View Full Version : Mounting blades to boots

Bill_S
10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I've created a web page showing steps for mounting blades to skating boots...

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating/mounting_blades.html

It's the same process I used for my last pair of skates. They lasted five years before my ankles wore through the inside leather of the boots, so I'm confident in the mounting process.

This information might help someone who has to remount a blade to a boot, or if you are a die-hard DIY person.

Sessy
10-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks Bill! :)
I have that old pair of blades still lying (they were bent straight but can never again be used for jumping) which I might yet mount on some cheap boots someday (for like friends who wanna learn or something).

Query
10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
What a great website!

Super clear pictures too.

Your other pages at

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~schneidw/skating

are also excellent! I bet your classes are great too - wish they were at a location convenient to me.

I need a new blade. I was going to let an expert do a first mount, then change it using the methods I described at

http://www.geocities.com/grunes/falling.html#bootmod

but your directions are so clear, I may try it.

I've now added your page to my list of links on that page.

People always disagree on minor details. Phillips head screws are :twisted:EVIL:twisted:. I think the blade should be centered down the principle arch of the foot, which may or may not match the insole center. It wouldn't hurt to mention that once mounted, modifications to the boot can eliminate virtually all foot problems. I tape insoles to match the bottom contours of my feet - balances the boots, skate a couple times with wet socks, then punch out excess pressure points. But these are minor issues. I love your page.

Sessy
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey I've got a question, I surfed your site - it's very good! - but do you happen to have mounted the pic's/snowwhites yourself? If you have, is it compareable to your description of blade mounting on ice skates?

(reason of question: I wanna buy snowwhite frames and mount them on my old boots but nobody in the netherlands is familiar with the stuff it seems, at least, not the skating shops, when I ask I first have to explain what snowwhites are - they don't know. I could get em pre-mounted with boots like a friend of mine but it boosts the price and the boots are by a brand I'm unfamiliar with and don't know how it will fit my feet, if at all.)

So if I'm gonna order those I'd rather have some idea of how those are supposed to be mounted.

Bill_S
10-12-2007, 09:14 AM
...do you happen to have mounted the pic's/snowwhites yourself? If you have, is it compareable to your description of blade mounting on ice skates?

Yes, I mounted the PIC frames to my boots myself. I don't recall if they have slotted holes for temporary mounting or not. I can't examine them right now because I left the skates at the roller rink last night for new wheels and bearings.

As I recall, I just mounted them with the front wheel centered on the apex of the toe box, and the rear wheel centered on the apex of the heel. That worked well enough.

You don't have to Sno-Seal soles of boots for roller rinks. Skip that step.

Sessy
10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

The idea with the kneepads is really smart too!

I did something similar as well, cut up a few bike seats of gel (4 euro a piece, about 5 dollar) and the gel inside everybody thinks are bunga pads, and they work as well too - you can't even touch the table through them if you put them on a table. I have elbow and ankles protection from it, I cut up socks and stitched the gel to them - the ankle part of the socks fits perfectly over the elbows, but looks ugly. I was thinking of sewing lycra sleeves to attach them to (in skin-color for less visibility, as I train sleeveless). And I also padded some shorts (boy's swimming pants in fact, on sale) with sponges which make also wonderful fall protection!

I love fall protection: what's the point of hurting yourself needlessly?!

I'm loving your site for all the handy tips! :)