View Full Version : FSWer's Training Reports

Pages : 1 [2]

Clarice
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
So basicly all I need to do is just untie my laces,and then undo the laces from the HOOKS down to the last one,right? They are already automaticly loose enough near the tough of my boot right? BTW. am I right at saying to use the towels I will wrap them up in to store them in to put them on to dry? Also am I right to be wriping them dry first too?

Yep! All of this sounds right to me!

FSWer
03-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Well my fellow skaters!!! Here it is...my next Report. I got to the Rink a little before 4. For a 4:10 Public Skate. Staff dropped me off. I went in and registered at the Desk with my Skate Passes,and had my hand once again stamped. I put on my Skates with my Skategaurds,and went into the Rink. We were in the Red Rink again. Public Skate must have just started. As there were skaters on the ice already. So I must have be a couple mins. late from tying my skates up.We had a good crowd again today. We even had a Wanna-get-back-into -competing Freestyler there helping skaters out. BOY, SHE WAS NICE!!!! She even showed ME a few things. She showed me how to skate Backward,and when I asked her how you go as fast as she does Backward. As far as getting the speed and all,etc.,she said. "it's all in the pratice,and you just have to keep making yourself go faster. Also..guess what my friends?!!! I also HAD her CONFURM the way I skate on my Edges. As well as my 2-Foot Spin....and....it IS CONFURMED!!!! She said I WAS skating on my Edges,and that my spinning is correct too!!!! She said all I NEED to DO is go faster!!!!! BOY!!!! BOTH my staff and I agree..that getting shown how to skate right by an ACTUAL FREESTYLER...is JUST LIKE getting a FREE LESSON!!!! LOL,she was even the one I HAD to grab onto,when I lost my balance skating over TO her!!! As I wanted to THANK her for ALL the HELP she gave me!!! She also said she couldn't remember the Level she was on when she LAST competed. As she was 12 years old,last she did. But she wants to get back into it. I surely HOPE she comes MORE.As she sure knew what she was doing. BTW. I find myself getting tired,and having to stop a lot mid-ice when I skate.Would this be a natual thing for me? In which case as I go I WILL be ABLE to skate longger without stopping? Can anyone help me? Anyway,after Public Skate,I went to get Dinner. Then came home. Yes I let my skates air-dry on the towels I wrapped them in once again. Next Report on the 28th.

FSWer
03-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi guys. I have just been switching to a brand-new set of dry towels every time I store my skates. To keep them dry all-around and so my blades won't poke my bag. When I return I just put the towels my skates were wrapped up in,in the wash and rewrap my skate with fully dry towels. Is that ok?

I have been letting my skates air out and dry natually like it says in Kristi's Book on the towels I will wrap them up and store them in. Should I be doing that? Or using the towels I had tham in at the Rink to dry,and THEN wrap them up in the new towels?

FSWer
03-19-2010, 12:34 PM
The 1964 Olympic gold medalists in pairs were Ludmila and Oleg Protopopov. They are a very famous team, and were especially known for their death spirals. They are quite old now, but still perform on occasion. If you saw them, you were quite privileged indeed!

As far as your edges go, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how they work. The inside edges are the ones "facing you", as you put it, and the outside ones are the ones "facing the ice". On my right foot, the outside edge is on the right side of my foot, and the inside edge is on the left side. On my left foot, the outside edge is on the left side of my foot and the inside edge is on the right. If I stand with my feet together, the two inside edges are next to each other.

You're right, in that the way you get on one edge or the other is by leaning. If you're gliding on two feet and you lean to the right, so your glide curves to the right, your right foot will be on an outside edge and your left foot will be on an inside edge. If you glide on two feet and lean to the left, so you curve to the left, your left foot is now on an outside edge and your right foot is on an inside edge. Does that make sense?

Say,does anyone happen to know exactly when those 2 were Paired up,and when the last Nationals they ever competed in was? Because when we say 1964, I get courious. As if those 2 were Paired up BEFORE 1960. I THINK I know who their Ntionals competitors were. But can anyone confurm this? BTW. does anyone have a copy of when they skated on Tape/DVD. that they can send me? Thanks.

FSWer
03-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Ok my friends, and fellow Skaters. Here is my Report from Public Skate today. I got to the Rink a little before 4:00. I went in to register at the Desk with my Skate Passes. We were in the Red Rink. I do beleive Public Skate MUST have started at 4:00. As there were skaters ALREADY on the ice when I got there,and the Rink said themselves that the times were changed. But only time will tell on that. LOL. The Pro-Shop was closed,as there was no one around to run it today.Though the Rink says that the store is making money. Anyway,I went in and took my Skategaurds off,and got on the ice. We had a small crowd of Skaters today (About 20 or less I think). I praticed going around the Rink on my Edges (I had to rest a few times going around). I also tried Gliding heal to toe (if indeed from were my feet were,I really was) LOL. I THINK I have found myself to be able to spin that way. But again,I'm not confurmed. I must say too,that I skated ALL THE WAY accoss the Rink today (the long way) without falling,or being knocked over. I then tried to see if I could INDEED skate...BACKWARD accross the Rink, back to were I was.....and BOY!!! It is NOT EASY to DO!!!! When I tried it. I just ended up either with my Blades just going back and fourth in 1 place,or walking backwards so slow,it was like getting nowhere. In short,I spent about 10min.in 1 place. BTW. I DID try going faster. As a the Freestyler from my last Report suggestd. But it DIDN'T help much. A girl there saw me today, and agreed with me when I not only told her, I can't remember exactly my quote). LOL. "it's NOT easy. But you don't have the same power to put on speed going BACKWARD...as you do frontward. It takes pratice. But... Gee,I wonder how you gain the speed. LOL. So I stopped,and will try again next time. So that's my Report for today Next Report when I go again. As the Rink is closed Easter Sun.

dbny
03-30-2010, 01:41 AM
I must say too,that I skated ALL THE WAY accoss the Rink today (the long way) without falling,or being knocked over.

Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment.

Mrs Redboots
03-30-2010, 07:04 AM
I wonder if you have seen the Participant and Recreational Figure Skating FAQ (http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/), which has been compiled over a number of years by various skaters. This tells you all about the basic skills you need to know. It hasn't been kept very up to date, but the basic skills don't change!

FSWer
04-01-2010, 02:55 PM
HIYA EVERYONE!!!!! I know you ALL enjoy reading my Public Skate Reports!!!!!.... So TODAY I thought you might enjoy starting to read about my Off-Ice-Training. That way you ALL can see how I'm progressing...and at the same time,if you all have any more helpful advice,or even any more ideas for excerises that I can add to my Program (if indeed it would be called that in my case) for me,please feel free to post it here. As you ALL have really helped me out a lot!!!!....So here it gos with this mornings Off-Ice-Training Report....

I went into my Living Room and laided down on my back. I did 20 Leg-Lifts all at once on each Leg,with a break in between each Leg. I rested a bit,and then got down on my stomage,and did 20 Leg Lifts all at once,again with a break in between each Leg. I then rested,and did 20 Spiral Leg-Lifts (Lifting each Leg up while holding onto my Bike with one hand). I don't think I rested really on that. BUT I MUST say it's hard to tell with those if your Legs are INDEED going out straight. BTW. can anyone please give me hints on helping to make sure I'm doing those right? I don't even know if your supposed to bend you knees or not. Well anyway,after that,I did 20 Push-ups on my floor. 10 each. With a break in between. Then I did 20 Sit-ups. All at once. My legs bend when I do them btw. So I HOPE there working on me,and I'm doing them right. I then rested and did 10min. on my Bike (at least I HOPE it's 10,as I set the timer for 10. So it MUST be..if INDEED the Timer represents the min. and starting it from 10 IS 10min. I must Report that also for the FIRST time I not only pedaled non-stop...but made it to the bell of the Timer. My next Trainning is on Sun. morning. TTFN.

So....what do you all think? She'll we make this Sticky?

Skittl1321
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
So....what do you all think? She'll we make this Sticky?

Maybe you could add this to your other Sticky and it could be renamed to FSWer's Training Reports. That way you could tell us about your on ice and off ice training all in one thread.

The board gets really crowded when there are too many sticky's- it's hard to read.

Your training routine sounds great. Great job on the bike! I need to work on my flexibility so I got back to hot yoga yesterday. Hot yoga is so much harder for me than a regular class. It doesn't "feel" too hot (must be the Texan in me- I don't get heated easily) but my heart starts racing during even simple movements, so clearly the heat does affect me.

FSWer
04-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe you could add this to your other Sticky and it could be renamed to FSWer's Training Reports. That way you could tell us about your on ice and off ice training all in one thread.

The board gets really crowded when there are too many sticky's- it's hard to read.

Your training routine sounds great. Great job on the bike! I need to work on my flexibility so I got back to hot yoga yesterday. Hot yoga is so much harder for me than a regular class. It doesn't "feel" too hot (must be the Texan in me- I don't get heated easily) but my heart starts racing during even simple movements, so clearly the heat does affect me.

HEY!!!!!! GREAT IDEA JESSI!!!! Please have someone fix it for me?

FSWer
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Just wanted to let you all know. By suggestion from Jessi. That I will be connecting BOTH my On-Ice AND Off-Ice-Training Reports to this Thread. So as soon as Jessi or one of them connects my first post from a Thread I just started...you ALL will be able to follow all my Training. What do you all say to THAT!!!?

winziped
04-01-2010, 08:42 PM

is a good idea the sticky thread

FSWer
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Well my fellow Skaters!!!!! Here is my Report on todays Off-Ice-Training. First like always...I must say...it was a seccess!!!! I got down on my Living Room Floor and did 20 Leg-Lifts on each Leg (I rested between each Leg). I then got on my stomage and did 20 Leg-Lifts on each Leg (resting between each Leg). My Spiral Leg-Lifts were next (yes,resting a sec. between each Leg).I then did my Push-ups and did 20. Ten each (resting in between). Along with my Sit-ups which came next. I did 20 all the way through. I then rested and then did 10min. on my Bike....pedaling...non-stop!!!! My Program was then complete.

Say,I have a few questions to ask. As I'm new to this...and REALLY could use ALL the help I can get.

1 = Can I have as many excerises in my Program as I want?

