View Full Version : WTB: USFSA Basic Skills Instructor's Manual, or source

Query
10-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I have an old (1998) copy of the USFSA Basic Skill's Coach's Manual. Based on

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/BS-compmanual.pdf

and

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2006-07%20fact%20sheet.pdf

it's now called the USFSA Basic Skills Instructor's Manual.

Does anyone know where to get it? I've been trying hard for most of a week.

Alternately, does anyone want to sell last year's?

For those who don't know, this is pretty much the only place USFSA describes how it wants basic skating moves done through the level of many of the single jumps, and gives info about body position and style, etc. This is therefore the book most USFSA skaters would probably want most.

(Most USFSA members instead know about and buy the USFSA rulebook. Unless it has changed over the past few years, it is mostly stuff about who is eligible to test, compete, coach and judge, and how USFSA officials should behave.)

(There is also a Basic Skills Rulebook for students, but it lacks the descriptions.)

(The ISI Skater's and Coach's manual has some very descriptive info, but is very incomplete, frequently leaving out steps, and it often uses an ambiguous left/right technique e.g. they say "that foot" when they just described the first part of a move involving two feet. The USFSA manual might help clarify it. Besides, ISI and USFSA have seperate standards.)

It is a bit hard to find. The USFSA online store, which is actually run by someone else, doesn't know it exists. They finally told me to call USFSA at 719-635-5200. They directed me to "Lindsey" at extension 419, in the order department for stuff that isn't handled by the online store, but who isn't currently in. Besides, my USFSA membership has lapsed (shame on me), and USFSA only accepts orders from members. That takes a month through the local club.

I've tried the biggest online skating retailer, and I tried the two biggest web search engines, to no avail.

So does anyone know an alternate source, or want to sell their copy of last year's manual?

Skittl1321
10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I know the manual you are talking about, and the only way I know how to get it is through a club/LTS program. I've never seen a place online where members can order it. I recieve one each year through my skating director.

I would say your best course of action is to ask the LTS program to order one for you.

It is an EXTREMELY helpful book- and not at all like the competition manual or rulebook. However, it's not anything like what you linked to- or was that just your sources for the name change? It's essentially the student sticker book- except each move has a description of what is required to be "passable" at that level.

Good luck finding one.

(I wish I knew where mine was...)

Mel On Ice
10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
I still have my 98 and 99 LTS booklets, I even have some of the sticker pages left! I think in order to get the most up to date books, your club needs to order them for their LTS program. Check the order forms on the USFSA site, I think you can get them about 50 a pack.

Isk8NYC
10-10-2007, 12:29 PM
The books that contain the stickers are the STUDENTS' Record Books. They simply list each test level's maneuvers and have a check spot along with a place for the instructor to sign.

The USFSA Basic Skills Instructors Manuals are provided to registered Basic Skills programs, ie. skating schools. They're intended to give instructors a clear and consistent test standard to follow when teaching Basic Skills. I've never seen it in a PDF format.

It's a great book to have because the Instructors Manual gives the DETAILS on how a move has to be performed to meet passing standard. It's very similar to the ISI's Skater's and Coaches' book.

ETA: The USFSA Rulebook doesn't cover the Basic Skills level tests or elements and the Basic Skills Instructors Manual doesn't cover the standard or adult tests above Basic Skills.

I believe that the most recent book is dated 2006, which I was given (as an instructor) by our Skating Director.

I guess you could ask at your rink, but it's really up to them if you're not an instructor on staff.

Mel On Ice
10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
a ha! I could use one of those too.

Isk8NYC
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
a ha! I could use one of those too.
It would be nice if a few of my fellow instructors would use the books ... :twisted:
(That's the skating director's job: to set and enforce the standards.)

Skittl1321
10-10-2007, 12:48 PM
It would be nice if a few of my fellow instructors would use the books ... :twisted:

Ain't that the truth!

