View Full Version : Volunteering at Regionals: Stupid question

Skittl1321
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Okay, here's idiot question of the day.
I'm volunteering at regionals. One day I'm announcing, the next day I'm working as a runner.

Does it matter what I wear?

I worked as an ice monitor and did registration for Iowa winter games, and just did Jeans and a T-shirt, but I'm wondering if I need to look nicer since regionals is a "better" competition.

I do know to wear a jacket though :)

jenlyon60
10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd focus on dressing warmly unless you're working registration or something that's not in the actual rink area.

Some volunteers might dress nicer, most will probably wear normal jeans or khakis with a warm top.

techskater
10-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Wear something warm and make sure it's something no one can talk about behind your back. I have some friends who are judges who have interesting shoes and who were talked to by their monitor for their choice of footwear. Yikes!

jterrij
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Generally I have found the annoucers to dress more professionally (but be sure to bring a nice warm coat and gloves!). Runners are definitely casual - many kids do running for us. Wear something comfortable because typically you will be running back and forth between the ice, the music table, accounting and the results area. It's an active job but one of my favorites because you do so much moving around. Bring a coat just in case but I never wore mine because I was running so much between ice and lobby that I was warm and never needed my coat or gloves.

SynchroSk8r114
10-05-2007, 08:39 AM
You can probably get away with a nice pair of jeans and a dressier sweater. If you've got 'em, layer a pair of skating tights under your jeans because, trust me, you'll get cold. Maybe consider bringing along a polar fleece-type zip-up. After spending hours on end in the cold, you'll be glad you brought it, even if you don't think you'll need it. Basically, you can get away with a nice pair of jeans and a warm top for a runner, but you may want to look a little more put together for announcing.

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Generally I have found the annoucers to dress more professionally
Why? Whenever I've announced - quite often, these days, people seem to like the way I do it - I've been hidden away in the music box and could have been in my nightdress for all anybody was looking at me!

jterrij
10-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Why? Whenever I've announced - quite often, these days, people seem to like the way I do it - I've been hidden away in the music box and could have been in my nightdress for all anybody was looking at me!

Why? I really don't know to be honest. I personally don't care if someone wears jeans in the announcer's box - I mostly care about whether you can understand them when they announce. But I have found that in general most of the announcers tend to wear something a bit more professional (ie dress slacks and a nice sweater or shirt). Although they also tend to cover whatever they are wearing up with a coat too so I'm not sure it really matters ;) This is in regards to larger competitions - I have found basic skills competitions I have seen to be a lot more casual.

Morgail
10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Most of the people I saw volunteering at EGL Regionals tonight were all dressed comfortably. Some in jeans & a sweater, others in stretchy pants and sweatshirts.

Ice T
10-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I'll give you my insider tip, because I work the camera often at competitions. Get some of those little instant heat packs that heat up by themselves when you open and shake them. They are small and you can stick them one in each pocket of your jacket to keep your hands warm, especially if you are doing jobs that you cannot wear gloves because you have to write or push buttons or whatever.

I also agree about the dress as stated earlier. Nicer clothes are good for when you are announcing so that you look professional, but casual pants or nice jeans and a good pair of walking shoes are just fine for being a runner. Bottom line in my personal opinion (take or leave it) -- be comfortable and warm, but look good. You are going to be around hundreds of people and looking professional will help command the respect of others.

liv2skate
10-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll give you my insider tip, because I work the camera often at competitions. Get some of those little instant heat packs that heat up by themselves when you open and shake them.

I swear by those things!

icedancer2
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I swear by those things!

I swear by the little toe-warmers that work in the same manner - they are usually harder to find at the "outdoor-store" types of places but they are great. They are flat and have some adhesive that sticks to your socks and somehow the whole thing fits into your shoes - this has saved my life when judging for long periods of time in cold arenas!