2 = I not only rest in between DURING my excerises...but rest IN-BETWEEN excerises as well...should I?

3 = doing Spiral Leg-Lifts...should I be bending my knees...or lifting them straight out to do them right.

4 = I was just wondering if Off-Ice-Training is natual and normal for a Learn to Skate Skater to do? Is there any other Learn to Skate Skater here besides me that does it?

Next Report on Thurs.

Skittl1321
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
FSWer- I'm not an expert, so this is just my advice, it's not a professionals.

1 - Sure, you can do as many as you want, but don't over do it. If you are too tired or too sore, you are doing too much.

2 - You should rest when you feel like you need rest. Try to do your exercises in sets of 10 or so, and rest between the sets, not between each individual leg lift, for example

3 - Spirals you want straight legs. Also try to lift the leg directly behind you, not out to the side.

4 - Most LTS skaters don't do off ice training, but most are kids. It's good for adults to get exercise, which is what off ice training is.

FSWer
04-04-2010, 09:16 PM
So,even if I CAN do 20...do 10 on one leg...stop. Then do 10 more on that SAME leg. Then do the same on the other,right? I should also do the same with all my excerises? As for Spiral leg-lifts. Unlike a reg Spiral...my legs should come right straight out..not bent to do it correct..right?

FSWer
04-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Well my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report. I will tell you about each excerise as I go....So here we go...in order...

For my Leg-Lifts lying on my back = I did 20 on each Leg,(resting between each set of 10). Then rested, and went on to my next excerise. My Leg-Lifts on my stomage...

For my stomage Leg-Lifts...I did the same. 20 Leg-Lifts on each Leg. (Resting between each set of 10). I then rested and went on to my next excerise.

My Spiral Leg Lifts = For those,I again did 20 on each Leg (resting between each set of 10).I must say I tried my best to bring my Legs out straight. But for some reason,my Legs just keep coming out to the side. BTW. I hold the Bike with 1 hand when I do it,and lean forward. Is that correct? I then rested and went on to my next excerise.

For my Push-ups = I again did 20. Breaking them down to 10 each. Then rested and went to my next excerise....

For my Sit-ups = Again 10 each...then rested..and went on to my Bike.

On my Bike = 10min. pedaling. (btw. I checked the clock,and the timer IS set for 10min.). I must say though,that I ended up stopping to rest 8 times while pedaling. I even made it to the ring of the bell on my Bike.

So that completed my Off-Ice-Training for today. What do you all think?

FSWer
04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
OK FELLOW SKATERS!!!! Get ready for a....DOUBLE-DOSE REPORT!!!! As I also went Skating today!!! So it will be long!!!! But here it is!!!! First my Report on this mornings Off-Ice-Training. In order...

I laid down on my back, and did 20 Leg-Lifts...10 each on each Leg with a break in between (the phone rang while doing the first 10 on my right Leg on the 4th lift.So I took a break to answer it,and then finished the 10 Leg-Lifts I was doing). I then rested,and then went on to my stomage Leg-Lifts.10 each, with a break in between. After resting again,I went on to my Spiral Leg-Lifts.(I hold on to the Bike with 1 hand,and lift my Leg out. While leaning forward. Is that correct? I also must say too,that I'm finding it hard without looking back, to be able to tell if my Legs are going out straight or not on those btw). After resting I went on to my Push-ups. 10 each. With a break in between. After resting again,I did my Sit-ups. 10 each. I tried doing them with my hands behind my head. But,ah...LOL...it's hard to do!!!! I then rested...and did 10min. on my Bike. Resting about 5-7 times pedaling. But made it to the ding of the bell!!!!....Program completed.

On Ice
-----------

I went with a friend today. She picked me up at about quarter to three. We went down to the Rink. No problem getting there,due to having a GPS. We got there about an hr. early. As Public Skate started a 4:00, we went to Register at the Desk,(I was able to get all 3 of us in on my Skate Passes including her kid who is 5) and walked around a bit.Around 3:30, we then went to get her and her kid fitted with skates. (Come to find out that for some strange reason or other..a little kids SKATE size is the same as their SHOE size. You DON'T go next full size down on a kid. Is there anyone here that can explain this)? We then waited a bit before we went in. As the lights were not on yet in the Rink (we were in the Red Rink). We all went in and sat down.I took off my Gaurds,and we 3 got on the ice. It was a small group of Skaters today. About 6-13 Skaters. My friend has not been on skates in about 10 years!!! Yet after getting her away from the wall,she skated like she's been skating for a long time!!! The kid has been on Rollerblades,and NEVER on skates. But because the falling recovery is the same, (yes,I just found out from my friend that to get back up from falling on Rollerblades,you get up the SAME way as Skates. Which I never knew) the kid mastered it in no time. He even SPUN!!! I myself practiced MY Spinning a bit,along with some of my skating Backward,and my Edges. I even showed him how to glide in to the Boards.We all skated around until about 5:00-5:15. (Public Skate went to 5:20,but was extented until 5:30, as they were not breaking the ice yet),as the little kid wanted to go home early. We then got off the ice, the little kid brought me chips,and then we went home.Next Report for Public Skate whenever I go again. But next Off-Ice-Training Report Thurs.

FSWer
04-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!!! I did this mornings Off-Ice-Training...and have my next Report!!!...

First I will start today by saying that I have started today with keeping my Training progress in a Book. I have THAT Book in front of me as I write this...so here is my progress..according to the Book.....

Leg-Lifts on my Back = Time started...9:40am. with 20..2 sets of 10 on each Leg,with a rest in between each 10,and each Leg.Time finished...9:48am.

Rest,then went on...

Leg-Lifts on my stomage = Time started....9:52am. with 20. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg,with a rest in between each 10,and each Leg. Time finished...9:58am.

Rest,then went on...

Spiral Leg-Lifts = Time started...10:00am. with again 20 Leg-Lifts on each Leg. With a rest in between each 10 and each Leg. I must say too that I don't know if I'll ever get my Legs to go out straight. But I'm trying. I hold the Bike with 1 hand while doing it,and lean forward. My arm on the Bike is bent or bends. Am I doing it right btw.? Time finished...10:06am.

Rest,then went on...

Push-ups = Time started....10:09am., 10 each,with a rest in between. Time finished...10:13am.

Rest,then went on...

Sit-ups = Time started...10:18am.,10 each,with rest in between. Time finished...10:22am.

Rest,had Breakfast,then went on....

10min. on my Bike = Time started....10:42am.,pedaled for 10min.,with 7 rest in between. I made it to the Bell!!!! Time finished..10:57am.

Proogram completed at...10:58am.

So...what do you all think? Am I getting good...or what? Any more tips for me? I love you all!!

FSWer
04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
LOL,ok. I know I'm a little late with this Report,as I forgot to post it yesterday. So here is my Off-Ice-Training Report from yesterday.

First for my Back Leg-Lifts = Time started... 10:06am. I did 20 on each Leg. 10 each..with rest in between each 10,and each Leg. Time finished...10:14am.

I then rested and went on.

For my stomage Leg-Lifts = Time started...10:17am. Again I did 20 Leg-Lifts on each Leg,10 each,with a rest in between each Leg. Time finished...10:23am.

I then rested and went on.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts = Time started...I goofed on the time in my book. I again did 20. 10 on each Leg,resting between each Leg. Holding onto my Bike with 1 hand. I am not possitive...but I THINK I may have gotten my Left Leg to go straight out a couple of times. But I'm not so sure. Time finished...10:33am.

I rested then went on.

For my Push-ups = Time started...10:38am. I did 20, 10 each with a rest in between. Time finished...10:42am.

I rested then went on.

For my Sit ups = Time started...10:44am. I did 20,10 each,with a rest in between.

I then rested,had Breakfast...then went on.

I was then on my Bike at 11:03am. I pedaled for 10min. Resting 5 times in between. I made it to the Bell. Time finished AND Program completed at...11:15am.

Next Off-Ice-Training Report in a few days. LOL,btw. while I wrote this I surely HOPE I'm not boring you all,writing the same things in each Report. As my On-Ice Public Skate Reports can change. As there's no way to know the outcome of a Public. But I notice myself writing the same things for Off-Ice. I know all you guys love reading my Reports though. So with Off-Ice-Training...I hope I'm not boring you all. TTFN.

FSWer
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok fellow skaters...I have a question. When I do my Off-Ice-Training. If my excerizes should get interupted,and I can't do my whole Program that day,because I do it in my PJ's. What should I do? Should I cancele out everything,and start fresh ona more better day? Or should I finish my program another day?

FSWer
04-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Ok fellow skaters!!!! Here is yesterdays Off-Ice-Training Report. I know again I'm late...so here it is...

Back Leg-Lifts = Time started..9:56am = I did 20 on each Leg...10 each. Rested between each Leg. Time finished...10:08am..rested, then moved on...

Stomage Leg Lifts = Time started = 10:10am = I did 20 on each Leg....10 each. Rested between each Leg..time finished...10:22am...rested, then moved on..

Spiral Leg-Lifts = Time started = 10:25am = Again,did 20 on each Leg,10 each. Rested between each Leg. Time finished...10:30am...rested,then moved on...

Push-ups = Time started = 10:35am = Did 20, 10 each.Time finished...10:38am. Rested... Then moved on.....

Sit-ups = Time started = 10:45am = Did 20, 10 each. Time finished...10:49am. Rested...then moved on....

On my Bike = Time started = 11:00am = Pedaled for 10min.. With 6 rest during the riding. Time finished..11:13am.

Program completed at = 11:13am

Skittl1321
04-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok fellow skaters...I have a question. When I do my Off-Ice-Training. If my excerizes should get interupted,and I can't do my whole Program that day,because I do it in my PJ's. What should I do? Should I cancele out everything,and start fresh ona more better day? Or should I finish my program another day?

You do it either way. You can start your routine from the beginning each day- so that you develop the habit, or you can start it from where you left off- so that you make sure that all the exercises get done.

whichever works best for you!

FSWer
04-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Well my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report!!!!

Back Leg-Lifts = Time started...10:04am. = I did 20 Leg-Lifts on each Leg..10 each with rest on, and between each Leg. Time finished...10:14am

Rested,then went on...

