View Full Version : ladies: clothing poll

becky_girl
10-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Ladies:

When wearing skating dresses and/or skirts
(vs. training days wearing skate pants instead of skirts/dresses),

how many layers (& which ones are they) do you like on the bottom half?

(i.e., A: undies + tight 1 + tight 2, then skirt or dress
B: no undies + tight 1 + tight 2, then skirt or dress
C: undies + 1 tight, socks maybe, then skirt or dress...
etc. etc.)

What are your combos?
What are your preferred types tights/underwear/socks?

Skittl1321
10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I never wear undies with tights. When I danced- if we were caught in practice with underwear LINES (not even visible undies hanging out like lots of the young girls have) you were fined. If you had them on near a performance, and were told to take them off, you sat out the next performance. It was completely forbidden, so the message stuck.

If the rink is a "cold rink" i'll wear two pairs of tights. (Always have an extra in my bag)

But, normally I wear one pair, no undies, plus dress. I skate barefoot.

I bought a bunch of the footless black capezio tights from dance factory outlet for $1- so those are my current practice tights. I have some Mondor stirrup tights I like. I think I might also have some danskin tights. My favorite tights ever are microfiber by body wrappers (dance tights), but they aren't thick enough for skating, and I prefer to not wear two pairs because it constrains movement, so I had to give that brand up.

AshBugg44
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I always, always wear two pairs of tights. Doesn't matter if I'm skating in my toasty mall rink or not. I hate wearing only one pair of tights. So I always wear one pair footed, one pair over the boot, then my dress or whatever. No undies ever!

TreSk8sAZ
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I also never wear undies with tights. Comes from dance and theatre background. Normally, if I'm in a skirt/dress, I wear a pair of footed tights then a pair of OTB tights (sometimes footless, but rarely), then dress or whatnot. The thickness of the OTB tights depends on how cold the rink is, the undertights are always the same.

sk8tmum
10-05-2007, 12:08 PM
DD for skating: undies plus tights for practice. Tights plus high-cut panties for competitions. Coach does a butt-check (especially since that incident at a competition where you could read WEDNESDAY on her day-of-the-week panties, and it was Sunday). Doesn't like doing the anti-panty thing when she has to change in front of the other girls at competitions, so the hi-cuts are a compromise.

DD for dance: no undies, just tights.

jskater49
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
One pair of tights with pants.

Two pair (footed and OTB) with a dress

No undies. Ever.

j

Morgail
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
option C - no-show undies (of the high-cut or thong variety) + 1 pair of tights + knee-hi's if tights are OTB + skirt. Unless it is winter, and then I might go for an extra pair of tights instead the knee-hi's.

Under the OTB or footless tights, I wear knee-hi's, which are very thin (like tights). I fold the tops of them down over the hooks on my boot to protect the OTB/footless tights from getting holes from the hooks.

CaraSkates
10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Depends on if I'm getting changed at the rink or at home. ;) I also dance, I never wear undies for that but I do for skating practices. Mostly becuase I'm usually coming from someplace else and getting changed in the locker room at the rink with others...Competitions, no undies. I just put my footed tights on at home/hotel.
Skating practice - 1 pair footed tights always (Danskin, because we have an outlet, I get them majorly cheap), then 1 pair footless or OTB (Danskin w/pants or at warm rink, Mondor thick ones with dress at cold rink). I wear OTB tights for competition, then once they get a hole, move then to practice tights.
Competition - 1 pair footed tights (Danskin), then 1 pair OTB (Danskin for group numbers) or footless (GK or Mondor)

airyfairy76
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
I haven't started competing or testing yet, but I think I can safely say from my ballet years, that I could never wear undies under tights and a dress or leotard.

It was really frowned upon (the school I went to was very strict on appearance) and it grew to feel very odd. If a costume didn't include any leotard base (for example, national costumes), then we had to wear Sloggies underneath..

Sessy
10-05-2007, 01:21 PM
I just use tights from the Zeeman, a local discount shop for normal clothing. Their large sized tights I make over-the-boot tights from, the other ones either into footless or normal tights.

I like undies (no strings), then either :
a) two pair of tights and a dress/skirt
b) socks and footless tights OR normal tights, with very stretch jeans/pants as the second layer (favourite for when I have to go skating right after school, or right before)

on top I just wear an absorbing sports t-shirt or a turtleneck without sleeves. Sometimes bandshirts.

I could skate with a tank top or something, but I could never ever skate with only 1 layer on my legs. My legs freeze always and everywhere (not just during skating).

doubletoe
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I wear a beige cotton thong under my tights. It is comfortable, yet invisible.
I use over-the-boot tights, since nylon material over my feet makes them slide around in my boot (and stink, too!).
Under my boots, I use very thin, short cotton socks and gel ankle sleeves.

For regular practice, I always wear lycra stretch pants/leggings, a stretch tank top and a light warmup jacket over it. I wear thin cotton socks under my skates.

Ice Dancer
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I wear undies (used to wear the control ones but found those plus lycra gave me tummy ache so now just my regular ones) over the boot tights, socks and skirt. On the top I generally wear a vest type strappy top and a fleece. I used to wear a sweatshirt, but found if I got hot you couldn't strip off easily!

It's complicated this clothing business isn't it!

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I always wear undies, and they never show. Mind you, I do wear the type known as "Tangas", with a respectable-sized business area, and very little joining front and back. I even have three flesh-coloured pairs especially for competitions!

If I'm training and wearing a skirt, it's normal underpants, tights, then a pair of big "Bridget-Jones" style control top black knickers on the top, to keep me decent and hold my tights up and my tummy in. If I'm wearing trousers (trackie bums or legging-style), then just pants, trousers and nylon "pop-sox".

