View Full Version : questions re: this Todd Eldredge skating clinic thingy

Mel On Ice
09-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Well, I won a trip too! Only mine is in Scottsdale Arizona, quite a ways from St. Louis! Can anyone who has gone tell me if it is worth the mad dash across the country to skate with him for a half hour? I personally think "yes," but I just got back from vacation in San Francisco.

Help please... I have to RSVP soon! I'm pretty jazzed, I think this is quite a nice surprise. First Brian Biotano wishes me a happy birthday, now this!

flo
09-23-2002, 02:45 PM
I drove 2 hours to Philly. I had a great time, but would not have driven for more than that. It was nice to see the adults in then area, but as you said the on-ice time was 1/2 hour. This time was spilt with Todd, Richard Clallahan and the helper coaches. They were all great, and I did get some usefull tips, but if it were further away I would not have gone.

Mel On Ice
09-23-2002, 02:47 PM
I entered for the ones closer, I think in Alabama and Atlanta. Should I hold out and see if I also "win" a spot to attend these? I have all kinds of previous engagements coming up, and this may be my only chance to skate if I win others. I have a voucher for a free round-trip flight anywhere I want to go, and I have a direct connection to Phoenix from StL. Argh, I just don't want to go alone!

manleywoman
09-23-2002, 05:23 PM
I drove two hours to Philly too, but my parents live there so I made a weekend of it. It was fun, but it's not worth it to go fom St Louis to AZ. You get 10 minutes with regular rink instructors, 10 minutes with Todd and 10 minutes with Richard. And that's in a large group. I'd save the plane ticket for something else.

Flo...sorry I didn't get to meet you! I was in the first group, 12:00.

Michigansk8er
09-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Mel,

I drove to Rochester Hills. I had a great time, but don't think I would have flown anywhere. I was lucky to get some one-on-one with both Todd and Richard. Also was selected from the crowd for some promo photos with Todd, so that was fun too. I'm sure they pitched them, but it was fun to be selected.

I'd hold out for a closer one. One of the teens where I skate didn't get selected on the first go-around, but after the initial rsvp's they must have sent out more invites. She didn't get it until the Thursday beforehand, but was able to go.

Have fun if you get to go!!!!! When I went we talked Richard into having an adult group. There were 4 of us. Fun!!!! :)

Debbie S
09-23-2002, 07:37 PM
I'm inclined to agree with flo and manleywoman. Like them, I drove 2 hours, and it was definitely worth it to see Todd and skate on the same ice with him, and meet other adult skaters, but I wouldn't have flown anywhere for it. However, if you have a free plane trip and want to make a mini-vacation out of it, then I would go for it. But I wouldn't go just for the skating clinic.

If you do go, make sure you work out transportation details. I imagine the rink's not in the middle of a city and something tells me cab drivers aren't particularly well-versed in the locations of suburban ice rinks. I read a hellish-sounding transportation story on the TEN reports page from a NYCer who went to the clinic in Philly.

Vicki
09-24-2002, 02:40 PM
I also won a spot at the Scottsdale thingy and have been debating whether or not it's worth a flight from L.A. plus the car rental. Hmm...

Mel On Ice
09-24-2002, 08:36 PM
well, enough debate, I'm going. Vicki, shall I look for you? My friend Ana tells me there's going to be free hot dogs :D 8O :?

not that free tube steaks would be my sole reason for travelling across the country... but is sure helps!

Ana had a great time and said that since I already have a free flight, I should. With the hotel room, food and rental car, I'm only looking at about $100 in expenses.

Vicki
09-24-2002, 11:03 PM
How did you get a free flight? I can't find a round trip airfare under $136. I guess that's not bad, but I was hoping for something really cheap.

flo
09-25-2002, 09:24 AM
You can always try priceline. I did that for Nationals. I really had a good time, and it was great to see the other adults and posters, although I didn't get to cross paths with manleywoman. It was a fun day.
PS Don't expect any warm up on ice, so do as much as you need off ice. We did a waltz jump, then double sals.

dbuckley
09-25-2002, 09:27 AM
I don't post often, but I will also be at the Scottsdale Todd skate. My time slot is 2:00pm. I live here in Phoenix so if anyone coming in from out of town has any questions let me know. I will try to answer them.

Mel On Ice
09-25-2002, 03:58 PM
We are on the same schedule. I will be easy to spot, I will wear my Synchro St. Louis jacket.

FYI - I redeemed a free round trip ticket voucher from Southwest in order to go.

Mel On Ice
09-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Leslie - if you go to the USFSA and browse the photos, a shot of you is posted. I see you more on that site than I do in real life. Miss getting together and skating. :( Maybe some time this year, we'll have to get together. Denise is skating out of Ann Arbor now and if I come visit my folks, LAnsing is perfect.

Michigansk8er
09-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Mel,

I hope you can get to Lansing. That would be GREAT!!!! We need an ice/lunch outing again. It's been way too long.