Stomage Leg-Lifts = Time started...10:18am. = Again I did 20 on each Leg...10 each,with rest on, and between each Leg. Time finished...10:26am.

Rested,then went on...

Spiral Leg-Lifts = Time started...10:30am = Did 20 on each Leg..10 each with rest on,and between each Leg. I am still working on getting my Legs out straight. Can anyone please tell me if I should be leaning forward when I do my Spiral Leg-Lifts,and if it matters to how my arms are too? Thanks. Time finished...10:37am.

Rested,then went on....

For my Push-ups = Time started...10:45am = Did 20 Push-ups...10 each. Time finished...10:49am

Rested,then went on...

Sit-ups = Time started...10:54am. = Did 20 Sit-ups...10 each. Time finished...10:59am.

Rested,then went on...

I got on my Bike at 11:06am, and pedaled for 10min. LOL. I was trying to pedal all the way through,non-stop. But still had to rest. But...I only ended up resting on my Bike 3 times!!!! I think I'm getting better!!!! Made it to the bell!!!!...time finished...11:18am

Program completed at....11:18am.

Say,what do you all think so far about me and my training? Do I spend a good amount of time on Off-Ice-Training? Are there any more tips here to be offered? Thanks.

FSWer
04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Ok fellow skaters!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report.....

10:08am...Began my Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg,10 each. Rested between each Leg. Finished at 10:16am.

I rested,then went on...

10:22AM....Began my Stomach Leg Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg,10 each. Rested between each Leg. Finished at 10:29am.

I rested,then went on....

10:39am...Began Spial Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg,10 each. Rested between each Leg. I believe I actually DID get my Legs out straight this time. But I'm only 97% sure. Finished at 10:45am

10:55am = Began my Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:00am.

11:06am = Began my Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:10am

I rested,had Breakfast,then went on...

11:52am = Began my 10min. on my Bike = Pedal for 10min. Rested 6 times while pedaling. Made it to the Bell.

Program completed at...12:07am.

I go to the Rink tomorrow. Please watch for my Public Skate Report.

FSWer
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, my fellow Skaters!!!! Here I am again with todays On-Ice Public Skate Report!!...and,it is another GREAT ONE!!!! So here it goes!!!!...I got to the Rink at about 3:38pm. (Public Skate started at 4:00). My staff dropped me off.The Rink looked quiet. So I went to try the door to see if it was open. It was,so I went in. I checked with the Rink,and Public Skate was till on. So I registered at the Desk with my Passes,and then got my skates on (I was the only Skater there at the time,as the guy told me he believed it was too nice a day for people to want to come skating).I then went in to the Rink (we had the Red Rink again),and when I entered the Rink,I found I had been walking on my laces,as they came untied on 1 skate. So I walked carefully on my laces over to the Bench,and retied my Skate. LOL,so I surely HOPE no damage was done. Anyway,the Zomboni was just finishing up. So after I retied my skate,I took off my Gaurds,and got on the ice. For about 10min. Maybe a little bit more. I had the ice all to myself. How COOL is THAT?!!! But then 2-3 more skaters came in... We eventually wound up with a small crowd of 8 Skaters (me included) on the ice. Someone put the Radio on. So today,we at LEAST got to skate to the Radio. LOL. As we haven't had music to skate to,for the LONGEST time!!!! I praciced Spinning again today (say,can anyone please tell me how you find your max. speed when you spin on skates,and get yourself UP to it? I know to MAINTAIN speed,you pull your arms in. But how do you get up to the same speed on skates,as you do off skates? Also,when I spin,I spin on my Edges,and have to keep pushing my Blade for each turn. How do you spin freely? How do you start a Spin,and then KEEP Spining freely? Am I supposed to lift up on my Toe-pick to do it? Can anyone please help?) I also practiced my Edges,and even....skated around the WHOLE Rink non-stop!!!! A nice Lady also tried to pull me along the ice. But it turned out that just like me..she couldn't skate backwards. A guy tried it too. But not for too long. I then went around the Rink 1 more time,then went home.

sk8joyful
05-02-2010, 01:50 AM
How do you start a Spin,and then KEEP Spining freely?
Am I supposed to lift up on my Toe-pick to do it? Can anyone please help?)

Dana,
In February, in General Skating Chat, Polls & Discussion,
you started :) this thread: "a question about Spinning."; did you forget? - look there... ;)

FSWer
05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Well my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report......and it's a GREAT one!!! So here it goes...

9:41am = Started my Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg,10 each. Rested between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at...9:48am.

Rested,then went on....

9:52am = Started my Stomage Leg-Lifts = Again,did 20 on each Leg. 10 each. Resting between each 10,and each Leg. Finished at..9:58am.

Rested,then went on....

10:02am = Started my Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg,resting between each 10,and each Leg. Finished at...10:09am.

Rested,then went on....

10:11am = Started my Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at...10:16am.

Rested,then went on....

10:21am. = Started my Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at...10:24am.

Rested,then went on...

I was on my Bike at 10:31am = I pedaled for 10min.,and I'm proud to say to you all,that I pedaled...ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!! Made it to the BELL!!!! I also want to say hat for this training...I really worked up a sweat on my Bike. LOL.

Program completed at....10:49am.

I am also keepng track of my Off-Ice-Training in a Composition Book,and doing a few pages now.

FSWer
05-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Ok people!!!! Here is my Report on my Off-Ice-Training from today.....

10:15am. = Back Leg Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10. Rested between each 10 each Leg. Finished at 10:26am.

Rested...then went on...

10:29am = Stomach Leg Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 each. Rested between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:39am.

Rested...then went on...

10:46am = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10. Rested between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:54am.

Rested..then went on....

11:03am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:06am.

Rested..then went on...

11:11AM. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:15am.

Rested...had Breakfast...then went on...

11:39am. = Got on my Bike for 10min. = Pedaled resting 4 times. Made it to the Bell. Finished at 11:51am.

Program completed at...11:51am.

I colculated myself to be on Off-Ice-Training almost 2 hrs.!!!!!!!!

FSWer
05-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok fellow Skaters!!!! I'm going to break this down today. As you all all getting a Double-Doce (sorry,I know that's spelled wrong) today. So here I go with todays Off-Ice-Training. I go to the Rink later and will post my On-Ice-Training when I get back....So anyway for Off-Ice-Training....

9:22am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Rested between each Leg. Finished at 9:32am.

Rested...then went on...

9:36am = Stomach Leg - Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Rested between each Leg. (I must admit it's hard to tell on your stomach if your getting your Legs out straight or not. Mine could be going to the side,LOL). Finished at 9:46am.

Rested...then went on...

9:51am = Spiral Leg- Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. ( I hold onto my Bike with 1 hand while doing these. But to me,it doesn't seem like I'm ever getting my Legs out straight. Also my Legs never come back down straight. Is that a natual thing to be happening? Rested between each Leg. Finished at 10:00am.

Rested...then went on...

10:09am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 10:12am.

Rested...then went on....

10:20am.= Sit=ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 10:24am

Rested.....then went on...

10:33am. = Got on my Bike for 10min. = Pedaled with 8 rests in between. Finished at 10:48am.

Program completed at...10:48am.

I colculate myself to have been on my Program for...an hr. and 43min. BTW. does anyone know if any of the excerises I do lower Cholesterol? Or if there is any Skating or Off-Ice-Training that will? Thanks.

FSWer's On-Ice Report 5/16/10
------------------------------

Ok my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is my On-Ice Skater Report from today!!! As I just got back from the Rink at 6:00.

I got to the Rink at about 3:45pm. I got dropped off by my Staff. I went in and Registered at the Desk with my Skate Passes,and went to put on my skates and Gaurds. Public Skate was supposed to start at 4:00pm. But when I got into the the Red Rink, a Learn to Skate Class was running 10min. overtime. So I had to wait,along with some other Skaters. When they got off the ice,I told some of the Skaters from the Class that they skated well,and got on the ice.(Yes,no Zomboni was needed at the time). I wanted music so I went over with another Skater...and it turned out we both had our first lesson on how to run the Radio and CD. Player from someone at the Rink.(Gee,it IS complicated in a way with so many bottons. But I THINK I could get the hang of it,LOL). I also praticed my 2-Foot-Spin and saw a Girl from when we were in the other Rink (Blue) that I hadn't seen for a long time. I asked her about how to do a 2-Foot Spin,and she said that I was doing it,even before I asked her. When I asked her about how to gain speed,and told her I knew about bringing your arms in to INCREESE speed... She told me somethng I DIDN'T know. She asked me if I was Left or Right Handed,and when I told her (Left), she said that I really should spin torwards my Left,and that YES....the hand you write with DOES effect the direction you go and has to do with it. So I am getting a little better on my Spinning. I also asked her btw. to show me how to do a 1 Foot Spin. But she herself if I remember right was wondering how well I'd balance. I can understand that. As I can't even get mmy Foot to want to stay up when I lift it to even TRY to stand on one Foot on ice. I try lifting it for a Spiral. But I just kept putting it down. Anyway,a girl was also there giving 2 kids a lesson...and I also just had my first real experience with dodging a group of skaters (the 2nd time THEY bumped ME if I remember right). I actually, from what I could tell in myself did VERY WELL with doing it!!! I felt like a Pro. Skater!!!! I'd say I'd give myself an (A) for THAT one!!! What do you all think? I also tried going Backwards for a min. I also practiced my Edges,and went around the Rink once before getting off-ice...then went home. Watch for my next On-Off-Ice-Training Reports coming soon.

FSWer
05-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report.....

10:09am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. With rest in between each 10, and each Leg. Finished at 10:18am.

10:21am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10, and each Leg. Finished at 10:34am.

Rested....then went on...

10:41am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. With rest between each 10,and each Leg. LOL,I am still trying to get my Legs to go out straight. But my knees bend when I bring them out,and I have a hard time with bringing them down straight. Finished at 10:50am.

Rested...then went on...

11:03am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:06am.

Rested...then went on...

11:17am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:21am.

Rested,had Brekfast...then went on....

11:32am. = I was on my Bike = Pedaled for 10min. Rested 6 times. Ended up resting on the Bell. Finished at 11:46am.

Program completed at...11:46am.

