View Full Version : Testing Question - skirts

momsk8er
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm working up the courage to take my first test in over 30 years. One of my coaches told me there is a rule that you have to wear a skirt for tests (for women of course). Is this correct? I have never seen women test in pants, but I looked through the rulebook and couldn't find anything about proper attire. Did I miss something?

Ok even if there is no rule, would it be a good idea? I don't like skating in skirts, and don't own one. Of course you had to wear little white gloves when I tested as a kid, but I know that rule has been tossed.

Thanks.

jskater49
10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
A few years ago the USFS entered the 21st century and GASP allowed ladies to wear pants to compete and test. Some may tell you to wear a skirt to please old fashioned judges. I say, wear what makes you comfortable and skate your best. If you do wear pants, make sure they are well fitting so that your line shows well. If you want to be more traditional, you could wear a little skirt over skating pants.

j

icedancer2
10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't know - it may depend on the discipline - for dance I believe that you may have to wear a skirt... but maybe that is just for competition.

What test are you taking?

momsk8er
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I hope to test Adult PB moves and FS.

miraclegro
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I know several ladies who are more self-conscious in the traditional skirts, so they either make their own, or have the dresses made for the skirts to be a tad longer.

Best wishes on your test. I do think the judges may see your form/technique better in a skirt/dress for testing purposes. That is just my 2 cents.

Kim to the Max
10-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I have seen several websites (I don't know off the top of my head...they were ones out of the reference list on this board), but, they will make dresses that are of an "adult freestyle" length, so that they hit more mid-thigh than traditional skirts.

But, I also know that in the rulebook, it does say that, "Ladies in singles and pairs may wear skirts, trousers and tights (including unitards). (page 260, section 3553)"

So, I would say, wear what you are comfortable in, as long as you look neat and well put together. I wouldn't go testing in a pair of old sweats and a ratty t-shirt, but if you are wearing a new pair of leggings and an appropriate top, I don't see a problem with it.

--Kim

jenlyon60
10-03-2007, 05:05 PM
You do not have to wear a skirt, but you should wear something that looks nice and is form-fitting.

If you don't feel comfortable in a shorter freestyle skirt, consider getting a dress that's "dance length" (mid thigh or lower).

Or wear a pair of nice black running tights with a leotard and a wrap skirt.

Some examples:

http://www.allaboutdance.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11813/.f?sc=2&category=742

or

http://www.danskin.com/women-dance-skirt-9562.html

doubletoe
10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, a wrap skirt over a leotard seems to be a popular option and dancewear stores usually have plenty to choose from. Having said, that, it's also a worthwhile investment to buy a simple black "test dress" and a pair of tights if you plan on continuing testing more than once. A dress and tights are also good to have just to get used to the feeling of skating in them for competitions! :)

dbny
10-03-2007, 06:38 PM
I do think the judges may see your form/technique better in a skirt/dress for testing purposes.

ITA, and will further propose that men be require to wear skirts/dresses for exactly the same reason :twisted:.

techskater
10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
ITA, and will further propose that men be require to wear skirts/dresses for exactly the same reason :twisted:.

dbny - that totally cracks me up!!!! I am sure there are some men who would be happy to comply with your rules!!!! LOL!

double3s
10-03-2007, 07:07 PM
I have seen adult women test in nice black atheltic pants (like yoga pants) and a nice top. A skirt is definitely not necessary.

vesperholly
10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Best wishes on your test. I do think the judges may see your form/technique better in a skirt/dress for testing purposes. That is just my 2 cents.
I think any form-fitting outfit would do the trick. Baggy sweatshirts and running pants are bad. Slim-cut yoga pants are good.

RinkRat321
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
im not sure but i don't think theres a written rule about it. look at it this way, tests for most people are already stressful enough, you don't want to worry about if pants are acceptable on top of everything else going through your head on test day. i would just stick with the skirt.

dbny
10-03-2007, 10:35 PM
im not sure but i don't think theres a written rule about it.

Now you can be sure - there is a written rule:

...in the rulebook, it does say that, "Ladies in singles and pairs may wear skirts, trousers and tights (including unitards). (page 260, section 3553)"

dooobedooo
10-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Can't imagine how anybody would actually think twice, when they have a perfectly good reason to buy a glam new skating dress ....

