is too low and you're going up on your toe. Every fall is onto your right side.

The sit spin on this video at :23 is much better, even if it isn't as low.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SaxvFxtQwXs

mikawendy
10-16-2007, 08:22 PM
I've had that too, where suddenly something will be drastically better (or drastically different :lol: ). When I notice that, I usually spend part of the session trying to figure out what the heck it is that I'm doing differently, so I can replicate it later!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paulie86
10-17-2007, 03:44 AM
I have, but it never seems to stick for me! And it's always with my spins. I have done a few fabulous cross foot spins but can never replicate them frequently. Very dissapointing :(

That was a great difference by the way. You should be very proud of yourself!

peanutskates
10-17-2007, 02:27 PM
hey, the exact same thing happened to me today!! My sits suddenly got soo much better, I actually did a few well (not very low, but OK-ish)

I keep going too low and falling now!! but you know, it feels really fun falling on sit spins... or is it just me?

blackmanskating
10-17-2007, 03:21 PM

Well my sit spin is fast and centered most of the time, but it is far from low. I wish I could get that low. Wow!!! My rapid progress always seems to happen with my jumps. Sit spins and flying camels are my nemesis. Awesome job!! Keep going!!!! It seems like you are making rapid progress all over the place.

BlackManSkating

ibreakhearts66
10-19-2007, 12:00 AM

i have had similar experiences. for me, its usually that something just clicks. but i know you got your IV put in semi-recently, maybe its really starting to do its job!

i remember one day my double loop just clicked. i went from landing it two footed and cheated, to having it feel like a real, clean jump that i could actually check out of!

for your sit spin, be careful not to sit too low! i know that sounds silly, but with the new judging system you want to aim for a 90 degree knee bend. a little deeper is OK (i assume :?:) but you don't wanna go too low, god forbid. it looks great tho, really, the critique was just from a judging point of view

stardust skies
10-19-2007, 05:03 AM
The first sit spin's position is actually much better. You're centering the second sit spin because you are significantly bending your free leg, and you shouldn't do that- it looks bad. That's the only difference between the two, the bent free leg, which for some coaches is OK, but most will tell you it looks bad and is only a tool for learning to sit deeper before working on straightening it again.

The first one had a great position and should be what you're aiming to center, IMHO. Don't get used to the second one.

xofivebyfive
10-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Okay so what if I had that low of a position and didn't bend my free leg so much? I mean, that was the first day I had done it and I'm sure I could do it eventually without that much of a bend.

doubletoe
10-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Okay so what if I had that low of a position and didn't bend my free leg so much? I mean, that was the first day I had done it and I'm sure I could do it eventually without that much of a bend.

There are two benefits to a straight free leg. The first is that it puts your foot farther away from your body and therefore gives you more of a pendulum effect, which will make your spin faster. The second is that it will help you keep your weight forward once you are in position and you will be less likely to fall back onto your heel and sit down. I have a straight free leg on my forward sit but I have had a habit of not keeping my free leg straight on the back sit and once I focused on keeping the free leg straight and extended on the back sit, I stopped ending up on my butt. :)

mikawendy
10-19-2007, 10:33 PM
So here's another question about drastic changes in skating skills. Usually, when I notice a drastic change, it's because I'm suddenly skating faster or with more power. I've noticed that when I skate slowly, I'm very consistent with my elements, but when I have a sudden burst/change in speed on a day, then my freestyle elements are a mess because I'm suddenly going so much faster. It sort of feels like a train about to derail or something! How do you all deal with accuracy at higher speed?