For competition, flesh-coloured pants, over-boot tights, nylon pop-sox. Nothing ever shows, and I always double-check. I would hate to have to wash my dresses after every competition!

liz_on_ice
10-05-2007, 03:04 PM
One or two pairs of tights, depending on temperature. confess, I wear undies with my practice skirt and dresses. :giveup:

Not for competition though. I tried a thong last time. Never again. I'll just go without undies next time.

dbny
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
One pair of tights with either dresses/skirts or pants. I would never dream of wearing undies with tights as I grew up in the "stockings" era before pantyhose. IMO, tights are just another form of pantyhose, and the name says it all - two products in one.

jskater49
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
My coach advised me to buy a thong once when I had to test on my period. I went to the store and do you know I could not bring myself to buy one. It's weird - I don't feel bad not wearing any panties...but a thong - nope that is just too nasty! :oops:

j

Skittl1321
10-05-2007, 04:54 PM
My coach advised me to buy a thong once when I had to test on my period. I went to the store and do you know I could not bring myself to buy one. It's weird - I don't feel bad not wearing any panties...but a thong - nope that is just too nasty! :oops:

j

You know, this will be TMI- but I think a thong on my period would be WORSE than not wearing anything. In this case, I would definetly wear 2 pairs though.

IMO, tights are just another form of pantyhose, and the name says it all - two products in one.
ITA If they have a cotton gusset sewn in- they are meant to be worn without.

daisies
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
For practice, I wear undies (Playtex microfiber chiffon bikini -- whisper light, high cut and comfy; I don't do thong!), one pair of tights (Danskin microfiber or one of the cheapie kind from Target, like Cherokee or Exhilaration) and then my Se_Ku pants and a T-shirt.

For competition, same kind of undies, in flesh-color; flesh-color footed tights and either OTB or footless flesh-color tights over that, then my dress.

SynchroSk8r114
10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
For practice:
No undies then...
1 Mondor microfiber in-the-boot tights then...
1 Mondor heavy over-the-boot tights (I don't even think they make this kind anymore) then either...
Long stretch pants or skirt/dress, depending on my mood and if I'm coaching after practice

For competition:
No undies then...
2 Mondor microfiber in-the-boot tights to stay extra warm on the legs then...
Dress, of course!

dbny
10-05-2007, 06:08 PM
ITA If they have a cotton gusset sewn in- they are meant to be worn without.

Exactly! The cotton gusset is essential.

looplover
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM

j

haha I'm just the opposite. If you get the cotton ones you don't even feel 'em.

Signed,

Daily member of the no visible pantylines club

SkaterBird
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
When I'm wearing a skirt for practice, I wear thin microfiber nude-colored, high-cut undies and 2 pairs of tights, one footed and one footless. I haven't tested or competed (yet - but maybe someday) but I imagine I'd wear the same type of underpants under any circumstances. I really do believe that both of my late grandmothers would appear on the ice and strangle me if I went without undies - I envy anyone who feels comfortable without, but I don't think I would. I tried to wear a thong a couple of times (not in a skating context, this was under pants) and I hated it. I'm the wrong generation for them, I guess. Hanes used to make the kind of nude microfiber undies that I wear, but lately I can't find any - probably discontinued, alas.

Mimi

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2007, 03:37 AM
Exactly! The cotton gusset is essential.I don't think they do them like that here, and wearing nylon tights next to my skin might be a disaster!

sexyskates
10-06-2007, 08:51 AM
I consider the regular microfiber tights to be like pantyhose - no undies needed ever. I put them on at home so I can stick my callous custions and the gel socks in the right places. I will change in a stall to go on to work after practice.

The rest is according to temperature. One pair of mondor footed tights and a sleeveless dress (with a tank like undershirt) for summer. Then I add the regular over the boot tights as it cools. Then I add thin sleeves and sleeved liners. Then as it cools further, thicker sleeves and silk sleeved undershirts plus a silk camisole, then matching jackets and sweaters. Then I go to the thick footless tights over the regular tights and a fleece dress. Finally, if it's in the 30's outside, I go to fleece pants over the regular tights, and turtlenecks and fleece tops.

For competition I wear the regular footed microfiber tights plus the over the boot regular thickness microfibers, and some sort of liner under my dress - thin fleece if it's cold! And I wear some sort of matching jacket or sweater during the warm up.

Skate@Delaware
10-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I wear two pair of mondor thick tights, and (yes) microfiber panties (never was a dancer)....they are high-cut tho and flesh colored. For shows I wear a "nudie" bodysuit which is a tank suit with clear straps.

Scarlett
10-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I like the Mondor microfiber tights (no undies) when I'm in a skirt. If I'm in OTB tights, I wear Mondor knees highs with the tops pulled over the hooks and then the OTB tights. I can't handle wearing too pairs of tights. And yes, I did/do dance.

ibreakhearts66
10-07-2007, 02:14 PM
i generally wear 3 pairs of tights, but the combo varies (sometimes 1 footed, 2 OTB, sometimes 3 OTB, sometimes 2 OTB and 1 Footless sweater tights...). i usually wear a thong, but sometimes no undies

NCSkater02
10-07-2007, 04:21 PM
High cut panties, footed and footless tights--always. I tried commando once--it was just too weird to repeat.

Most of the time, I wear a dress on top, but will occasionally wear runner's tights and tshirt.

Fleece jacket, hoodie, or sweatshirt on top of that.

tidesong
10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
A: Undies + Running/Gym/Yoga thick tights + polot/runningtee/tank + ankle stockings

B: High cut undies + footless tights or OTB tights + leotardnskirt or dress + ankle stockings