I estamate an hr. and 6min. on Off-Ice-Training this moning!!!

FSWer
05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Well,my fellow Skaters!!! Here I am again,back from the Rink with today's Report. My Mom took me today,and I got to the Rink at about 3:45pm. For the 4:00 Public Skate. I Registered at the Desk with my Skate Passes,and went to put on my Skates and Gaurds.I went into the Rink,and my Mom stayed to take pics. About 9 Skaters were skating to the Radio,including a lttle 6 year old Girl who is putting on a Show with her Learn to Skate Class tomorrow. She said that it's an Ice-Dance Show and that some of the kids actually have Partners. She also told me she wants to make the Olympics someday. I myself practiced my Spinning and my Edges. BTW. I have a couple of questions. When you wrap skates up in your damp towels to take them home to wrap them back up in dry ones,can anything happen to your skates,if you leave them wraped in damp towels in a car trunk too long? Or does it not matter if you stop anywere after the Rink,so long as you rewrap in dry towels when you DO get home? Also, I've gotten the hang of gliding into the BOARDS. But...I'm sill trying to figure out and master gliding up to another SKATER without getting so close enough to knock them over (which I'm happy to Report I haven't done yet,LOL). Can anyone give me some tips on how to do that? Thanks. Anyway Public Skate ended at 5:20. So I got off the ice at 5:15...then went home.

FSWer
05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Ok people and fellow Skaters!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report.....

11:14am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg with rest between each 10,and each Leg. Finished at 11:27am.

Rested,then went on....11:35am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg with rest in between each 10,and each Leg. I've found it hard to tell if my Legs are going up straight on these. As you can't see your Legs. Finished at 11:44am.

Rested,then went on...

11:50am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 oneach Leg with rest between each 10 and each Leg. On these my Legs seem to always bend first when bringing them out. Also I can't bring my Legs down straight. Though,even though they were bent. I think I may have brought my Legs up right behind me today. But I'm not sure. BTW. how much rom do you need to do these? Finished at 11:58am.

Rested,then went on...

12:05pm. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 12:10pm.

Rested,then went on = 12:14pm. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finishd at 12:18pm.

Rested,then went on....

I was on my Bike at 12:32pm. = Pedaled for 10min. with 9 rest in between. Made it to the Bell. Finished at 12:46pm.

Estimated time spent on my Program = 1hr. and 32min.

Clarice
05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Also, I've gotten the hang of gliding into the BOARDS. But...I'm sill trying to figure out and master gliding up to another SKATER without getting so close enough to knock them over (which I'm happy to Report I haven't done yet,LOL). Can anyone give me some tips on how to do that?

Do you mean you need to know how to stop? When you're gliding, bend your knees, then turn your toes in towards each other and push your heels apart a little, so your feet make an upside-down "V". This is called a "snowplow stop", and will make you stop gliding. First, just practice gliding slowly and stopping. Then try to stop at a specific place - for instance, you could skate around the rink, glide, and try to stop on one of the red or blue lines. When you can stop exactly where you want, you would be able to glide up to another skater and stop before you ran into them.

FSWer
05-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Do you mean you need to know how to stop? When you're gliding, bend your knees, then turn your toes in towards each other and push your heels apart a little, so your feet make an upside-down "V". This is called a "snowplow stop", and will make you stop gliding. First, just practice gliding slowly and stopping. Then try to stop at a specific place - for instance, you could skate around the rink, glide, and try to stop on one of the red or blue lines. When you can stop exactly where you want, you would be able to glide up to another skater and stop before you ran into them.

Ok...how do I figure if I have enough run-off space between the Skater,and the time I stop?

Clarice
05-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Ok...how do I figure if I have enough run-off space between the Skater,and the time I stop?

Practice. That's why you practice stopping on lines - so you know how far away you need to start stopping so that you come to a complete stop on the line.

FSWer
05-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Practice. That's why you practice stopping on lines - so you know how far away you need to start stopping so that you come to a complete stop on the line.

What do you do if your Rink doesn't have lines? BTW. to do the Snowplow Stop. When I put my toes in. Should my toes turn in with my Blades completely flat? Or do I lift my ankles up first to turn my toes in?

Clarice
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
It doesn't matter if there aren't lines. You just want to practice stopping in a certain place. Another way to do it might be to glide towards the boards and stop before hitting them. Does your rink really not have lines? Most rinks do, because they need them to play hockey.

To do a snowplow stop, leave your blades flat on the ice, just the way they are when you're gliding. Bend your knees, and turn your toes toward each other. Your feet should make an upside-down V shape, toes together and heels apart. You can try it on the floor without your skates just to practice getting your feet in the right position.

FSWer
05-23-2010, 09:12 PM
It doesn't matter if there aren't lines. You just want to practice stopping in a certain place. Another way to do it might be to glide towards the boards and stop before hitting them. Does your rink really not have lines? Most rinks do, because they need them to play hockey.

To do a snowplow stop, leave your blades flat on the ice, just the way they are when you're gliding. Bend your knees, and turn your toes toward each other. Your feet should make an upside-down V shape, toes together and heels apart. You can try it on the floor without your skates just to practice getting your feet in the right position.

When we say lines...which lines do we mean? I've also tried turning my toes in,and all that I get is my Blades going together. I've needed to put preasure on my feet to turn my toes in. Is that natual? BTW. is the Showplow stop the stop the famous skaters use on TV. to glide in to the Boards? I was told to glide in you start with your Blades out and bring them in for gliding in.

Clarice
05-23-2010, 09:41 PM
When I say lines, I'm talking about the red or blue lines on the ice that hockey players use. We can use them to practice things, too, if we want. You want to be able to stop before you run into another skater, so I'm suggesting that you practice stopping on a line. If you can stop exactly when you want to, like when you get to a line, you could also stop before running into another skater.

There are other kinds of stops beside the snowplow stop. That's just the first one we learn. Skaters on TV are probably not using snowplow stops.

If you're gliding, both of your toes are pointing forward. You could glide with your feet close together or farther apart. As long as both toes point forward in the same direction, you can glide forward. To snowplow stop, your toes point towards each other, like they were going to touch. That will stop the glide.

FSWer
05-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Ok my fellow skaters!!! Time again for that Off-Ice-Training Report!!!..So here it is...

9:52am = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10. With rest betwen each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:03am.

Rest...then went on....

10:08am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10. Rested between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:17am.

Rested...then went on...

10:23am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts - Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. On these today. I found myself getting a little better with bringing my Legs out straight behind me without them at least going to the side.But I'm stil having trouble doing it without bending my knees.I was also wondering if you are surposed to bring your Legs straight down when bringing them back down to the floor. Finished at 10:34am.

Rested...then went on...

10:39am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 10:43am.

Rested...then went on...

10:53am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 10:57am.

Rested...had Breakfast...then went on...

11:14am. = On my Bike = Pedaled for 10 min. with 5 rest in between. Finished at 11:27am.

Program cmpleted at 11:27am.

Estamated time spent on Program = 2hrs

FSWer
05-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Ok skaters!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report!!!!!

8:48am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. With rest between each 10,and each Leg. Finished at 8:59am.

9:02am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg with rest between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:10am.

Rested...then went on...

9:18am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg with rest between each 10 and each Leg. I'm getting better at bring my Legs back straight. Any more tips on that? Finished at 9:26am.

Rested...then went on...

9:37am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 9:40am.

Rested...then went on...

9:45am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 9:48am.

Rested...then went on...

I was on my Bike at 10:08am. = Pedaled for 10min. with 4 rest in between. Resting on the Bell. Finished at 10:22am.

Estamated time spent on Program = 1hr.-34min.

FSWer
06-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report....

7:48am. = Back Leg- Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. With rest in between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 7:58am.

Rested...then went on...

8:06am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. With rest between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 8:14am.

Rested...then went on...

8:22am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 0n each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Rested between each 10 and each Leg. I feel I'm getting better on these. As far as getting my Legs out straight. Or at least from what I can tell. Finished at 8:30am.

Rested...made my Bed...then went on...

8:36am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 8:39am.

Rested...then went on...

8:44am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. My feet always seem to go up on these a lot. I can't keep them flat.

Rested...had Breakfast..then went on....

9:13am. = I was on my Bike. = Pedaled for 10min. with 6 rests in between. Finished at 9:28am.

Estamated time spent on Program = 1hr.48min.

FSWer
06-03-2010, 09:02 PM
When I say lines, I'm talking about the red or blue lines on the ice that hockey players use. We can use them to practice things, too, if we want. You want to be able to stop before you run into another skater, so I'm suggesting that you practice stopping on a line. If you can stop exactly when you want to, like when you get to a line, you could also stop before running into another skater.

There are other kinds of stops beside the snowplow stop. That's just the first one we learn. Skaters on TV are probably not using snowplow stops.

If you're gliding, both of your toes are pointing forward. You could glide with your feet close together or farther apart. As long as both toes point forward in the same direction, you can glide forward. To snowplow stop, your toes point towards each other, like they were going to touch. That will stop the glide.

What kind of stop do they use? BTW. what do you do to stop if you can't turn your toes in?

Clarice
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
What kind of stop do they use? BTW. what do you do to stop if you can't turn your toes in?

Other kinds of stops are the T-stop, the hockey stop, and the tango stop. These are all harder than a snowplow stop. I often use a sort of one-footed snowplow stop, where I turn the toe of one foot in but leave the other one pointing straight ahead. Instead of making an upside down "V", my feet look more like an upside down "L". If you really can't manage a stop yet, you can just keep gliding as you approach an obstacle and do a little U-turn. At least you won't crash into it. I've never run across someone who can't turn their toes in. Keep working on your snowplow stop - it's really the easiest one to learn. Make sure you bend your knees while you're doing it.

FSWer
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Other kinds of stops are the T-stop, the hockey stop, and the tango stop. These are all harder than a snowplow stop. I often use a sort of one-footed snowplow stop, where I turn the toe of one foot in but leave the other one pointing straight ahead. Instead of making an upside down "V", my feet look more like an upside down "L". If you really can't manage a stop yet, you can just keep gliding as you approach an obstacle and do a little U-turn. At least you won't crash into it. I've never run across someone who can't turn their toes in. Keep working on your snowplow stop - it's really the easiest one to learn. Make sure you bend your knees while you're doing it.