:mrgreen:

sexyskates
10-04-2007, 07:00 AM
I would try to look as nice and appealing as possible for the judges - they like skirts! I find that dressing up gives me more confidence and makes me more aware of my posture. Also when attending any important event, it's better to be over dressed than under dressed.

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I think any form-fitting outfit would do the trick. Baggy sweatshirts and running pants are bad. Slim-cut yoga pants are good.
Anything with a FLARED bottom is a bad idea....flares + toepicks = disaster!

You just want to look NICE...whether you wear a skirt or pants; pick what you are more comfy in. If you normally wear pants and decide to go with a skirt/dress, start wearing it a few weeks before your test, so you get used to it.

If you get a new outfit for your test, wear it a few times beforehand so you can make sure there are no surprises (that it moves with you, nothing catches, fits correctly and all that).

aussieskater
10-04-2007, 07:58 AM
momsk8er, are you testing moves, dance or free? Because as icedancer2 pointed out, if you're testing dance, I believe you have to wear a skirt. (Why the ISU allowed singles and pairs skaters to wear pants, but not dancers, beats me.)

Skittl1321
10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Now you can be sure - there is a written rule:

hasn't it been argued before that this rule TECHNICALLY governs competitions not tests?

(Though I believe the arguement was actually for mens wear- that they are required to wear pants in competitions, and nothing is said for tests. But since the rule is in the same place in the book- nothing seems to be actually said about TEST attire for women.)

I'm most interested by the comment that you used to have to wear white gloves. Since now testing in gloves seems to be discouraged unless the judges send the message to keep skaters in gloves and jackets because it's so cold. I guess it was even colder doing figures.

That said- look presentable. One of the pre-pre girls in my last test session had a parent freaking out because she forgot to take her jacket off after the warm up and took her test in it. She passed because her moves were passable, and the outfit isn't what's being judged. As long as you look neat and presentable, you should be fine. I personally like to wear a dress to test, because I feel like a skater and it helps the mood. In practice, I only ever wear track pants.

antmanb
10-04-2007, 08:44 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Ant

antmanb
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
What i'm gleaning from this thread is that if i used some make up and wore a dress or skirt then i might be more conscious about certain apsects of my skating and therefore improve might my posture and line....:lol: Well it couldn't make either of those things worse!!!

Ant

Mrs Redboots
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM
I know at least one judge who is a self-confessed "leg man" (which, arguably, is why he's a judge!), so if I know he's going to be there I wear my shortest dress.... never fools him, though, alas.....:cry:

But I have seen one woman test in a tracksuit and, as far as I know, nothing was said to her. She passed.

kayskate
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I have seen several websites (I don't know off the top of my head...they were ones out of the reference list on this board), but, they will make dresses that are of an "adult freestyle" length, so that they hit more mid-thigh than traditional skirts.

I have several such skirts and have tested in them. I don't know if I would test in a "longer" skirt again. I used to wear them often over leggings for practice and would up taking them off b/c the long fabric got caught b/w my legs. That sounds ridiculous, but it is true. Especially if the fabric is not slinky and the pants/tights are not very smooth. The fabric can kind of abrade and stick together. Whatever you wear, try it out before the test. Make sure it is comfortable and you feel confident in it.

Kay

liz_on_ice
10-05-2007, 08:54 PM
What i'm gleaning from this thread is that if i used some make up and wore a dress or skirt then i might be more conscious about certain apsects of my skating and therefore improve might my posture and line....:lol: Well it couldn't make either of those things worse!!!

Ant

But, if wearing a skating dress makes you feel like you're dressing up like a twelve year old and feel horribly self-concious, then skip it. Judges prejudices can't sink you worse than stiff skating will.

Sonic
10-10-2007, 05:51 AM
But, if wearing a skating dress makes you feel like you're dressing up like a twelve year old and feel horribly self-concious, then skip it. Judges prejudices can't sink you worse than stiff skating will.

I totally agree with this. As in everyday life, if you wear an outfit that makes you give off an 'actually-I-feel-like-an-idiot-wearing-his' vibe, then guess what...?

S xxx

antmanb
10-11-2007, 04:12 AM

It was actually just my attempt at humour becuase i'm a man!!!!! ;)

Ant