View Full Version : Bunga Blues

kander
10-06-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm having a hard time keeping my bunga pads in place. I have the sleeves that fit over the ankle. I've tried everything I can think of, but the pad is usually crunched up within minutes of ice time. Wrapping tape around it doesn't help, nor does a sock do anything to hold it in place. As a result, I've developed a nasty blister on my achilles tendon that is getting pretty ugly. Does anybody have any secret tips for keeping bunga pads in place?

teresa
10-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Try a Bunga sleeve. I've never had a buch up problem.

Teresa

Sessy
10-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Hmmm something of a similar problem here, I get blisters in 1 spot from those. I tried fixing them with sports tape, which works but the sportstape goes extremely icky sticky (and also leaves bits behind on the pad) for some reason. Haven't tried it with more expensive brands of sports tape yet by the way, dunno if that'd make a difference.

If you find a solution let us know.

emkayy
10-06-2007, 09:46 AM
That happened to me too with Bunga sleeves, so I stopped wearing them. But just today I used a sleeve (not Bunga but something similar, it's a gel sleeve) and wore it over my knee-highs. No blisters or bunching today :D I've never used just the disc ones before though.

NickiT
10-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I rarely have problems keeping my bungapad in place - have been using one every time I skate since breaking my ankle in 1999. I cut up a piece of tubigrip (tubular elasticated bandage) and put that on over the bunga to hold it in place. Does the trick for me.

Nicki

kander
10-06-2007, 12:05 PM
I rarely have problems keeping my bungapad in place - have been using one every time I skate since breaking my ankle in 1999. I cut up a piece of tubigrip (tubular elasticated bandage) and put that on over the bunga to hold it in place. Does the trick for me.

Nicki

Is tubigrip the name of the product? Where do you get it?

dbny
10-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Are you putting the sticky side next to your skin? My DD tried to do it with the cloth side next to the skin, which most definitely does not work.

doubletoe
10-07-2007, 01:39 AM
I use the gel ankle sleeve right on my skin, under thin cotton socks. If I make the mistake of using moisturizer on my legs on a skating day, they will slip down or bunch up, but as long as I keep that area dry (free of moisturizer or sweat), then they stay put.

NickiT
10-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Is tubigrip the name of the product? Where do you get it?

It's what we call tubular bandage here in the UK! I'm sure you must get it abroad though.

Nicki

cherriee
10-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm having a hard time keeping my bunga pads in place. I have the sleeves that fit over the ankle. I've tried everything I can think of, but the pad is usually crunched up within minutes of ice time.
I use two oval pads (http://http://www.jenskates.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=41) on my right ankle. I just wear tights over them. One of them (right at the ankle) always curl up. I'm thinking about buying the bunga ankle sleeves and would like to know if they work.
Kander: Are you holding your pads with the Bunga sleeves like this one (http://www.jenskates.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21)? It they don't work, I will seek alternatives. Thanks!

RoaringSkates
10-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I wear the ankle sleeves over my tights.

If I wear them against bare skin (I used to do this before I copped on), I sweat, my skin gets slick, and they shift and bunch up. But if I wear them over my tights/socks, I have no problem with them moving. They stay put. Between the friction of my sock and the pressure of my skate, those things don't move.

Of course, the gel side goes in, toward the skin. Good point!