I have just been bringing my blades in together untill they touch slowly. As I was told by another skater to start with feet apart,then bring them in. As I don't have the corordiation (sorry if it's spelled wrong) to turn my toes in.

Clarice
06-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Okay. That explains why you keep gliding. As long as your toes keep pointing forward, you're going to keep moving. It doesn't matter whether your feet are far apart or close together - you'll keep gliding until you gradually slow to a stop. You can glide slowly into the boards that way, and catch the boards to stop yourself. But you asked how to glide up to another skater and not bump into them. The only way you can do that is by stopping still somehow. Can you turn when you glide? If you can do that, you might be able to learn a hockey stop - you don't have to turn your toes in to do that one.

FSWer
06-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Okay. That explains why you keep gliding. As long as your toes keep pointing forward, you're going to keep moving. It doesn't matter whether your feet are far apart or close together - you'll keep gliding until you gradually slow to a stop. You can glide slowly into the boards that way, and catch the boards to stop yourself. But you asked how to glide up to another skater and not bump into them. The only way you can do that is by stopping still somehow. Can you turn when you glide? If you can do that, you might be able to learn a hockey stop - you don't have to turn your toes in to do that one.

Can you stop by doing an Outside Edge?

Clarice
06-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Can you stop by doing an Outside Edge?

If you are gliding straight, you are not on edges, you're on the flat. If you're gliding on two feet and turning, you're using edges, but one foot will be on an outside and the other on an inside. For a snowplow stop, I told you to turn your toes toward each other - both feet would be using inside edges, and your toes would come close together but your heels would stay apart. Your feet would look like and upside down "V". This would make you stop. But you told me you don't have the coordination to do that.

To do a hockey stop, you glide forward and bend your knees. Keep your head and shoulders facing forward, and twist your hips so that your feet turn sharply to one side or the other (doesn't matter which side). This makes your blades turn sideways to the direction you are facing, and should also make you stop. If you let your head and shoulders turn also, you won't stop - you'll just turn a corner. That would still keep you from crashing into something, though. I think a hockey stop is a little harder to do than a snowplow stop, but if you can't turn your toes in, it might work for you.

Just gliding on edges won't make you stop where you want, although you will eventually come to a stop when you run out of speed.

FSWer
06-07-2010, 12:17 PM
LOL,sorry I'm late with this Report. I didn't get the chance to put this up yesterday. So here it goes....

9:55am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 set's of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:05am.

Rested...then went on...

10:09am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:13am.

Rested...then went on...

10:23am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 with rest between each 10 and each Leg. I'm working on getting better at these. Finished at 10:31am.

Rested...made my bed...then went on...

10:41AM. = Push-ups = Did 20 10, each. Finished at 10:44am.

Rested...then went on...

11:00am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:04am.

Rested...had Breakfast..then went on...

I was on my Bike at 11:30am. = Pedaled for 10min. with 6 rests in between. Finished at 11:44am.

Program completed at 11:44am.

Estamated time spent on Program = 1hr.49min.

I stil don't know when my skating dates are. But I will post that again when I go to the Rink. TTFN.

FSWer
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Ok people!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report.

10:42am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 10:51am.

Rested,then went on....

10:55am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets on 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 11:02am.

Rested,then went on...

10:07am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. I'm still working on getting my Legs out straight on these. My knees still bend when I bring my Legs out or in. Are they supposed to? Finished at 11:13am.

Rested,then went on...

11:22am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:25am.

Rested,then went on...

11:32am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 11:36am.

Rested,then went on.....

At 11:42am. I was on my Bike. I pedaled for10min. With 5 rests in between. I ended with resting on the Bell. Finished at 11:57am.

Program completed at 11:57am.

Estamated time spent on Program = 1hr.19min.

FSWer
06-13-2010, 08:37 PM

9:07am. = Back Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Rested betwen each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:16am.

Rested...then went on...

9:18am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:25am.

9:32am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:40am.

Rested...then went on...

9:46am. = Push-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 9:49am.

Rested...then went on...

9:53am. = Sit-ups = Did 20,10 each. Finished at 9:56am.

Rested..had Breakfast...then went on...

10:14am. = I was on my Bike...I pedaled for 10min.,with about 6 rests in between. I ended with resting on the Bell. Finished at 10:29am.

LOL.,I know my Off-Ice-Training Reports are always the same,and seem a lot more boring. As I'm sure my Public Skate Reports are a way lot more exciting. If anyone has any ideas on how I can inprove my Reports...just please let me know. Thanks.

FSWer
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Ok Friends!!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report....

9:09am = Back Leg-Lifts= Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:18am.

Rested..then went on...

9:22am. = Stomach Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:28am.

9:36am. = Spiral Leg-Lifts = Did 20 on each Leg. 2 sets of 10 on each Leg. Resting between each 10 and each Leg. Finished at 9:43am.

Rested...then went on...

9:50am. = Push-ups = Did 20 10 each. Finished at 9:53am.

Rested...then went on...

10:00am. = Sit-ups = Did 20 10 each. Finished at 10:3am.

Rested...then went on...

I was on my Bike at 10:21am. = Pedaled for 10min. With 5 rests. I made it to the Bell. Finished at 10:54am.

Program completed at = 10:54am.

Estamated time spent on my Program = 1hr.-45min.

Audryb
06-18-2010, 10:31 AM
LOL.,I know my Off-Ice-Training Reports are always the same,and seem a lot more boring. As I'm sure my Public Skate Reports are a way lot more exciting. If anyone has any ideas on how I can inprove my Reports...just please let me know. Thanks.

Maybe instead of listing each exercise and what time you started and finished it, you could instead tell us if the exercises are getting easier for you, if you're getting more flexible, or if anything was different about your workout on a particular day, etc.

FSWer
06-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Maybe instead of listing each exercise and what time you started and finished it, you could instead tell us if the exercises are getting easier for you, if you're getting more flexible, or if anything was different about your workout on a particular day, etc.

Can you give an ex.?

Audryb
06-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Well, for example, you could say "Today when I did my off-ice training, I had a hard time with my leg-lifts, because my legs were tired from something I did yesterday" or "I've noticed that I can stay on my bike much longer without stopping than I could when I first started."

This is what most people on here do - rather than writing everything they do every time, they post only when they have trouble with something, or when they notice a change.

FSWer
06-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Well my fellow Skaters!!!! Here I am back from the Rink again.So here is my Report....

I got to the Rink a little before 4:00. When Public Skate started. I Registered at the Desk with my Skate Passes,put my Skates and Gaurds on...and went into the Rink. When I got in,another Skater was already there and told me that he was waiting for the Zamboni to come out to smooth the ice. We both waited. But it didn't look as if it was going to come out. So we both got on the ice. One thing that really surprised me (but not to much anyway) was that (except for a Guy who came in to shoot his Hockey-puck off from the Door of the Rink...(and I don't think that that was really a hot idea) we were the ONLY ones on the ice!!!! That's right Skaters!!!!...2 people for Public Skate!!!! We had the WHOLE ice to OURSELVES!!!! Compared to last week (from what the other Skater told me,when he came) and it was a cloudy Day with about 30 Skaters on the ice. He DID put the Radio on...so we skated to the Radio...I tried a few Spins. As well as my gliding up to the Boards to stop. I did try it on the Lines a couple of times. A tip from FSWer btw. I found out today,that if you CAN'T turn your toes in. If you just turn your body a half circle while gliding up...it is enough to slow the inpact,and eventually stop you. Anyway at 5:15,as Public Skate ended at 5:20...we got off the ice,and the other skater turned the Radio off..and something just told me that since we were the only ones on the ice...we SHOULD shut the Rink....So I took the liberty of shutting and locking the Rink up like a good Skater...then I left.

FSWer
06-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!! I'm going to try what Audry suggested on this one. I also need to post in parts. As my Training was interupted this morning. So here is the first part of my Training...

Today I got my Legs up more straight up in the air then I believe I have for both my Back and Stomach Leg- Lifts. Though it really is hard to tell. I also am still working on getting my Legs out straight for my Spiral Leg-Lifts. BTW. when bringing your Legs back down to the floor on those. Should you bring your Leg down straight like when you bring it back? Or should your knees be bending when bringing them down? Part 2 tomorrow.

Ok fokes!!!! Here is Part 2...6/21/10

For my Push-ups today they are getting eise. Did 20,10 each.

For my Sit-ups today...I am working on getting my feet to stay flat.

For my Bike...what can I say but the usual...Pedaled for 10min. with 5 rests.

Audryb
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
hey, that's great that you're keeping your legs straighter on your leg lifts. One suggestion I have to be able to tell how you're doing with those is to do it in front of a mirror. When I do spiral leg lifts, I stand in front of a full length mirror so that I can tell if my leg is straight, how high it is, and make sure it stays behind me rather than going to the side. Sometimes I stand sideways to the mirror and turn my head, but I really like to do it facing the mirror and try to get my foot high enough to see it above my head.

As far as lowering you leg on those, I'm not sure if there's one single correct way to do it, but I like to keep my leg straight as I bring it down, because I think it looks nicer.

Seeing in the mirror might be harder for the leg lifts you do while lying on the floor, but I think if you have a full-length mirror you'd still be able to.

FSWer
06-23-2010, 10:22 AM
hey, that's great that you're keeping your legs straighter on your leg lifts. One suggestion I have to be able to tell how you're doing with those is to do it in front of a mirror. When I do spiral leg lifts, I stand in front of a full length mirror so that I can tell if my leg is straight, how high it is, and make sure it stays behind me rather than going to the side. Sometimes I stand sideways to the mirror and turn my head, but I really like to do it facing the mirror and try to get my foot high enough to see it above my head.

As far as lowering you leg on those, I'm not sure if there's one single correct way to do it, but I like to keep my leg straight as I bring it down, because I think it looks nicer.

Seeing in the mirror might be harder for the leg lifts you do while lying on the floor, but I think if you have a full-length mirror you'd still be able to.

What about if you don't have a mirror?

Audryb
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Well, you'd have a pretty hard time looking in a mirror if you don't have one.

If you want one though, you can get a simple full-length mirror at walmart for under $10.