Clarice
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
This year, our LTS director gave us something called Lesson Plans for each of the Basic Skills levels. I assumed this was the newest version of the instructor's manual, but perhaps it is a separate thing. In any case, I'm finding it very helpful - even more so than the last instructor's manual I had. Some changes - glides are now uniformly defined as needing to be held a certain number of counts, rather than the skater's height, and the explicit direction NOT to start backward skating by pushing away from the wall. There are also very good directions on how to teach back wiggles, so the kids are less likely to get stuck in place. Like has already been said, I think the only way to get it is through the LTS program.

Skittl1321
10-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I think the lesson plans are seperate based on that .pdf file linked in the OP. They sound really useful.

There are also very good directions on how to teach back wiggles

You know- I've helped with snowplow/basic 1 lessons since January- and various "shake your bottom" has worked for all the kids, until yesterday. I did a parent/tot class (OMG, what an experience) and the girl managed to wiggle forward- and at an okay speed for her ability level. I really had no idea how she was doing that.

Clarice
10-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the "wag your tail" thing works well for a lot of kids, but too many just wiggle in place. Now they suggest that you have them turn their toes in and "penguin walk" backwards, shifting their weight from foot to foot. As they get more comfortable, that will translate into back wiggles, just like marching forward eventually becomes forward skating.

ETA: I think she might have been wiggling forward if her weight was on the wrong part of the blade. It needs to be more forward in order to go backwards.

dbny
10-10-2007, 10:52 PM
The USFSA Basic Skills Instructors Manuals are provided to registered Basic Skills programs, ie. skating schools.

More specifically, registered Basic Skills programs receive one instructor's manual for each instructor they register with the program. It costs $7.50 to register either a student or an instructor.

the explicit direction NOT to start backward skating by pushing away from the wall.

Wow, I think that's a mistake, at least taken as an absolute. I've found pushing off the wall to be the best way to get skaters onto the correct part of the blade to wiggle backwards. It doesn't work for everyone, but then you try something else.

You know- I've helped with snowplow/basic 1 lessons since January- and various "shake your bottom" has worked for all the kids, until yesterday. I did a parent/tot class (OMG, what an experience) and the girl managed to wiggle forward- and at an okay speed for her ability level. I really had no idea how she was doing that.

I see that a lot. It comes from having the weight towards the back of the blades rather than the front. That's where pushing off the wall comes in.

Yeah, the "wag your tail" thing works well for a lot of kids, but too many just wiggle in place. Now they suggest that you have them turn their toes in and "penguin walk" backwards, shifting their weight from foot to foot. As they get more comfortable, that will translate into back wiggles, just like marching forward eventually becomes forward skating.

I've started using the backwards "penguin walk" as an intro to back stroking, or just for those who have trouble getting and keeping their weight forward.

You know, the book is really very helpful in terms of what the requirements are for each level, but teaching is an individual art that we each have to develop as we go. I've learned a lot from other coaches (and still do), and also from my students. Sometimes I even tell the adults that they are my guinea pigs for a new teaching technique, and ask them to let me know if they like it or not.

Emberchyld
10-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm not an instructor, but what's worked for me with family and others for back wiggles is to describe it as a hula dance. Shaking the bottom usually ends up with them moving too fast, but a hula gets better weight transfer. Plus, kids seem to find it fun to do the swaying arm movement and sing a "hula song" as they do it. Uhm... adults... not so much :twisted:

Query
10-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Wiggle will make you go forward if you are going forward first, backward if you are going backward first. Can also be affected by a forward or backward lean. Try it. I just did.

Just like stroking and crossovers. At least if you push mostly sideways.

General principle: An outwards sideways push move makes you go forward if your toes are pointing out, backward if your toes are pointing in. (Think of a tacking sailboat. A skate is a long thin planing boat hull. At least I think it planes.) When you are already moving, the torque of the ice against your blade tends to align it to keep you going. (I think it does plane, so the leading edge becomes less weighted, so is free to travel outward more than the trailing edge. It's wonderful when something makes sense. If it makes sense, it must be true.)