View Full Version : Passing USFSA LTS Freestyle levels

Skittl1321
10-10-2007, 01:24 PM
To pass the LTS (USFSA) levels, our rink requires you demonstrate the skill in a checklist style. They do this for Basic Skills, and for Freestyle levels.

Yesterday my coach was saying something about how lenient our rink is and that freestyle levels have to be passed with a program- meaning none of us have technically passed our freestyle levels.

My coach mainly does ISI, so I'm wondering if this statement is really true of USFSA, or if it is an ISI freestyle thing?

I have had the coach's manual in the past, but couldn't find it last night- however, I don't remember seeing this. The last freestyle level requires an axel walk through, and I don't understand how you could do a walk through in a program, so it seems to further invalidate this statement.

Does anyone know if USFSA LTS Freestyle requires a program?

phoenix
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know if USFSA LTS Freestyle requires a program?

Not that I've ever heard of.

Isk8NYC
10-10-2007, 01:37 PM
The USFSA Basic Skills program calls it "Freeskate" and there are no programs required for tests at that level.

The ISI tests are called "Freestyle" and yes, a program is required for each test. If you're taking 2 or more at the same time, the lower levels can be bare-bones demonstrations without music, but you get a few points off on the presentation marks.

Maybe that's the confusion?

Skittl1321
10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I suspected it was an ISI thing that he was assuming was the same of USFSA.

And thanks for the correction that the levels are called "Freeskate", that is my mistake with terminology.

Isk8NYC
10-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I suspected it was an ISI thing that he was assuming was the same of USFSA.

And thanks for the correction that the levels are called "Freeskate", that is my mistake with terminology.
No prob, glad to help.

I wasn't correcting you; everyone uses the term "Freestyle," myself included!
"Freeskate" only becomes important when you need to look something up in the manual, which I did. :wink:

FWIW, the program requirement was ignored in most of the ISI group lesson programs I've taught for in the past.
It's too time-consuming for a group lesson program -- the parents want their kids skating and learning, not watching someone else test. The schools just do the element tests in order to determine the student's next group lesson level.

However If a student wanted to REGISTER the ISI FS test, then they'd have to take private lessons and do the two-part element and program tests.