FSWer
06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Ok Skaters!!!! Here is todays Report!!!!....

Back Leg-Lifts = I was able to get my Legs way up higher today.

Stomach Leg-Lifts = Worked on getting my Legs up higher and straight (though it is hard to tell,as you can't see your Legs).

Spiral Leg-Lifts = Worked on getting my Legs out straight and up (I don't own a mirror in my Living Room so it's hard to tell).

Push-Ups = Did 20,10 each. I don't know what else to say here.

Sit-Ups = Working on keeping my feet flat.

On my Bike = I pedaled for 10min.,and rested 5 times.

FSWer
06-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Ok fellow Skaters!!!!! Here is todays Report. I got to the Rink at about 3:45PM. I went in and registered at the Desk with my passes. I then went to sit down to put on my skates and my Gaurds. It took a little longer today. As I had my vest-coat on inside-out. So rather then fix it. I just left it on me in the Rink. LOL. Anyway,I then went into the Rink.Finding that I was walking in with the front of my Left Gaurd off my Blade,and the back of it still on it (does anyone know of that causes any damage at all to the Blade? Has this ever happened to anyone else here?). When I finally got in,there was once again only 1 other Skater on the ice. Though I'm happy to report that we wound up with 4 Skaters total. Double the amount we had last time. LOL,I love it that empty.It's almost like having the Rink to yourself!!It also turned out that the other 2 Skaters were a Girlfriend/Boyfriend on vacation who I thought were skating so well (in my opinion anyway),I actually believed them (at first) to be wannabe Ice-Dancers!! As they were INDEED skating holding hands,AND doing even CLOSE to the right moves too!!! It turned out when I asked the girl though,that they haven't even been skating for (I'm going to guess years). Or at least, if I remember right,from what the girl told me,she hasn't.The girl also wasn't sure how long she'd been skating. I ked them if I could skate with them,and we could make it a threesom. But the girl said that they were recording themselves on vacaion at the Rink. Though the girl recorded me,and BOTH were kind enough to even show me the video pic off their camera!!! The girl said though that she didn't know how to get the pic. off the camera to send to me. I myself practiced Spining a few times,and today I even tried again to do a Spiral. I saw a pic. of skaters going on their Edges in Synchronized Skating for one. So I'm believing THAT to be one thing I'm doing wrong. I'm happy to Report that I got my foot up higher today. Or so it felt like it. I know that when you put your arms out,it helps you to MAINTAN your balance. But I still wonder about how Skaters FIND and CATCH their balance off of 2 Legs onto 1. As when I do it. All I want to do is just put it back down. BTW. how do Skaters stay pushed off (or even push off) from a Spiral? I then went 1 more tme aroUnd the Rink...then went home. I go back again tomorrow. So please watch for my Report.

FSWer
06-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok people!!!! I will be going on the ice later. But for now...here is this mornings Off-Ice-Training Report. I just want to say that it is a SUPER ONE!!!! To make it short. For all my Leg-Lifts...Back,Stomach...AND Spiral..I have an excelent Report of getting my Legs up the highest they have ever gone and could go on all 3 of those excerises!!!!

For my Push-ups,they were a little easier today.

For my Sit-ups,I'm still working on keeping my feet flat. As whenever I sit-up,I find my feet always going up on me.

For my Bike. I actually pedaled longger today. With only 3 rest!!!!

Clarice
06-27-2010, 01:25 PM
For my Sit-ups,I'm still working on keeping my feet flat. As whenever I sit-up,I find my feet always going up on me.

Why don't you try doing crunches instead? Sit-ups where you sit all the way up use your back muscles more than your stomach muscles anyway. Crunches target the stomach muscles better. Lay on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, and try to lift your shoulders straight up. You will need to contract your stomach muscles to do that. It feels almost like you're trying to shape your body into a "U" - your back stays on the floor, and so do your feet. Your hands can either be behind your neck, or crossed over your chest. It's not a very big movement, but you should feel it in your stomach muscles.

FSWer
06-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Why don't you try doing crunches instead? Sit-ups where you sit all the way up use your back muscles more than your stomach muscles anyway. Crunches target the stomach muscles better. Lay on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, and try to lift your shoulders straight up. You will need to contract your stomach muscles to do that. It feels almost like you're trying to shape your body into a "U" - your back stays on the floor, and so do your feet. Your hands can either be behind your neck, or crossed over your chest. It's not a very big movement, but you should feel it in your stomach muscles.

Can you explain more about the diference? Thanks.

Clarice
06-27-2010, 02:37 PM
In a traditional sit up, you try to come all the way up straight into a sitting position. In a crunch, you just raise your head and shoulders off the floor a few inches. You don't sit all the way up, and your back does not come up off the floor. Can you look at Wikipedia? They have articles on both sit ups and crunches, with pictures of people doing them.

FSWer
06-27-2010, 08:36 PM
In a traditional sit up, you try to come all the way up straight into a sitting position. In a crunch, you just raise your head and shoulders off the floor a few inches. You don't sit all the way up, and your back does not come up off the floor. Can you look at Wikipedia? They have articles on both sit ups and crunches, with pictures of people doing them.

So,your just kind of just lifting your head,right? BTW. here is my On-Ice Public Skate Training Report from today.....

I got to the Rink a little before 4:00. I went in and Registered at the Desk with my Skate passes,and went to sit down to put on my Skates and Gaurds. (I'm still having trouble figuring out if the Blade is in the whole of the Gaurd. Anyone have any tips on this for me?) I walked into the Rink,and again we had double the amount of Skaters from last time. We had 4 yesterday...today we had 8. LOL. One of which was a girl-wannabe competitor, from when we were in the Blue Rink, that I haven't seen in a long time....Name,Christine. She was skating, and came over to the CD,Radio Combo. were I was at the time,and it turns out that NON of the Skaters in the Rink could make it work. So we haven't had real CD.music/etc. in the longgest time. A skater was also doing a (and I'm believing the Broken-leg-Spin),were you sit on the ice with 1 Leg out and spin. I asked her if she'd show me how to do that. But she said you can get hurt if you really don't know how to do it. I practiced my Spinning,and even got a "Very Good" from Christine. I also took a little time to hold onto the wall and pratice lifting my Leg up in a Spiral. Actually the overhead one. Which I found I couldn't really flex my Legs enough to do. I went around the Rink one more time. Then went home.

Clarice
06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
So,your just kind of just lifting your head,right?

Yes, kind of. You lift your head and shoulders. In a sit-up, only your rear end stays on the floor as you sit all the way up. In a crunch, your back stays on the floor, too. You know how if you lay flat on the floor, there's that little space between the small of your back and the floor? Press your back into the floor so that space goes away as you lift your head and shoulders up towards the ceiling. If you can search on "sit-ups" and "crunches" to find the Wikipedia articles, it will help because you can look at the pictures.

FSWer
07-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok fokes!!!! Here is todays Report for my Off-Ice-Training....

For both my Back AND Stomach Leg-Lifts I got my Legs all the way up today.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts. I am proud to say that I finally got my Legs up in more of a real Spiral today!!!

My Push-ups were a little easier today.

For my Sit-ups....I tried what Clarice suggested,and tried some Crunches. I am presuming I did them right. But I'm not so sure.

On my Bike I pedaled with 5 rests in between. I was resting on the Bell.

FSWer
07-05-2010, 08:52 PM
LOL,sorry I'm late with this Report fellow skaters. As I was outsite watching fireworks,and at the Pool. and didn't get chance to post it yesterday. So here it is...

For both my Back and Stomach Leg-Lifts,I got my Legs up all the way.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts,I am proud to say again,that I got my Legs up in an actual Spiral.

My Push-Ups were a little hard. But are getting easier.

For my Sit-Ups,I did both Sit AND Scrunch-ups. I ended up coughing while doing both. So I hope the Scrunchs are ok for me and that I'm doing them right.

On my Bike,I pedal for 10min. with 6 rests.Resting on the Bell.

FSWer
07-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok friends!!!! Hee is todays Off-Ice-Training Report...

On my Back Leg-Lifts,it's becoming easier to get my Legs up all the way.

My Stomach Leg-Lifts became a little easier. I'm working on getting my Right Leg up easier. As my Left is easier to do then my Right. BTW. can anyone please tell me if I should be doing these with my head up,or flat on the ground?

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts, I can now get my Legs up in a straight Leg Spiral.

My Push-Ups got easier today.

For my Sit-Ups,I did 10 Sit-Ups,and 10 Scrunch-Ups today.

On my Bike. I pedaled for 10min. with 5 rests.

icestalker
07-11-2010, 11:52 AM
For your off-ice I would suggest a bit of variety, to help target different muscles.

Try a variation on pull-ups for core strength. If your arms are strong enough to hold you hanging from a bar, then bend your knees and lift your legs while dangling in the air for core strength. Later, keeping your legs straight will offer more of a challenge. You can really feel the core crunch when you do this..
Squats, squat jumps, one-legged squats, and lunges (not the kind you do on-ice), are all good for leg strength too. Jump-roping or jogging are good alternatives to biking. Swimming is great for core strength, and if you practice resistance training and off-ice jumping in the pool, the water becomes a great strength tool.

Layback and back bend positions improves back flexibility and core/back strength. You can work on general flexibility in your legs and back just by doing a few calf, hamstring, quad, lower back and upper back stretches everyday.

FSWer
07-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Ok fellow Skaters!!!! Here is my Off-Ice-Training Report for today.

On my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs straight up today.

My Stomach Leg-Lifts became a little easier today.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts I tried something diffent today. As Skaters I saw at the Nutmeg Games gave me this idea. I held onto the counter wall in my kitchen and pretended it was the side of the Rink and got my Legs straight up today in a real Spiral. If that is concidered btw. were one would be. LOL.

My Push-Ups were still a little easier today.

For my Sit-Ups I did both Sit and Scrunch-Ups.

On my Bike I pedaled 10min. resting only 4 times.

FSWer
07-11-2010, 12:11 PM
For your off-ice I would suggest a bit of variety, to help target different muscles.

