View Full Version : How Do You Unwind After a Competition?

SkatingOnClouds
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
After the Artistic competition on Saturday night, I was so relieved and happy, I was looking forward to sitting up late with my husband, drinking lots of red wine while I re-hashed every bit of the whole experience. Except he didn't want to play the game, he took off to his study to let me wind down alone. It was a most unsatisfying end to the experience.

Because I get so wound up before the comp, I think the adrenalin rush and huge emotional release calls for serious celebration and debriefing before finally unwinding.

Which has me wondering how others feel after a competition, and how you all like to wind down from it. Are you the rock star type who needs to party hard and trash the hotel room, or the quiet reflective type who likes to sit quietly and re-live the experience alone?

tidesong
10-07-2007, 09:25 PM
I will either go out with my friends for some food (so its quieter) or for nationals we have a organized dinner at a hotel with most of the competitors, parents, committee and judges there which is less quiet but all are fun and generally gives me a place to chat and yeah thats how I wind down.

mikawendy
10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Usually, I pack up all my stuff and drive home, then realize I'm exhausted from the physical and mental exertion, take a hot shower and then veg out on the couch or go to bed. I'm pretty spent after a competition.

doubletoe
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
If I do well, I definitely need to celebrate until the adrenaline wears off! If I don't do so well, it all depends on how late it is, but I need to process, whether it's alone or with my husband. I wish I could have been there to share that bottle of wine and hash our your competition experience with you! :(

jazzpants
10-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Definitely at least food of some sort. I usually have my last meal about 2-3 hrs before the event and it's usually something very light b/c I'm too stressed to eat & don't want to have food weigh me down right before my event. I think this year I'll also bring some dried fruit, almonds & some Baby Bel Light so I won't have a crash after the event.

After that, a quiet dinner w/DH & very warm shower to relax & get all those pins, hair net, & especially HAIR SPRAY that my hairdresser (primary coach) puts on me!!! (His biggest joke on me is usually on how long it would take for me to get all that stuff off my hair.) :twisted:

If the event is during the day, though or hubby can't be there (which is the case this year at Skate SF for my artistic & AN) I'm definite open to lunch w/my skating buddies! :D

Doubletoe, I definitely would like to do dinner or lunch w/ you after your event at AN, assuming you're not too worn out, of course. :)

Mrs Redboots
10-08-2007, 01:47 AM
I stave of adrenaline crash with plenty (at least 4 squares and occasionally 6) of dark chocolate, ideally dark fruit and nut chocolate. And a couple of mouthfuls from my hip-flask. And we play "We are the champions!" in the car on the way home. But we're always exhausted.

Thin-Ice
10-08-2007, 02:11 AM
I usually need to spend time talking with my skating buddies before I can leave the rink. I don't know how it works at other events, but it seems I'm always the one who rounds up everyone for a group photo (not JUST the medalists at local competitions.. I want a photo of EVERYONE who competed in my group.. or at my last event we just rounded up all the adults and took a goofy, fun photo. I always tell everyone BEFORE the event I would like a complete group photo, so they're not surprised by my request after they skate and have already taken off skates and costumes.). Then I grab something to eat and head to the stands to watch any events still going on. I have to see my skating buddies (kids or adults... I need to watch others perform so I can lose my voice cheering for them). And then I usually head home for a long, hot bath and some hot tea.

Skate@Delaware
10-08-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm usually very hungry from only eating lightly so I scrounge around for a big pig-out meal...then it's usually a drive home that's about an hour. Then a hot shower calling my mom and some friends, and crash after eating some candy!!!

MissIndigo
10-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Pizza and pints. :yum: We kept it all civilized, mind you. ;) Good times, good times.

TimDavidSkate
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Popeyes/Pizza, Margarita, Smirnoff, and sleep

SynchroSk8r114
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Synchro Competitions:
Typically, we're flying home on the plane, so I pop in my iPod and kick back because I've probably been going nonstop all weekend and I'm tired. I also like to read a totally mindless magazine, like Cosmo or Glamour where I can look at the cute clothes and hot men. :lol:

Once I get home, I can't wait to see my family and boyfriend and tell them every single detail of my trip and competition...thank God, they endure my ramblings for hours on end.

Oh, yeah - bubble baths and hot showers are always nice. Gotta wash all the synchro hairspray outta my hair! ;)

Muskoka Skater
10-08-2007, 10:50 AM
What I do after a competition is go to friends and hang out. Another thing I would do is lay down and watch a movie. I also sometimes get out the book I'm reading or a magazine and just relax while reading. It doesn't really matter what you do afterwards as long as you feel relaxed. I almost forgot eating junk is also good:yum:!!

doubletoe
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Doubletoe, I definitely would like to do dinner or lunch w/ you after your event at AN, assuming you're not too worn out, of course. :)

You betcha! Or even better, let's do it after YOUR event! I'd love to celebrate your first AN! :D

miraclegro
10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, this time i was so proud of myself and my outcome that i treated myself to a Krispy Kreme donut and a new skating costume. I had gone by myself this time, so that was my treat! I guess the drive home was the unwind!