Try a variation on pull-ups for core strength. If your arms are strong enough to hold you hanging from a bar, then bend your knees and lift your legs while dangling in the air for core strength. Later, keeping your legs straight will offer more of a challenge. You can really feel the core crunch when you do this..
Squats, squat jumps, one-legged squats, and lunges (not the kind you do on-ice), are all good for leg strength too. Jump-roping or jogging are good alternatives to biking. Swimming is great for core strength, and if you practice resistance training and off-ice jumping in the pool, the water becomes a great strength tool.

Layback and back bend positions improves back flexibility and core/back strength. You can work on general flexibility in your legs and back just by doing a few calf, hamstring, quad, lower back and upper back stretches everyday.

Are you suggesting things I can ADD to or CHANGE? What do you do if you don't have a Bar?

icestalker
07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Are you suggesting things I can ADD to or CHANGE? What do you do if you don't have a Bar?

Add to, leg lifts and your other exercises are a good base. Though on some days you can do different exercises than on other days, so you aren't always doing the same thing every time you work out.

I sometimes use the corner of the kitchen, by positioning myself in the corner with my butt facing it, putting my palms on the counter on either side of me and lifting up. It makes my palms a little sore though. Tree branches work nicely too, if you have gloves.

FSWer
07-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Add to, leg lifts and your other exercises are a good base. Though on some days you can do different exercises than on other days, so you aren't always doing the same thing every time you work out.

I sometimes use the corner of the kitchen, by positioning myself in the corner with my butt facing it, putting my palms on the counter on either side of me and lifting up. It makes my palms a little sore though. Tree branches work nicely too, if you have gloves.

LOL,doesn't sound like much room to pull up. Or maybe I'm thinking of chin-ups. What should my body be looking like? Should I be facing the counter? Or should my BACK be facing it?

icestalker
07-14-2010, 10:00 AM
LOL,doesn't sound like much room to pull up. Or maybe I'm thinking of chin-ups. What should my body be looking like?

Just standing in the corner with your hands on the counter, your elbows should be slightly bent (if you're no taller than me, and your counter is around the same height). Straighten them to lift yourself in the air. Think of how you would sit on the counter, you would put your hands either to the side or slightly behind you, then use them to lift your butt up onto the counter. It's the same motion, except you don't sit.

Hard to describe, lol.

FSWer
07-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Just standing in the corner with your hands on the counter, your elbows should be slightly bent (if you're no taller than me, and your counter is around the same height). Straighten them to lift yourself in the air. Think of how you would sit on the counter, you would put your hands either to the side or slightly behind you, then use them to lift your butt up onto the counter. It's the same motion, except you don't sit.

Hard to describe, lol.

LOL,you bet. As I can't even begin to imagtion what I am supposed to do. I was standing aganst the side of my counter with my back to it,and bent down,and pulled myself up with my hands. I don't know if that's what you mean. I also would like some tips on how my Off-Ice-Training Logbook should look. As I'm not sure how I can even add any more excerises. Here is what I use...I am using a Composition Book (one of those you might find in a school). At this point my format looks like this...

On the top of the page = Day/Date

Under that I have 6 collums in order = Date,excerises,Progress,started at,ended at,and Program completed.

My excerises are listed from the top in order = Back Leg-Lifts,Stomach Leg-Lifts,Spiral Leg-Lifts,Push-Ups,Sit/scrunch-Ups,and 10min. on my Bike. With 4 spaces in between all 3 kinds of my Leg-Lifts. With the 5th space for the next excerise. Between Push-Ups I have 2 spaces with the 3 for Sit/Scrunch-Ups. Finally I have 1 space after that,with Bike-10min. the last excerise. At this point I'm at the end of my page. Does anyone have any ideas? BTW. are there any excerises for skaters to do to straighten and help their feet? Thanks.

FSWer
07-16-2010, 01:16 PM

For my Back Leg-Lifts. It became easier to point my Legs straight up.

On my Stomach Leg-Lifts my right Leg became a little easier to lift today.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts. I worked on trying to get my Legs to point straight up. (LOL,I don't know if this is even possible to do when holding onto a counter).

My Push-Ups were easy again today.

I also did both Sit and Scrunch-Ups today. 10 each. I am struggling on the Scrunch-Ups. So I surely hope I'm doing them right.

On my Bike I pedaled 10min. with6 rests.

FSWer
07-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Ok fellow Skaters!!!! Here is my Off-Ice-Training Report for today...

On my Back Leg-Lifts. I got my Legs to point straight up today.

My Stomach Leg-Lifts,it's always hard to tell. But I'm beleiving to have at least gotten my Legs straight up.

On my Spiral Leg-Lifts. I'm working on getting my Legs up higher.

My Push-Ups were still easier.

For Sit-Ups I did both Sit and Scrunch-Ups. I'm wondering if I'm doing the Scrunch right. As I'm getting tired and straining myself doing them.

On my Bike I pedaled for 10min. with 5 rests. Resting on the Bell.

On-Ice Report;

I got to the Rink at about 3:30,quarter to 4:00. I went to the Desk and registered with my Skate Passes. I went then to put on my Skates and Gaurds. I then went inthe Pro-Shop to price some more laces for my Skates ($5.00). The guy said he did not have black laces for Figure Skates. But it turns out he had a dark color. Which I am going to go back to get. He also said that the ones he had (if I remember right) were waxed. Can anyone please tell me if that is something I need to be watching? Or does it not matter? Freestyle was also going on in the Blue Rink. So I watched that for a little bit. Then went in to get ready to hit the ice. I also bought a CD. with me to try my hand at getting music to skate to. But apperently I (and no other Skater there today) could get the Player to work. Does anyone know how they could have gotten music in the Rink for competition last week? BTW. we wound up with about 16 Skaters on the ice including me today. A little girl feel and I went over to see if she was ok. She was. I tried my hand at Jumping today. But did get too high. I then got off the ice at close to 20 after 5:00 and went home.

FSWer
07-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok fellow Skaters!!!! I had a power-outage here until 9:45pm. today. So couldn't post this until now. But here it is...

For my Back Leg-Lifts, I got my Legs to point straight up again.

My Stomach Leg-Lifts were easy again today.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts I worked on getting my Legs up higher.

For my Sit-Ups I worked on keeping my feet flat.

On my Bike I pedaled with 4 rests in between.

FSWer
07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok fellow Skaters!!! Here is todays Off-Ice-Training Report....

On my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs to point up straight again.

My Stomach Leg-Lifts were a little tight,but easy.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts I'm still working on my Spiral.

My Push-Ups were easy.

I did both Sit and Scrunch-Ups again. I must admit I don't even know it I'm doing my Scrunches right.

On my Bike I pedaled with 5 rests.

BTW. before I add my Pull-Ups. Can anyone please give me more of an idea on how I need to look when holding onto my counter? My counter comes up to my Stomach on the side of it. Thanks.

FSWer
07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Yep, that's perfect.

Have you been able to finds any solutions to your problem so you can get to skate again?

Say,btw. is it ok to bring my skates home in damp towels and THEN switch to the dry ones that I let my skates dry on? That's what I do.

phoenix
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Say,btw. is it ok to bring my skates home in damp towels and THEN switch to the dry ones that I let my skates dry on? That's what I do.

Yes, that's fine, as long as they don't sit in the damp towels for very long. So if you switch them to the dry ones as soon as you get home, that's fine. You'd know if it isn't working, because you'd see spots of rust on the blades. As long as there's no rust, you're fine.

FSWer
07-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes, that's fine, as long as they don't sit in the damp towels for very long. So if you switch them to the dry ones as soon as you get home, that's fine. You'd know if it isn't working, because you'd see spots of rust on the blades. As long as there's no rust, you're fine.

Were on the Blades are we talking,and what would they look like? As I've seen one place on one of my Blades (just down by and on one toe-pick were there is something that I'm thinking might be rust. But I don't know for curtan if it is or were it's from. BTW. is there anything skaters can buy to get rid of it themselfs? Or if a Proshop does it do you have to tell them,or should it come off auto. in sharppening? Also the guy a the shop told me he didn't have laces for Figure skates,just for Hockey. But said they still work. He also mentioned something about one pair being waxed (I'm not sure if it was my pair or the one he showed me). Does anyone know what he ment and does it matter? Thanks.

FSWer
07-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is todays Report!!!

On my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs to point straight up again.

For my Stomach Leg-Lifts I worked on getting my Legs straight.

On my Spiral Leg Lifts I kept my Legs straight and even leaned more forward.

On my Bike I rested 6 times.

I am still trying to figure out how I should be doing Pull-Ups.

FSWer
08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!! Here it is!!!!...

On my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs pointing up straight and even higher today.

On my Stomach Leg-Lifts I worked on getting my Legs up higher. Can anyone tell me btw. if I should be lying flat or having my head up when I do these?

With my Spiral Leg-Lifts I worked on leaning forward more. I've also been wondering about if it's possible to get your Leg up over your head on this. Does anyone know if it's possible to do if you become flexable enough? Just wondering.

My Push-Ups were easy again.

I also did both Sit and Scrunch-Ups today.

On my Bike I pedaled with 5 rests.

FSWer
08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok fokes!!!! Here is my report from todays Off-Ice Training....

On my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs up the highest I could get them.

My Stomach Leg-Lifts were a little tight today.

For my Spiral Leg-Lifts I'm working on making my Spiral better.

On my Bike I pedaled with 5 rests in between.

Sessy
08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
FSW, this post is about some exercises I like to do. If you want, you could try to do them as well, but you don't have to or anything.

First, the inside of the arms. You could use 2 large bottles of coke or two packs of milk like weights to exercise them, or do pull-ups. It doesn't need to be as many as the push-ups, just a little bit to balance the muscle on the outside of your arm that you're exercising. Weights training works like this:
http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/cms/11625/biceps_dum-04.png
and it's important to keep your back straight, up against the back of a straight-backed chair for instance (not a recliner!), or against a wall. If you feel your arms muscles being sore the next day, either use lighter weights or do less repetitions of the exercise.

Another exercise I like to do would be something for the back. You could for instance start by doing this:
http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/images/cobra-group.jpg
Then point your feet up in the air like the lady in white on a blue background, lowest row, second from left:
http://www.yogalifestyle.com/images/yogaPaperProducts/CLYJ2008YogaJournalBack.jpg
You don't have to touch your feet to your head at all (it's impossible for most grown-ups to do anyway!), just point your feet in the air and then grab your feet and try to really hollow your back all over and do this:
http://www.michaelsvoboda.com/uploaded_images/Garden3-784239.jpg
Make your movements smooth, never very sudden, and keep each of the positions for about five seconds or so and repeat the whole exercise only once or twice. Don't pull to the point where you feel pain in any sort of part of your body, it should all just give a pleasurable feeling of stretching, like in the morning when you stretch out when you just wake up? If you feel your back hurt the next day after this exercise, don't do it. The goal isn't to get as good as these yoga instructors on the photos, it's just to sort of stretch a little bit and give your back muscles a little extra tone.
I especially like to do this one after I"ve been sitting behind a computer hunched forward for a long time.

Something else you could do is a little rope-jumping, provided you don't have any problems with your feet, legs or knees (like pain, swelling, etc) and provided the neighbors downstairs don't start complaining about sounds like elephants jumping on their ceiling! Also, mind not to catch a lamp shade with the rope or something. Just the same kind of rope jumping you did as a kid, with both feet on the ground is fine. You'll need a bigger rope than when you were a kid though, you grew after all! Again, you don't have to wear yourself out - but you could do it as a warming-up before your exercise routine (or as a cooling-down after if you take it easy). Boxers and figure skaters like this exercise because it improves their stamina :)

Like I said, they're just exercises that I personally like. You don't have to do them if you don't like them, and don't do them if they make you hurt!!!

FSWer
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Skate laces come in these standard lengths in inches: 63, 72, 90, 100, 108, 112, and 120. You'd have to take one of yours off and measure it to see what length you have (it might not be exact, because they do stretch a little). I don't know what lengths shoelaces come in, so I don't know whether you can get them long enough at a place like Wal-Mart. But the pro shop at the rink should stock laces in different lengths and ought to be able to help you. They would also be able to show you if there's a way to lace your skates so the laces that came with them will work.

Say,the guy I spoke with just resently about anothe set of laces for my bag. So I could have 2 pairs in my Skatebag said he didn't have the color I need in Figure Skate Laces. Only Hockey Laces. Which he DID have the lanth (sorry if that's wrong) I needed in. He also mentioned something about them having wax. Does anyone know anything about that and if I need to be getting wax or not? Thanks.

FSWer
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
So,how can I tell if I'm doing an Outside or Inside Edge? BTW. YEAH!!!!! It is even COOLER that Newington was PICKED by them to do their work. If they had not been in the Red Rink already after I got off the ice. I could have gotten an autograth,and it finally would have happened. That I at least met Retired skaters.

Say,btw. Do we have a Nationals competitive Record for those two? By year. Both Pairs (and Freestyle,if they did it). I've been trying to find out something. So if we do. Could someone please post the link?

blue111moon
08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
You don't need two pairs of spare laces in your skatebag. You have one pair in your skates, and then you need one set in your skatebag in case one of the laces in your skates breaks. Then when you use one of the two spare laces, you can hunt out another pair.

I've found that leaving spare laces in my bag for too long makes them grubby and worn-out looking, even when I haven't used them.

FSWer
08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
You don't need two pairs of spare laces in your skatebag. You have one pair in your skates, and then you need one set in your skatebag in case one of the laces in your skates breaks. Then when you use one of the two spare laces, you can hunt out another pair.

I've found that leaving spare laces in my bag for too long makes them grubby and worn-out looking, even when I haven't used them.

Could you explain that last part? BTW. each pack of Laces comes in a set of 2,right?

FSWer
08-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!!! Here is my Report from today.....

On my Back Leg Lifts,I got my Legs up the highest I could get them.

For my Stomach Leg-Lifts,I worked on getting my Legs up higher.

On my Spiral Leg-Lifts,I got myself to lean a litle more forward. A question on these. Is it the Leg closest to the counter (like I have been doing) that I lift? Or should it be the oppisite Leg? The one farther from the counter/ I'm asking this as I'm finding it very hard to lift my Leg up over near my head. Or to even try and get the bend. Is doing it on a counter not ment for that? Or am I just not doing it right or used to it? Thanks.

For Sit-Ups I worked on keeping my feet flat.

On my Bike I pedal for 10min. with 6 rests.

Sessy
08-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Could you explain that last part? BTW. each pack of Laces comes in a set of 2,right?

Yes but that's not two pair of laces, that's just one pair.

FWIW I don't bring extra laces. Don't even have them. Never broke one. Only reason I got new laces was cuz I wasn't happy with the quality of those in the boot (plus one of them was shorter than the other after I'd skated over it and cut it short)

FSWer
08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes but that's not two pair of laces, that's just one pair.

FWIW I don't bring extra laces. Don't even have them. Never broke one. Only reason I got new laces was cuz I wasn't happy with the quality of those in the boot (plus one of them was shorter than the other after I'd skated over it and cut it short)

Ok. So I should only be keeping one set of extra laces in my skatebag if I want an extra. pair? Also,should I be buying extra. laces to at least store away to PUT IN my skatebag when the time DOES come? For ex. I own a safe. So should should I be storing Laces there. So I don't have to worry about hunting some down? Or would that be a no-no? I ask this because if you saw were I live you'd see how hard it is to find or at least GET to a place that sells them. BTW. when I DO look for Laces I only need to worry about how long they are color,and if they fit through the holes,right? It doesn't matter if the package says Figure or Hockey Skates. Laces for Skates as long as they fit are Laces for Skates,right? Also how would you all recamend I remember or show a Skateshop what size I use? I'd need the lst pair to show the guy so he knows what I need,right?

Sessy
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
FSW, why are you worried about laces? Have you ever broken one? Are your current laces all frayed in the middle, looking to break?

Because of the answers are no, having 2 laces (1 pair of them, so one package) should be more than enough for your bag, you're probably going to break down your skates before you break down your laces. If you already ordered more than one pair, keep the rest at home - do I remember correctly that you bought 2 extra pairs (4 laces) a while ago? 3 packages of laces (1 originally in the skates, 2 extra) so six laces - that would last almost everyone (Except for Tonya Harding :lol: ) as long as their skates would last.

If you only have 1 back-up pair of laces (so 2 laces), well then it's still extremely improbable that you'd break more than 1 lace at a time. So even if you break a lace you can immediately replace your laces in both skates with the ones from the back-up pack BUT keep the old and intact lace in your bag from then on, and meanwhile order more laces off the internet immediately. That way, you'll still have 1 back-up lace (the old one that didn't break) in your bag until the new package of laces comes in, and even should you then break one of your new laces (extremely improbable), you'd still have another lace in your bag to replace it with?

Or can't you order anything off the internet either?

I *think* there are some difference between hockey and figure skating laces, apart from how wide they are also something about a coating I think. I'll defer this question to others skaters here.

sk8joyful
08-10-2010, 02:36 AM
some exercises I like to do.

for the back. You could for instance start by doing this:
http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/images/cobra-group.jpg
Then point your feet up in the air like the lady in white on a blue background, lowest row, second from left:
http://www.yogalifestyle.com/images/yogaPaperProducts/CLYJ2008YogaJournalBack.jpg
You don't have to touch your feet to your head at all
(it's impossible for most grown-ups to do anyway!), just point your feet in the air and then grab your feet and try to really hollow your back all over.

Make your movements smooth, never very sudden, and keep each of the positions for about five seconds or so and repeat the whole exercise only once or twice. Don't pull to the point where you feel pain in any sort of part of your body, it should all just give a pleasurable feeling of stretching, like in the morning when you stretch out when you just wake up?

The goal isn't to get as good as these yoga instructors on the photos,
it's just to sort of stretch a little bit and give your back muscles a little extra tone.
I especially like to do this one after I"ve been sitting behind a computer hunched forward for a long time.

Something else you could do is a little rope-jumping,
you did as a kid, with both feet on the ground is fine.
As a warming-up before your exercise routine
(or as a cooling-down after if you take it easy). Boxers and figure skaters like this exercise because it improves their stamina :)

Thanks! for sharing these pictures, I can do about half of fairly well,
and of course I keep trying to get my leg higher
(mostly off-ice yet), because so help me God, I wanna have a Bielmann ;), sooner than later.

FSWer
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!!!! Here is todays Report...

On my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs up the highest I could get.

For my Stomach Leg-Lifts I worked on getting both my Legs all the way up.

With my Spiral Leg-Lifts I worked on leaning more forward.

My Push-Ups were easy but a little hard.

With my Sit-Ups I worked on keeping my feet flat.

On my Bike I pedaled with 6 rests. Resting on the Bell.

A question...should Off-Ice Training be done at the same time of day all the time? For ex. If I do it in the morning like I do. Can I do it at night every so once in a while if needed?

BTW. Fellow Skaters...I've been off-Ice so far during the month of Aug. due to schedule complications. I should be back on the ice in Sept...hopefully. TTFN.

FSWer
08-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok fokes!!!! Here is my Off-Ice-Training Report from today.....

For my Back Leg-Lifts I got my Legs all the way up today.

For my Stomach Leg-Lifts I got my Legs up higher today.

On my Spiral Leg-Lifts I am getting better with my Spiral.

My Push-Ups were easy again.

On my Sit-Ups I kept my feet flat more. Or so it seems from what I saw.

On my Bike I pedaled with 7 rests.

FSWer
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Ok my fellow Skaters!!! Sorry to be real late here. As I wasn't able to make it for my last training. But here they are...

8/22/10
---------

For both my Back and Stomach Leg-Lifts, I was able to strech my Legs to the Limit.

On my Spiral Leg-Lifts,I got my Legs out straight,and leaned more forward.

My Push-Ups were easy today.

For my Sit-Ups I worked on keeping my feet flat and touched my toes.

On my Bike I pedaled for 10min. with 7 rests in between.

8/26/10
---------

For both my Back and Stomach Leg-Lifts I got my Legs up all the way.

On my Spiral Leg-Lifts I got my Legs out straight.

On my Sit-Ups,I kept my feet more flat.

On my Bike I pedaled for 10min. with 5 rests. Resting on the Bell.

I'm not sure when I return to the Rink. But I'll keep you all posted. TTFN.